Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Kids have no say in the matter regardless that an inane argument.

Either the mountain moves, or you do. You choose which is more achievable for yourself.

Once religion is removed from schools, there will be more choice. I've no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The mountain is only there because of religion. So remove the mountain.

I fully accept that parents are forced to either move schools or have their child excluded. I happen to think that is inexcusable and should, and can be, solved tomorrow.

There is no justification for the religious orders maintaining their presence in schools. Lease the land at a nominal rate, opened ended, at be done with it.

It is the right thing to do, hence why it will never happen

Schools are also oversubscribed.

If religion was gone tomorrow you've still no guarantee of getting into your nearest school.

Catchments also change. You might be the catchment for 3yrs but on the 4th year they change it excluding you or reducing your priority.

All very true, but it actually supports my position. Why place further restrictions when restrictions already exist doe to lack of resources.

No it doesn't you're suggesting there are infinite resources. Can't possibly be true.

They didn't place new restrictions. You've created a set of restrictions you won't accept compromise on. No exposure to any faith. No travelling further than the nearest school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Leroy the baptism barrier in schools admissions policies was removed by the then Minister for Education four years ago -

https://www.thejournal.ie/baptism-barrier-removal-irish-schools-4265552-Oct2018/?amp=1

There’s no requirement to join religion, and every child has the right to attend a religious ethos school without participating in religious instruction. Also, every child has the right to a religious education, so the idea of arguing that children should be deprived of that right is unlikely to go anywhere as it would be discrimination on the grounds of religion.

The current situation is not the fault of the Church, it is a failure of the State to provide for the educational needs of children who are not Catholic. I’ve given the examples already of two different Ministers for Education singing from the same hymn sheet as it were in stating that their Department will not fund the establishment of new schools in areas where there are sufficient school places available in existing schools in the area.

The whole Forum on Pluralism and Patronage, and this new effort where they are identifying areas around the country where divestment might be possible, amounts to nothing more than stalling tactics in an effort to ignore the giant glaring elephant in the room - the States continuing failure to uphold the rights of children, and it’s not just non-Catholic children, it’s all children, as there are just as many Catholic children excluded from Catholic schools for reasons other than their religion.

There’s other legal nitty gritty involved as to what circumstances schools are lawfully permitted to discriminate against anyone, such as, seeing as you mentioned it earlier- gender. Single-sex religious ethos schools are permitted to discriminate on the basis of both religion and gender. The absence of an alternative being provided for, is the fault of the State.

It’s why I gave the example earlier of the case of Secular Schools Ireland’s appeal against the Department of Education - the Department could easily have worked with SSI instead of breaking their balls over the fact that they didn’t fill out the application form correctly, but they didn’t. It’s an example of pure ball breaking behaviour, instead of trying to support a patron body in the establishment of a new school -

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/0302/856785-school-patronage-secular-schools-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's not about separating them it's about getting them to work together for the common good and share resources - and your still haven't answered my question about that: Where's the deal breaker?

For some reason, you seem to be going out of the way to find and create obstacles and allegories to promote illusions of separation and exclusion where they really don't exist for some reason; instead of trying to tell me what you feel the positives to the community are to the current situation.

I'm thinking you don't actually see any but haven't realised it yet.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Point out people go out of their way pick different schools is hardly going out of the way.

I suspect most people arguing they have to go to the local school have very little recent experience of school oversubscription's and catchments and admission policies...In Ireland.

Where did I suggest unlimited resources. It is actually the very opposite of what I am saying. I accept that isn't unlimited resources, and as such it is how best we utilise the resources we have. Currently, RCC schools make up a vast majority of schools. To give non RCC equal opportunity and access would require the building of additional schools, which is a waste of finite resources.

Far better to simply remove religion from the current schools and the problem disappears.

I am aware that a school cannot discriminate, any more thankfully , but all that does is create the situation that when doing religion the non RCC kid has to be excluded. Either read a book in the corner of go to another room. Imagine that. 'Hey Mary, you are not like the rest of us, sit over there while I pay attention to all these kids since you have a problem with our beliefs'

That is what people here are advocating should happen to little kids in school every day. Imagine what is going through the kids head. Why I'm I so different Daddy. Why can't I join in with my class? What makes me different from everyone else? And this is supposed followers of Jesus that are advocating this treatment.

Sorry, but was that meant as a reply to me....? Not very clear one way or the other and certainly doesn't answer any of the questions i posed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I was at St Anthony Novena in the Adam & Eve Church across from Four Courts last night.

Surprised how many was there , a beautiful church to be fair and it could probably hold 8/900 people , was two thirds full circa 600 at a guess. Lot of middle aged & older Dublin people from that neck of the woods, not exclusively though , was a number of 30/40 year olds and a few leaving cert types. The other main grouping was Indian /Sri Lankan peoples ( surprised how many of those).

Pleasant enough experience circa 50 minutes in a beautiful church, not everyone's cup of tea but brought a bit of calm to my busy life and i said a few prayers for some friends who asked me to say a prayer for them . Apparently on for the week.

You’re conflating the resources of the RCC, with the resources of the State. The schools which belong to the RCC - the State can do nothing about those. They are not the States resources.

It wouldn’t be easy, but the Government could quadruple the amount of public funding it allocates to education in the budget in order to fund the cost of building new schools in all areas which would be a lot easier to do than trying to remove religion from religious ethos schools they don’t own, and depriving children of their right to a religious education in the process.

Non-RCC children don’t have to be excluded. Their parents want them excluded, and the Department of Education leaves it up to each individual school how they deal with that according to the resources of the school, which, to be frank, aren’t much, nor are schools all that willing to accommodate children who’s parents are unwilling to permit them to participate fully in religious education in accordance with the ethos of the school.

There are people advocating that children should be deprived of their rights and treated differently depending upon that person’s own standards, it’s not solely the preserve of Christians, and the shoe is simply on the other foot were you able to remove religion from religious ethos schools.

The parents who advocate that their children should be treated differently are exactly the people who should have to explain to their own children why they want their children to be treated differently from all the other children in the school. Your existential hypothetical dilemma is no different to the child who asks Daddy why he can’t wear a Communion dress like all the other girls in his school. It’s not anyone else’s responsibility to explain that to someone else’s children.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If the communion and confirmation prep was being done outside school time, with perhaps a small cost involved, the numbers participating would plummet. This is exactly why the church holds onto its grip of primary schools so tightly.

Distance isn't the issue. ET schools are heavily oversubscribed, and all have local priority as their admission criteria, so anyone from a distance away has no realistic chance of getting a place.

If the communion and confirmation prep was being done outside school time, with perhaps a small cost involved, the numbers participating would plummet. This is exactly why the church holds onto its grip of primary schools so tightly.

That’s simply not true. In ET schools preparation for the sacraments is arranged by parents and the Church outside of school hours, and the number of parents doing so has been increasing, due to the fact that the vast majority of children in ET schools are Catholic.

The reason why the Church holds onto it’s schools, is because the Church OWNS the schools. Regardless of how many children are preparing for the sacraments in any given year, the school would still prepare children for the sacraments because it is part of the religious curriculum in the school which is part of a religious education, which is upheld by the Board of Management of the school, because they have a legal obligation to do so.

Distance isn't the issue. ET schools are heavily oversubscribed, and all have local priority as their admission criteria, so anyone from a distance away has no realistic chance of getting a place.

Every type of school in certain areas, primarily in Dublin, are oversubscribed. It isn’t just a matter of ET schools being oversubscribed. In attempting to address the issue the Minister for Education at the time abolished the Waiting lists where parents would have their children’s name down for any number of schools as soon as their children were born, years ahead of admission -

Waiting lists

Schools must phase out existing waiting lists by 31 January 2025. In the future, a school can keep a list of students who were unsuccessful because the school was over-subscribed. The school must use this list to fill any vacancies that arise during the school year.

All schools must have an admissions policy. This outlines the rules that are applied if the school is over-subscribed. These selection rules help the school decide which students to accept and in what order.

Schools cannot discriminate on any of the following grounds:

• Family status
    • Sexual orientation
    • Religion
    • Disability
    • Race
    • Membership of the Traveller community
    • Special educational needs

There are some exceptions to these rules:

And if you’re not already familiar with them, you can read about the exceptions to the rules above here -

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/admissions_policies_in_primary_and_secondary_schools.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS.

You effectively register your kid in a particular secondary school years before they start, but then they have an influx, they have to give preference to the siblings of kids already there, they have to give preference to kids in nearer catchment area so you are then fooked.

Then you have to scramble to find another school, you have to try and make sure that you can now gett access to buses but you only get a concession because the default route is to the school you can't now get into.

It is rich lambasting parents for not planning ahead when all our politicians, bar a few, our dept of education, our local planners do fook all planning ahead. 😡😡😡😡

Some of the people talking here are talking through their ar** when it comes to realising what our education system is like for many in this country.

Bollo* do we have enough school places or do you count sticking kids into prefabs in sports ground car parks for over three years as a school place, with access to a limited curriculum because they don't have facilities for labs, kitchens, etc.

You appear to know fook all about our current education system in a fair chunk of this country.

Finally some sense.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That's plainly not true. It's been the dominant discussion in this thread lately, but we talked about plenty here, like hospitals, crimes, confiscating RCC land to pay for criminal fines, things like that.

Schools is kind of a 'shooting fish in a rain barrel' in that it does come up a lot because it's popular with the parents on the thread to talk about it. But, it's missing the forest for the trees - the influence of the RCC in Irish society has waned slightly in the past generation or so, but is still by statute the dominant religion and attempts to reduce that domination are, unsurprisingly, extremely hard to do and rebuffed by the RCC and the State. The number of people practicing the religion is shrinking, because of many reasons that have been discussed here and other threads.

But, every thread that mentions the criminal enterprise known as the RCC sn't about places in the local school. Get real about that.

Post edited by Igotadose on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭jmreire

Tax payers, of course who ultimately pay all State related costs, which includes the professions needed for the functioning of the state, Nurses, Civil Service, Gardai etc etc. And of course Teachers. These positions have to be filled , regardless of who fill's them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭jmreire

Two schools, one run by a religious order, the other by the state. So the state school expenses and running costs are picked up by the state. Teacher salaries. maintenance, etc. And so are the religious order school's paid for by the state, as they fulfill a state function. If they did not exist, then the state would have to provide them. It does not cost the state anything extra, if they have to provide X Nr of school places in location Y, then that's what they have to provide and fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

So perhaps start canvassing for a new one.

Honestly, it's as if you want someone else to sort your issues out. What have you done, apart from moan at the religious instruction being done in schools?

Nothing you can do if the rules change. The sibling rule might be unfair but the alternative is chaos.

But people here move to somewhere where the only choice is a very religious school that's like something out of the 50s. Thats what I'm taking about.

While you know how the schools operate most of those posting about schools definitely don't. I don't they even have kids tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saying an argument is not coherent is not an insult. It's saying that an argument is not coherent.

All we're hearing is the same old defence of the status quo at all costs we've heard again and again dozens if not hundreds of times before, and found lacking each time before. The proportion of even the most nominal of catholics-in-name-only is nowhere near enough to justify control of 89% of primary schools. The results of this year's census will make the status quo even more indefensible.

Diarmuid Martin, archbishop of by far the largest catholic diocese in the country talked a great game about divestment but did basically nothing. Meanwhile in places like Malahide, school principals unleashed a massive campaign of lies to create enough FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) to block all change. Dept of Education allowing the existing patrons to control the divestment process is a sick joke

In theory non-catholics in Ireland do not have lesser rights, in practice they do. Not just about enrolling your kids in school, either. Taxpayer-funded jobs should be open to everyone on an equal basis regardless of their religion, but 94% of primary schools will not employ non-christians. Non-christians cannot become a judge, President or member of the Council of State as they require religious oaths.

This state of affairs might have been tolerable in the 19th century but it's no longer the 19th century we are living in.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That you only mention the same few subjects proves how limited theses threads are.

As priests die off the church is a dodo. Unless they bring in priests from other countries. Or they open it up to lay people. Unlikely.

It's already been explained on this thread several times by other posters as well as myself.

Almost all Educate Together schools are oversubscribed. When they're oversubscribed they prioritise children who live within their catchment area.

There's no point saying people should travel to an oversubscribed school because local children will fill all the places and there will be no place for the child travelling from outside the area.

You are lambasting people for.. what, exactly? Not taking their child every morning to a school miles away they couldn't get enrolled in, then staging some sort of sit-in?

You have some amount of sheer cheek with the "lazy". Nobody is more lazy than the parents who want the two big catholic days out / excuses for a booze-up, but complain if the local parish priest asks them to so much as take their kid to mass a couple of times on the lead up to the big day... They're fine with the catholic sacraments as long as they don't have to do anything or make any sort of an effort.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The excuses are getting stupider and stupider. Parents are obliged by law to ensure their kids are educated. Home schooling is not regarded by almost all as possible or desirable so they are in effect forced to enrol their children in a state-funded school - 94% of which are controlled by a church they may or may not be a member of. THAT is the problem.

You clearly have no experience whatsoever of secular schooling.

Ah the objection to that is that the non-religious kids, by being allowed to do homework or study another subject during religion time, would be gaining an "unfair advantage".

In other words admitting that religion class is a complete waste of time.

You really could not make this stuff up...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Perhaps you haven't heard, but there's a little bit of a housing issue all round Ireland, so many young couple have no real idea where they're going to be living in 4-5 years time. But I guess you'll enjoy your little lambasting of them for not predicting their landlords whims.

It's not about me, or my kids, or a 'new one'. It is about getting religion out of state schools, because that is the right thing to do.

What's your source for the increasing participation in sacraments in ET schools please?

That's certainly not my experience, but even if it was, there is no comparison. You can't compare two disparate groups of parents and assume same behviours.

Every school is NOT oversubscribed. Around here, the ET school is oversubscribed by 400% and one church school hasn't turned anyone away in years.

I'm aware of how school enrolments work.

Them that's THAT argument sorted - parisoniers pay for the religion and thus call the shots, the taxpayer pays for the education and thus calls the shots. If the church doesn't like it, it doesn't have to take the money. QED.

The proportion of even the most nominal of catholics-in-name-only is nowhere near enough to justify control of 89% of primary schools.

This is being disingenuous. The fact that 100% of religious ethos schools are owned by the Church, is the reason why 89% of primary schools in Ireland are controlled by the Church. If Government actually wanted to, it could quadruple the amount of public funding provided for education and build so many schools that it would dwarf the 3,000 schools owned by the Church. Parents would then be able to choose between a religious education for their children, and the new alternative provided by the State.

Going by the numbers of parents who say they want more choice in education, this would be a more viable option than divestment.

In theory non-catholics in Ireland do not have lesser rights, in practice they do. Not just about enrolling your kids in school, either. Taxpayer-funded jobs should be open to everyone on an equal basis regardless of their religion, but 94% of primary schools will not employ non-christians.

No they don’t, not even in practice. They’re not taxpayer funded jobs, they are public jobs, and they generally are open to everyone on an equal basis without discrimination. Discrimination is only permissible in certain circumstances and it must be a reasonable means of achieving a legitimate aim, in accordance with existing Equality Acts legislation.

100% of primary schools cannot discriminate against candidates on the grounds of religion, only in exceptional circumstances. To do otherwise can land the Board of Management in hot water -

The Court held that this section should be “ascribed a narrow orbit and it can only avail an employer where the conditions in which it is expressed to operate actually apply.” The Court held that the school “did not adduce any evidence on which it could be held that the canvassing of the private views of candidates for the post in issue on the question of religious patronage and pluralism was reasonable or necessary in order to maintain the religious ethos of the school”. The Court also found that there was no evidence to suggest that “whatever views the Complainant had on that topic would impact on her capacity to act in good faith and with loyalty to the school.”

https://hayes-solicitors.ie/News/Religious-Discrimination-exemption-examined-in-a-case-involving-a-teacher-and-a-school

• Advertisement

(a) The Twitterverse is not reality.

(b) Oppostion to Christian control of our society is not support for Islamic control of our society. 🙄 that's an incredibly daft claim.

The "I'm an atheist, but..." (or Atheist Butters as I call them) who proclaim their non-belief then go on to endlessly justify church control of state services and influence over society are amusing if nothing else.

Advertisement