Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

I think I see the real deluded ones in this thread now.

👀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

reasonable standard of player? this must be the worst squad we've had in a long long time, certainly in my lifetime and my fathers - no midfielders, no attackers, it's made up of bit part players and league 1 workhorses. we don't really deserve to be going to any tournaments with this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Lets, because you made a clown statement and proceeded to prove that you are a clown.

Football is a results business, that is why the scoreboard is shown in the corner of the screen, and not the possession statistic. Thats why the winner is judged on goals rather than passes.

So whether or not something was more pleasing on the eye makes no difference if the results didn't follow. Which they didn't, until year 3, when Potter had 3 years of working with Ashworth to bring in bargains from all over the world - the same Ashworth that has been headhunted by Newcastle who will be spending hundreds of millions over the next few years and trust him to do it.

Try badminton, the following is probably low enough that you can talk sh*te to yourself and nobody will call you out on it.

Logic:

The thread is about Stephen Kenny and his performance.

I respond by saying that Kenny isn't the true problem (on topic)

I offer an explanation for my above on topic response (i.e. grassroots football)

Geniuses say that's not allowed because it's not on topic

🤔🤔🤔

Honestly, the logic of the average football supporter has never been great. Probably explains why all the educated people flock to rugby. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why are you so angry and abusing everyone? chill the f**k out

• Advertisement

Compared to the rest of Europe, yes, it is a reasonable standard.

The Championship as I have already stated is the 11th best league in the World, and provided evidence to support. It isn't some pub league.

We are currently the 25th ranked team in Europe (taking into accounts Stephen Kennys tireless efforts to sh*t on our ranking) and 24 qualify for the next Euros. No reason why we shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Embarrassed the country? Go bang your head. We were in a group with the 2 finalists.

as I said a deluded fan base.

Because people are making statements which are utterly wrong - repeatedly.

That poster was just off the back of calling me dense but you didn't cry hysteria over that.

Trap definitely had a better squad though, even if it was aging a bit. I took a look and some of the names were:

Given, O'Shea, Dunne, Duff, Keane...

Even the likes of Whelan, McGeady, Walters, Andrews, Doyle would be very welcome in our current team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

How can anyone be baffled over our lack of ability to produce top players . We have NEVER produced top players here . We have thrown them over to England to see would they do it for us . The one man who hit a group together that brought us unbelievable underage success was Brian Kerr and he can’t even get an underage coaching role now .

There is no money in football in Ireland for many reasons . The country is too small and doesn’t have enough corporate backers to go round . GAA and Rugby are bigger draws and promoted much better . That’s where the banks , the big corporations all want to put their money and their promotion . None of them are going to get the publicity they want by putting up a million each year for the winners of the league of Ireland or for building facilities for Longford Town or Finn Harps academies

But all that’s another’s days work . The senior international managers job is to win games and qualify for tournaments and he has been abysmal so far .

If Kenny wanted to develop a style and produce a generation of more progressive footballers he should have stayed in his underage role and overseen everything.

But he chose the big job instead and has to be judged accordingly. Senior job is not a development role

• Advertisement

He did but getting hammered by the finalists in your Euro group and been hammered by a German side that went on to win that World Cup is hardly surprising results and certainly not "embarassing"

No. I think qualifying for a tournament is basically as good as winning it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

If you dont have the players you wont get the results, the way you talk that Klopp took the same bunch of players and made them into winners, he bought players that he needed and fitted them into what he wanted to do, International football is a lot different. You are stuck with a Callum Robinson and a Jeff Hendrick and a Jame McClean

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

There is not a reasonable standard of player there which is enough to make play offs and qualify for the odd tournament. What universe are you living in? We have a forward line of league 1 players and a championship player who cant score for his club and hardly gets a game. But yeah its the managers fault all the time......

I was curious about the overall level of the starting XI vs Armenia so I thought I'd lay it out, based on last season playing status.

Kelleher (PL)

Egan (Championship)

Duffy (PL)

Collins (PL)

Stevens (Championship)

Cullen (Belgian League)

Hendrick (Championship)

Coleman (PL)

Parrott (L1)

Robinson (Championship)

Ogbene (L1)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

These lads still think some journeyman coach can come in and "set the team up" to win these games.

I hope it happens, I hope Chris Houghton or whoever comes in, it will be hilarious watching as "keeping it tight and playing to our strengths" falls flat on its face. Hard to scrape 1-0 wins when you can't score that one goal lads and trust me, those players set up to play defensively won't be able to score sweet FA.

Before Armenia, Irelands recent results included very credible draws with Portugal and Belgium and 3 wins against the sort of teams people in here keep saying Ireland should be beating. Thats all been forgotten very quickly by the sort of people who can't really see the woods for the trees.

Tonight should be fun as well. Ukraine are clearly a better side, so a lot of lads here will be desperately hoping we don't see a repeat of the Portugal performance, that would really foul up the narrative wouldn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The narrative in the last campaign was that results dont matter that changing the style of play matters but that in this campaign we would get good results. Therefore if kenny is still not getting results at the end of the league of nations campaign he has been given a fair shot and should be replaced. Liam Brady was one of the few RTE pundits that was against giving a contract extension to Kenny and i fear he was right and we handcuffed ourselves to a manager with high ideals but little ability to implement them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭briany

Any 'top manager' would come into the Ireland setup and make pretty much the same assessment - it's a middling bunch of players, so in order to compete for places at finals, the team will have to play a cautious disciplined game, emphasise defence and see what can be nicked on the counter. And they will be fairly heavily criticised for this, as Trap was and as MoN was, especially if they refuse to play some midfielder who's getting regular games in the Championship.

I remember back in 2014, I think, when Scotland beat Ireland at Hampden, playing some attacking football and getting a goal off a nicely worked set piece move. You can guess what the chatter was on Boards football discussions - Scotland are actually trying to play football. They're kicking on while Ireland's same old game is obsolete and exposed. Fast forward two years later when Scotland's game plan ran out of steam and Ireland grinded out results, including one very impressive win over a fancied German side using the mighty goal kick long ball. Scottish fans on Tartan Army message board going, yeah Ireland might use the long ball, but look how effective it is. Round and round we go.

It's not that the manager should be absolved from blame, but that there is a bigger problem in Irish football and one that mangers have been patsies for. Change managers as often as you like, but the highs will still become less pronounced and the lows more humiliating until the team hits bottom and Irish football must face its demons being that there is no longer the money nor the prestige in the job to attract anything like a big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Surely to god Stephen must be looking at groups before a ball has been kicked and target the likes of Armenia as 6 pointers. Those games are win at all costs. The performance doesnt matter. He must surely know that losing to Armenia or drawing with them puts them under serious pressure.

Is this what we get for sticking with a guy that has had no real experience at a meaningful level of football?

There are huge problems in Irish football but they should be parked when beaten by teams like kenny has presided over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

No I’d say Kenny isn’t aware that winning is preferable

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

The Eire have a fairly hopeless bunch of players tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Any predictions on Kennys excuses after tonight's Match 🤔

We thought it was a Friendly 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It was a tough away fixture.

To be fair he wouldn't be far off, free tickets free flags, for the opposition fans..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

Its only first 10 mins but they've started brightly enough in fairness.....lacking in quality in final ball once or twice and Robinson butchered a shooting opportunity with a donkeys first touch

A lot better than Armenia game....they seemed to stand off Armenia for some reason.

We've a blunt attack. A league one wing back, a guy who warms the bench for west brom... This is the thing about the current setup, they can work the ball into the final third, and then...

You'd wonder how maestro Hughton would solve the lack of goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Now do the Armenia team. Let’s see what powerhouses them lads played for

• Advertisement

yep yep all our lads would be warming the bench in armenia, we heard you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement