Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Rugby Championship announced, beginning September 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In principle it should be on RTE. Watch for a schedule change. Premier Sports should also cover it (and they have form with very late schedule changes) though their pick up of the Nations League is causing havoc with their schedules. Very embarrassing for the league if their main U.K. broadcast partner dumps the Play offs like they did for the Top14 but I suspect room will be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They just haven't updated the schedule yet.

Premier say they have a live semi final at 7pm Saturday but there is no game at that time so it's obviously just a placeholder.

Be grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Match officials and TV confirmed. RTE will be showing the Ulster game and Premier will have both.

Poor Ulster get Mike Adamson on top of having to travel to Cape Town.

Adamson is fine imo. He had a high-profile feck-up before the 6N (the details of which escape me now) but overall he's a decent ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The URC team of the season has been released. As usual, there aren't many Leinster players despite them topping the league table again. I guess it's down to the amount of rotation game by game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think it's literally down to game time and stats accumulated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ross byrne benefits from converting all those tries!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

moreso from playing in 15 out of 19 URC games so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not sure how Rhyno Smith missed out. Scored the second highest points, second highest tries, fourth for clean breaks. Had a great season but pipped by Warrick Gelant.

Anyway, its a weird dream team format given the nature of the URC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's telling that there's no Scots or Welch named. Seriously damning view on their clubs. They will be in trouble for some time, they have vastly weaker schedules and still they have no standout players.

The whole structure is wrong, imo. The fairest way to run this league is for some type of draw. 4 pools of 4 who play each other 2 times and then play every other side once. It would mean that sides like Glasgow would have to earn their place in the qf's.

It's voted for by journalists so either;

a) SA has more media outlets than the Celtic Nations and this swayed the vote or

b) it's a novelty for the SA media so they were more enthusiastic about voting than their jaded European cousins.

The Dream Team always has a few eyebrow-raisers but that team is an absolute joke

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The other option is that the voting wasn't really an open vote, and journalists were presented with a curated list of choices in each position determined using some arbitrary rules, e.g. minimum minutes played or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Rassie Erasmus pick that 15?

Jesus wept, 11 saffers?

Then craig casey and ross aren't even number 1 in their position.

Ridiculous list

Yeah there was a list of ten players per position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Nick Timoney isn't a blindside...

• Advertisement

Players had to have made a minimum of nine appearances to be considered, with the media panel given a shortlist of 10 players per position, provided by URC StatMaster. The player with the most votes in each position earned a place in the team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seán Beag is Irish, come on now. Only 10 Saffers.

The 9 appearances thing is going to exclude the majority of the Leinster squad I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Play more games you’ll have better aggregate stats. The compilation is after all based on the League so if you play more of your top players and respect the League you will be rewarded.

Now Leinster can get away with rotation up to this point, will it work going forward it might not. For example, look at the Leagues top try scorer Leolin Zas, if those records start to mean anything we might start to see Lowe played more regularly? Unlikely yet!

As to who controlled selection- can we not guess the Scots and Welsh journalists find the South Africans possibly better athletes and voted against the Irish because of the misery they get from us every season?

Post edited by Itxa on

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

• Advertisement

In a Saffer-heavy selection with openside Marcell Coetzee at 6.

It's all dreck! I'm delighted fir the south African players. They've enhanced the league already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Is it not all farce when team is "picked" before semi (and even quarters ?) ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's a farce anyway. That ten players can nominally be shortlisted based on stats alone seems overly engineered.

If Leinster annihilate the Bulls and then either Ulster/Stormers and still somehow have only one player in a 'dream team', it will just show up how its a stats based dream team rather than a "best" team. Same for Ulster who could win and end up with 2/15 players.

It's a nice shiny thing to have, but it doesn't really say much.

I thought Coetzee mostly played 6 or 8

(That's 'normal' 6, blindside flanker.)

That says 96% blindside/no. 8

Bot sure if it refers to his entire career or what those 125 matches are

Well, I think it's pretty obvious all games played at 6 for SA teams go down as 'blindside' on the site. Check Chris Cloete, for example https://all.rugby/player/chris-cloete. It says 28% of his games have come at blindside. That must be his stint playing 6 for the Southern Kings.

You're not making an artful lot of sense here, Rich.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your original point was that the fantasy team was imbalanced as the presence of Coetzee (a pure openside) implied Timoney was selected at blindside, despite the fact the two lined up regularly at Ulster together, at 6 and 7 respectively.

Then you linked to a site showing Coetzee was a 4% openside and then said it was obvious the site was wrong.

Well, Coetzee can play all across the backrow, so it's not necessarily imbalanced.

But he's been playing 6 all season for the Bulls. That's openside in South Africa. Since the dream team is full of South Africans, I'm assuming it was heavily influenced by South African journos, who would see 6 as openside (and hence 7 as blindside).

That allrugby site must not be a South African site. It obviously counts games played wearing the 6 jumper for South African sides as being played at blindside. If you look by season, nearly all his games for the Sharks and for the Bulls have been with jersey number 6. That's openside, so the 4% openside stat can't be accurate.

• Advertisement

Maybe you are on mobile site that doesn't show up how I see it? It lists all his games and jersey no. by season.

The only part of the site I'm saying is wrong is the line where it says % played at blindside, openside and no. 8. I'd imagine it automatically counts 6 as blindside.

Some South African sides, including the Springboks, play with essentially two blindsides. Kolisi and PSDT are the archetype.

Not sure how the Bulls set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/united-rugby-championship-make-sense-24166037

Not a huge amount of positives for Welsh rugby after year one of the URC. Understandably there's a few clues in here that they won't be giving up the fantasy of a B&I League any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I can't understand why the Welsh sides are so poor. Like, the Ospreys and the Scarlets both have very good squads. Certainly no worse than what the two Scottish teams have. On paper, they should be way more competitive than they are. It's only 4 years ago since the Scarlets were in a final, 5 since they won it. It's amazing how they've fallen off a cliff since then.

If they could get their act together it would be great for the league. The 4 SA teams have added hugely to the overall competitiveness. Far fewer forgone conclusion games that aren't even worth watching. Leinster are out in front right now, but behind them theres about 6 teams who could all beat each other on any given day, which wasn't the case before. I wasn't sold on the URC back in August, but to be fair, since the SA teams got their Boks back and were able to host teams down there, it's made the league a far more interesting product. If the Ospreys and the Scarlets could join that crew it would only improve it further.

Bar Leinster v Glasgow, the playoffs have been great so far. Stormers v Ulster in Cape Town I think will be an absolute cracker. And whatever two teams are in the final will be a super game.

Wales are flummoxed by their inability to fix any of their myriad of problems. Every union has problems! But the WRU, for unknown reasons are dropping the ball. Forget the urc and look at the gash that they have at underage level? They are awful! They are not competitive, have little skill and are hopelessly coached!

The regions, for unknown reasons are flailing away in mediocrity! Scarlets and Ospreys have decent squads but are hopelessly poor. It's bizarre! The WRU is an example of how not to run a union. For all the faults of the IRFU, they are vastly superior.

My sense is that the WRU are largely comprised of old boys from the club era. Probably nice people, good club men, but completely incompetent with respect to the demands of a modern union, identifying the need for and overseeing a complex system of collaborative youth development across the country and the associated channels up to the regional and national squads. Also, these lads may not be best suited for running what's essentially a multi-hundred-million-pound business, and the temptations that accompany that.

How easily the IRFU could have been the same (look at the FAI for example, we are not nationally immune from incompetence and corruption). And I wouldn't even call this a class thing either. I reckon in Ireland we were just lucky that a few key people were in the right place at the right time, much like how any company succeeds when so many others fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The provinces are over a thousand years old. The regions are 20 years old. The point being that pretty much everybody in Ireland identifies with their province and for many other things than just rugby. In Wales people just don't care about the artificially created regions.

That's a big problem. I don't know the answer.

Perhaps if the WRU had their time again, they'd have taken the top 4 or 5 clubs back in the early noughties and made them pro instead of going down the region route. But then you'd just alienate the fans of the clubs that didn't make the cut.

For now the URC is a great tournament. The Saffers have really bought into it.

The top 6 URC sides are ahead of the top of the Premiership now IMO.

I think there's a genuine chance of an all-URC final in the ERC before we'll again see an all-Premiership final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its easy to say "pretty much everybody in Ireland identifies with their province" now, as a rugby fan, after 25 years of provincial rugby. But prior to that it very much was not a cultural thing.

People from Cork were from Cork. Not Munster. People from Wexford were from Wexford, not Leinster. Identification was on county lines (thanks in part to the GAA), not at all on provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

But provincial rugby existed and was followed by many. Unlike the regions, where the clubs were everything in Wales.

Clubs played far more regular games, and got much higher yearly attendances than provincial rugby. As did schools.

Provinces unquestionably weren't something that "pretty much everyone in Ireland identifie[d] with" before the 1990s. Back then nobody would say "I'm a Leinster fan" if asked what rugby team they identified with (if they even identified with a rugby team...), it would have been "I'm a Lansdowne fan".

Yes, it was more an indirect association via a club, but there was still an association. Irish people were well used to players from multiple rival clubs coming together to play for a representative team associated with a geographical area, getting on board with professional club versions of these representative sides didn't take much of a leap.

In Wales everything was invented out of thin air. There was no history to lean on.

While the clubs and especially the AIL in the 90s were much bigger than the provinces, Munster for example still had a huge history from drawing with and then beating the All Blacks in the 70s and beating the World Champions Australia in 92 (They also beat them in the 60s). Ulster have twice drawn with the All Blacks and they beat Australia in the 80s. That along with the fact that there was an interpro series every year that was a level above club rugby, built an aura around the provinces that was easy to lock on to when the game went pro and the IRFU decided to go provincial.

In Wales the likes of Llanelli and Cardiff played the touring sides with Llanelli famously beating the All Blacks in 1972. There was no history to the new regions for fans to lock onto. And fans of most clubs didn't fancy supporting what they saw as Llanelli, Cardiff, Swansea and Newport rebranded under different names.

Yes, there was an indirect association, but again, thats a very far cry from ""pretty much everybody in Ireland" identifying with their province, as was claimed in the post I was responding to. That just very definitely wasn't the case in Ireland any time before the 2000s (and arguably today), or even in just the rugby community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

IIRC the picture re interprovincial rugby before professional rugby was a mixed one re attendances in Ireland. I saw Ulster beat Leinster in front of c15,000 in the early 1970's and Ulster vs Munster got a decent crowd but Ulster vs Connacht seemed to attract far less. Unsure what it was like in other provinces pre professional rugby. The really big attendances outside international matches in the pre professional era were the provincial teams playing major touring sides. Ulster vs NZ in 1972 attracted over 20,000. The onset of floodlit rugby at Ravenhill saw pretty good crowds for midweek and some Friday matches in the 1980s and early 1990s.

IMHO the fact there was an interprovincial structure dating back into the 19th century and an interprovincial championship from just after the 2nd WW gave Ireland a big advantage over Wales in adapting to professionalism. Also I think soccer has become far more popular in Wales in recent years and e.g. Osprey's home ground is rarely full for a rugby game but often full for a soccer match.

I've said it before but identity in Wales maps a LOT more tightly onto language than onto geography. You could have two teams, both based in Cardiff, one as the "English Welsh" and one as the "Welsh Welsh", and they'd likely get sell-out crowds drawn from around the country.

Jeepers I've obviously touched a raw nerve...you've quoted that line in about 4 posts at this stage!

It's before my time, but I believe pre the 00s and Munster's golden era that Leinster v Ulster was the big fixture in Irish rugby.

I remember watching Ulster play NZ in about 1989 in front of a packed put and raucous Ravenhill. Not sure what the capacity was, but whatever it was it was exceeded.

I also remember watching Ulster play Munster in the early 90s and there was a decent enough crowd there.

I'd say people definitely had an affinity with their province. Certainly growing up in the 80s and early 90s I always dreamt of playing for Ulster so it was definitely a thing in my head back then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement