Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,275 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

An OK episode but Quite predictable in places and no where near as good as episode 3 which was definitely the best episode so far.

Ah I was wondering how she got the tracker where she said she did as she was no where near it. A lot on hear nearly got there wish about third sister. Yes maybe she is not a great actor but she will get better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

@AMKC

I assumed she planted it on the Flying 'LOLA' droid. But how did Leia remember to pick it up, when they where escaping?

That is why they focused in on the 'Droid' in the last scene of the episode?

As part of Star Wars Celebration 2022, Hasbro has revealed that the L0-LA59 (LOLA) droid that appears as young princes Leia's companion in Obi-Wan Kenobi will be available to pre-order on June 1st at 10am PST / 1pm EST in three different versions

Episode breakdown [SPOILERS] will probably post in this link soon: -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Awful shite this is so far. Someone mentioned it earlier and I agree, I have no idea why this is called Obi-Wan? It seems to be about everyone else but him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,275 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes that is what I assumed to from the ending of it. No idea. Maybe she used the force lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dull episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Am I supposed to believe that these two saw nothing? 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,755 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah the episode involved several exaggerated/poorly set up shots like this. Lady takes out an officer in the background while nobody else in the room seems to notice all the kinematics happening behind them. And the officer next to her seems nonplussed by her strange behavior. A lot of TV-sneaking trope issues here.

And the (not-snow) Speeders, CGI looked kinda meh for them, and they just come barreling into the station and are last seen about to slam into a wall - it just would be nice to know what the speeders did, did they hit the brakes, bank to the sides, they aren't seen again until moments later when Kenobi and the gang board.

The lightbar sabers strike again this episode. I feel if George was directing for example, the blaster bolt deflections would be more convincing, for one - the sticks they used then, were not nearly so hefty as these lightbars are, and it shows, there's limits to how fast you can change its direction. For another, Ben would have retracted his saber to hold back the water and used both hands. I could see whipping it back out to deflect a shot or two once they cracked the door but he just looked awful unnatural there with one hand on the force power and another on the lightsaber doing feck all. And Reva's force choke at the end, it looked like she and the wires people had some miscommunication.

Sad that these issues will be ones I'll notice on repeats too but, overall, I did enjoy the episode, Leia was good, Reva was good as the archetypal SW interrogator, and Vader was Most Impressive. I love how he just came barreling into the room livid. I loved the moment she corrects Fifth Brother by repeating what Vader said to her last episode, and this just draws him closer to her, he's thinking "YES, THIS ONE GETS IT" and that's who he's putting in charge of these muppets. Fifths also kinda being a drama queen though, suggesting the Fortress Inquisitorius was about to be 'destroyed' by 2 air speeders, a spy and a jedi who are just rescuing the girl you baited them with.

Lest it be forgotten though: was that Plo Kloon @18:55? What a twisted place. It does look like a mausoleum, though, or more aptly an underwater catacomb, and not a lab that would relate to Sidious' future ambitions for force-sensitive cloning.

@ 27:00 - 2 of the stormtroopers rear armor looks inked/detailed and lovely, vs. most every other stormtrooper with the plain white, vacuformed onepiece. Perhaps they are CGI extras.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC, M Night Shyamalan does this all the time, having no spacial awareness for things outside the frame. It's really sloppy and a sign of a bad director or cinematographer.

Or deliberate choice to cheaply exploit tension. Either way usually a bad choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

grown woman threatening ten year old seems silly...

and then there the walk through the hanger with Leia under her coat lol

Post edited by pjcb on

• Advertisement

Hard to keep a straight face with such a nice victim right lol

TBF she did follow through on hooking her up to, what I assume is a Mind Flayer.

Silly was Leia's force of will being stronger than Reva's. Maybe the force gave her a handicap with that

• Something about this show just seems off, but I can't put my finger on it.

It just doesn't feel like Star Wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4: I'm confused but I'm guessing..

that tracker was an earlier plan and she hadn't meant to let them go

just that was her last chance to save herself

Feels like she's on borrowed time at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yea, it's not great..

I'll still watch it. But it's not great, lots of obvious flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Oh dear, I nearly called it....instead we get Leia strapped to a chair with lasers (I dunno) moving towards her head.

Again, the "danger" is pointless, we know nothing happens Leia or Obi-Wan so why so many pointless scenarios. I think I'm just watching this to see how bad it gets, and it's not disappointing (Is disappointing?). I said at the start its a very middling show, but its dropping below the mid now as we pass the mid way.

Also, I just realised it looks like they raided the stock room from Batteries Not Included to make their droids...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yeah I agree with the other posts that say it feels more like  the childhood adventures of Leia than an Obi Wan series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,681 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They would have deserved to be caught with that terrible raincoat disguise. 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I will put just the one line of positivity in this thread. I've been very impressed with Vivien Lyra Blair (young Leia), regardless of what she has to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm finding this quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Christ that hanger scene was cringe. The disguise. This is just…. Bad sometimes.

Also are we meant to care about the dead A wing pilot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

So Leia knows Ben's real name is Obi Wan Kenobi and yet she refers to him as General Kenobi, the man who helped her father during the Clone Wars, not the man who saved her numerous times 9 years previously...

I also wonder how Leia will be able to become a Senator in the Imperial Senate having been associated with Kenobi, the Path, and her Father's connection to Kenobi. Surely she and her family would be watched by the Inquisitors, and the Empire thereafter, thwarting their every effort to influence or be a part of the Imperial Senate.

There is so much stupid shíte happening in this show that I can't decide if it's pure carelessness from Lucasfilm or complete incompetence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The disguise in the hanger was a joke… I thought it was funny/ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dreadful

But unfortunately, it's mandatory to finish.

Didn't check, but I'd say that clocked in at 30mins plus or minus a min or two for recap. Felt really short, and not in the good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I wouldn't call this bad, I certainly wouldn't call it great. I'd go with Meets Expectations.

It's what I kinda expected it to be, middling and okay. Part of me was hoping this would be great, but I knew it wouldn't be and I'm cynical as hell after so many disappointing shows.

I wish there was more Vader, but I get that they're keeping him limited to maintain the threat of him. But some of the goofs in this are just bad, like not show ruining stuff but just shows a level of laziness you don't expect in a high budget show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

My personal favourite was when Tala was, to all intents and purposes, having open conversations with Kenobi while in the Imperial control room.

I mean they even had a guy turn in her direction FFS.

No point even mentioning her "covertly" taking out the officer in a room full of them, because if you buy the first bit, that should be no issue.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the completed episodes are reviewed by the stakeholders.

Post edited by McDermotX on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah I was thinking that I must have missed something earlier or in a previous episode to make me a give s **** but nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Episode 4 was weak. Mostly because it didn't DO or achieve anything for the plot... it just had Obiwan re-rescue Leia. The only addition is that there's a tracker on them now. I did quite like the sneaking around the base scenes. I was internally screaming "do the sound thing. do the sound thing.... he did the sound thing" when the two troopers were getting close to him :) Again, I really liked how they get across how rough Obiwan is with his skills. His saber deflections were shoddy, he's slow to improvise. It really is the best thing about this show, just how far Obiwan has fallen from Jedi Master. Leia being his saviour is sweet. The whole hanger scene was a bit of nonsense, between the disguse, and the incredible timing of the rescue. It just feels like another instance of "oh darn they got away", "we have ships, we could easily catch them", "no... no, they got away". It's a bit lazy. Even the tracker plan doesn't add up in that moment as no-one else knows about it so they should all be "catch that ship!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Gotta get the spin-offs ready! Tala-fornia? Third Sister, Sister?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I thought 4 was a more enjoyable episode.

Someone said it seems lazy, I'd have to agree. Its just shoddy in places as people above have highlighted. Still I enjoyed it.

Advertisement