Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I don't think it's dramatic. Not winning tonight pretty much means we are out of another group / campaign after a couple of games. I think it's dramatic to call it anything but a disaster and failure.

One thing you need to do in internationals is match the strong teams for 6 pointers again the likes of Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Armenia etc and then beat the middle of the road teams at home at least. That's always been key. It hasn't changed just because our defensive unit can pass ball across the pitch or backwards.

Introducing a new philosophy and system needs to be done in a balanced manner. Kenny still has to ensure he is getting results which leave us with a decent chance of success. Let's not forget that the Nations League are a backdoor into the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Fraser Forster signed for Spurs this morning on a free so are left with only Alex McCarthy as Willy Caballero is likely off too. Could be a loan as Man City don't want to lose him according to Crook.

The main issue is with the manager at the moment. Hendrick included are players of an average quality but are easily capable of beating your Luxembourg's, Armenia's, Azerbaijan's and Qatar's of the world. I'll give Kenny the benefit of the doubt in one of those games. Every manager has one of them. But they are starting to become a trend now along with not scoring goals.

How long does Kenny have to get? Is it going to be a case if we are still failing against these teams that his supporters will point to the players not being good enough? The same supporters who defended a largely similar group of players in terms of ability that MON toward the end had and Mick had.

It seems to me that the people who want Kenny to remain regardless of utter failure want to have it their own way. Question the manager when he's not an LOI man and then blame the players for not being good enough when they have the LOI man in.

Would be a great move if he was to genuinely be considered an option for first choice there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I think the tide is turning in the media too. Even his most fervent supporters previously are now talking about it being a results game.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Any word on how Ryan Johansson is progressing at Seville? I know he was on loan in Holland but haven't heard anything about him lately

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They're the best team in the group, but they'll be there to play and move the ball about, and they leave space. We actually do alright against that.

It's the teams that sit back and make themselves compact and hard to get at and then start taking risks when we tire/grow frustrated that we have a problem with.

We need to have a plan for that and soon.

Also need to remember, were really a division c/3 team but got saved by some change in the the rules.

Yeah hadn't realised he only played like 45mins since the last internationals until someone said it last night. Just makes the decision of going with a two man midfleld with the weather conditions over there and one of them lacking match fitness even more baffling.

Fact he played a full 90 I probably wouldn't start him tonight and would go with Browne in midfield next to Cullen. Hopefully Smallbone can get a loan to get regular game time. Looked decent playing that deeper role in midfield for the U21s and would look the best option of our younger players to play the role Hendrick plays.

Made two great passes putting Ogbene in behind the defence first and Robinson couldn't properly connect with the pass back and the defender awkwardly cleared it off the line. Second one Robinson awkwardly turns when it's played between the defenders otherwise could have gotten to it and had a shot himself. Other than Smallbone I don't see the likes of Molumby or even Knight making those passes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

In fairness, changing the group structure was the right thing to do. Groups of four make much more sense than groups of three. Just because UEFA fixed their original mistake doesn't make us a League C side. (But if we get relegated out of this group, we've no complaints...)

• Advertisement

Alan Nixon links Tayo Adaramola with a possible move to Coventry. They'll need to replace their current LWB whose on loan from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The Sporting Life wrote up a 75 page dossier on Notts Forest.

Based on that they picked 5 players they should be after. One of them was Josh Cullen - "dream of a midfielder". They say that he's in his last year of contract at Anderlecht. They reckon he'll be courted by lots of Premier League sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Fully agree that we have to start getting results, just annoys me when people dis him, calling him clueless which he obviously isn't.

The guy seems like a gent. A really nice fella. But his tactis and style of play for what we have available to us has been clueless. Our setup and performances against poorer sides have been clueless.

It's not personal when criticising the man. It's football related. I hope he succeeds but I think that ship might have already sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They don't need Cullen, they still have Harry Arter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

About when does he release the official line up

• Advertisement

Only the two changes. Christie for Coleman and Knight for Parrott.

Obafemi starting as well, he didn’t start on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭maximus15

Ogbene is starting, that's a typo from Cooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Good to see Knight playing and no Coleman is a positive as well. Ukraine resting Zinchencko is a big plus as well a big performance is badly needed after Saturdays horror show another disappointing performance and result and there's definitely pressure on Kenny.

Callum O Dowda has secured a move to Cardiff.

Has done very well to get himself a three year deal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Expecting a defeat here that team is terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Will be interesting to see how this goes against a second string Ukrainian team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Four of the Ukrainian back five have 1 cap a piece, the keeper has 6 caps, one of the midfielders has 2 caps and their striker has 7 caps. This is a very weakened and inexperienced Ukrainian team, no excuses for not getting a result here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Their keeper is at Real Madrid. So both bench warmers from the CL final are playing. I wouldn't underestimate that team, but it certainly can't hurt that they're coming down to our level

Jaysus. Listening to Kennys interview on rte. Shockingly incoherent.

I think he is trying to say that the Armenia performance / result was a once off? Couldnt really make it out though.

Something as equally as bad -we dont have the players -do you think its a good team ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Xander10

"interview on interview. Shockingly incoherent".

Can't understand what you are referring to.

Sorry eh i couldnt eh didnt think eh i thought i eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Hold on for one second, dont rewrite the history of MON or Mick. Many people here and in the media and at the games were slating the style of play and ultimately thats why they werw not kept on. Neither tried to win games, they tried not to lose them in my opinion. Both had better quality of squads also than the current crop. Ireland have struggled to beat weaker teams for 15 years, all be it Kennys record is a lot worse than the others.

Now I do think what Kenny is trying to do gives the team the best chance of winning long term. Kenny himself may not be the man to lead them to success but Im still happy for him to get the Euros campaign and see the young players come through. But for Ireland to be successful we need more players playing at a higher level and actually getting game time.

We're there any reports about how the in house match against the u21s went? Can't imagine there was much in it.

Something equally as bad? That’s not very inspiring.

Substitutions will be important. I’d say Parrott, McClean and maybe Ebosele will be on depending on how Christie does.

Obafemi could be an option seeing as he had a good season with Swansea but he was horrendous when he came on against Armenia. He didn’t try a leg and looked totally disinterested.

Ok so what tactics would you change? What players would you bring in that would make the team better? Its very easy shout and moan but harder to come up woth solutions.

That Ukraine team looks very weak.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we get a penalty so I can say "let Christie take it!"

Its a second string Ukranian. We really need to win this one. Couldnt really have hoped for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

Ukraine looking very shaky, backline looks p!ss poor

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I've said it so many times, Knight needs to be starting.

Very bright start from him so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Big opportunity for Ireland tonight, Ukraine are missing a load of their regulars and made 10 changes since Sunday. Plus the tiredness, both physically and mentally of losing the World Cup play-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

He tends not to read situations well though. Sometimes play passes him by

• Advertisement

So again, you have slated Kenny, said his tactics are wrong, team selection has been wrong and then changes you woukd make are tell them they should be beating Armenia? Got ya that will have them winning the world cup in no time....

We've started really well. Hopefully can create something decent. Ukraine are poor so far.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But anytime I've watched him play he's always managed to find himself in those little pockets of space which help to create something. That's the link between the midfield and the attack that Kenny is missing big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Wish I could fade out Stephen Kelly's voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Xander10

we've got to make the pressing count. can do without another sucker punch and then trying to come from behind.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement