Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

A lot of those times are very iffy. The Model 3 and M50 would be a lot closer than half a second difference. And actually none of it matters an iota. Both realistically are faster to 100km/h than any of us have a any kind of reason to be doing. Anything sub 4 seconds is bloody quick and should not be a determining factor of a purchase.

And besides I want to know how fast i can throw a car into and out of a bend with confidence. Not if it goes a few tenths of a second quicker in a straight line. I've driven a Model 3 and S and not had much faith at all in them. Much more confident in the M50 despite its weight. Would love to try out a Taycan or Etron GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

As Richard Symons says in that recent video, BMW tend to understate their 0-100 times and Tesla overstate it so on the road they're pretty well matched. He also says at motorways speeds (i.e. above 100) the i4 is quicker. But like you said, at these numbers none of it really matters. If you ask me the fact that the i4 is so close to the Tesla is impressive given the extra half tonne it has on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

when I tested my M3P the 0-60 was consistently 3.5-3.8 with the odd 3.3 in there in perfect conditions...this on a draggy. The Taycan 4s hammers out 3.6 every time but it far more brutal from 30-60 than from 0-30 while the tesla is the other way round running out of puff after 100 kph and the acceleration noticeably slows down. Tesla fluff up their numbers, Porsche always play them down same on the range. The tesla is very "overclocked" everything is running at 101% I get the impression the Porsche is running well below its capabilities.Assume the BMW is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't trust the Tesla official acceleration figures as they are done with a rolling start. It makes the cars looks faster on paper than they actually are. I don't know why the hell they do this, it makes direct comparisons difficult. From owning many of them, I always reckoned both BMW and Porsche usually understate the real figures. If you want to compare them, do a test yourself like Fitz II or have a look at zeroto60times.com

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

yes the Audi has a great presence on the road aswell (saw a lovely one in Ascari blue around Cahir direction on Sunday), not quite Taycan impressive though. For some reason I always thought the eTron performance figures were 4S without the performance battery…

• Advertisement

Its all a bit academic....a blink take about a 1/3 of a second so the difference between 4.1 and 3.8 is literally a blink of a eye....I always though any car under 5 seconds to 100kph was more than fast enough and the way the power is delivered, traction and handling becomes more important. Lads on fast motorbikes hold up EV off the lights these days....and in a way now that straight line performance has been democratized it matters less than ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pretty much, whoever gets the best laugh wins. The 0-60 time means nothing in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

“Don't trust the Tesla official acceleration figures as they are done with a rolling start. It makes the cars looks faster on paper than they actually are. I don't know why the hell they do this, it makes direct comparisons difficult.”

they do it because Elon Musk is a well-proven compulsive lying charlatan 😂.

tell the followers anything they want to hear, off the cuff - and then challenge your engineers to deliver something kinda like what you said, years and years later - and don’t forget to give it a cool name 😏. Sorted ✅

Calling the world's richest man who personally made the transition to renewable transport happen 10 years quicker and who gave the whole automotive industry a huge kick up its hole, a charlatan? LOL, not the word I would have chosen. Let me guess, you lost a lot of money on shorting TSLA and you are still bitter? ;-)

Some of their practices stink of course like that rolling start and like the "estimated fuel savings" deducted when you look at the purchase price and should be called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

He’s a genius, no doubt, but he’s a compulsive liar - it’s just part of his makeup.

imagine the promises made to the world over the years - all long since disproven or delayed to the point of no-one even talking about them any more

cyber truck, humanoid robot, semi truck, roadster, actual FSD, $35k M3 in 2017 (no longer possible, in fairness), NY-Washington hyperlink, brain implants by 2019 (nuralink - this is an amazing company, for sure), 1m robotaxi’s by 2020

That’s just the crap I can think of off the top of my head.

don’t feel you need to defend him so vehemently, I really like Tesla, and would buy one, but couldn’t care less about Musk

his SpaceX stuff he can’t fluff, due to the nature of the deliverables, and look at how amazing that company is.

I just imagine a world where Musk’s outrageous claims aren’t swallowed by everyone in that moment.

Edit: apologies everyone for dragging this into another Musk debate.

the reality is that Tesla obfuscate their 0-60 times by doing a 1-foot rollout, and only timing to 60mph, not 100kmph. In the real world the M3P is indistinguishable from the m50

• Advertisement

He delivers on all his promises. But almost always way too late. Wouldn't call that a trait of a compulsive liar. More a compulsive optimist 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Apparently Tesla only use the 1 foot roll out on their performance versions. They do have different times for 60mph and 100kmh.

Didn't know that. That's just hypocritical, making their fast cars look faster than they are 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

And the dual motor awd cars nearly as fast as the performance versions..😉

They do 0-60 mph in countries that use miles. UK, USA etc

They do 0-100kmh in countries that use km.

Acceleration Boost makes the LR How it should be from the factory.

A one foot rollout is about 0.2-0.3 seconds thats a lot in the drag stats...rollouts are generally seen as cheating figures but are necessary on drag strips only for the correct timing. Its a big cheat to state the figures like that not an "only" 1 foot rollout...the entire inertia of the car has to be overcome to move 1 foot.

And it's pretty hard to get the rated time for any RWD performance car as you need perfect circumstances for launch. AWD cars get much closer most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

can the thread go back to talking about i4?

has the poster with the battery issue sorted?

I’ve quite enjoyed the Taycan/Tesla/i4 mish mash this thread has become :)

• Advertisement

+1

Enjoying how some serious contributors (most of them actual / potential buyers of these sort of cars) can discuss various pros and cons on here. If you're strictly a BMW only fanboi wanting to only talk about BMWs, or have very specific BMW only questions, there is the BMW forums...

Learned today my M50 expected delivery date is pushed back another 6 weeks again now, to mid August 🤬

No cars to test drive, few cars delivered, huge waiting times....not much to discuss or it will turn into a "rate my configuration" thread. Want to know about the chaps I4 issues too but he cannot update us all the time. At least people post in this thread semi-regular keeps it alive, a rare place on boards a motors enthusiast EV thread instead of the usual range obsessed, boot space nerd fest EV threads usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Have you got a VIN yet? What status code are you at? I've been enquiring on the bmw.co.uk chat and giving them my order number and they are able to check for me. I was supposed to be May 23rd build date, it's now beginning of next week, let's see what happens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Nearly missed this post with all the Musk talk.

You can probably guess the answer.

I've again been told this Friday but I've no faith in the dealer and will only believe it if/when I see it.

No Vin yet, yeah I’ve been using the UK customer support too and it was due to begin production this week, but that changed this week to the last week of July, so about 7 weeks further delay for now. Car was originally due March, then May, then July, now mid August … 🙄

I’m considering getting ppf on my i4 - does anyone here have ppf? Recommended or not? Non i4 owners welcome to answer aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Considered getting something on the grill (given my initial experience) and maybe lights ( given my unfortunate experience) but I wonder would it impact the lights or sensors?

Might be a stupid question...

Interesting comparison - Richard Symons drives the Tesla Model 3 P and the Porsche Taycan 4S on a track.

TL;DR Porsche drives much better, more stable, a little bit quicker, but is twice the price of the Tesla, which can easily and cheaply by made a bit better (uprated brakes mainly). Pity they didn't compare it to the BMW i4 M50 (which would likely sit in the middle of these two in pretty much every way)

• Advertisement

This is a interesting one on cars like this and one I have mulled over a lot. I am big into detailing and cleaning cars so take that as read.

A PPF job will cost 2-4k so about 3% of the car value lets say. The idea is that it protects the paint from stone chips and damage from washing etc.

I have seen a lot of cars with PPF and unless the PPF is tucked under the panels there is always a join line at the panel gaps. Over time this junction gets dirty and yellow and will not wash off. Looks nasty. Also if you get a chip, you either have to look at the ship in the PPF (which is not different from looking at a chip in the paint) or redo the PPF which costs about as much as painting the panel. So in the first owners eyes no different from not having the PPF. Its not a force field and a big rock will chip through to the paint. Also PPF has a different finish from paint, not really wet looking.

Come sale time you can remove the PPF and reveal the pristine paint for the next owner. However you can pull the clearcoat removing the PPF. I saw this very recently on a Audi where the thin paint at the edges was all chipped from removing the PPF.

So in the end you are spending a lot of money and giving the car up for a week to protect the car for somebody else. Painting a panel is about 300 -600 euro and with computer matching its not hard get a good match. A lot of painting can be done for the costs of the PPF. Its similar to riding your wife with a jonny on to keep her fresh for the next fellow.

On cars like this I dont see the point. Sure on a car that has special paint like a ferrari or other exotic, or a classic car with single stage paint I get it. But mostly I think its a scam designed to get enthusiastic people with new cars to spend money for minimal gain. It can look fairly nasty, it can damage the car, it offers minimal protection, and the solution of repainting a panel its avoiding is actually easy and cheap to dol

Just my 2c on it, once said this to a chap who turned out to be the owner of a PPF business with hilarious consequences and much egg on my face but thats how I think of it. Drive the car....get the chips, let the next owner worry about them, its not a new car they are buying.

Missed the bit where the taycan looks 1000 times better which at the end of the day is what you are paying for, the taycan has much better thermal control, and the performance doesnt fall off a cliff at lower states of charge (which the model 3 does in spades). Another review with a rosey tint on the model 3.

Advertisement