Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is a new Saints Row being released soon. Since it's not out yet I have no idea if it's any good. They also have previous games which were decent. More old games would be Elder scrolls IV Oblivion and Skyrim. Then you have Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4. The Witcher 3. All those games are time sinks and good. You get immersed in each game world like you would in GTA or RRD2. Also did you play the first Red Dead Redemption game as that was good too. I could keep going on as there are loads of games to get immersed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Everything, graphics, what you could do, physics. I wouldn't be big into sci fi like games with dragons and robots or that kinda thing. I started the Witcher 3 but never really understood what I was trying to do

Yeah RPGs aren't for everyone. It seems like you prefer story driven open world games where you don't have to manage lots of stats and character build type mechanics? If you didn't like The Witcher I'd avoid the recommendation of Fallout and Oblivion/Skyrim above.

I haven't played many of them, but it might be worth checking out the Assassin's Creed series. As they have that open world play without big RPG mechanics. Horizon Zero Dawn would be similar, but has that sci Fi feel so you might not like it.

The Last of Us is a good shout, but it's more linear so don't expect open world gameplay. I'm currently playing A Plague Tale: Innocence which is similar to The Last of Us, but set during the Black Death in Europe. It's also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed series starting with Origin, Far Cry series starting with 2 and Fallout 3 and 4 and Skyrim are basically same genre which are designed for mass appeal and they are easy enough with enough hand holding. Some will click, some won't, but I liked them all.

The thing is, if you didn't like Witcher 3 then probably you wouldn't like any of the above either, so what about, *struggles to keep a straight face* Elden Ring? Which is definitely one of the best games ever made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not a fan of it but also not a fan of RDR2 but Days Gone might be worth trying if you don't have an aversion to zombies in games.

• Advertisement

Elden Ring would be the last game I'd recommend, based on what Pussyhands said. I think he just wants a casual, story driven adventure not an opaque torture grind.

This always happens with these types of requests. People come on here with very specific needs and people just list games that they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I will never recommend games I didn't like. I made it clear that I was maybe half joking recommending Elden Ring, but it's still a masterpiece and I'm saying this as someone who never liked the DS series, and it's definitely not a "opaque torture grind". So maybe they like it or maybe not it's still a game that I will wholeheartedly recommend. You will never know unless you try it.

I also liked Days Gone, it's a shame that they dropped the sequel.

Fair enough, but it's €70 recommendation for a self described casual gamer who likes FIFA and RDR. Who thought The Witcher was too involved.

Elden Ring is way out of the ball park.

I recommended The Last of Us even though I'm not a big fan, but I know casual gamers love it. So it suited PH.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maybe Sleeping Dogs? It's a bit of an older game at this stage but has a lot of variety, fun gameplay and decent story/characters from what I remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do think Elden Ring has been a true cultural phenomenon, and made a massive impact since it launched in the way a Rockstar game does (if not quite at that scale - but there’s nothing on the Rockstar scale). I’ve personally been amazed at several people I know, who I would never have pegged as people who’d play Elden Ring, being absolutely hooked on it.

That said, any recommendation would come with the major caveat that it is a big, fiendishly difficult fantasy RPG (absolutely bloody full of dragons, it must be said 😂) full of obtuse storytelling and systems. But if you’re talking about games on the scale of RDR2 and TLOU in terms of cultural impact… well, few make as compelling a case as Elden Ring, even if it’s a wildly different sort of game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

+1 on Sleeping Dogs, played through it very recently(it was about €4 on the PS Store)

Its showing its age alright but the combat is still fun and while I found the story predictable enough it was enjoyable for what it was.

PH also mentioned liking GTA, would Saints Row be a good shout? I haven't played it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The new games have gotten reeeeeeeeaaaaaal dumb. Like Borderlands levels of awful internet meme referencing humour. They are more like superhero games.

Speaking of which, Spiderman is probably a good shout being the rare example of an open world game I didn't totally hate. It's fun to mess around in even if the missions are a bit cookie cutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I tried a Spiderman game. I couldn't get into the 'swing' of it.

I hate myself for laughing at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

You should have looked up a guide on the web...

For immersive games with a story driven arc, I'd agree with Days Gone, Spiderman or Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Judgment also might be worth a shout. All have what I'd call RPG-light parts, but nothing as involving as Witcher 3. Also personally speaking gameplay is more fun in all these than RDR2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Some strange recommendations here alright. Elden Ring for a casual Fifa/RDR person... No. No sci-fi or fantasy, removes most of the other games mentioned also.

What about Sniper Elite? You like physics, it's got testicle exploding physics. New one is just out, 5, and is on Gamepass if you has that. I think 2 Remastered and 4 are on PS Now.

For short 'splosioney fun, the recent CoD Modern Warfare game for the story mode. Or any of the recent CoD campaigns if you like WW2 stuff. Just the story modes though. On the same vein, open world Tom Clancy games are supposed to be good. Hitman if you like killing people. Dysmantle if you want cheap but inexplicable fun, but it has zombies, albeit not a struggle, more like just there.

Subnautica is amazing if you like deep sea type stuff. I wouldn't have thought it, but one of the best games of the last few years. It's unrealistic insofar as the planet and sealife is made up, and the tech is advanced but limited. It still an amazing experience.

Ghost of Tsushima is an excellent open world samurai ninja game. Stunning looking too. And benefitted the actual people of Tsushima Island, which is nice. I'd also recommend Far Cry 3, there's a upgraded version out there. Best of the Far Cry games imo. Kingdom Come: Deliverance if you want a hard as balls medieval simulation open world epic.

I'm reluctant to say The Last of Us. I loved it at the time, but I'm not interested in those types of games anymore. It's zombies, but mainly sneaky sneaky stuff. Story heavy. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. Think it's getting a PS5 remake soon, so maybe hold off on it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of superhero games, I'm itching for something like The Boys, crazy powers, rip people apart and wreck the place. What comes close to that out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Never played Prototype but tempted by it in previous sales. Does it still hold up?

"Ghost of Tsushima"

Yeah, this is probably the one actually. Didn't think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You could give Horizon Zero Dawn a go? It's nothing ground breaking but it's a fun game that's easy pick up and play.

He said he doesn't like sci Fi themes. Robot dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah Prototype remaster didn't look great but 2nd Son evil route would be a close shout. Interesting to see if the rumours of a new Infamous or remake are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'd recommend Yakuza Zero if you don't mind subtitles, brawlers, things getting weird and a game that looks a bit like a GTA but isn't a GTA. Seriously, though, it's a really banging experience and puts a lot (I mean, a lot) of effort into keeping the story interesting.

Diablo Immortal is fixed on Samsung devices. Such a major release day cock up not working on the main Android device.

Anyways, good game so far. Early days but I've not hit any pay walls to advance yet.

Have my usual gripe with mobile games that everything is too small. I don't need glasses and my screen is plenty big enough (S10+) I remember the old Sega handheld used to have a magnifying glass you could attach over the screen. Something like that is needed for mobile gaming.

• Advertisement

Old handheld games were built around the dimensions of the screen. It's just bad game design if you can't make things out.

Advertisement