Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maybe the commentators/media will stop saying the following now-

‘Kenny not only wants to do well in the nations league, he wants to win it!’ 🤨

Sounds like a comedy line when you realise the reality of the situation.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Are they going to give an Irish player man of the match again despite losing(though the match isn't over yet)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh ok. So we'll give credit for being good at set pieces. We always are dangerous from them. It makes no sense to leave 3 cbs on the field for the last 15-20 mins of the game when you are losing. Id rather lose 2 nil and see something other than rabbit in the headlights on the sideline from Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Surely the Kenny era is now rivalling the Staunton era?

We were blessed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Mick knew that 3 points in Tbilisi meant 1 point from our last 2 games could have put us through but we created nothing after the 6th minute.

Id much prefer to watch an Ireland team try and fail then not risk anything and ultimately fail anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

maybe that's why he's leaving 3 big lads on the pitch, you know for set pieces...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,159 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I want to win too but I would still rather be there regardless.

I don't use my attendance as a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tandey

Are you ok there? Keep your effing and blinding to yourself.

You know more than Mick McCarthy, Trap, O Neill etc..don't you? Go on tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Duffy is our best forward ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Need to play the rest of the games with a front 2 of Duffy & Obafemi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The real Man Of The Match is Mykola Shaparenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

We should just play duffy up front from the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Handball there. Ukraine player moves his hand towards the ball and keeps it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

I think the Kenny experiment is obviously not working out at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think its fair to say we won't be getting any points in Poland considering it will be closer to Ukraines first team.

So Saturdays match the only chance of some points from 4 games.

I really wanted to see SK do well and thought we'd finally kicked on after the LUX game.

But I'm fine with cutting him loose if the next two games produce similar performances and or points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Kenny under pressure now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

he's been our only source of goals even before Kenny came in tbh....

Could have been another for Ukraine. We were lucky, Collins did well to get a block in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Shaking Kenny's hand and saying thanks but it's not working does not mean reverting to a Mick/MON type. You can try someone else who also wants to play a progressive brand of football. He's had two years and 20 odd games now (I think) and won 5, that's a very fair shake.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I find this hilarious considering you're exactly the type that thinks we should have been reverting back to type where we tried not to lose instead of actually trying to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Updated Stephen Kenny record for competitive matches: 17 games, 2 wins, 6 draws, 9 defeats.

We just got taught a footballing lesson by Ukraine's second string team. After 20+ games in charge, set-pieces remain our best hope for getting a goal. Poor tactics, poor team selection, poor in-game management. We are tragic.

I think we've been robbed here tonight. Everyone is behind Ukraine because of the war but does that extend to officials and VAR officials? Seems to be the case tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Rivalling? Staunton is like a Mourinho/Pep/Ferguson hybrid compared to Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I expect the Scots will beat us on Saturday and what then? More time? Sorry Stephen but it's time to go, we have given him a chance and we've regressed badly since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland have been able to get forward at times, but unlike the Ukrainians, they've shown no incisive skill in the final 3rd. Just get gummed up on the edge of the box, giving Ukraine time to get back and get themselves organised. As usual, Duffy has been Ireland's most dangerous player - a defender. He had one ball fall to him in the 74th minute and looked like he could have injured himself if he'd miskicked it any worse. Good effort from Knight just as I began to type this. Just a general lack of nous and skill. Not to excuse Kenny - he as the manager will shoulder most blame for any loss, but this Irish team has about as much cutting edge as a butter knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

He won't survive much longer. Shame it didn't work out but at the end of the day results matter.

He needs to go. The team selection is wrong. The system is wrong. He has no plan b to change things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Xander10

most disappointing that the changes didn't come at HT instead of after going behind and then with 20 mins to go. The signs were there at HT that we were making no inroads after the first 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

disappointing result. did that possible handball go to var?

unfortunately, we just dont have the players anymore.

Some logic there. The key is in the name ‘football manager’. Managing a team in a manner which makes them perform better and get results. Whether that is tactically/collectively/individually. Based on players available.

A good international manager plays to a teams strengths while masking their weaknesses. A poor manager does the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well, we were crap against Luxembourg at home and crap against Ajaers at home.

You have a weird fascination about the Georgia game. Apart from being tough opponents, we did try to win the game, maybe not to your bizarre liking, but he even gave Aaron Connolly his debut and he fluffed a good chance.

That's all as an aside anyway. Did you not see Ireland get three results out of four against Switzerland and Denmark? Best Georgia at home?

Can only dream of such results now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tandey

Scots should beat us. Nothing to concern them I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Duffy unlucky, Collins looks more than decent, UNFORTUNATELY the ROI are like my granny, completely toothless

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We have fewer and fewer players playing regularly in any top flight, or even second flight across Europe. We should have had about 3 goals after conceding.

• Advertisement

I find it hilarious that you think leaving on 3 cbs and a dm on the field when chasing the game is a good idea just so we might nick a goal from a set piece. Its evident that kenny is out of his depth with that crap going on. And nothing will change.

It was a definite handball and we should have got a penalty in the first half. Inexplicable that VAR ignored both those crucial decisions. We didn't deserve to lose the game. I know everyone wishes Ukraine well but we were robbed tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Knight sums it all up under Kenny 😀

F*ck it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

The only chances we make is when the big man goes forward and we play hoof ball.

End product going forward is terrible, poor decision making. Weak shots from distance etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,159 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If he goes soon fine but not for some knee jerk big Sam type shte.

And by that I don't mean the style of play which really doesn't bother me but I really like these young players and hope the new manager keeps going in that direction. We were too conservative in the past and it cost us.

• Advertisement

Jason Knight isn't the player of the match. They should call it the Irish player of the match award. They did the same in the Armenia game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think you could say there’s some mitigating circumstances. covid didn’t help and he was basically tasked with completely overhauling the squad, which will be beneficial to us long term. The teams results had been getting better to the tail end of the qualifying group too(although I accept these results have been disappointing).

Not saying he’s the saviour of Irish football, but he’s absolutely done enough to be given a full campaign with his players.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Trap, O'Neill and Mick didn't move on with the times and stuck with the same putrid systems and the same old excuses of that it wasn't their fault, it was the players.

It is exactly this short-sightedness that there's a real gap of quality in the Irish side at the moment. Most of our best players now are either over 30 or under 23. There is nearly nobody in that 24 to 30 range now and that is practically an entire generation of players that have just been completely missed out on because of the lack of foresight from previous management all because of the short-term gain of John Delaney and co getting their hooley out in Poland and France.

What was the point of qualifying for all of those tournaments when Irish football has suffered as a result? There's plenty of reasons to be critical of Stephen Kenny, but saying that Mick, Trap and O'Neill would do a better job when they're part of the reason that we're in this mess is exactly how stupid that argument is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Did you see the pen they didn't get against Wales on Sunday ? They were completely robbed.

I didn't think it was a pen for us tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

At least we're doing our bit for Ukrainian morale seeing as how we're not sending them any M777 howitzers.

Players and manager not good enough I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

We were not robbed, we were deservingly beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

World Cup qualifiers we finished level on points with Luxembourg.

5 wins in 24 games. 20.8% wins. We've failed to score in 12 of the 24 games.

Losses to Luxembourg and Armenia.

Anyone who thinks this is progress is delusional.

Knight cursing with frustration. I think the only thing Ireland can win is the ‘3 MOTM’ and they give those away regardless of results!

Thats another goup over with already.

I dont remember the last time we were out of two groups consecutively after a few games.

There'll be little or no interest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ah now, I'm all for calling out bad decisions etc but both teams could have had a penalty so there's no bias on show. Nothing else happened there.

We were fairly poor bar the last 15 minutes when we finally upped the tempo. We were just so slow on the ball all game, poor decision making all around. Final ball killed us all night. We were desperate for someone who could get on the ball and do something offensively.

Substitutions could/should have been made at half time, I'd have changed shape and gotten Obafemi on at ht. We lacked any presence up front.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement