Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I watched the original for the first time at the weekend and it was great. Much better than I thought it was.

I had always thought Kilmer’s Iceman was supposed to be some nasty asshole who gets redeemed towards the end but he was the sensible guy and Maverick was the jerk.

I thought knowing Goose does would ruin it but not knowing when or how balanced it out.

I had no idea Meg Ryan and Tim Robbins were in it.

Looking forward to the new one next week. I know Teller plays Goose’s son and I hope Ryan makes an appearance. And McGillis too.

Is Maverick supposed to be older than Cruise was at the time? There are a few moments where Cruise looks like a teenager.

We saw him working on it and flying it - did he say he owned it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I thought that was the implication too since he had a lot of personal stuff in the hangar it was kept in

Nah you were supposed to think that Elon Musk just gave him a loan of it!

I agree - seemed to be "his" very much - there was no suggestion otherwise

You get this a fair bit in movies with punters who have fairly low-paid jobs - but happen to be driving a mint condition Porsche 911 964 or something similar worth 200k

We don't really know much about Maverick's family, an American naval officer coming from money isn't unheard of.

• Advertisement

unheard of doesn't mean that he comes from money so wouldn't really assume it with no evidence or mention.

his bank card was declined as it couldn't cover the bar tab for some beers - that we did actually hear of.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If he bought the car / plane at the start of his career in the 80s, they were worth a fraction of what they are worth today, I remember air cooled 911 going for around €15k even as recently as 2008

His dad was a pilot too so inheriting the plane isn't out of the realms of possibility either. I'm sure P-51s were almost affordable in the 60s. Bit of an odd choice for a navy family to buy an army air force plane though but then again Tom Cruise doesn't own something like a Hellcat, Wildcat, or Corsair as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

as directions threads take, this has to be one of the more stupid ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Ffs it's a movie, get a grip lads 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

100%, if you’re not seeing this in a cinema your experience of it will be greatly diminished IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

interested to see it at home if it holds up as well.. few people have commented its better second time around on big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah Mick, it is one of those films that watching it at home wouldn't do it justice no matter how good your setup is. That said, I saw it in one of the smaller screens in Dundrum and wasn't overwhelmed by the experience and the sound was not loud enough. Decent film though. Easily 8 out of 10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Watched it at the weekend in blanchardstown imax, wow, what a movie and what a cinema experience! Price was €36 for two but seats and space are great, the biggest compliment I can give the seats is I didn't need to movie from side to side as the movie went on, very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Utterly utterly utterly utterly BRILLIANT!!

I am still buzzing after seeing this, absolutely INCREDIBLE.

Tom Cruise is an absolute legend.

Saw it in a really big screen in Barcelona.

10/10, cannot wait to see it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To be honest, went to this to kill time before I had to be elsewhere, but really enjoyed it.

Kept having to remind myself Cruise is turning 60 next month.

To be fair, he was in his thirties when they first started shooting the Maverick ...

😋

• Advertisement

Even at that - I went to see it in Movies @ Swords last Thursday; screen 6* in the recliners at the front. I really enjoyed it but enjoyed it so much more when I went again on Sunday to the Maxx screen in Omniplex Rathmines; smack bang in the middle and it was a much better cinematic experience.

*I like screen 6 in Swords generally since it was renovated but have taken to sitting in the recliners when I go to Swords recently to be away from the chair kickers/phone messers/yapper twats...Other movies have been fine but it was too close to the screen to properly take in the amazing visuals (and audio!) for Maverick.

don't get you - are you referring to delays on the second movie (mostly filmed in 2018-19 but some complex parts delayed due to the pandemic) or the original (released in 1986 when cruise born in 1962 was 24)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Saw this in Liffey Valley and really enjoyed it. The sound wasn't as loud as normal for a cinema (or may be I am going deaf). I will defo go see it again.

I know Cruise is aging well and is very fit for his age etc but I think they cgi'd his face a little at times in this. In some scenes his face look 20 years younger and in some later scenes his face was more like it really is today. May be that was my imagination.

Also, no Take my Breath Away???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I purposely saw this in The Lighthouse in Smithfield as they crank the sound and I loved it. Nice air conditioned cinema with comfortable seats.

Had a big grin on my face when they had the Top Gun theme at the beginning then went into Danger Zone, no better way to start the movie to be honest. Thought it was a great film, didn't drag on at all. Maybe could have been a bit more tension between the pilots during training as it went into the mission quick enough. Great tension during the mission, great scenes of Tom Cruise doing the g force breathing to help with the intensity.

Waited for the Lady Gaga song to end at the credits to see if the Top Gun theme would play again and it did :)

Great summer block buster, looking forward to watching it again.

Have a 100 inch projector setup with 5.1 at home which isn't bad.. but seeing this in screen 17 imax Parnell street was an jaw dropping experience

Yeah I’ve a pretty decent OLED/Atmos setup here alright, I keep mulling over getting a projector…But, almost nothing can match the audio/visual power of a Cinema, especially coupled with the right audience.

You get the chance to see these films a finite amount of times in the way filmmakers intend them to be seen, we’ve then the rest of our lives to watch them at home.

Post edited by Shred on

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭RickBlaine

Genuinely surprised at how engaging and entertaining this was. Never in a million years would I have predicted that a Top Gun sequel would be this good (I never really liked the original anyway). I got strong Mission Impossible vibes which is unsurprising due to Tom Cruise and the seemingly impossible mission they have to pull off. Also a strong A New Hope influence too with the layout of the mission and "Don't think, just do" seemed to be their version of "Use the force".

The Empire podcast was absolutely raving about it and I was sceptical that it was that good but it was a super time at the cinema, a real cinema experience. Glad I got a chance to see it on imax before that screen is taken over by Jurassic World 3 which by most accounts is a total dud.

Yeah, it's basically a star wars film.

Trench run, precision shot, feel it, no targeting scanners just shoot, antihero shooting big bad just as he has lock, new generation of warrior

• Advertisement

i did say that to my wife during the run... this reminds me of the death star..

Advertisement