Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Never said ‘Happy” , “Performance “. “Unlucky”. Or any of your other inane cliches.

Oh you know your football all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yes we are awful, I just don't know where we're supposed to go with these players. do we get hughton in and get organised and try and scrape a draw or win here and there? i dont really care about qualifying for things with a bunch of useless players - we need to produce 2 or 3 good quality players and build the team around them, or we're never getting anywhere, regardless of the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Win, draw or mainly lose, Stephen Kenny is incapable of giving a post match interview adequately.....

Kenny Cunningham has an incredible ability at talking nonstop utter bollèx....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

3 minutes of nothingness, rambling, you could hear Tony at the end, just with the demeanour of… “ right enough, that was pointless “ dying to get back to the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Jeff Hendrick. I don't get it. Iv never seen him play well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No thrust. No guile; no panache

Worse then I thought, but he’s probably on his way to a new contract… being a good football man, good understanding of the grass roots of the game, hangs his own washing out.. etc… and to think people on here and elsewhere defend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I want to give Kenny time but that interview was an absolute car crash. Rabbit in the headlights on the last question, faffed about and then answered a different question.

Someone above is right. We probably don’t have the players for what he’s trying to do. How we coach football in this country is a disgrace from what I’ve seen. Lots of kids being coached to win games first and foremost which means getting back to front quickly, which means having defenders who are not coached to play football - just to win the ball and get rid of it.

Personally, I think we end up coaching soccer like GAA a lot and it stops players developing proper skills. And that’s not a dig at GAA. Their games are modelled on getting it up the pitch quickly. Football is not like that.

You can’t undo years of terrible coaching or reverse a mindset from Kennys position. The horse has long since bolted at that stage. He’s making a bit of a pigs ear of it but I admire him for his principles and for trying. But as someone else said, Trap and O’Neill are experienced football men and knew we couldn’t play proper football and win. And they’re in the results business. So is Kenny. And on that basis, he’s edging closer to the exit door.

Child’s Play. But without Chucky gettin stabby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did you not see Ireland V Sweden in Euro 2016? He is good but he has no one around him that can play. We are dirt so im not sure why people blame Kenny for that by the way.

Are some of you actually investing in a debate over this shower?

all of the above was intimated by the tone of the interview….

which was from start to finish papering over the cracks of an abjectly miserable performance…. The usual SK schtick.

i know Kenny certainly…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Well definitely in trappatonis case it was **** brutal.....

He deserved to be hounded out, it was like he showed the players a map of the pitch with the opposition half under water and **** dragons and unknown behemoths lurking just under the surface and a label "here be monsters"

With somewhat better players he managed to completely remove their ability to pass in any forward direction whatsoever and instil anxiety in them if they retained possession for any longer than 30 seconds as a collective such was his utter distrust of our players

Did anyone else see that too or am I delusional....we put 10 men behind the ball from minute 1 to 90 and then conceded at some stage in the second half etc

I mean Kenny may be poor and perhaps he should go but don't tell me what trappatoni served up was much better..its admitting defeat from the get go imo....at least with Kenny although defeat may be inevitable at least we are putting a brave face on it.

As bad as it is I'd have Kenny over Trappatoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

That was an awful interview. At one point in the same 1 minute long sentence he said we were both too slow in the buildup AND too direct. He clearly has no idea what went on and why.

He has to go. And to be fair he had the look of a man who knows he will be sacked after these series of games.

Yeah. He looked like he was turning it around just before the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He was good in one match 6 years ago he is now 30 he is not getting better.

To be fair, asking the manager if his team are fit enough is little more than trolling.

O' Donaghue has been doing that job longer than any Irish manager yet still seems utterly clueless about football or how to conduct a worthwhile interview.

Traps first two campaigns were really good. The football wasn’t great but the results were.

• Advertisement

I'm just kidding 😏 I'm honestly not very knowledgeable on Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Very diificult wicket for any manager in that position though. Almost impossible to say anything candid without either throwing his players under the bus or admitting he doesn't have a clue himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Dreadful again but we miss Anthony Barry badly I think it’s no coincidence our uptick in form coincided with him replacing duff and now he’s gone we’re back to Keith Andrews directing planes in to land on the sideline while kenny is begging lads to keep it on the deck.

At least Trapp qualified us for Euro 2012…. Problem with him was he was tactically a one trick pony who was far too negative tactically for the players who’d been used to playing a certain way. In 64 games his Irish team only scored 86 goals..1.3 goals per game on average.

Kenny not only has us scoring feck all but we ain’t getting the points.

Neither are most of the rest of us, we just like to think otherwise. At least you’re honest about it…

You are free to think so but in the absence of any credible retort aside from childish insults… I’ll leave it and you there…. 😉

I'd get caught out if I started talking strategy, player abilities etc 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

You didn't listen to it did you? He mentioned performance and Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why is there not enough "time"?

Are people so desperate to go back to Trappatoni ball and scrape a few **** draws here and there? Park the bus and still fail anyway because the squad is far poorer than it ever was under Trappatoni?

Ireland has all the time in the world, it is rock **** bottom in terms of quality and only a **** idiot thinks there is any sticking plaster that will cover up that fact.

Bollocks to results, especially in glorified friendlies like the nations league. This time now should be all about integrating new players and sticking with a style that might have success years down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Get on the phone to Lee Carsley stat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement