Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ultimately Ireland will most likely get worse in the long term, regardless of who is in charge. We have abdicated responsibility in producing players ourselves due to complete and total incompetence and corruption at the board level of our association.

We are totally unique in this way in European football. It completely hamstrings us in any effort to develop our national team, as we are completely reliant on other associations to develop our players and then we're essentially stuck trying to work with what we have.

Ireland now need to start with a roadmap to improve development of players, to at least have them at a higher standard when they're at the age where they might go abroad.

It's going to get more and more difficult for us as time goes on, and I think now we're maybe at the level where we can target being at the Euros(a World Cup is totally out of the question imo), but I wouldn't be too confident that we'll be in that position in 2028, as other smaller nations start getting their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

The team is crap there is no doubt about that Kenny is working with some very average players but it does not completely absolve him of responsibility.

People talk as if its a binary choice between Kenny and MON style hoofball but has anyone actually looked at how we play under Kenny?? It is still hoofball just down the sides rather than through the middle our only attacking threat is Shane Duffy ffs.

It's time the FAI suits starting looking for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don't disagree with that. It's a results game at the end of the day. He's running out of road. Needs to win on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

There were better players ahead of some of them hence the lack of caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If Kenny was sacked you're looking at a John Eustace type replacement, literally it could be John Eustace as there could be a shake up of the QPR staff with Beale coming in as manager.

A coach or assistant manager looking to break into management. Won't be Steven Reid as he's not gonna walk away from a Premier League club, or it's gonna be Robbie Keane, already getting a wage from the FAI as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

Whatever about the merits of Stephen Kenny, the glee with which people are looking to use his record to have a go at “LOI fanboys” really gets my goat. Is there anywhere else in Europe where supposed “fans” have such contempt for their own league ? Maybe they should stick to supporting Man U and Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

So should we ask our players to play a different way than they do with their clubs? We have to move with the times. As i said Kenny may not be the man long term but i would still give him the Euros.

If i was him now id come out and say we wanted to try win the group, thats not going to happen now so im going to play all the kids and get them caps and bed into international football. At least there is some good to come out of the nations league.

If Turkiye are in league C we are currently punching above our weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Anyone with an ounce of sense knew exactly what the outcome of appointing a failed Dunfermline LOI grade manager to an international management job would result in. Since then, we've had two years of excuses, "COVID", "he's changing Irish football" among a host of other bollocks. It was clear from day one that this emperor had no clothes, but all of the media, the LOI fans spun the same bullshit line.

Well thankfully results don't lie, and the "success" of the Kenny era is there for all to see. You lads own this, this is where "give him a chance" has gotten us.

Steve staunton is the big winner of the kenny regime is sitting at home now with a big smile on his face knowing he is now not the worst manager in the history of republic of ireland international football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Poor stuff from me?? what's that about?

If i though it was a pen I would say that but it wasn't for me. If that was given against us I'd be fuming. Kelleher was unlucky for the goal but Ukraine ran the game for a good 70 mins and were clearly the better side tonight for me.

It was a definite penalty on Robinson.

That was the only goal Ukraine got. In the context of the game, I think we were unlucky to lose the game.

Personally I don't really care who the senior team manager is or what his background is once we are playing to our potential, I would've liked for Kenny to do well being a homegrown manager and trying to play a decent brand of football but the reality is the football isn't really that much better than previous managers and the results are awful.

I don't understand the gloating either but also don't understand the almost cult like backing of Kenny, he hasn't got the results needed and we should be working in the background to find his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

God help whatever poor bastard ends up in the job after Kenny (rightly) goes.

Best fans in the world. Ole, ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Stephen Kenny, “it was a tactical game”. Good grief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Xander10

defeat to Scotland will make it very hard for him to carry on

It's the most depressing stuff to be having a go at LOI fans who were obviously hoping for the best with Kenny. I was hoping for the best with him and still do and I'm a Celtic fan.

As I grow older I realise more and more the importance that soccer is going nowhere in Ireland until the domestic scene improves significantly and players can make a good living in this country playing football and not necessarily have to leave all the time. The old well of sons and grandsons of Irish emigrants is nearly completely dried up. We need to produce near all our players from here now, especially with that Southgate fella sniffing out any strays that might come our way via the old dried up well.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A bit of a reality check is needed. There are 14 players in the English top flight and a handful of others elsewhere in top league with only Cullen being regular. Of those in the EPL only Coleman has played more than 20 games. Everyone else is a squad player, mostly off the bench.

We've 35 players in Championship. We have a fair few Centrebacks in that, and quite a few tried and tested other players. Then another smattering in Ligue 1 and Scotland.

The level at which players are playing it is not what it used to be. We're sending over a couple of decent players and hoping they make it, but it's slim pickings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Is it fair to say that the only changes in style under the Kenny regime is we pass the ball about a bit prior to lumping it into the box hoping for Duffy or someone to get their hear on it.

I don't watch an awful lot of soccer to be fair. I would watch all the Ireland games, would go to the odd cork city match and watch a bit on TV. Am I missing something? It just seems like we still have no real way of breaking down teams.

I think we miss Doherty terribly as he was the player that seemed to link the whole thing together regardless of what wing he was on. Was able to to step in side and pass the ball. If you go with wing backs in this system they need to be really creative. You couldn't have said that about either Stevens or Christie tonight.

Why not play ogbene there the next night or festy? Their is no urgency from the wing backs what so ever. I thought McClean did well when he came on. I hope we improve and Kenny keeps the job but if we are on less the 3 points at least after this window I'd say he might have to go

a lot of journeymen in the likes of the Wales squad that made the WC

It really was and we were.

You said yourself Kelleher was unlucky for the goal, so you're contradicting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

And why did they make the WC? Two world class players and one who happens to score out of nothing. We are miles off of that. Even scotland have a potential world class player in Robertson. We have nothing even close to that quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

We were poor tonight no doubt about it. We've a big problem in that while we have a ton of young centre backs and goalies coming through, we've got next to nothing upfront coming through. I'd criticise Kenny's lineup tonight, Ogbene and Robinson aren't strong enough forwards to play the role they were asked to do today. Robinson was just poor and Ogbene is a winger or wing back not a centre striker. Kenny was overreliant on their pace causing problems and when that didn't work he didn't react fast enough to change it. Was surprised Knight got man of the match, lots of running but little quality on the ball and too easily bypassed by the Ukrainian midfield. Thought Cullen and Hendrick had a tough night as Ukraines midfield give them the run around at times. We could do with some players of the Ukrainian technical level as their midfield was a joy to watch in how they cut through ours at times.

Egan give away a stupid foul for their goal and I was disappointed with Duffy tonight, he made a good few errors plus he should have buried that chance that hit the crossbar. It was a free header six or seven yards out he shouldn't miss that. Wasn't mad on Kelleher either, their goal was sloppy and some of his kicking wasn't great either. Collins was man of the match I felt, he defended well and was useful on the ball too.

Strange atmosphere at the match tonight. Lads behind the goal were very quiet for most of the match and there was loads of Ukrainian women and children in the section I was in. Hope they had a great time at least.

I'd be a fan of Kenny but he needs results at this stage. One thing he definitely needs to drop his the overreliance on pace and energy as the sole factors for our forwards. Need much more cleverness and guile in attack, Jack Byrne or a player like him is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Fine and Duffys foul was a definite peno so Ukraine were unlucky. Please move on, no-one was robbed by the officials. Its a truly bizzare pov to take away from that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The fundamental problem for this Irish team is that we simply lack the players with the technical ability to play the football that Kenny wants us to play. Ukraine on the otherhand had the players to transition the ball quickly and at ease. For us unfortunately, it was much more laboured and slow. The quality gap between Hendrick/Cullen and the two Ukrainian midfielders was clearly very wide.

It's very worrying that in the interview, Kenny himself put the blame on the team being too direct in our build-up play. I think he's going to continue playing this possession based, passing style even though we don't have the players. I can't see results getting any better, and ultimately I think the FAI will lose patience. The FAI have a break clause in his contract, so if results don't start improving soon, it's possible he may end up going as soon as September if this Nations League campaign doesn't improve.

I hope he can turn things around, but his tactics and words suggest that he's committed to his philosophy.

I'll tell you what's bizarre. Posters on here (Irish fans all of them I take it) claiming the Robinson incident in particular was not a penalty, when it clearly was and the panel watching the replays at halftime said it was as well. Completely bizarre. The tide is out on Kenny though, so the "bizarre" takes over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Define world class. For me it means that it could be argued that a player makes a world eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How many on the Irish panel at halftime were referees/former referees like the VAR officials and the man in the middle of the park tonight??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

If Kenny was asked challenging questions i’ve no doubt he’d have a breakdown live on air, he’s so far out of his depth it’s gone beyond a joke. The players mightn’t be good enough but Kenny definitely isn’t. It’s hard to see him turning things around.

It was a penalty. Bizarre that posters on here are trying to make out otherwise. Absolutely bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To give Kenny his due his interviews are better than Staunton’s! 🤔

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not stone wall territory though. Ive seen them not given mote than given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It just was nowhere near blatant enough to feel robbed. Be great to have gotten it but the Duffy one was blatant and wasn't given either. So...

What's this Irish fans or tide is out $hite. I've been a big defender of Kenny but I'm not going to start blaming the ref like some idiot when there's zero reason to.

I'd have felt robbed if that offside decision ruled out a belter of an Irish goal.

I think Tony O'Donoghue knows something we dont re kennys frame of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Even this guy gives better interviews than Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Such a frustrating night, particularly with Saturday fresh in the memory. Felt like we could have played for hours and not scored a goal. No positives to take from tonight as far as I'm concerned, can't say any player played particularly well or that we were unlucky to lose. It doesn't feel like we are going in any particular direction anytime fast. Since around 2017 we have been brutal and it has frankly felt like a chore to go to games. We could change manager and have a new false hope but not sure what difference that would make. We are where we deserve to be. Brutal and no reason to be optimistic. Depressing few days for our national team and only going to get worse over our next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

At least Kenny can't be parodied further, he is the fúckin parody.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Gareth Bale, even in his current phase of completely phoning it in, is much better than any other player we have.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because referees never get anything wrong, ever.

I think the Robinson penalty would have been soft enough but that logic you have used above is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Looks like Bazunu could be a Premier League keeper next season. Though some comments that Southampton are initially looking for a young no.2 that can challenge for the no.1 spot. James Ducker reporting that if a deal happens a buy back option and sell on clause is expected to be in any deal.

Southampton fans not happy though and see it as a potential Angus Gunn 2.0 who they also signed from City. Fans feel it's an experienced no.1 they need to replace McCarthy outright. Has his work cut out for him anyway if he goes in as no.1 because Southampton's defence is absolutely rank. Only finished five points above relegation and could be in a relegation battle if they don't improve that back four.

It would've been a very soft penalty, Robinson was on his way down before any contact was made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can the FAI afford to pay him out and replace him? Any experienced manager with a half decent reputation would be more expensive than Kenny (I'd assume anyway).

Im very surprised Kenny is earning so much

Could be a very bad move from an Irish point of view, last thing we need is Bazunu sitting on the bench rather than playing

What championship managers might be interested? This cant be let go on much longer. Kenny looks a shell and its tough for the man and his family obviously. Its only sport.

Bruce

Hughton

Roy keane

Make a call to carsley. Although hes doing well with a seriously talented group.

Sean dyche?

Kenny is going nowhere in the immediate short term unless he walks himself, contract until 2024 and unless the FAI have a clause to get rid of him on the cheap at the end of the Nations League he'll most likely be in charge for the start of the Euro qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement