Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ralf Rangnick took over the Austria team this week. He was asked about the pressing system and said the Austrian players are raised playing this way, to press players and doing something different would be foolish.

Stephen Kenny is trying to win a formula one race driving a Ford Fiesta.

If you want to improve quality of players it starts at the youth level. Needs to start from the bottom up.

Why did Robbie Keane and duffer turn into quality? Because they were coached young! It wasn't mick Mccarthys genius that turned Robbie Keane into our record goalscorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Nothing to do with coaching.

Keane and Duff learnt football the way all the best players do . . . off the streets.

We don't have the players, that's true. But we are not a footballing nation. Football is the 4th sport in this country after GAA, Hurling and Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Sure this is it. The players are individually average. Some of the short passing was horrendous. These lads are kicking a football for a living yet overkick or under kick what looks straight forward. Is it panic or lack of confidence? I dont know. Ancelotti would struggle with this lot.

The Ukrainian midfield bullied the Irish lads too. Pushed them around and got some tough tackles in . If Ireland are going to play crap well at least try and be strong to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wouldn't inspire a basket of puppies to chase a tennis ball. Has the charisma of a ham sandwich. Out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Duff was as far from a footballer from 'the streets' as possible.

Coaching is everything.

• Advertisement

It actually seemed like the underage setup in Ireland during the 90s was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,126 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's all a bit sad though because since I was 7 watching us beat England in Euro 88, Ireland games have always been a big deal for me. In the last few years I'm just apathetic towards it. Going to see Bohs the odd time and having a few beers is my football life now, Ireland just isn't working. It's just nuts that we don't have even one very good player, outfield players at least. Look at Norway they've possibly got the new Ronaldo/Messi and Odegaard, when are we due one of these? Then again you look at Rosenberg and I know they're off the footballing map these days but Ireland has never come close to that level of competitiveness in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Any of the Irish squad that are English born to Irish parents or with an Irish grandparent. The underage coaching set up here would have made no difference for obvious reasons .

There would be a sizable number of the squad surely

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, I don’t think I ever missed and Ireland game, even when we were playing badly if I’m away on holiday, work course.. whatever… find a pub and TV to watch and support.

ive missed a few games the last couple of years, apathy crept in… spoofer in charge not up to it… and a limited team in terms of abilities, entertainment value and guile…. Plenty of effort and earnestness but it ends there…. Stephen Kelly caked in makeup, dressed like Clark Kent minus a phone box whilst going on like he’s won about 17 trophies and barely allowing anyone get a word in isn’t that appealing either.

• Advertisement

Stephen Kelly reminds me of Peewee Herman. I was always the same, living in Oz and NZ seeking out bars to watch Ireland Georgia etc. I've just lost the grá for the team really, and it doesn't help that we've zero good players and there are no signs of improvement. I think the country will be apathetic until/if we produce a world class player like Bale or Haaland, or even a feckin Kieran Tierney or McGinn.

Yeah exactly. We haven't produced any good player in years, our team would probably finish midtable/get relegated from the Championship at this stage.

That's where we're at now. A small country needs an iconic player to get behind and through them feel that the unlikely is possible. You can't even dream with this Irish team. Clearly the whole team is limited. The under 21's seem okay but still not good enough.

Fulham and Mitrovic would steamroll that team 6 or 7 nil as they do. Would we even compete in League 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Nah. The best players always go the route they can make money in. No one is choosing gaa over the potential career of a footballer.

I think we'd get promoted from League One but it's not certain which just shows how bad we are.

None of our players that play in the Championship are stand out players.

We're League 1 standard.

That's mental really. I honestly think Dundalk 2017 would beat this Ireland team when you take into account familiarity/cohesion and momentum.

Only luck will improve us, like if a generation of 5 or 6 come through at once.

i always advocated that a government would eventually through big money at grassroots football in this country, coaching and facilities but that won’t happen…

last budget 144 million was available for granting but 1900 clubs and organisations were granted it… across all sports.

only on average just under 76,000 per team / organisation…would barley pay for a set of floodlights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Are you suggesting 10/12yos are thinking about career's? Surely they're just playing which ever sport they're enjoying most.

Built into that enjoyment is structure, coaching, prevelance of the sport in the wider community and how much notoriety it brings to be attached with a specific club/team.

Soccer is way down the list in most communities in Ireland for all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We are playing far better football than under trap, o neil, mc carthy, we create chances, pass the ball well enough but the players have no idea how to put the ball in the net. remember a paddy power advert a few years ago it said time for the Ireland game, 90 minutes of kicking the ball away like its a nest of wasps, that was a perfect way to describe the "football" we were playing at the time, players were terrified of the ball, at least now the players want the ball and try to create something, not just lumping it up to the striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a results business, he took the big job and he's failing big time.

Our Haaland is probably playing Gaelic football or hurling. and maybe the Norweigans aren't as obsessed with the English premier league are Irish people are, that is why they have had more success in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think its different to the old way but the new fear factor is playing forward passes. It's genuinely just as bad to keep playing it backwards and lose it eventually as it is to keep hoofing it.

The middle ground is where good teams reside. Maybe the forward passes will come with time but SK is running out of time.

Hopefully his replacement finds the middle ground.

What have you been watching? In the last third of the pitch we look exactly like how Ireland always play. Our only thing in mind is to punt the ball into the box. There's nothing wrong with that, that's how many goals can be scored but there's nothing revolutionary about how we attack. The only difference is our long balls come from a bit higher up the pitch than before.

David clifford and ciaran kilkenny along with a good few other chose GAA over money playing in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

No we aren't.

Our win v Italy and Austria under Martin O Neill was a far better performance than anything Kenny has served up over 17 competitive games. Our draw away to Italy under Trap and our normal time victory away to France under Trap was a far better performance than anything under Kenny. Our draw at home to Denmark under Mick was better than anything produced by Kenny.

How anyone can actually watch these games and claim we play good football is utterly beyond me. Tonight was a dreadful display, utterly pathetic and it is the norm of the reign. We've seen that performance 6 times in the last nations league, we saw it v Azerbaijan and Luxembourg at home, even Serbia at home we were repeatedly carved open. To claim we are playing better football is just nonsense at this point, unless you value the defenders passing it amongst each other as some sort of total football knock off.

I also highly doubt you watch our games given you have left out the Shane Duffy up front tactic that we have repeatedly deployed, complete with long ball after long ball - across numerous games. Nice football my arse.

There was some good passes in the game today, years ago they were just belting it up and pray it breaks to us. Egan hit a lovely pass to robinson in the first half.

You'd have to wonder how many of the Dublin senior Gaelic football squad might have become quality association football players. They have all the right physical attributes.

Exactly and tonight we had 6 shots, 3 on target. We hit the target roughly every 30 minute and had a shot about every 15… not going to win many matches if that’s all you really create.

we play poor, slow and tactically inept football with feck all end product, it’s boring and hopelessly inept.

• Advertisement

Lionel Messi. Our players are physically fine, they lack finesse, skill, technique and guile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement