Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The more games I'm watching the more the dogma is clear. Instead of hoof it forward when under pressure it's now knock it backwards.

The players neeed to be comfortable in possession which I definitely think SK has tried to instill in them but there needs to be way more impotence placed on playing forward passes.

Losing the ball in the final 3rd with a 50/50 pass and defending high up the pitch if you do lose it is better than passing all the way back and playing out all over again.

Erling Halland. He would make a fine GAA player. Do you think a GAA player could be a fine soccer player? Or does every soccer player have to be exactly like Messi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

We are after getting beaten twice in a row.

Once by Armenia and again by a second string Ukrainian team.

We played some great football against Portugal and Belgium but its all gone wrong again. On the backfoot again. Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Haha has happy….Shane Supple played a handful of league games for Dublin and ipswich, Falkirk, Oldham and Bohemians…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't agree with that...if there was no gaa and an improved league because it I'm positive you would see more good soccer players....imagine if the same level of interest that's funnelled into the hurling and football championships, county finals all Ireland club finals was focused on soccer here....it would be bound to produce more players at a higher level

I'm not saying it would result in trophies mind you but to say the better players go and play soccer because that's where the money is and the rest get left behind because they aint good enough seems incorrect or reductive at best to me

I think you are underestimating the draw of GAA from a young age....its bred into you, I'm certain theres many a potentially talented soccer player that never was because they never even considered it (or their parents/community around them didnt) or they missed a window to start young and couldn't catch up to the skill level required in their late teens/20s while competing against lads that had 10yrs more experience etc

I look at some of the younger players in particular on successful teams football and hurling and the skills, fitness etc and think they are not far off professional.....while holding down a job.......as soccer fan my mouth would be watering at the thought of getting some of those young lads into a youth academy with a sole focus on soccer......I've no doubt some of them would be top class if they were committed to it the same way they commit to their county teams...with a community around them focused on the sport

It may have been a bit more common in the past as there less options in the country for a physically talented person to earn big money playing a ball game...take Niall Quinn, Kevin Moran......you can't tell me there wouldn't be more of those now given the increased skill levels, commitment and physical conditioning at some of the top counties if you got them young.

We're sports mad in this country if you ask me, its just that soccer is down the pecking order really.....we benefitted a lot from proximity to the English league, emigration and near poverty in the past..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If any of those GAA lads showed a talent for football and I mean enough talent that it was clear they'd be exceptional then they'd pursue football. It's only a few counties where some lads might never play football and what are the chances these tiny populations are going to produce some great soccer player? We definitely lose some players but it's not like the USA or something where literally their best athletes rarely end up as footballers or even as much as kick a football(and yet they still can produce quality players) Those GAA lads more than likely have played football at some level and many were probably quite good but showed more talent in their respective sports and ended up going down that route. You only have to look at Scotland to see a similar country that rarely produces outstanding players(but more than us) and they have no GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Norway have also won 160 medals at the Summer Olympics apparently, never mind the way they dominate the Winter Olympics. We are just f*cking shite at anything to do with football.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think they actually are obsessed with the PL, maybe not as much as we are.

Nah..I just can't agree with that.....just the existence of GAA and all that goes with it reduces the player pool in a country with an already low population (in terms of most of the best European teams) ...then there's rugby, your thesis fails on numbers alone

Then if you look at really successful ireland teams of the past many had a large proportion of English born players qualifying on granny rule etc on the starting 11.....not lads that made the trip over because they were too good for GAA.

You take away gaa and replace it with the same focus on soccer (not that such a scenario is even remotely possible) but say you did then you at least get Switzerland or average Norway/Swedencountry level on a consistent basis.....or possibly even approaching Netherlands due to proximity to English league imo.

It's a bit silly to think that all the good ones are spotted and make their way to soccer leaving the mullockers and redneck neanderthals behind to play stickball in ballyarsebackwards with Ciaran and Pat theback O'Meballsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I know plenty of guys who were amazing at GAA and football but amazing in football is different from GAA. You have to be beyond amazing to make pursuing football a worthwhile goal. GAA success is attainable, football success even for the talented is a pipe dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ah, the old Eamon Dunphy / Wes Hoolahan street-football hypothesis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

A lot of our future football hopes lie with the children of immigrants from Eastern Europe and Africa. Their children might want to play soccer as in their local communities in Irelands towns and cities the gaa would be non existant.

It's already starting to come through at the younger ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

We deserve clueless Kenny and a team of Championship standard players for letting Delaney go on for a long as he did, sucking resources out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Was Paul McShane or Gary Doherty beyond amazing at football?

Apparently David Clifford was a top soccer player who could have gone down the professional soccer route, this came from an Irish professional soccer player. Id say in Kerry they would prefer to be on the Kerry team than the Ireland team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Would rather the team at least attempts to play football and fail for the time being that go back to the way things were. Had a season ticket from 08 to to 2016. Some good memories but it was mostly the likes of Georgia coming to the Aviva and dominating possession. Overall, it was a bleak experience and lesser ranked European teams always played nicer football than us.

Beating Germany was great and all, but scoring a 1/1000 shot goal, directly from your keeper to striker, then defending for your life , praying they have one or those nights where it just won't go in, shouldn't be a long term goal.

Qualifying for the odd tournament was nice, but we were lucky that we got to play Italy's second string team to reach the last 16 in 2016. We were grouped with finalists in 2012 but it was plain to see that we were by far the worst team in the competition.

Irish football has been about papering over cracks the last 20 years or so, and we were the last team in Europe playing that hideous style of football, and even then qualification was a rarity.

Would rather bring the kids to games where we are at least trying to play the ball forward along the ground and lose rather than sitting back and trying to nick a goal here and there. It's depression to watch. The under 21s are playing a nice style of football, I think when they come through they'll adapt better.

That's true....but it's even harder to produce quality soccer players if you reduce the player pool....and not chew away at the margins....we are talking vast chunks of potential players gone and only pockets of interest for soccer in the country and the corresponding lack of investment in training/coaching national league and in Dublin (where you should have more of a potential pool of players) you have both GAA and Rugby reducing your player numbers ....I'm not saying that situation is completely wrong (it could have been managed a damn sight better and less corruptly by FAI imo) , but I'm just saying ultimately it's reality..........

Then add to that how the Premier league has changed with the influx of money and outside players squeezing out not just irish but a lot of English players too.....without that the problems in irish soccer might not have been so obvious as there may have been so many quality players on English team more of the granny rulers may have viewed ireland as a more viable option for getting an international game and putting themselves in shop window etc....that has reduced one of the most valuable pools of talent we had available in recent times

A lot of factors have contributed to this...some within and some beyond the FAI .....

It's root and branch stuff to move forward now afaic ......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I know for a fact that players choose rugby over gaa. When I was in college it was a common annoyance by lads in certain counties that their star players in under sixteen and minor teams left the gaa to go play professional rugby.

Young lads play all the sports and if they're good at gaa they're good at soccer and if they're that good at soccer they'll get trials over in England. I know multiple lads who went for trials. None of them made it.

One young lad in particular was the talk of the town. Everyone raved about how unreal he was at soccer. He was banging in goals left right and centre and was sent for trials over for a Premier league club.

Turns out he wasn't good enough for that level and is actually playing in the league of Ireland now at left back! The standard is so high for soccer.

Just look at the pro level aussie rules. The game is similar yet only a handful of gaa players could make the cut in it.

All that may be true but the basic fact remains if you reduce the pool you choose from the number of quality players also reduces.....

You seem to think that anyone that's good at soccer but plays GAA gets spotted or leaves of their own accord and that's it....there are no other factors at play.

It's a ludicrous hill to choose to die on but so be it......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Personally think Irish football and Stephen Kenny is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hoof ball has been found out pretty much everywhere and Ireland don't have the players with the technical ability to play a more advanced game.

The defensive type of football Ireland played prior to Stephen Kenny was pretty common amongst lower half teams in the Premier League in the 90s and 00s where many Irish players played their club football.

Burnley under Dyche were probably the last team to play this style of football and were relegated last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

As a passive observer, if you want to see how poor football, and the FAI, is at the moment...

...then you only have to look at folks reprising the 'Saipan' drama from 20 years ago, aka the last time Ireland was at the world cup.

Now, we all know it was a huge drama at the time, but for anyone born after 2000, they more than likely won't know anything about it.

The whole news piece felt like a 'remember when Ireland had a good team? Remember when the FAI didn't squander all that money and talent? When the Italian media were chuckling away to themselves after the FAI (and Denis O'Brien) spent way too much money on Giovanni Trappatoni, who was well past it by then.'

Felt like a newspiece for people who still read Roddy Doyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the attacking midfielder who scored feck all goals, created feck all chances at the top level and could run all day, all day !

Dunphy was really found out with that obsession… eulogising on him as if he was Kevin De Bruyne in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Our best forward tonight was a full back. Ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Stephen Kenny was always going to have rough time coming from the league of ireland and taking on a team with very little quality . He doesn't inspire any confidence that he will bring us anywhere and its doubtful he has the confidence of the players .At least Brian Kerr seems to be happy enough he is obviously still very sore about getting the heave ho seems he enjoys putting the boot in whenever he gets the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Burnley got relegated, but Leeds were a hairs breath from going down with the opposite approach, bottom line is play to your strengths, and Ireland strength has never involved technically gifted footballers, to think that Stephen Kenny can take non technical footballers and make us play quick passing effective football is far out there. Even a manager who knows what he was doing would struggle.

We will get nowhere until we accept that we need to be results orientated and play the football which beat suits the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

In the past we had the likes of Robbie Keane that could get a goal against Armenia, Luxembourg types. I never remember us steam rolling those teams under Trap, MON or McCarthy. It was more often than not a smash and grab job.

We've been in decline for a long time. In Mick McCarthys Euro 2020 qualifying campaign we scored 7 goals in 8 games (same as Georgia) and were incredibly lucky to get out of Gibraltar with a 1-0.

International football is funny, all it takes is one or 2 players and we'd be in the mix again. Bale has carried Wales to a World Cup. Scoring all 3 of their goals in the play offs. They have one or 2 better players than us behind him but apart from Bale the gulf isn't huge.

Fair enough sack Kenny, but don't expect Chris Hughton or anyone else to get much more out of this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Heard Stephen Kenny post match comments on sports news. Sometimes he talks well enough but this morning came across again as a bit of a spoofer, unconvincing.

i think thats unfair on mccarthy, and yep i agree football was varying degrees of awful under the rest (Trap ingraining a total inferiority complex into the nation's footballing psyche helped here) but of them all kenny has surely by now considerably the worst record

good football vs effective football is, again, a false dichotomy. youve to find a balance somewhere between getting the job done and a long term identity and he's not getting the job done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The top GAA players in the top counties are about as amateur as the top Rugby players were in the late 80's/ early 90's...

I thought we did ok in patches last night, and then faded. Whether that's players at the end of a long season, or not getting enough game time. The final ball was shocking really, but we still had the chances to get a result. At the game at least, it felt like we got feck all from the ref as well.

What's the alternative to trying to play football? If "playing to your strengths" is Keane up front, hoof ball and then defend like f*ck, I won't be renewing my season ticket.

And you would renew it if Kenny stays on and we continue to play this sh1te?

• Advertisement

If I was working in McDonalds and this guy was my manager I'd be disappointed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement