Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Pride Month 2022!

• 02-06-2022 2:34pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a little thread to wish all of you here a very Happy Pride month 2022. 👍👍🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

There have been some dreadful incidents against the Irish LGBTQ community this year, so despite all the tremendous progress we gave achieved over the past 30 or so years, we still cannot take our freedoms for granted - and must also remember and support the tens of millions of closeted and oppressed gay, lesbian and trans people living in intolerant and hostile countries.

Pride - and marking it - is so very important! 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈 What are your thoughts on Pride? Planning to celebrate this year?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I'm actually really excited 🤩

🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈

How come there's no Grand Marshall for the parade this year (page 15 of the pride guide)?

https://dublinpride.ie/pride-2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oookkkaaayyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What?

Theres a pride march and a pride parade and they are not the same thing?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

So it is, must have been uploaded in error maybe?

• Advertisement

I think that Pride is still necessary. Some LGBT people I know say it's not, but I'm not on board with that.

But whilst I support Pride and will be attending this year's parade, as I always try to do, I do think 1-month is pushing it!

In fact, 1-month of any minority is probably pushing it. Ours is so small, and the country has come so far, I think there's an element of overkill with Pride. And I can certainly understand why many straight people - and even some gay people - are getting a little fed up with flags and the constant reminder that our community is effectively victimised. These are the people who have no issues with gay people and who supported marriage equality and all that, but are seeing a barrage of LGBT stuff on their social media feeds and news outlets. And if I were in their shoes, I would absolutely be sick of it. I would feel as if "acceptance" and support is not good enough, and that I must have this smashed in my face at every opportunity to force me to support it more than is warranted. And that's not going to end well at all.

I don't feel like a victim at all, for example. And yes, bad things happen to some gay people. But bad people exist and target everyone in society and always will. Any point of difference, whether it be a tall person, or an obese person, or a ginger person, or a disabled person. You can be sure those same people will target people. But it doesn't mean our community is somehow under renewed threat or sustained assault.

A week is sufficient, in my view.

As for countries that actively target gay people, that should be a year-long battle and not confined to 1-month of Pride in our own countries.

🙄🙄🙄

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Do we not maintain an ever visible presence with our views though? I consistently have men in the social group and in the forums I run who come out and find at the time as they see a presence as being a safe space to come out. Pride does not have to come with all the trappings but surely a presence at all times of the year. Let me know if you are floating about for a pint over Pride

I also think its brilliant to see lots of small places have pride events e.g. Buncrana, Carlow etc as often in the past rural Ireland tended to be very silent and this could in some senses be interpreted as a sense of shame

Terry Pratchet

Reading about numerous hate crimes last few months makes me believe pride is still badly needed

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying Pride isn't needed, or those who do are in a very small, fringe minority.

The argument is that Pride goes on too long. It's also about how the LGBT movement has gone from attaining full equality under the law, which was both desirable and necessary, to now entering a sort of overkill mode - where it's almost never out of your face all year, never mind just Pride month. But that's to be expected I suppose, because if those who advocated for equality have achieved it, what do they do next?

I was watching Piers Morgan debate this very issue with a bisexual writer the other day, and the comments under the video from many gay people say the same thing.

I do get the impression that if this overkill approach to the LGBT community continues, it will actually reverse many of the positive effects that have been achieved. What started out as a righteous movement for equality seems to have moved into a mode where the community wants to feel a bit special. When in reality, there's nothing special about us. We're just as regular as everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is it Gay Pride or LGBTQI+ Pride?

I assume the latter, hence the reference to just "Pride Month".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just not sure I see the link between sexual orientation and gender identity.

This is not the thread for it hotmail

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement