Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

I am a fan of Kenny and the way he wants to play football but he needs to get pragmatic and fast. Ireland simply dont have the players going forward and its not his fault.

We are stacked at centre back, right wing/back and goalkeeper but after that we are abysmal.

Our attacking players are at a standard where they would only be squad players for championship clubs, this is fruition of neglect in Irish football for the last 30 years.

This goes way beyond any one manager

Isn't that becoming normal in the modern game though. Trent, Andy Robertson are often among Liverpools better attacking players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Couldnt see Ireland beating Scotland , is it the case Ireland are going to finish bottom at this stage and drop down to C Nations league groupings . Hard to see us qualifying for Euro 2024

We would be playing Cyrpus, Luxembourg, Gibraltar in C pool groupings of nations league next time round and should be capable of doing well and that should help us qualify for Euro 2028 which could be held in England/Ireland

I really don't know what to think about Kenny. On the one hand it's good to give him a chance to have a crack at implementing his ideas. But he needs to string a couple of wins together soon. He is getting more wiggle room than most would have in his position. At least people's delusions that we could win by playing nice passing football are being indulged and shown to be folly that they are. We are not Spain and we never will be. We should be looking to imitate teams like Wales or Denmark. Not Barcelona under Pep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

FYI Ireland have played in a major tournament more recently than Norway. The way some people go on here you'd swear Ireland have never been in anything.

I would say Ireland have gotten to a level that is about right for a smaller nation we've even punched above our weight at times. Unfortunately the team hasn't the same level of success in recent years that we had in the 80s, 90s, 00s and even 2010s.

Qualifying for a major tournament especially a World Cup is not easy. Even a country like Italy couldn't manage for the last two World Cups. Look at Turkey for example a massive country with a big appetite for football but haven't played in a WC since 2002 and only played in 2 in their entire history.

• Advertisement

Wales have a world class player who carries them we dont even have a premier league quality player!

Denmark are full of top quality players playing in the top leagues around Europe, we are way off them

Drifting between level B and C is Irelands current level

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭Gusser09

it would seriously depend on who the manager is. I couldn't see Kenny being successful even in that group.

Yeah good points being made. I feel a lot of success in international football is cyclical and the top teams at any given point always seem to happen to have a golden generation coming through at the same time. Think Holland/Ajax in the 90's. Spain 10 years ago. Belgium 5 years ago. France/England currently.

If we managed to get 2 world class players coming through it would probably enough to get us into a tournament. At least our goalkeeping situation is solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Republic of Ireland is a small country of 4 million people with a lot of different sports .

In many parts of Ireland ( particulary outside Dublin ) playing Hurling or Football with your county is a lot more achievable than been good enough to make a decent career in soccer. If Niall Quinn or Kevin Moran were 18 again chances are they would struggle to break into English premiership squads with all the nationalities that are there now.

Of the top 15-17 year old sports players across the country how many of them have chosen soccer as opposed to GAA or Rugby. I see the local Kennedy cup team asking young lads to trails but they turn it down because their on some county gaa squad , then you go picking lesser players who might be committed but arent the best locally and weakens the overall underage soccer gene pool.

In my area at home id say of what one would call the top ten youngsters (14-17) soprts wise in our parish in Munster who would have played all sports growing up , 6 probably focus on GAA, 2 on Rugby & 2 on soccer . In Scotland 7 or 8 of these 10 would choose soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,384 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, most likely, once there's progress. Which I think there has been if not in results. I also view his record based upon how disrupted things were during Covid for the squad specifically.

Talk of emulating Wales or Denmark - we have squad on par with neither, never mind some of the genuine world class players they have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

That's kind of the point I was making. We are at an immediate disadvantage soccer wise compared to a lot of countries.........

It's just reality....

Imagine if previous managers got their fingers out and tied Rice and Grealish down, we would be a different proposition

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

But there has been no progress, on the contrary, we are now easily beaten, pose no threat going forward, struggle with passing the ball sideways, and have the most uninspirational manager in world football. None of this has anything to do with covid.

Yet, you say all this is fine, but if we start hoofing the ball forward and eeking out a few results whilst punching above our weight, then you will not renew your ticket???

I'm really struggling to put myself in the shoes of anyone who has such a view, maybe this is down to the insta generation, where all that matters is that it looks good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Scotland have some decent players, Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor etc and they're not playing tippy tappy football. They have Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am not in the sack Kenny corner as no manager can do better with the players on hand. Using the next 2 years as a training plan and trying new formations and players is the best option, as we stand, we are just not the finished articular to quote from a one-time biggy club manager. When our defenders are our best chance of scoring goals things are just too odd. Almost every set pace and dead ball were sent to Duffy in the last 15 minutes... say it all about our team's confidence.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Football is cyclical ok. Look at Iceland a few years ago, they were the envy of every small country. Now their results have collapsed finishing fifth in their last world cup group, just above Leichtenstein. In the group they lost away to Armenia and North Macedonia, drawing at home with both. This year they've had home draws with Uganda and Albania as well as losing 5-1 at home to South Korea. No doubt they're having the same discussion over there.

Its a pity with our last two results as there was a real feel good factor at the end of the season with the games against Portugal and Belgium and the away wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

A few nonsense points made over the last few pages, irrelevant to a large degree but niggling at me.

One calling Trap a one trick pony, he's probably in the top 5 managers the world has ever seen, he just knew what cards he was dealt and applied the appropriate measures.

Second, Norwegians aren't as obsessed with the PL as us, this is completely and utterly wrong. I'd say they're more obsessed with it but manage to actually have created dual league interest. Ask a Norwegian who they support and they answer Rosenberg & Liverpool.

For my tuppence worth to the thread, if Kenny is as good at development as a lot of people claim then why not make him the architect of underage football from u21's all the way down to u7's. Make him a godfather of sorts that directs and instructs from on high of how we should develop and guide underage coaching etc even if the financial resources aren't great it would be a better use of whatever funds are available and maybe just maybe we see the fruits of this in 15 or 20 years time

An international manager he is certainly not and we'd be better off fumbling around next ten years at senior level in the hope the underage development plan is in place. We've had a load of spoofers like Ruud Doktor hidden behind the scenes not achieving very much. Get Kenny in this role and dictate the programme, no interference from anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

Yeah Norway wasn't the best shout....my main point was however that we would be a lot better with a larger player pool to choose from and less fragmentation going on in terms of players opting for other sports etc

If you look at most teams that are consistently there or thereabouts there are common features imo

Not necessarily in order of importance

1. Large populations so large pool to choose from

2. Soccer is the main sport and commands the most media attention and focus

3. Decent internal league and/or proximity to good external league so players get more regularly scouted seen.....and standard of coaching is on the better side

4. Poverty among the demographics that play the game........there are many more successful players coming from dirt poor backgrounds than there are ones coming from privileged ones imo.....nothing like the focus and motivation that comes from having your back to the wall and it's do or die.......until of course you get the big bucks and don't know how to handle it or the hangers on mess you up.

There are exceptions to this but they are not in the majority and they can be linked to a "golden generation" type scenario or a key player or two coming through and a team being built around them.

If there was no GAA (which isn't and won't be the case) and soccer filled that void...I wouldn't have any difficulty believing we would have a fairly consistently good team...

We sort of did have a consistently good team from late 80s (perhaps before with likes of giles/brady) up to not that long ago .... due in large part imo to

3. Proximity to a good external league

And

4. Poverty ....causing lots of people to leave the island ....set up shop in the country that external league was based and create a pool of players who qualified to play and due to numbers of English players playing at a high level viewed Ireland as a viable option for international football and maybe even potentially furthering their careers.

That's changed now.....we are still beside that league but competition for places at top clubs has intensified die to influx of money and in turn more foreign players and I think that has led to their being a smaller pool of English players at a higher level ....they have a smaller pool to chose from imo so there are less and less decent English born but qualified under granny rule footballers on the margins of English team that would see Ireland as a viable and possibly only option......more of those kinds of players see England as a team they have a shot at playing for (with all the extra opportunity that brings) .......that leaves us with a smaller pool of definite irish qualified and maybe initially unfancied late bloomers that we cap before the English FA get around to.

We are also...even though it doesn't feel like it at times a much more prosperous country than we were in 70s 80s.......that can all change but for the last 20 years a lad had more options to live a comfortable life

Soccer in this country has limited options if it wants to kick on (excuse the pun)

1) hope for a golden generation type scenario

2) hope something changes that means English Premier league once again has a large population of English players at top clubs with an Irish grandparent (although time is somewhat ticking on that one without 3 below)

3) massive decline in prosperity resulting in poverty and desperation and favellas in dalkey with little Giles, Bradys and Romarios running around using politicians and investment fund managers skulls as balls playing "Street football" amongst the uncollected litter

4) hope the player pool broadens due to inwards migration of other nationalities

5) accept that without some fortuitous events its going to be a slog snd actually start working on a long term plan to improve youth structure, improve league, spot and target talent and shop them around the different leagues...maybe help with education so there is a safety net for those that inevitably won't make it....a scholarship type structure........

Maybe take a leaf from other countries that have put solid foundations in place....maybe look internally at IRFU strategy....yes Ireland are chokers at major tournaments in Rugby but there's no denying the success of provincial structure etc....perhaps some elements can be copied to some extent.

I'm not in the sack Kenny corner either. You have to let him finish this tournament anyways but I wouldn't have extended his contract.

Kenny has had 24 games now.

And one thing people seem to forget is, Kenny was announced as U-21 manager in 2018 with him taking over in 2020. So he's really had 4 years to work towards something. Alot of these players are under the stewardship of Kenny for 4 years now and he still isn't getting a tune out of them. Adam Idah, Troy Parrott, Jason Knight, Molumby, O'Shea, Collins, Obafemi, Bazunu.

Kenny needs to do another interview like this, only change "I'm used to winnin" to "I'm used to losin".

He said last year he was going to build a very good squad in the next couple of years so time is running out for him to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

posted comment in wrong thread

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

We would be knocking on the door for world cup qualification if we had those two.

That is a brilliant suggestion. Kenny could be the link between the grassroots and the national time. Try and install the right footballing culture at youth level, guide the careers of our prospects overseas. Try and help them to come through at senior level. I wonder if the FAI really do much to help someone struggling who has been released by a club or what not. Thinking of the way the rugby provinces groom their young players and give them every chance of succeeding at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The nonsense of building for the future is just that nonsense,

Maybe with Nations like England,France ,Germany can treat it like club football but International football for lower nations is about results right now, we have no control of our players as they all go to play in different countries, So you must make the most of what you have right here & now to get results,

Who cares about style of play ,you have to be pragmatic and use players in the best possible way to get results

Look at 2 years ago there was great hope for Parrot, Idah, Connolly ,Obafemi but all have taking backwards steps in development ,As Ireland manger its useless planning long term , play the best side in the here and now & with the style that give s you the biggest chance of a result ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

"As Ireland manger its useless planning long term , play the best side in the here and now & with the style that give s you the biggest chance of a result ",

Thats the question, what is our best style?, lumping it up to the big man while keeping as many men back as possible and hope for set pieces?

Or trying to play football like most modern teams do?

Mix it up a little.

But one thing you gotta do is take take maximum points against Armenia, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. That has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Such is the exclusive nature of thee “Nations league” I’m actually choosing to watch the glamour tie of the night, surprisingly, which doesn’t leave much room for the minnows.

Nor Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Kenny has had the worst crop of players, Trap, 0' Neil, McCarthy never had to pick league 1 players.

What league one players start for us? this was the team last night

Kelleher PL

Duffy PL

Egan Champ

Collins PL

Hendrick PL / Champ this season

Knight Champ

Cullen Belgian PL

Stevens Champ

Christie Champ

Robinson Champ

Ogbene L1 - He didnt have to start him. Could easily have gone with Obafemi

Other players that are available to him when not injured and not playing in League 1

Coleman PL

Doherty PL

Travers Champ

Manning Champ

Obafemi Champ

Connolly Champ / PL

McGuinness Champ

Bagan Champ

Dunne Champ

Ebolese Champ

Lenihan Champ

Hogan Champ

Hourihane Champ

Idah PL/Champ

Browne Champ

Molumby Champ

o'Shea Champ

Omabamdiele Champ

Mcnamara Champ

I'm probably missing more but the League One comment is way off. The Championship isn't that bad a standard to be honest. Probably in the top5/6 leagues in Europe in terms of quality actually. He should be getting 6 points from Luxembourg, Armenia and Azerbaijan with what's available to him.

• Advertisement

This genius level of thinking is the reason why we are here today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement