Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

There is precisely 0 chance that human ingenuity will beat a 10 year return. If they solved fusion tomorrow, it will be 20 years before sufficient plants are built to meet current demand, never mind future. If the government said tomorrow they are going to cover the midlands with solar, would be 10 years before a sod is turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

All true - but I think the main takeaway here for people is "don't pay anyprice for solar". Hell, it's even the topic of the thread! :-)

There's good value out there and if historical evidence is anything to go by, energy prices will (most likely) rise, which will shorten your break even timeline as well as generating a "feel good" that your doing your bit for the environment. Work out your payback with today's prices is what I'd do though.

Typically if you shop around, go with one of the trusted installers who've time and time again delivered decent value, quality workmanship in a reasonable timeline, you'll do alright. 10 years is about the normal break even. Some people like myself will do it in 7-8 years, others normally with smaller consumption may take 11-12 or even a little more. After that....your quids in and the system owes you nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Quote:

3.28wk system

8 panels x Jinko 410w Tiger All Black N-Type

Solis Hybrid Inverter x1 c/w Home Energy monitoring App

Marlec Solar iboost

7k after grant

BER included

Thoughts?

Would it be too small 3.28wk to even bother fitting panels?

Post edited by Galego on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fit more if you can, but that's way too expensive for a 3.28kWp with no battery.

That's as many panels as I can fit in my roof unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

11 JA panels 370w = 4kw system

1 Solis 5 kw hybrid inverter

Dyness 5kw battery

Eddi

€8,800k after grant. Thoughts?

We've an electric car which I didn't mention to them when getting the quote so I'm thinking we'd be better off with more panels if possible than the battery. Budget won't stretch much further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

In reality, charging your car from solar only saves 10c or so per kW, since you can charge the car on night rate.

So I wouldn't install extra panels for car charging, I don't believe it stacks up financially.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Its a tough one, You also have to take into account the cost of upgrading your charge point if you have a dumb one to use the extra solar.

But you will see the benefit of the extra panels on the less than good days, where its overcast etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do you already have an EVSE? If not, see what installer will charge to install a Zappi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

We have an eo mini pro 2, which can be upgraded to solar capable for little money, I believe only a clamp needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

At the risk for speaking for Maulbrook, the "no" above is in relation to the price. That price for 3.28Kwp is......excessive. Should be no more than €5k (max) after grant also 3.28Kwp in panels can be worthwhile. A lot of it is down to what your consumption is.

Also I'd be interested in knowing why you think that 8 panels is all you can fit. Obviously I've not seen your house, but don't rely on the comments/thoughts of 1x installer. Have you measured the roof? Do you have multiple aspects (east facing/west facing) etc. do you have a shed/garage. It could well be that 8 panels *is* all you can fit, but at the same time.....that comment maybe something that "suited" that specific installer if the number came from them, so take it with a pinch of salt if it came from a supplier.

My second quote today.

Are prices going just ridiculously expensive?

2.4kwh system

6 x 400w Hyndai Panels

5k Hyndai Battery Ready Inverter.

Mi Eddi Hot Water Diverter

BER included and all paperwork included

Total (after grant): 6.6k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

Im in this process at the moment. Heat pump and install (usually two different companies) for me is coming in around 11k. Underfloor heating is seperate.

The heat pump may be eligable for a grant, mine is semi-d so i SHOULD get back 6500. In order to qualify for grant, youve to get an assessment to see what you need to do basically to make your house suitable for the heat pump. Once works are complete, assessors come back out and do some more tests and make sure your heat loss indicator is 2 or under. If it is, you will qualify for the grant rebate. If you dont get 2 or under, ive no idea if you can go again and get assessed, but then if you complete works that the assessor has suggested I dont see why you would not if you get me.

So the assessment is costing me i think its about 800 all in, i get 200 back from the seai also, so really the grant is worth to me under 6k if you get me.

Thanks. I need to expand a bit more from time to time.

That setup borders on being pointless and over 6k

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spiceboy

Hi all,

Just after doing shop around and all the quotes i got are way too high than the ones mentioned here even lately.

How do find these cheaper installers that you all get quotes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spiceboy

I also have two questions

1. Eddi - why is it required if you are heating from immersion which would be taking power from solar if installed

2. Battery capacity - one provider said smaller battery is better for more life as in ireland, we may not be using all cells all the time in the cycles and reduce the battery life. What you think

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You'd be surprised how many panels you could fit...

When I was going through quotes, some didn't even quote me saying I'd only fit 2 panels and it wasn't worth it. The median range quotes were saying 6-8 panels if I was lucky.... eventually went with an installer who quoted me 14 panels (which I thought was extremely optimistic), but the sales guy said they'd bring extra panels on the day in case they could fit them (my remit was "put up as many as you can get up there").

In the end they were able to install 17 panels giving me a total of 5.78kWp... 5kWh battery & Eddi (for €8,800 after grant - October 2021)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1. The Eddi is what tells the Immersion to turn on/off based on how much excess you are generating/exporting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

There is a thread pinned at the top of the forum with a list of installers that the folk here have used.

I am getting mad prices even from those installers named in this forum.

I dont know whether or not the increases are justified but I am being put off fitting panels at those prices which I have been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

What about Air 2 Water? Do you need an Eddi then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Defending on the brand of heatpump you may be able to use the excess solar to turn the HP on and off. So more efficient than an Eddi but people who have done this seem to have mixed results with how well it works

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Might be better to just have an Eddi connected to the immersion rod on the water cylinder. That would likely just stop the HP kicking in at all

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Hi.

2 person household. Currently use c. 2500kwh per year but consider also putting in a heat pump, hence looked for two options

5 x Hyundai 400w

eddi

ber

6000euros

as above but 10 Hyundai 400w panels. 8000 euros

5kw battery would be 5000 euro additional.

This is the first quote I’ve gotten. Is it a bit high? Any ideas of what would be realistic please?

Figures above are after grant

That...... could be a new record there.....as in the most over priced system quote we've seen. Congrads, your a winner :-)

With 2500Kwhr a year, you'd probably be well suited with a 4.0Kwp system with a small 2.5kwhr battery. Should be about ~€6-7K (after grant)

I would however future proof yourself and go for something a little bigger. You'll probably have an EV like everyone when the government ban internal combustion engines in 2030 (I know it's a few years off, but you might have one sooner?) and go for a 5.0Kwp system with 5Kwhr battery. Ballpark €8-9K after grant.

But yeah, the 4.0Kwp and small battery would see you right currently if your using 2500Kwhr.

Aside: You sure it's only 2500kwh, average household in Ireland is about 4200Kwh?

• Advertisement

LOL. Thanks bullit dodger. Was wondering if I’d ever manage to break even. 2500 kw is right but will be retiring in next few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement