Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, personally experienced all of the above! Having gone to a lot of home games recently, and Marseille I couldn't win the battle to keep Saturday last clear for another entire rugby day, despite my extensive efforts . Can't wait for Friday tho

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'm getting ads for tomorrow's match, so assuming sales aren't great.

To be honest a 12 try rout in the quarter final of a competition is an awful sign of the quality of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The Irish sure know how to snatch misery from the jaws of anything remotely positive.

A world class team, wounded by an upset loss, bounced back and ruthlessly dismantled an opponent who later sacked their coach. Maintaining an intensity until the final minute in a manner you'd associate with the All Blacks.

But no, it's a sign of the awful quality of the competition. Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s really just a sign of how poor Glasgow were at the point in time. They had been pretty decent most of the season. But they fell off a cliff in the last 3 months losing 7 of their last 10 games across all competitions.

They got to the playoffs because they had been pretty good before then, but 6 of their 8 losses in the league came in the last 3 months. They ended on the same number of wins and losses as Ospreys but with 4 more BPs. In the last 3 months they managed 3 BPs and 11 points in total. Ospreys managed 20 points in that time. So their form pre-March was what got them into the play-offs. Their form since March is what got them the draw vs Leinster and ultimately the hiding they ended up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,624 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I may have missed this but Lowe and Keenan both injured or wha?

Has Joe McCarthy taken over as first choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, Lowe got a shin injury against Toulouse, Keenan has had a broken hand for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Harsh on Frawley

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Starting to get a bit nervous about this game. Especially as we're missing two of our usual starting back 3. Lowe and Keenan give so much assurance in their fielding of the ball. A season ago it was an area of weakness, but JOB/Lowe/Keenan are an excellent unit under the high ball.

The Bulls are a Jake White side who'll play high pressure, collision heavy, territory based rugby. They'll probably kick the leather off the ball to put pressure on Larmour and ROL. Not sure they'll be able to cope as well as the players who are missing would.

• Advertisement

i cant wait for them to kick down larmours throat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a good enough opportunity for RB. He is facing a physical team and he has got to play well. Missing the lads we are is tough but, JOB is a fine replacement for Keenan. I think fb is his best position.

McCarthy gets in for physical presence I assume. The Bulls will be keen to get stuck in and bring the physicality! This match will be a much tougher outing than last week.

If we perform well, we have nothing to worry about. We're a better team than the Bulls. If we impose our game on them, not vice versa, we'll win handily. If we play as poorly as we did in the final, it could get hairy.

An other big game from McCarthy will put him on the plane to NZ. And JOB has a massive chance with Lowry ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Are you trying to say that the Bulls are the same caliber as La Rochelle. Or do you just like to conveniently ignore reality to suit your negative viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would say that the Bulls are a good side! Capable of winning on their day. Leinster should win. I think it will be a close match.

If its a calm dry day, Leinster will win it by about 20 points.

I dont think its going to be though, so im saying Leinster by about 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Watch what McCarthy does for the maul tries in the highlights of the Munster and Glasgow games. He's so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There were some signs that the Bulls could cause Leinster problems in the 31-3 game earlier in the season. Their individual carriers are so powerful. If they're switched on and don't fumble the ball much they can make headway. And Leinster don't compete on the deck much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

RB the glaring weak link in team for me . Would love to see Frawley there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Because poor players are selected in the URC team of the season, earn 120+ caps for Leinster, and score 800+ points in their career?

I don't see the argument myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

I think the argument is that as good as he is mid season, he's often not great when the heat is on, as was evident the other week.

Ross is a steady hand but not exactly lightning quick and pretty predicable. Frawley however, is never shy a break, kicks well from hand or can pass it on if needs be. He's a player that keeps defenses guessing. You don't get that variety from RB, and if the forwards aren't punching holes for him he often gets found out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Oooh, a shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wherenow for Ruddock and Deegan? Hardly positive signs if Baird is being picked ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Deegan was looking back to his best. He was the form Irish 8 in the URC. He should be pushing for selection for the Irish squad but can't see it happening now as he isn't getting a look in at the business end. He must be thinking of moving, too talented to not be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Keenan pictured training in captains run which is surprising

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Deegan has no chance of pushing for Irish selection with his current status in the Leinster squad.

He's never going to get picked off the back of a some decent league appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You did!

Totally misread your post first time. 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Obvious weak points are Larmour and O Loughlin on Friday. Larmour will hopefully rip the Bulls a new one on the counter but there is the question marks over contestables in the air. I would imagine the Bulls will try and apply the La Rochelle game plan but I don’t see that being effective against us at home. I don’t see why RB is starting over Johnny but if the game is close Sexton can come on and lift the performance levels. We’ve a monster front row to lay a platform and I believe this will be the difference. If the Bulls can’t bully us up front they will flake off.

Advertisement