Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

At least if Roy Keane got it he'd call out the LOI BS in a heartbeat and wouldn't look to placate them with a token player in squads.

The more I see of Stephen the less convincing and more pout of his depth he appears. Just what went on yesterday was appalling on most levels.

1. Kelleher - I know the lads has got talent and he's not the reason why Kennys record is so dire. But with our 1st choice out injured you surely pick the next most inform keeper who is playing regularly at a high level. You certainly don't pick a goalie in a critical game that played 4 times this year? That was a management error and it cost us dearly last night.
    2. Egan gets injured with 20-25 mins remaining. Instead of keeping just the two cb's Kenny throws on O'Shea. We are losing 1 nil. He keeps that systems and formation until the last 5 mins when Duffy heads up top. Again another head scratching decision.
    3. Hendrick should have been replaced. Very little need for himself and Cullen in the same team.
    4. Our system isn't working. The wingbacks especially Christie aren't very good. Now I can understand if it were 2/3 year ago and Stevens/Doherty were the wingbacks but that's not the case anymore.
    5. If you can't score goal you at least start your most in form striker at the highest level and that's Obafemi.
    6. Alan Browne on at RWB??

And then the interview before and after. There are no words. Incoherent. No message. "Sorry what was the question again".

I don't know if anyone will come in and do better but I do think they will come in and ensure that we are in groups until the end. A win against the minnows in the group home and away are a must.

I mean it's clear as day this has failed. Don't get me wrong there have been green shoots a few times but things are going backwards now again at an alarming speed. It's going to get toxic in the dressing room too. Worrying times if this is left in place until 2024.

There are reason to be optimistic though. We just can't let this continue.

I do think we have reason to be somewhat optimistic. Kenny needs to exit though.

Bazunu - Could be world class or even a PL regular for a long time.

Collins - Makings of a top central defender. No doubt if he were English one of the top 6 would spend 40-50 million on him.

Knight - the lad is capable of making the step up. He has potential to be a good player.

Obafemi - Look the lad scored in championship regularly for a bit. If he could score there consistently going forward we'd take that.

Omabamdele - lots of potential

Ebolese - exciting too.

Cullen - hes good lads.

Doherty - should be a big player for us over next 18 months or so

Are we really suggesting we shouldnt be beating lux.armenia,azerbaijan?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

For a start Ukraine are the best team in the group and were relegated from league A. Their 2nd team are technically better than our starting team as proven last night. Scotland have players playing in the top 6/7 clubs in the premier league and playing regularly. Of course they are better than us.

This is where the reality check is needed by some fans. The lack of investment over the last 20 years is coming home to roost. We are currently playing teams of our level and getting beat. All be it by 1 goal and never hammered but we are getting beat. This is where we are, no matter who the manager is I wouldnt see us doing much better.

In saying that I think Kenny is making mistakes and his in game management is a bigger worry than anything else for me. But the players also need to step up. Many have been quite poor, i would be saying 60% blame is on the manager and the rest of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well I don’t think looking at the overall WDL stats tells the full story, because it ignores any improvement in the play or results in the team. Kenny had a horrible start but he was bringing players through and had an abnormal amount of COVID absentees compared to other nations at the beginning. The second half of the WC campaign had shown some improvement, team was scoring more goals and up to Armenia we had 1 loss in 9, and that was to a last minute Ronaldo header.

The last 2 games(Armenia specifically) have been disappointing but it’s weird to be dismissive of Scotland and Ukraine, ultimately they are more talented teams with players playing regularly at higher levels than Ireland, winning against either shouldn’t be considered a given.

I said at the end of the last campaign that I had seen enough improvement to be happy to have Kenny in charge for 2024 and a couple of bad results haven’t changed that. Should he fail to qualify for 2024 he will go and nobody can have any complaints.

Hang on fella. Kelleher did hoof it. Ogbene got a flick on with the head. It was long ball stuff. We didn't retain possession from that at all. Stats apart from the results don't tell the full story. Kelleher was the main man at fault for the goal. The in rushing players and defenders weren't on top of him and he should have been reading the situation better. I don't necessarily blame him though. That's match sharpness.

I think Kelleher will be a fine goalie but he wasn't and isn't the best option to be starting when not playing football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hearts

Hearts Bruge Forest

Celtic Villa Celtic Liverpool

Southampton Southampton Bournemouth

That's what beat Armenia last night. 1 player from top 10 Prem clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Kelleher is too meek to ever make it at the very top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Kennys contract was renewed because the FAI agreed to wait until the end of the last campaign to decide if he should continue, which they did.

Getting rid of him now in no way guarantees anything. Why should the FAI sanction spending more money paying Kenny off and getting someone else in if they can’t guarantee a return? The other manager then will have the excuse that he took over Kennys team and needs a full campaign on his own.

If they FAI decide they want rid I hope they’re not as knee jerk as the posters on here, let him have the campaign while beginning to compile a list of candidates to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

When things started to improve under Kenny after Anthony Barry came in, can we now say that was down to Barry not Kenny?

Its like 352/343 worked for a while and he cant shift away from it now.

Obafemi should have came on for Egan when he was injured and went 4 at the back, brought Knight into Midfield with Robinson going out the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Sack Kenny, pay him and back up team off, get An other Manager in, and back up team, which will cost a lot more than current one. Get back to total disconnect between senior squad and everything below it. Hope and fingers crossed that we get some players coming through, continue with the part time league we have have.... sure it worked before..remember.

We need a" reset " a blueprint of at least a 10 year plan to try and set up football properly.

I'm not saying Kenny is not making mistakes and is the answer, the problem is much bigger than just changing the Manager. No quick fixes here .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Stop with the it's Ukraine and their good rubbish. It was their second sting and 8 of their starting 11 and 2 of the 5 subs play their football in Ukraine so haven't played a competitive game since the Ukrainian PL went on it's winter break in December. The rest play for such amazing clubs as Slavia Prague, Ferencvaros, Bordeaux, Everton and Hansa Rostok.

That Irish team should not have lost at home against that Ukraine line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, I think a reality check is required the other way - through the 2020 campaign, we were competitive against sides at this level. Actually getting results. Yeah people didn't like the style and we fell a game short in 2018 and 2020, but we were right there.

I think there is an almost puritanical component to the Kenny support on here: 'you stupid national team fans who don't go to LOI games deserve a run of results like this'. Allied to a sense that Kenny's intent to try and play a better brand of football is a morally "correct" approach.

But ye will not win on this point. People like me who **** go to these games and have done most of our lives will not stomach an artificial lowering of standards back to the Liam Tuohy era. Nor should we. The media have been absurdly patient with him. The fans roared on the team and cheered them off after scaldy draws against Serbia and Portugal. We are not asking too much.

He needs to get some **** results. And you all know it.

Again, the miserable state of the domestic game and youth pipeline needs to be addressed. Nobody is arguing otherwise. However, it is not within the remit of Stephen Kenny's role to spend time changing or fixing such things. His role and performance are fully decoupled from the structural problems in our domestic game.

Let's hope he makes some obvious adjustments to the approach; manages more proactively in-game, and the players pull it together on Saturday. We could really use a win. And Scotland is beatable at home. If you don't believe that I don't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Midfielders maybe better but not the forwards. They played Dykes and Che Adams up top v Ukraine in the World Cup qualifier, they're not better than what we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

And if Roy Keane is somehow at the top of that list you might as well call up Mick and ask him get the band back together and come in for a third stint. It's as if people have forgotten about 2018 and the end of the MONROY reign, but don't mind if we go back to that way as long as Kenny gets the bullet. Jeez bring back Martin O'Neill before even entertaining the idea of Roy Keane, at least he was the brains of the operation, and probably kept Keane in check for as long as he could.

It's time alright that the FAI do dust off that book of possible candidates because they'll probably need it within the next 12 months at the most if not the next two weeks. Even the most hardened Kenny supporters are talking about how things might have to change. Because if the lad who created the Kenny's Kids page is questioning things then you know the end is nearly in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Don't think so. He's nothing special from what I've seen of him.

Obafemi came on last night and looked good, much better than against Armenia. If we can get some consistency out of him with a run in the team he could be a positive in that area. Robinson seems to have lost his form. End of season, you get some patchy form from players.

Yeah there's no way you can sugar coat last night's defeat. Could try and say this or that but the simple fact is most that Ukrainian team haven't played competitively as you said but yet it looked like we were the team that hadn't played competitively instead.

• Advertisement

He might think it ain't worth the hassle. Look at post 9138 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

And 4 out of those 5 clubs are still way better than the championship and league one teams that Irish players come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Newstalk commenting like we have just come off winning a world cup.

I'm talking about the strikers in particular. You initially said; "i'd kill for scotlands midfield/forwards. all better than ours." The forwards in particular, there isn't a huge gulf in class. Don't get hung up on Adams being an EPL regular. What i have seen of him in actual games I have watched I wouldn't "kill" to get him in our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kenny is being set up to fail by his biggest supporters.

There is still a belief out there that he can make a silk purse out of sows ear. That all we need to do is play young players, develop them, and we can expect them to be able to challenge for qualification to major tournaments.

Other than Bazunu (who's had 2 very good years at club level anyway), we've not really seen any evidence that giving young players international games has helped their careers.

Anyone calling for Kenny to be sacked after defeat to Ukraine is delusional. They were simply the better team unfortunately. What you can attack Kenny on were the performances against teams like Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Luxembourg. We were far too defensive, our build up play was too slow, players lacked the technical ability to find space against teams that parked the bus.

What's really worrying is that Kenny himself said in the post-match interview was that more patient build-up was needed. That demonstrates a worrying lack of tactical understanding of where this team is at.

I don't think people have forgotten the end of the MONROY reign, some of them seem to have forgotten the success in the Euro 16 qualifiers and good showing at the Euro's in France though.

• Advertisement

It's Che Adams though. Yes better than what we have but not off the charts.

Obviously overall Scotland are better than us with Tierney, Robertson and McGinn particularly. Apart from that it's probably marginal enough.

Anyway not that it matters. They will be the best team we will have played and with the results versus Armenia and Ukraine 2 it's hard to see a good outcome.

There are no excuses for Kenny's bad run and losing to some of the teams we have been bet by. Most on here have given him the benefit of the doubt but it's too much to take that we are out of yet another group after the first game really. Any manager will tell you that in tight groups taking 6 points from the poorer team is a must. This is two groups in a row now Kenny has failed in that.

Look at the last group. 12 points available against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. We took 7 points. That can't happen.

Thats the other weird thing of the Kenny era is how disjointed the players all seem to be. It's like its the first time they have ever been on a pitch together.

No doubt there's a drop at times when it comes to games in June but Ukraine had it worse than us with lads not playing games really. I think you often only had the one competitive game, we played Austria away in 2017 and not sure if we played competitive games in June 2019 but I know we had a training camp as the lads were in Portugal training.

Maybe lads are thinking meh it's a bunch of friendlies but Kenny talked up this camp about treating it as a tournament with the games in close proximity. If players aren't upping their games then it's unfortunately his head on the chopping block for mismanaging this series of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can't see any adjustments. I think Kenny is firmly committed to his philosophy of slow, build-up from the back. This is the way he set out the team in his first game, right up until the game last night. I had thought that maybe he had learned some lessons in previous games, notably Portugal where we were more pragmatic. Unfortunately we went right back to our bad old ways of almost exclusively trying to play out from the back last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That was dreadful last night. Even as a man who would like see Kenny do well and like what he is trying to do I can't defend that.

Knight the only bright light in a dismal team performance

• Advertisement

I think you're probably right too. But this is going to finish him, in the end.

We looked better last night when we went more direct. We'll always have willingness and athleticism in abundance. He really needs to start trying to meet his squad more where they are than where he would like them to be. This stuff is impossible to defend.

He even had the stupidity to criticise the team for stopping the "patient build up" and actually going direct to try and score.

There is no disagreeing with most of that.

As an Ireland fan it's always been about competing. Making sure we beat the weaker teams and you always felt we had a chance to upset someone at the Aviva in the second last or last game to get to a playoff. That feeling is gone now under Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Nice that you have mentioned clubs that regularly play in european competitions. Your kinda making my argument for me. Im sure MK dons and Wigan and other such great league 1 clubs that our lads play for would walk into those club teams....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

if a lad running a social media is questioning things it should mean precisely jack ****

we’re not man united fans.

the alternatives to Kenny need work for me to think paying off Kenny is much other than short termism.

kennys record is bad, but let’s know where we are going and have confidence in it

Player for player they're stronger than us unfortunately. They got to the World cup play offs, they qualified for the last Euros although prior to that they went 22 years not qualifying for a major tournament. I didn't see their game last night but they were worse against Ukraine than we were. It was the Ukraine first selection but I'm talking about their performance.

Kenny desperately needs a good result on Saturday but he's up against it. It's the results against lower ranked sides like Armenia and the slow ineffectual performances against teams of that caliber that is where his problems are starting from. You need to win games against lower ranked sides and then try to build from there. Kenny didn't get off first base in this campaign as yet.

Scotland’s team is worth just under 3 times irelands on transfermarkt

Thank you Citizen. A point I have been making for a while.

When it comes to groups we just have to be beating the poorer teams home and away. It gives us a little breathing space and you always feel we might have a performance in us in the Aviva to beat one of the better sides. In other words we have nearly always been alive in groups until the penultimate stage. Once you lose to a Luxembourg or Armenia in your first game or two and you don't have the quality to take points away from home against a higher ranked team your goose is cooked.

It's not the results against the Serbia or Ukraine that are abject failure. It's the critical games against the poorer teams in competitive matches that you will be judged on.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd like a change to a 4-3-3 if possible. The 3-5-2 is okay but it's not making the most of that formation, and exposing the problems with it (gaps in defence, vulnerable to a counter) and really requires a lot of training ground drills to get right.

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Advertisement

He went to 3-5-2 to mainly accommodate Coleman and Doherty in the team. Actually it's a 3-4-3 that he has been playing. Doherty isn't available and Coleman wasn't available last night either, so his formation should be created to suit the players he has available to him. The 3-5-2 means you're short in midfield. He should change if for the Scotland game.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Scotland's first 11 aren't a fair bit ahead of us are codding themselves. The fact they are a bit ahead of us is why this is so dire for Kenny now. A trimming on the weekend will just exasperate things further. I don't think he comprehends the importance of taking points off the weaker teams in groups.

Who gives a ****? What is this NONSENSE. It’s Scotland ffs. Are they slightly better than us? Maybe?! But does that mean we can’t beat them at home? Come on now.

The desperation to absolve Kenny of any responsibility to win a football match is so utterly joyless. Scotland at home will always be a winnable game. Ffs

data analysis…AAAAAGGGGHHHH…it’ll kill us all

im not absolving Kenny, just giving the comparison. Armenia’s squad is 4 times cheaper than Ireland’s

And they beat us, so that means we'll beat Scotland now. LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Well said , you summed up the whole mess there.

No it shouldn’t be used this way. It should be only be used to say which squad has the highest level of value on the transfer market. We are poor, Armenia are terrible and Scotland are above average in UEFA nations

Well I was kind of joking mate hence the LOL, but from what I saw of Scotland in their game v Ukraine I'd make them bang average at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Exactly stay in games and keep the other teams honest. Have some weapon/threat (set pieces) be awkward to break down, Closing down helps.

To me that is the most disappointing things about Kenny’s teams they have forgotten to close players down at all really. Any any fella with a decent strike on him is given free shots on goal.

Whatever about the style of play done poorly/which means Ireland are no threat (slow side to side and backwards) surely closing your man down is a basic? It fecking annoys me anyway.

And the bit that makes me laugh -when Ireland are in their now customary position of chasing a game what happens?

Last -10/15 minutes they go more direct in a panic and look more threatening. But what did yer man Kenny say post match? ‘We went too direct!’

Can someone explain that to me????!!!

I remember early on in Kenny’s reign a poster on here compared it too a fella on paid work experience from TY. Harsh I thought. Kenny is a nice fella needs time after COVID over.

But it had feck all to do with COVID and empty stadiums. The problem is not Delaney or even the players.

Kenny can’t ‘manage’ a team and adapt a style accordingly to the players he has and the opposition. That is the truth of it. He is more deluded than some of his steadfast apologists on here. In dreamland about his philosophy.

But no structure, no threat, no work rate, no closing down and now no hopers!

A good manager is supposed to build a team, make them better. But to me now Kenny is a cowboy builder on 550k. And someone else will have to fix the mess he has left.

Another thing he should do a media course and learn to give interviews when he is paid off. Trap was a better communicator than him ffs!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Touhy had a 30% win record. Kenny could have another decade in the job and he wouldn’t reach that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement