Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Meh. It was OK.

Some things were good (Kenobi slowly getting his mojo back as he was getting better at deflecting the laser bolts. The girl playing Leia is still great). Some, not so much. I didn't have a problem with the stormtroopers not seeing him behind the pillars (Although,I must admit, I didn't notice him hopping behind the piller so blatently like that). Or even the drones not really seeing him. It's a clichè that they were always a bit crap (If I see one more joke/video along the lines of "Hey, did you ever notice that Stormtroopers are crap shots?"....). So I kind of let that go.... to a degree. Walking with the cover around Leia was just simply daft and not good. As someone said above, the sorta-snowspeeders coming barrelling in. Cut to angle from behind them and it was like they were on icepop sticks infront of a screen...

There is still something off about Vader's movements. Again, as I said before, maybe it's simply because he is younger (And played by a younger actor). But he seems more... I don't know. Un-Vader-like. Too dynamic maybe? Used to seeing him just slowly walking around. I know. I know, he SHOULD be dynamic. He is a Jedi. Well, Jedi-training (albeit one in bits). But just looks a bit weird to my eyes. Also, is it James Earl Jones doing the voice or some AI overdub? It also seems juuuuuust a touch off. Those points may simply be down to me.

I did find my interest waning (Hence missing him hopping behind the pillars like that) which says it all really. I mean it was fine but I thought it was the weakest so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I really enjoyed it again.

I'm happy to just go along with the series rather look for flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Guys, Wade died.... WADE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It feels like I'm reading the 3rd Harry Potter book for the first time, but I've already read the other 6. I know who the key players are, I know where they are going. There isn't any unanswered questions that this is setting out to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

The voice is too clean to be James Earl Jones on his own, à la Rogue One. There's definitely some digital editing going on. It sounds great, though. A lot like his Return of the Jedi voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,755 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He's definitely reportedly back for production but yeah, they used a program, Respeecher, to give Jones the necessary vigor to his lines

Sounds great, and pretty close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Vader's probably one of the easier voices to fudge, give there are no lips to sync up, and his voice was always modulated anyway. IIRC Jones' voice sounded really rough in Rogue One (obviously, being 91 now)

Between this and deep fake technology, there are going to have be some serious rethinks about image/voice rights for actors. Maybe existing contracts are already strong enough for this new technology. One wonders when/if a studio will go the whole hog and just have a digital recreation of a dead actor, voice n' all.

Indeed I know a lot of celebs have it excluded in their contracts, some i think include it in their contracts, to use their likeness in the event of death etc.

If Jones gave them the consent I think they have enough data to train an AI to use darth vader's voice in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

pure tripe so far

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

its for the under 3 year old age group , it's awful crap , loved the Mandalorian but this is horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't know guys. I think ye are being a bit harsh to be honest.

Yes last week's episode was bad and full of holes, but this week's episode (while full of conveniences - but sure the escape/infiltration of the Death Star in ANH was kinda the same if we're honest about it!) was a significant improvement with Obi getting his mojo back as someone said - rusty for sure, but it's clearly coming back to him, Leia being much improved vs last week and Vader just continuing to be awesome!

Loved the bacta tank flashes between him and Obi at the start, the escape (hide Leia under a coat aside), and yer one the double agent (very good bit when she intimidates the guard on the way in).

For me the massive weakness continues to be Reva. Just an awful one-dimensional character - angry, bitter, insecure and pouty. If indeed this is all supposed to be really about her story than Kenobi's then it's one I would gladly skip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re: Vader's movements, I agree. His behaviour also seems off. Christensen claims he learned how to move like Prowse but it ain't coming across on screen. My only thought is that Hayden may be trying to bridge the gap between his whiney, hot-headed Anakin and the cold, calculating Vader of the OT... or it's just more bad acting from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's what I'm taking it is, that he's still partway between being Anakin and being the Vader from the original trilogy, particularly as tracking down Obi-Wan after so many years likely has him wearing his emotions on the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Would have been a great ending. The show lacks that killer instinct. Everyone has plot armour, so nothing matters. Except Wade, obv.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

The first 20 or so minutes of episode 4 are as bad as I’ve seen in any tv show, the last 12 minutes are decent enough but overall this is a poorly made series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Obi wan writer did an interview recently, citing pablo hidalgo as main story advisor and guy who Keeps tth canon. He's a writer for the story group doing high republic trash, seems filoni not playing a big part if at all here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I had high hopes for this, maybe to turn around the drastic downward quality spiral Disney's MCU/Star Wars shows have been on all year. The first few episodes were decent imho, some issues and sloppy production (particularly the awful floaty wirework) but overall promising. And then Ep 4. It was complete and utter drivel.

- Tala still having security clearance and sitting at a desk right beside other personnel very obviously and loudly directing to Kenobi on inflitration.

- Tala kills an officer 10 feet from said dimwits, nobody notices.

- Kenobi jumps into a side alcove in a long straight corridor with 2 troopers 20 fkn feet away walking towards him. They were looking right at him as he jumped.

- Reva interrogating child leia, who obviously hasn't the slightest clue about what she is asking. Reva organised the events that led her there, she knows Leia has nothing to do with 'The Path' beyond falling into part of it.

- Kenobi in some godawful crappy old trenchcoat with Leia obviously under it (and constantly peaking out) walking merrily through the supposedly well defended base that's now in high alert. This scene alone should have the director and writers fired, never to be allowed near a set again.

- The speeders looked awful, their flight patterns made no sense and that shot from behind was youtube amateur hour ending with they would have slammed into the wall on that first pass.

- The super base has tie fighters prominently displayed but yet none are scrambled before, during or after the speeder attack.

- Reva can block turbo lasers while barely moving her arm.

- After using putting a tracker on them as an excuse for Kenobi and team getting away Reva then snaps that Kenobi is all that matters....So letting him go to get more info on The Path was her excuse/plan, but getting Kenobi is the only thing she cares about, which is why it's ok he's gone. I mean WTF?

- The action scenes were tepid and Kenobi and Reva just look bored slightly waving their arms around blocking laser fire hoping the CGI minions will make it look good, and it doesn't. Both should have been dead in seconds from the forces firing at them vs. the choreography of their defense. There was a complete disconnect between the attacking force and what we are asked to accept as successful blocking.

I've now cancelled my Disney re-sub, between Snooze Knight, The Book of Boring Fett and now this (let alone what they've done with the latest SW movies) Disney are not just treading water they're disappearing down the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If this was a mid season episode of a 13 episode multi season series I would just put it down as filler with flaws and forget about it.

But it's not. It's episode 4 of a 6 episode show about a major Star Wars character and the issue is that I have learnt very little new about Obi Wan Kenobi.

The scene where the spy sat at basically a hot desk and told Ben through a mic with a built in speaker that she's overridden an access vault whist a empire guy was 1 meter away was ridiculous and then takes out an officer around the corner without being noticed was just taking the urine.

This has been a poor series as the mentality of Obi Wan or Darth Vader have not been explored and the lore of Star Wars is not being enhanced. There's no emotion. The impact of Obi Wan discovering that Anakin was still alive and more powerful than ever should have been where this episode was at but instead it went for action, ineffective stormtroopers and poor plot.

Disappointing as the potential for this serious was enormous but they have blown it with poor writing and lack of creativity.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Check out The Orville before you go. Sounds like its more like what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Lol@ elaira sand slapping a storm trooper across his helmet 😂

Not a bad episode though. Give me force push and light saber action and I'm happy

You're right it was not a bad episode.

It was an awful episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I get almost as much amusement reading this thread after each episode as I do each episode if I'm honest. Like, why would you continue to watch something every week to just come on and say something is **** :D Is there literally nothing better going on like?

4th episode was grand, some hilarious plot holes and stupidity but it is Star Wars like, just something to watch with the kids and turn the brain off for.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh. It's merely just an ok show and nothing more. But, absolutely, the Reva character has been the weakest aspect of it all so far. Simply not working in any respect.

Once again, though, Disney have pushed out a completely unnecessary "product", although it's always arguable if any TV show or movie is "necessary". But that's another conversation. But just like 'Solo' and 'The Book of Boba Fett', this Obi-Wan story just feels all unspectacular and superfluous, even if it's a damn sight better than either of the previous mentions, while still just being mediocre.

I've heard rumours of a second series and, tbh, I think that will put even more nails in the coffin of the 1977 movie. Every time they do some sort of prequel thing, it just cheapens the original film in some way.

Does nobody watch Star Wars? :p

It's a running gag that stormtroopers are scary and useless. They never run out of the bit where someone is talking to 2-3 stormtroopers and their heads are always barely tapped together and all 2-3 of them are just out cold after that.

That wasn't my point at all.

The show is poorly written and a missed opportunity when you consider the major characters they are dealing with.

People also say it's just for kids, but that should not be accepted as an excuse for poor writing and character development.

• Advertisement

But just like 'Solo' and 'The Book of Boba Fett', this Obi-Wan story just feels all unspectacular and superfluous

Of all of these, I think that Obi-Wan Kenobi was probably the least superfluous. In that there was space for a story to fill in gaps: What was the status of the Jedi after the last Prequel? What was Vader up to? How come nobody noticed that there was another Skywalker who's aunt was sister of Padme, who was living near a guy called Kenobi? Living on the same planet that Anakin came from (I think). (I do think that we will find out that Vader always knew. They'll have to come up with some reason)

There was also space for a Han Solo movie although not as much. Let's be honest, Han is not exactly the most three-dimensional character.

And there was no need for Boba Fett other than fan service/subscriptions.

I mean, of all the spinoffs, this was the one I was looking forward to the most... And it's fine.... fine

Advertisement