Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

State SUPPORTED schools. Fine go ahead and cut off the money pipeline - which has grossly underfunded schools for decades anyway.

Tell you what - even if the church dispensed with patronage overnight, you would still be using church owned lands.

What you want to do though is have your cake and eat it. You want the schools to be in the same buildings, many of them owned by either religious orders or local parishes through charitable trusts, but no religion in the school.

Do the honest thing and buy them out. That would be the legals sorted and everything would be above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sure. we'll buy them out.

You won't mind if we make deductions for all the capital investment and capital grants before we pay?

And you won't mind if we make deductions for the outstanding funds for settlement of abuse costs before we pay?

Settlement of abuse costs? Oh that red herring. Only in Ireland can you get "compensation" for non proven abuse. I'll tell you a good one - I am one of the mother and baby homes "survivors" who was in an institution for just over 6 months. As a result, I will be entitled to €12,500 "compensation". Why? I have no idea. I suffered no abuse, maltreatment, or any such like. Many others entitled to compensation are in the same position. Why should we get compensation? We shouldn't! And yet the church is being told by your ilk to stump up. Total sham!

Red Herring? Classy approach to compensation for those whose lives were largely ruined, no education, no development, no love and support, no humanity in church institutions.

The Church was very happy to make a deal in order to avoid individual compensation claims in Court. They made a deal. They still haven't paid up.

I have no problem with compensation being paid to those who were abused, maltreated or neglected. And yet many many more who never were maltreated are entitled to compensation? How do you explain that?

You and your ilk would want to believe that there was no nice priests, nuns or brothers, and that every one of them were sadistic, evil and abusive.

Your retort of "classy approach" to compensation is despicable. Like I said - I am a "survivor" of a mother and baby home. I can scan and post a redacted (PII removed) letter from Tusla showing this to be the case. Now tell me - why should the church be liable for compensation to me? Why?

• Advertisement

Why are you asking me to justify a scheme I've no involvement with?

Why don't you ask the church bodies that signed up to that scheme, and have yet to pay their contribution to that scheme many years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As a proud member of that ilk, I think they all knew and looked away. Your call if that makes them good. It's the criminal organization known as the RCC that has been found liable, though not the individuals despite the RCC looking to deflect.

As for what the law states, well, go petition the Dáil if you dislike it. And, if you don't want the settlement, send it back.

You're the one who brought it up. You - not me!!! I simply said that, in my experience, all "entitled" to compensation shouldn't get it because they weren't abused, maltreated or neglected.

And then you played the BS card of me supposdely being insensitive to real survivors and their being at the receiving end of horrific treatment. This is the card your ilk play to try to shut anyone up.

But why should I be entitled to one if I didnt receive any harsh treatment? And countless others will not have received ill treatment either, but they will take the money.

Take it up with the Dáil. Your elected rep decided. Much like how your telling us against RCC indoctrination being funded by taxes, we should go protest to the Dáil.

• Advertisement

Off you go. Protest to your heart's content. But never dare to suggest that all accusations of maltreatment and abuse are correct - which you seem to do.

There have been countless students and residents of religious institutions who were treated with respect, with integrity, and given a help in life. When they spoke out - as in the case of a number of them on Liveline not so long ago - the vultures round on them and tell them they should be ashamed; that they should shut up; that the church was always evil in every case.

That is cancel culture. And it's minions are nasty and vile.

Take it up with your church. Ask your church why they signed up to that deal?

You think it ok for people who didn't receive any harsh treatment while in the care of religious institutions to receive "compensation"?

Just checking to see where you stand. My opinion doesn't matter to you ... so just wanna see what you think is right.

What I think is right, is that if you have a problem with the deal, you go ask your church why they signed up to the deal? Are you afraid to contact your hierarchy or something?

And spared us the tired oul 'i've been cancelled' nonsense as you continue to post on all the stuff that you've supposedly been cancelled on.

You just wont answer a simple question, because you are afraid to do so. Stop being the hurler on the ditch and answer the question. It's simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

My neither. I world however expect the contract to be terminated and the company, and, if it was found to be aware of the abuses and did nothing, to be charged with gross negligence, breach of contract and adding and abetting child abusers and who knows what else and fined comprehensively.

Or, if they were as moral as the said they were, to accept they eye in no position to continue.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So, you'd be willing to sign an affadavit saying you personally weren't impacted by the crimes committed by the RCC and don't want the compensation? I imagine you can petition the courts for that.

But, your question is nonsense. After a moments thought, you could figure out that if every person that WAS abused by the RCC and had their lives damaged by the organization had to testify in court and be deposed, the impact on the court system would be great and, frankly, the compensation the RCC is liable to pay would be much more expensive, hence the reasoning that led to the decision on who gets compensation.

So, although the crimes themselves are heinous, the State negotiated with the criminal organization known as the RCC and reached this agreement. Really, this is no different than any legal proceeding that results in sentencing, there's always some negotiation involved.

Hope this helps. Ask your priest to comment on the proceedings if you need more information about them /s

I won't answer a 'simple question' because it's not a simple question. It's not a matter I know much about, so any opinions I have on the detail of the scheme are worthless.

I do know there are vast amounts of monies still owed to the State under the scheme, so the Church isn't in much of a position to lecture anyone on morality or doing the right thing.

Criminal - in your opinion. You conflate opinion and fact. They are not one and the same.

And if you knew anything about the redress scheme, you would be aware that it's an opt in scheme rather than an opt out scheme.

Interesting you should raise the issue of an affidavit, suggesting I should swear one to deny any maltreatment to me - and yet there will be no complusion for those who come forward claiming compensation to do similar and testify that there was maltreatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Actually they've been handing properties over to lay trusts for years - it's been an effective way to shield these assets from abuse compensation claims e.g. Edmund Rice Schools Trust - while the lay nominees are carefully chosen in order to continue to maintain the "Catholic Ethos" which is, it seems, even more important than actually delivering the healthcare or education the taxpayer is funding them to provide.

It's what the Sisters of Charity are doing right now in relation to the St Vincent's Hospital Group. It'll be controlled by a company with charitable status, and they keep saying there is no religious* involvement, but it'll be controlled by the nominees of the nuns so there doesn't need to be direct religious involvement in order to maintain the "ethos". And we are handing a brand new €1bn maternity hospital over to this bunch 🙄

• another example of the infamous "mental reservation". Most people would interpret this in the sense of no involvement of religion in the hospital, what they mean is no involvement of religious, i.e. members of religious orders, but soon enough there will be no nuns left anyway so that's going to be a moot point. Rest assured the lay nominees will do their best to ensure the continued involvement of religion.
    Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I did draw attention to fact a lot that are very vocal in condemnation of say catholic church are very fond of condoning and excusing excesses in islam.

I keep being told this yet no examples are ever provided, it seems to be a myth. "A lot", really? Who? It's really just a way of taking a cheap shot at secularists saying their motivation is not equality and rights but some anti-catholic agenda.

Meanwhile... catholic bishops lie to the government and try to pressurise them to reintroduce pro-catholic religious discrimination. Unless they get what they want they'll continue to block divestment and providing parents with non-catholic education options. No surprises there really.

The notes state that the bishops' concern about Catholic children being unable to enrol in Catholic schools because of demand for places from non-Catholic children was an issue being raised by them "continuously".

However, research carried out by the Department of Education and shared with the bishops last November revealed that the bishops' concern was without foundation.

Data showed that just 159 Catholic primary schools, or 6% of the total, were oversubscribed.

It found that multi-denominational primary schools were four times more likely to have more applicants than places.

"The data shows that in the case of virtually all schools, parents had a nearby alternative with a Catholic ethos", the bishops were told.

It found that in many cases parents were choosing those oversubscribed schools over another Catholic school that was geographically closer to them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Did you catch the part where the bishops were complaining that you don't need baptismal certificates to enrol anymore? As @Hotblack Desiato said, the church just keeps on giving. Or, as I like to refer to it, the criminal enterprise known as the RCC, attempting to extort favors from the State (threats are, of course, extortion under the law.) And Norma Foley as Minister for Education is a FF minister so this probably will turn out how the RCC wants.

TBH I thought under Foley the Dept of Education would fold like a cheap suit, this hasn't happened - yet. But RCC and its supporters are used to playing a very long game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Met up with a friend and his wife for the weekend, he's Jewish and she converted to Judaism to marry him. Now they did say they went orthodox which is more strict, but she had to spend 2 years converting, which included 3 hours every Saturday at the synagogue.

I can only imagine the drop off in Catholic marriages, communion and confirmation numbers here if the church had the self respect to actually encourage its members to show their face every Sunday even for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭maik3n

Some surprising developments where my sister lives. I think it might already be in place in some areas nationwide, mind you.

The Diocese have sent word to all parish schools, that the Communion ceremonies next year should take place during regular weekend evening/morning Masses. There will be no separate special stand alone Communion ceremony/social event.

It will be interesting to see if this will have any effect on the numbers signing up for Communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭jmreire

You are right about one thing anyway Hotblack, and that's the long game, I'll give you that!!! 2022 years in fact, through thick and thin, persecution etc, and I'll tell you something else Hotblack, it will go on for a long time yet, until the end of time, in fact. For all the denigration of the Church and Christians, we're still here.

Post edited by jmreire on

Let's be clear though. This thread's about the RCC, especially in Ireland. There are other Christian denominations out there - Orthodox, Protestant in all its forms, Coptics, etc. The Church we're denigrating is the Roman Catholic church. It doesn't represent all Christians. Perhaps at the beginning but not for very long and not for a very long time.

It's always been amusing to me that RCC followers claim to be the only Christians, but hey, I suppose it's what they're taught and what the RCC leadership has always wanted.

🙄 Jesus founded a church at birth did he?

The usual bluff and bluster but it's sounding increasingly desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's because no one actually trying to get rid of you - it's your victim mentality again - they just want catholics, atheists,

It's amazing how often people mix up equality and persecution.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement