Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

So you think we will see hyper inflation?? As I said before your predictions are at the extreme side of the scale. For hyper inflation to occur there needs to be something a major change such as USD no longer being the world currency

also hyper inflation does not go with your prediction of lower house prices…if people believed that hyper inflation was coming then you would borrow money to buy assets because the inflation would eat away the debt.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looking forward to the day when I can pay off my entire mortgage with just 1 month's salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In the last 2 years we have seen many EU treaties suspended in terms of crisis, inflation rules will likely go the same way.

EU fiscal rules, the bane of most EU governments over the last decade were totally ignored for all of covid, as far as I know they have not yet been reinstated either. I doubt they will be for a long while if ever seeing how things are going. Ironically that unchecked borrowing over covid puts huge long term uncertainty as to how many EU countries will fare in the long term when their debts start to mature, and we likely find ourselves no longer in a record low interest rate environment.

Inflate away the debt will be the next plan to avoid default, "short term pain for long term stability" they'll market it as. Either that or its the end of the Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Financial Repression is the system they are going to use for the next 5-6 years for reducing their total debt. Higher Inflation % than savings interest rates, and real terms negative interest rates for governments so they can borrow now and pay down debt in the future when the money is a hell of a lot cheaper (worth less) - all of course at the expense of the normal Joe and Mary who get crucified with inflation and get a measly 2% salary increase.

This is the only logical way for reducing their balance sheet in the near terms which may then allow them to open the flood gates and print like crazy for the next pandemic/crisis ie. global warming and the transition to green energy, renewables and sustainable living.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MoneyPrinterGoBuurrrr

You literally couldn't make it up, over the course of the past hundred years 2.5% would be considered an absolute steal and now we have inflation at a near 40 year high and people can't fathom rates climbing over 2.5%.

The mind boggles

• Advertisement

So just because it's a different FIAT currency results in no chance of double digit mortgage rates?

You do know that we already have double digit inflation and mostly it's sitting at around the late teens or even 20% inflation in real terms. Look up what is on the Consumer Price Index (CPI), should be titled the Consumer Propaganda Index as they easily leave out a lot of essential items for modern day life. Add the utilities you consume to that list and you will realize we are not being told the true numbers.

The ECB will raise general rates at least a dozen times by 2027 and right now they are basically 0% but mortgage rates on average float around 2%, after a dozen hikes we will 100% see double digit mortgage rates by 2027 mark my words.

You’re right about people not being able to fathom. But think ECB will not fight high inflation as hard as you would like them to. They’ll live with stubbornly high inflation and see us all get poorer rather than put up interest rates too aggressively

Oh i see your point but in my opinion inflation will run hot for so long that the rate hikes will be more of a formality/token gesture.

The FED and ECB love inflation it's only when it closely results in riots in the streets that they "have to act" to keep up appearances.

Prices in Dublin 9 already receding. Can't wait to see this thread in a couple of years.

Most will probably be too scared to buy then, trying to time the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

My point is about the institutionals and what they are doing. REITs are the institutionals and are performing poorly. Burry has sold off a lot of his portfolio the last year so whatever about his everything bubble predictions being as of yet unrealised, he has a pile of dry powder like the rest of them.

For the individual the answer is clear; keep your own powder dry, clear off any debt you for whatever reason did not clear the last couple of years during covid and sit tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

For the last 30 years we have had cheap energy and food. Both of these took very little of people's wages compared to 50 years ago. Now we can no longer access these.

During the last ten years most inflation was caused by government adding cost with in vat or in charges.

Now we have entered a different era. As commodities inflate in price the ability to spend more on lifestyle will start to be limited, the city breaks, the concerts and matches, throw away clothing, fancier and fancier cars, newer electronics, eating out, coffee etc. People will have to choose on what to spend there money.

The biggest change that people will find is that we cannot give wage rise to compensate for the extra costs. We will have to reduce our standard of living and our lifestyles.

It's peculiar in that it will help to reduce the impact of climate change. People are starting to think before they sit into a car, do I need to make this journey, can I carry out another task which will save a future journey.

There is no conspiracy, no great plan by some sinister force it plain and straight economics. All over the world populations are increasing, this increases demand. Changes me er come slowly, something causes a problem( war in Ukraine) which accelerates and brings to the fore what was going to happen anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

Michael berry liquidated positions last year as he had a massive short on Tesla that needed to be settled as his prediction was wrong and cost him a fortune. I.e he used his dry powder to cover the loss on the short.

making a correct prediction is one thing but getting the timing right is the hard part and if you get it wrong it can cost a lot. People that held off buying property 2 years ago got it wrong because even if there was a 10-20% drop now they would still be better off and that doesn’t include 2 years rent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

One thing for sure inflation will not make property cheaper

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Prices are not a function of supply only. When affordability gets hit hard your flow of buyers dry up. Inventory argument is then pointless. Everything is moving very quickly now. Imo Prices will start falling soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

True, many treats have been suspended. But i can see a split developing in the euro should they permanently alow inflation run over 2%.

Transactions and mortgage drawdowns will be down first and you will see eit blamed on a lack of supply which, although arguable, is not correct. It is a sign of the shifting sands and the price corrections will follow. So look out for lower transactions and mortgage drawdowns to know change is afoot.

But correct he was about Tesla and remarkably he was a matter of a few months off profiting in a big way from Tesla which has fallen so far (40% in the last 12 months) that it won't ever get back to what it was as it would need to effectively double its current share price. Therefore, I would be still paying very close attention to what these guys are doing as they will be hedged for a crash long before it happens, and it appears that they are.

The next area to watch is the corporate debt sector as appetite is drying up among the elites for riskier corporate debt. That will lead to higher borrowing costs and ultimately more companies going belly up, job losses and less cash available to spend on property as the cost of everything is now mroe expensive.

All tech stocks have been falling massively lately due to the covid money printing ending and the prospect of rate rises, so any short of a big tech stock would have had similar result. However it depends when he placed his position also, we are now only back to pre-covid positions.

There will be a split no matter what - or at least very strong diverging opinions. The eurozone economies are so different that there is no one-size-fits-all solution, raising rates could tackle inflation but cripple indebted nations, not raising rates will see inflation unchecked which will cripple everyone.

The ECB will not raise rates enough that we see double digit mortgage rates. It would destroy weaker more indebted members of the union and wouldnt be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

But this is where our stock of housing both rentals and from selling hit. We have already got an additional 1/2 million bodies extra to house from our increase in numbers in the country over the last decade and we simply stopped building. If our current trajectory of more people migrating inwards as apposed to leaving then we will always have a deficit with regards to housing I do not think many people understand this. In other countries the lack of properties is not as acute as it is here and until this is rectified we are in trouble. People on here saying we cant have the government paying high rentals (which I agree) but HAP has just been increased and any party taking that away will be annihilated at the poles. So regardless of someone can or cant afford a house they still need to live somewhere. There needs to be serious C-change in our political dynamic this crap of being voted in on broken promises and not bothering with certain situations as you wont get the credit for it is a complete waste of time. We need to start hitting politicians in the pocket with their pensions on a certain % of promises kept and broken. Its the only way these leeches will actually do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Shorting Tesla is incredibly risky as it has that mania following, it's also a large holding in most pensions and the last leg on the arc Innovation fund stool preventing it from complete collapse for now.

Investing/shorting Tesla is russian roulette. Most logical thinking people know it's still overvalued but there is still too much silly money out there to be lost before it's found out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I'd say there would be a substantial cohort of the electorate glad to see the back of hap if they knew it's full effect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yeah that cohort would be made up of mainly anyone who owns a house and/or who is working. So anyone not in either of these situations would be considered the less well off and any gov party cutting the supports like HAP to these groups would get a serious slapping from our left leaning media. I would be all on for removing it and having more money in my own pocket.

ECB will raise rates enough to cause double digits mortgage rates, a crisis will ensue and a push for a CBDC will be implemented.

Correct being data dependant this is the first place to look for future price predictions.

Although anecdotal, personally speaking, i know prospective buyers who are in two camps, buy now before rates go up or hold off. It's leaning towards the latter for the majority.

This time next year the market will be unrecognizable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What’s your own position out of curiosity? Are you a homeowner or prospective buyer? Your posts come across as someone with a keen interest in prices going down heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭amacca

Why CBDC? what does that achieve/ameliorate about a crisis brought about by rising rates/double digit mortgage rates?

Easier to track who has what, where its coming from and who is spending...eliminate black economy, get more tax revenue in and save on costs associated with physical money......................or no direct help but just a handy cover to push the introduction of one.

CBDC will not be the answer to any financial crisis, the crisis is the very existence of the euro and the ECB. A central bank and currency for a whole variety of different states with different economies was always going to end in disaster before long. A CBDC would do absolutely nothing to fix those fundamental problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Supply really ramping up now.

22 Jan 2022
    All - 10711
    26 may 2022
    All - 12782
    10 June 2022
    All - 13388

• Advertisement

affordability of buyers differs massively depending on what sector the workers are in as the likes of tech and finance are willing to increase pay to get retain staff…which means that buyers working in these areas will not be as badly impacted by someone in Retail/tourism.

Advertisement