Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time I did the Wicklow 200 it was a flat bar hybrid with front suspension, used the same bike on the Orwell Randonee the following year. These days my main bike is a CX which is grand for these events. Also slow enough out there but there is plenty craic at the back.

Down to do the WW200 again in a couple of weeks but going to a party the night before with no handy transport out to Bray the next morning. Will probably wimp out and do a leisurely WW100 instead, cycling to and from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do you have far to cycle to the start? I've no transport to the event start either and last time the event ran cycled from Rush, done the 100km and cycled home after. Will do likewise this year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not too far at all, about 20k so 140k for the day. All very doable with a few scoops had the night before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm down for the WW200 but if it's anyways wet or miserable I'll be bailing out. I did the Sleive Bloom extreme in the rain all day in 2018 and it was the worst spin on the bike I've ever done. I don't think I was right for about a month after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Ditto. On top of the possibility of sh1t3 weather. I'm not 100% convinced my fitness is back where I need it to be - albeit in a much better place than January. Also had what seems to have been a cold, rather than the more usual thing, that I picked up from my favourite 2-legged petri dish which has had be off the road for a week. Seems to be cleared up now as had a spin taking it handy at lunchtime today and all was good. I'll probably make the call when I get as far as Laragh though

• Advertisement

Speaking of manners, there were people going round the Ring of Beara with speakers on their bike playing music pretty loud. I passed 3 so there must have been a good few more (unless I was just very unlucky). Is that a thing now? I thought it was obnoxious as hell

was hard to be too annoyed though given the day that it was

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw that at both the Reservoir Dogs sportive and also last weekend in Conamara. It didn't bother me in the slightest. The music was loud but not enough to disturb anyone. I just was disappointed that it was the wrong music - it wasn't Thrash Metal \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Really enjoyed the Conamara Sportif last weekend. Weather, route, scenery and the atmosphere back in Clifden afterwards. Only sorry I had to drive home from it. Will definitely do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Was the music coming from their phone on their handlebars which can't be too loud or did they have large Bluetooth speakers blasting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Spurion

Anyone know if a wicklow 100 ticket can be used for the wicklow 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think the speakers thing is common enough. I've seen it on any sportif I've done. My gut reaction to it at the start line is that it's woeful obnoxious but have always found it amusing when passing/being passed by it. I think on a big friendly summer sportif it adds to the carnival atmosphere a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

I did the Tour of Louth Sportive today. 112km and 614m total ascent. It's a pretty flat course, apart from the section which takes riders over Jenkinstown Hill in the foot of the Cooley Mountains. This hill peaks at 205m, with the gradient perhaps slightly above 10% on the steepest sections, which are fairly short. I managed to hang on to the lead group as far as the climb, which came at the 60km mark. Unsurprisingly, the group completely fragmented at that point and I found myself with 3 other lads who were climbing at about the same pace as myself, roughly in the middle of that group. Coveniently, the food stop was at the top of the climb, so we regrouped there (I thoroughly approve of placing foodstops at the top of climbs on which I get dropped!).

I just grabbed a quick slug of water and made sure to be ready for the off. About 8 of us went off together and the descent was very enjoyable; not so steep that it's over in a brief blur but still quick enough and twisty enough to be a good buzz. After the descent, we were rejoined by another 15-18 riders and that larger group remained together the rest of the way back to the finish.

I took several turns at the front when the pace was on the saner side; I have no objection to contributing to the workload when I'm able to. A kind of apathy briefly descended on the group on the final leg back towards Dundalk and the pace dropped off quite a bit, so a couple of savages powered up to the front and raised hell for a while. The speed jumped back up to 45-55km/h and even the slighest drag had me gasping to hang on, despite the benefit of the draft from the group. There was still more than 20km to go at that point and I didn't think I'd be able to hack that pace all the way home. But thankfully it eased off a little and once we got within 10km I was pretty sure I would finish with that group. We got around in 3h 07m, with a moving average of 36.0km/h.

This is a well established Sportive and Cuchulainn Cycling Club did a flawless job on the organisation, so thumbs up to them! We never had to stop, except for a couple of red traffic lights at major junctions and everyone that I saw got around safely and without incident. I found it really enjoyable and would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

We got around in 3h 07m, with a moving average of 36.0km/h.

So much for the organisers appealing at the start for entrants not to turn it into a race! 😆 That's savage going all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spudpicker2022

was a great day out. i spotted a boards jersey in the group a few times. i assume that was you. the section down by carlingford coastline was tough with the headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I spotted that boards kit also (with yellow helmet) at the start. Mentioned it over in the jersey sightings thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Hey, anybody here familiar/involved with the Ring of Clare Sportive? Signed up to do the 120km spin, but was hoping to change to 160km route. I can find anywhere on their website to change and their social media replies seem to be all automated 

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MyDarkArts

I've done the route a few times, (I've no authority here), but my guess is you'll be grand if you just show up on the day and do the longer spin. There was no difference in price between the two and don't recall any over-zealous checking of wristbands at the start or food stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone here ever done the Ox Mountain 4 passes sportive, run by the Ox Mountain CC. Looks a nice 125k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Yes, it my "home" sportive, it goes straight past my home place. Stunning route, empty roads, loads of very rolly roads and a couple of tasty climbs. Roosky hill and The Ladies Brae are the tough ones. The climbs past Lough Talt and Lough Easky are easier. If I hadn't signed up for the Wicklow 200 I'd definitely be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ox Mountains 4 passes sounds a lovely route. Ladies Brae has a serious view going north.

Probably tipping over to the Tour of the Lakes this Sunday in Mullingar if the weather holds

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bluejohn1

First sportive done. Was really fun and well organised. Headed off just after 6 so was pretty much on my own after the first climb.

Completed the 100km in 4:15 moving and 4:29 total, beats my last 100k by 4:30 and some 6+ hours total, struggled coming out of grey stones but got there in the end. Chuffed with the effort. Wicklow really is a beautiful place to cycle. Thankfully wind only became an issue near the end also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I've noticed a few of the bigger sportives this year featuring the first rider home in their social media posts. The most recent one was the W100 today. Maybe I'm out of touch but, for me, sportives are about participating and hopefully completing the route. Thankfully timings chips that featured on some events a few years ago seem to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I see no problem with it. A lot of people use sportives as a measure of their fitness and try to improve year on year.

To be the first back considering how many riders is a great achievement for a lot of people. Now i know people will say if they want to race go race but some people don't like the dangers of racing. Each to their own.

I’m surprised they acknowledge the first rider home. I thought that the insurance implications if a sportive were perceived to be a race were pretty severe. My understanding is that insurance was the driver behind removing timing from events

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was just a (factual) Facebook post to be fair!? There's no timing sheet like you'd get at a Gran Fondo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Tour de Kilkenny 160km any good?

I know nothing about the place except it's a Mecca for stags and hens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Bring yer climbing legs 😁😁

Advertisement