Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 2022

Comments

I doubt pool will be paying his father 40m his agent 40m and the player a 40m for signing on fee on top of the transfer fee then paying him 400k a week on top of directorships in companies in abu dhabi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yup and that buyout clause was one of the main reasons he went to Dortmund originally wasn't it? I think United and a few others were in negotiations at the time and they wouldn't agree to the low release clause but Dortmund had no issue.

What's €80m? Close to £70m? Either way it's a big fee but I'd imagine Liverpool are confident of recouping a bit from sales with Mane, Minamino, Ox and Williams all potentially leaving. They also didn't spend massive amounts over the last two years so should be sitting on a bit of cash you'd imagine especially with the CL final run last season.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Haaland most likely had a massive signing on fee and far bigger agents fees too, but he's a surer thing than nunez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

It rather ruins the plucky little Liverpool narrative a great signing none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Definitely a lot more risky than Haaland and it'll put pressure on Nunez from the get go even if it's on the low end of the quoted fees. Similar fee for Grealish and he has gotten a decent amount of stick for how he has performed so Nunez will get similar scrutiny. But if Mane is going, and it looks like he is, Liverpool needed to go and make a statement attacking signing.

• Advertisement

Grealish was reported at £100m and this is meant to be €80m rising to €100m so a small bit of difference in the fees

Salah also likely to be going next summer maybe so you can't lose both without getting someone in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I see the “risk-free” or “low-risk” Haaland transfer line pop up quite often around the web these days, but I wouldn’t be so convinced of that given his injury record at Dortmund. It’s not the length of those injuries, but rather the frequency and type. It’s extremely concerning for a young player with a build like his.

It might well be something he can overcome, but any club paying Haaland the wages he’s reported to be on are certainly not making a “risk-free transfer”. City are probably the ideal club for him at this stage of his career though as he won’t be overplayed by Pep, whereas he was playing 90 minutes almost every game he was available for at Dortmund, and he can only play one way; maximum intensity.

There was never this narrative. There was the one that they spend within their means and spend what they earn, mostly through sales.

Look at man city's first team squad and of those purchased all but 1 cost over 40 million, 9 of them over 50.

They've been able to write off Mendy, Otamendi, Mangala pretty much. Only man utd and to some extent Chelsea can do that really and city are not as prollofic as they were with the waste prior to 2016.

They can wait to buy who they want and afford any fee but they can risk getting a 100millions transfer wrong. Liverpool cant do that really.

City shouldn't be able to either, but apparently they're a commercial powerhouse, even though they can't sell out their own games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tarkowski to Everton on a free seems to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Decent signing for them improves their CB options and fits the bill financially as well.

• Advertisement

I would have though he could do better than everton

Thought he was a cert to go to Newcastle. He's a decent CB and is little risk on a free.

I'd say Newcastle now they are safe will have bigger targets than him in mind.

I actually though he might have gone back to Brentford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd take a guess that a lot of the upfront payment for Nunez will be offset by Mane leaving the club. The early figures of these deals don't usually end up being the final figures either. Benfica will want to get it as high as possible too.

Benfica also have to give Almeria 20% of whatever fee they get for Nunez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a lot of money for Nunez considering he's coming off one strong season. Suppose it indicates how sparse the market is for strikers. Haven't seen him outside of the Champions League, so don't know how he'll fare.

Gavin Bazunu looking to seal a move to Southampton. Might explain why he is missing tonight's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ah I see. I had assumed he was fit as he was on the bench at the weekend, with the 'injury' being a cover to go do a medical/wrap up the transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Alex McCarthy is an average keeper so he'd have a great chance of going in at #1 or able to win the jersey quick enough. Biggest worry is Southampton as a team, very light on good players and look like a team on the slide the last few years. If he goes there and gets the #1 spot he'll be busy.

So that will be ireland first two keepers as number 2's a premier league clubs and travers as first team starter at a premier league club who will still be behind the two number 2's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Far as Bazunu in particular is concerned, there's nothing wrong with that. He got his chance in the first team for Ireland because Travers had one of the worse goalkeeping performances in memory. Bazunu's not put a foot wrong, so as long as that remains the case, he deserves to keep the shirt.

That's always been how international football has worked - the games are so sparse and sporadic that you have to keep continuity wherever you can, so as long as the guys with the shirt are putting in good performances, they keep the shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'd be surprised if Bazuna was going there to sit on the bench. I think he is being signed as No.1.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I've never heard this “plucky little Liverpool” narrative. Sure didn't they spend 75m and 68m on VVD and Alision! I always thought the narrative around them and transfer was they spend what they earn or sell? Assuming Mane, Oz, Phillips and Minaminho go this summer as has been rumored along with the money for 2nd in the League and Champions League runner up you would have to imagine the coffers will be well topped up. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liverpool have been cautious for a while and Mane going now and Salah/Firmino going within 12 months likely opens up a lot of salary space.

There was serious interest in Tchouameni before he signed for Real Madrid for big money so you'd think there's still money left over after Nunez for a good midfielder.

I think every Liverpool fan is desperate for it to be Jude Bellingham, even if it's one for next summer in a Naby Keita-like deal. That kid is incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Otamendi was a decent signing for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

All but one cost over 40m? Thats not correct. Squad as of last game of the season off top of my head had the following that cost less than 40m:

Steffen, Zinchenko, Foden, Fernandinho, Jesus, Gundogan and then likes of Palmer, Carson and McAtee etc who are part of the squad.

The point constantly made on boards about City buying an expensive player and then it not working out just buying another expensive player to replace him is not true. Case in point Mendy, city havent had a natural left back other than Mendy since 2017. He has had serious injury for two years and ended up in jail now and City just didnt go out and buy another 50m fullback. Pep made do with playing players out of position eg Delph, Zinchenko, Cancelo,Laporte even fernandinho played a game at left back. The only time under Pep that has been remotely true is with Claudio Bravo. He didnt work out and was quickly(and rightly) replaced with an expensive replacement(Ederson).

Every other first team signing by Pep has either been value for money based on what they have done on the pitch and/or increased in value except Mendy through his injuries and own stupidity. One other exception being Grealish who the jury is still out on. Mangala was before Pep. Otamendi bought for £32m and then sold for €15m while playing 136 games winning 2 premier leagues, an fa cup and 4 carabao cups along with a place in the team of the year was certainly not a write off.

Citys spending under Pep has been very controlled and methodical if it was the buy anyone approach(like spending at the very start of the takeover) they want they wouldnt have gone so long without a left back or a season without a striker, wouldnt have missed out on Alexi Sanchez, Fred, Ronaldo and all the other players they missed out on over the years because they wouldnt pay the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

So your references are a couple of outliers that includes a sub keeper, a couple of young fellows aged 20 or less at the time of transfer and a defensive mid who just scraped under 40M? Those young lads could have gone either way and in the case of Jesus and Zinchenko would probably have had a lot more games if they had gone anywhere else. No one pays big money for sub keepers or defensive mids. Either way, it's the most expensive squad ever assembled and most match days, the City bench costs more than the opposition's 11 playing combined.

• Advertisement

To be fair, the poster has a point when he says that the squad is full of 40m players. 

Going by this seasons squad, the average transfer cost per player was €44.70m (using transfermarkt as source).

With the additions of Haaland & Alvarez, and Fernandinho leaving, this actually increases to €45.50m per player in the squad.

You said only one player, i pointed out 6 key squad players not including youth or the third keeper but including the guy that essentially won the league on the final day. Its a long way from what you said.

No one is debating its an expensive squad but no need to make up stuff to suit the narrative.

The bench costing more than most the oppositions entire stands true for chelsea, united and the same will be true of liverpool as they start to add depth to their squad. If you looked at citys bench for a lot of matches last season there was a lot of youth team players involved. Grealish will always be the outlier on the bench but in terms of pure numbers its one of the smaller squads, at one stage during the season they only had 13 first team players available. But thats all besides the initial points made.

Alot of those figures dont look correct, what currency is it?

cant quote people for some reason but that question is for fitsy.

I'd say it's from Transfermarket but one of the European ones showing fees in Euro.

All in Euros, and all from transfermarket. They are the most consistent with transfer fees anyways, IMO.

Fair enough, its just weird seen it in euros given their usually disclosed in GBP by the buying club so its hard to know if its based on xe rate at time of transfer or current rate.

Weird quote button works now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He's never even played for City. It will be interesting whether he can become number 1.

Logically, that has to be the intention behind the move - if he was really going there to be number 2, they'd just keep him at City to be number 2 there instead. Looks a better keeper than Zach Stefan anyway. You'd expect that if Southampton are going for him, and the club and player go along with it, that they've been given some assurances he'll at least have a shot to stake his claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Alex McCarthy is bang average/poor keeper and his ability with the ball at his feet is non-existent. I'd be surprised if Bazunu isn't their No1 if the move gets the green light.

It's a risky move for Bazunu. He's not going to a club that will be forgiving with any mistakes. If he gets a chance and has two or three shaky games, he's benched. Hope it works out for him. I admire him for turning down a big salary to be a City back-up if those reports are accurate.

I hadn’t realised it was a permanent move, thought it was a loan… not so sure about it in that case. At his age a loan comes with more benefits, and puts him in a better position quicker, with less risk.

Really hope it works out for him if it happens, and Southampton can get a bit more consistent! As it stands, wouldn’t be too surprised to see them go down over the next few years.

• Advertisement

I did forget gundogan and my 1 was Jesus. I wasn't counting home grown players, it was purchased players. I should've said it differently, In that they've signed more 40+ and 50+ million players than anyone else in the league (except maybe Chelsea)

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

I think it is a great move for Bazunu going to a PL club where he has a proper chance of being number 1 and a club known for sticking by young players.

I'm surprised at this. I thought he would refuse to go there due to his Marseille connection. He hinted as much a few years ago:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bernado Silva to Barca

replacing

Frenkie De Jong to Man Utd

Few murmurs on it.

Reading the De jong to utd rumours it really seems his agents want him to move more than he wants to move but money talks and barca do not want him they want newer toys to play with so off he goes and he will be a good signing for utd

Barca haven't a pot to piss in and they're acting the Billy big bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Has Poch actually been sacked yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

De Jong is a bit like the Coutinho signing in the eyes of Barca fans. He was signed as a future superstar to anchor Barca's midfield for the next decade just like Coutinho was signed to eventually lead the forward line in a post Messi era...Neither worked out for whatever reason (Coutinho was never good enough in my opinion) so maybe De Jong might be thinking that a move back to his old coach might be what's needed to rejuvenate his career and it's currently stagnant at Barca! I don't think the Barca fans will miss him too much, especially if the get close to 80m for him.

Barca have had a big rejuvenation under Xavi so far to be fair. They did finish 2nd in La Liga, and for a couple of weeks there was talks of a comeback title charge after they hammered Real Madrid 4-0 at the Bernabeau.

If they can get the recruitment right this summer, they just might get back to challenging for titles again. Selling De Jong might just have to fund that recruitment though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement