Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

It's ok when it's off duty or in a lull but I still think it's weird when it's in response to orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,557 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I loved that in Firefly, that they actively thought about how culture and language would have evolved, and arrived at the conclusion that it would be a mishmash of western and eastern cultures, with everyone speaking bits of both english and chinese. All their production design and wardrobe took that into account too. Really cleverly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Going the other direction, I remember reading an interview with the creator of the Spartacus series and he was saying they talked about using language and swear words from that period but decided against it as wouldn't have the same impact, or something along those lines.

Of course we did also get phrases, which I guess merge the 2 periods, such as "Jupiter's c**k!" which was John Hannah's favourite.

But as for Star Trek, as long as they don't start relying on memes or anything else that really dates it.

And it does seem that the only music/art/literature that has been created between now and then is alien. Like we hear Klingon opera or Bajoran poetry, yet when it comes to human works, it seems no one has created anything noteworthy in all that time. Holodeck programs are based on Sherlock Holmes and people listen to classical music like Beastie Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We did get flounder or whatever his name was on Voyager which seems to have been a 24th century multi cultural show. From the aliens we also got Klingon acid punk. We do get a few sports and games which may be human.

There is an awful amount of culture from a time when records are supposedly sketchy though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course we have also forgotten The Expanse, where Belters speak in a patois made up of about 4 or 5 different languages, the show using a weird accent that soemtimes sounds a bit Afrikaans to my ears. So that's possibly the best, most recent example of Sci-Fi doing - and succeeding in - made up projections of human culture. Albeit a spin off thereof.

Don't forget Picard's love of gumshoe (holo)novels, Riker's jazz and pickup bars, or Crusher/Data's tap dancing; TNG often had sprinkles here and there. DS9 at least had the nous to make a fictitious team and all-star player for Sisko to admire (it was a London team, wasn't it?)

I should have been clearer, Trek is obsessed with 20th century culture as the most recent era its willing to embrace. As others say, Shakespeare, Robin Hood and a Hodge Podge of all sorts of historical shopping lists get trotted out too - but good luck finding anything contemporary that isn't Klingon Opera.

There's probably a valid, interesting essay you could make that the Federation is decadent to the point that culturally, it's utterly stagnant. Jake Sisko becoming a writer being a total outlier in an institution that, if its members aren't quite insular in the first place ala Vulcans, produces no culture of its own and instead gloms onto others.

• Advertisement

Crusher put on plays that seemed to be human in origin too.

But aren't those references all just shorthand for the benefit of the audience? Dixon Hill could gave been a mid 21st century setting but that would have required more explanation for the audience. Likewise with the Killing Game on Voyager. By all accounts WWIII was far bloodier than WWII but WWII requires less explanation for the audience.

That essay sounds like tortuous over reading of what's on screen. It also wouldnt work because there are publishing houses and schools for writers in the Federation, on Earth even, in the 24th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

"Of course we have also forgotten The Expanse, where Belters speak in a patois made up of about 4 or 5 different languages, the show using a weird accent that soemtimes sounds a bit Afrikaans to my ears"

South Africans in Space is still what I think of when I hear the belter accent.

I guess 3d chess would be human made and futuristic.

The main reason all Holo stuff was 20th century is Holo episodes were a cheap way to do an episode using leftover props from other shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Going the other direction, I remember reading an interview with the creator of the Spartacus series and he was saying they talked about using language and swear words from that period but decided against it as wouldn't have the same impact, or something along those lines.

I can't remember what comedian it was but they were on about how in movies/TV Romans were always portrayed using Royal Shakespearean Academy accents. His this was "Why do they all sound like Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart and Helen Mirren? The Romans are Italian. Why don't you have "Ey tu Brutus" (Insert really terrible Super Mario Italian accent 😀 )

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the Spartacus movie, the Romans have RSC Brit accents and the slaves are American.

They tried to reproduce that idea in Alexander the Great with the Macedonians have Irish accents.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 4 was yet another Good Episode of Star Trek. At this stage there's not even any surprise here, just consistent enjoyment of something well crafted, acted, paced, structured and produced.

And who'd have thunk it? Noonian-Singh turned out to be a good character. We all groaned when we heard the reveal, and rightly so, but she's probably the strongest of the new characters we hadn't already met.

In fact the only character I'm not gelling with is Number 1. She's too ... I dunno. Generic and well meaning. Usually Number 1s have been the Real Talk people. Saul Tigh the one who kicked the crew's àss while Adama inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm absolutely loving this and it really is as good as I'd hoped it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Do they not show the episode title on-screen during the episode, or have I just missed it every time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Must be the cost of putting it in lol or maybe they just think people do not want that anymore. Personally I would prefer if they did have the titles in the episodes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It didn't realise it was missing until @eadrom raised the issue. It'd have been a nice callback to TOS and now it's absence will irritate me forever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The very start has the intro with the Star Trek title - does that not count in case you don't know what you are watching?

Lots of tv shows don't have the episode titles in the episode itself. I know Star Trek used to though.

Maybe they could be like Police Squad and say the wrong title (at 53 secs)

And sure to keep it Star Trek related, guest starring William Shatner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It seems to be the way with a lot of modern shows. Picard and Discovery were the same. I even think Star Wars are the same hell they did not even bother given the 3 episodes of "Obi One Kenobi" any titles at all just part 1 2 and 3.

It's OK untill these shows find there way to T.V and if someone runs them in the wrong order then it could mess with things like imagine seeing "Spock Amok" before the episode that came before it. It would not be the worst thing I suppose but it would slightly dull the ending of episode 4 ("Mori Morbid" lol well I was half right with that title) it's "Momento Mori" it was called as now you know where the Enterprise will be in the next episode.

I do think "Mori Morbid" could be a great title for a future SNW title do.

Maybe one where most of the crew have turned into zombies or are acting all weird. Maybe in season two or 3 who knows. I will send it to CBS.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Episode title, not series title. The episode titles also contain references, e.g. the last one was called Spock Amok, in reference to the Amok Time episode with the Kirk vs Spock fight.

They should also finish every episode with a freeze frame of the crew laughing about the days events despite the fact loads of people died.

So halfway mark hit with Episode 5. It was fantastic, very much the comedy episode - hijinks you could say - but the ease with which it both worked within Trek's bag of tropes while making little tweaks for freshness has never been less than effortless.

The ease with which this show does Star Trek is bordering on showboating.

By the by, what's the consensus regarding Ethan Peck's Spock? Obviously, he's not the only returning character from the universe - but arguably he has the toughest boots to fill. Personally, I think he has been fantastic and really nailed the simmering emotions and conflict Vulcans should have; his performance in Episode 5 was especially good given he had to also play:

his fiancee; there was a sarcastic joke about noting the differences between two Vulcan's behaviours - but I saw it.

I don't recall his Discovery Season 2 appearances too well, but so far I've been quite impressed, honestly. He even nails the deadpan comedy, something Nimoy often had to do himself back in the day. In retrospect, looking back, Zachary Quinto was prone to playing Spock with too much snarling repression, or just plain díckishness beloved of lazy Vulcan acting.

He plays what is clearly Spock without it being a copycat or parody which is what you want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Think I've mentioned around these parts before but yeah -- I think he's been fantastic so far. As @breezy1985 said, it's clearly Spock. Younger and a different actor but it doesn't feel like imitation.

Also I think his performance as Spock has improved a lot since Discovery season two. And it's certainly better than Quinto in the movies.

Quinto (iirc) was bogged down with having to spend every movie wrestling with his emotions and having an "omg" he lost it emotionally moment.

Not as good as Peck but Quinto at least showed the part could be recast successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This show is absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Something has been bugging me though, it's the use of Hemmer so far. There pretty much isn't any. He had a significant part in one episode, and brief appearances in two others. But he's entirely missing from three of them. It's an odd omission. I'm beginning to wonder if they're limiting his usage, possibly due to the prosthetics required.

Advertisement