Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Katherine Ryan claims she called out alleged ‘sexual predator’ celebrity on TV series

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Shes not a trustworthy source, seems a real up her own ar$e walking ego. In fact none of her material is even slightly funny. I smell desperate attempt at publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Be right back

All allegations. Way to damage someone's career without proof or going to police. It won't be long before the press find out who it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i never know what to make of her. shes generally quite funny and her netflix series was mostly very good, but she can delve into the 'everyone else is the source of my problems not me' thing alot of the time on the other hand. as for this, i havent seen her new show yet but shes been vocal on instagram about how she finds age gap relationships disgusting so i wouldnt be surprised if it were something to do with that. cant think of any comedians off the top of my head that are dating someone significantly younger though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Talk about being vague. She can't name them because she has no proof which only leads to more speculation, and Sara Pascoe seems to know the person as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wezz

If they both know you can guarantee a lot more do too. Which begs the question why someone like that keeps getting booked. Reputations don’t come from nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Promoters are parasites who will book literally anyone who will shift tickets, and don't even try to hide it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Seems it was an anonymous phone call that started this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Can someone explain to me how Katherine Ryan "called him a (sexual) predator to his face and in front of everyone every day" So, does she call him a predator every day that she sees him? All while she admits that she has no proof?

And then she goes on about not being able to feed her children.............which I assume means that she would be sued if she named the person. Yet she apparently identified the person and called them a predator in front of others, which one would think would be enough to get sued.

And is Pascoe's story about someone else? I assume so. And she has no proof either, she's just going on what someone else told her over the phone. And why did the person phone Pascoe? Are they friends? And why didn't Pascoe report the allegation to the Police rather than the TV channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Seems fairly self-explanatory. She worked with him a few times and called him a predator to his face every day that she did. She doesn't choose to work with him, but at the time couldn't and didn't want to turn the work down. She mentions there's a chat group with a lot of female comedians and it's fairly well known among them what this guy is like and what he does.

The woman who contact Pascoe about it said he raped her. However Pascoe doesn't have proof, but trusts what the woman said (because of this man's existing reputation). She can't go to the police because it would have to be the woman who did that and it's not Pascoe's place to do so if the woman doesn't want. But she said it to the TV company at the very least to warn them of what someone accused him of.

It's why they're not naming him publicly. They weren't assaulted by him, so it's not their story to tell.

If they named him, they'd be accused of naming him without proof. Not naming him, they're being accused of trying to damage someone's career (even by not naming him). If they said nothing and it was then revealed what the guy had done and they knew about it, they'd be accused of not coming forward about it.

• Advertisement

Good explanation, thanks.

But didn't Catherine Ryan name him, and call him a (sexual) predator in front of everyone? Isn't that putting her neck in the chopping block, so to speak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is she saying she called him out on TV shows aired?

She didn't name him publicly though. It's also not known the manner in which she would said it. Maybe others thought it was a joke, or she just didn't like him. Maybe she was throwing it into the middle of conversations to make him uncomfortable (showing to him that she knew about things he did) whereas others might not have picked up on what she was referring to. Also don't know how long she worked with him for, probably only a few days.

The trouble is, the more details like that she reveals, the more likely people would figure out who it is, and then she's inadvertently named him. So she's being as general as possible because ultimately her and Pascoe were just talking about the situation as it relates to being women and working in such a male-dominated career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Yet another attention seeker.

I'd argue that if she called them out in front of others, she did call them out in public. Agreed that we don't know the manner in which she did it.

By revealing some of the info though, she's created a situation where people will speculate on who it is, just look at the opening post in this thread for an example of that. That's not really fair to any innocent male comedians that she's worked with on TV as their names may now have a cloud over them.

I'm not saying she's wrong about this person, I just don't know but I'm not a fan of calling someone out when you have no proof, which Ryan says is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Jimmy carr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

She didn't name him on TV or online but called him out multiple times to his face with witnesses it seems. Interesting to see how this pans out. John Lydon sort of called out Jimmy Saville in 1978, hinted at rumours & stories, he suffered a career crippling ban and had similar accusations like the above on this thread of being untrustworthy (for no real reason), egotistical (which he was) and an attention seeker... which most people in that career actually are. It gave people that didn't like his material great satisfaction though.

It turned out he was right.

It's not. She's pretty much best friends with Carr and regularly works with him by choice, as does Pascoe. From what I remember (as this interview she did with Pascoe wasn't the first time this has come up as I think I remember some other female comedians talking about it on Twitter before a few years ago and it's most likely they're all talking about the same person), it's not someone who's a regular on panel shows. They likely did a few appearances several years back, but not a regular.

I think there's a pretty clear distinction between saying it "publicly" in front of a few cast/crew while filming a show, and saying it "publicly" by specifically accusing him on a show or interview which would reach millions of people.

The latter, one should definitely not do without proof, unless they're a direct witness to the assault or the person the offence was committed against (as the proof would be their own first hand experience).

While doing the former isn't great either, the fact none of us can figure out his name, shows that she hasn't accused him "publicly" (as in, making it public knowledge).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Amy schumer?

Depressing to see we are all listening to vague accusations. I'm as guilty as the next for paying attention to it but for **** sake, sexual assault should not be used the way celebs are using it now, which is for attention.

On an unrelated note so happy that Rebel Wilson is now in a relationship with a woman. So glad she waited until pride month to let us all know.

Attention whores.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depressing to see the comments that she's the bad guy here. should she not be able to talk about it?

So based on no evidence at all, every fellow she ever worked with is going to be accused of being a predator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

From the name i see being mentioned i for one believe her.

Yes. She is the bad guy. She has cast a cloud of accusation upon any man she has worked with. Either be specific or clear innocent men's names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don't know what a sexual predator is. Someone who uses threats to reputation, career, good name ? to get sex, Or Someone who fcuks everything in sight and doesn't call her again and she feels humiliated. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It will all come out in the wash, don't blame the whistle blower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

From 8out of 10 cats does Countdown there's 1 really creepy fcuker but he's gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think a sexual predator is maybe some one gets young women drunk has sex with them.or gives them illegal drugs, especially women who are much younger than him like he's 30, they are 18, eg he has sex with women probably against their will. I find it strange though when a 21 year old man is dating a 17 year old girl. The laws in the UK about defamation are much stricter than America. Jimmy Savile was abusing young women for 20 years plus before he was publicly accused of anything. It's strange because she has been on 3 TV comedy shows and she worked with him at least a few days. To be accurate she says it's a comedian so that does not include everyone she works with.

If she has no proof she could be sued for naming him

It's called going Instagram official eg you appear on insta as a couple, and every famous person does it now,

Every actor has to be on Instagram to promote whatever the latest TV show, film they are in now

It's obvious she can't name him as she could be at risk of being called a trouble maker and losing tv work. Many actors have been removed from various American TV shows after being accused of sexual harassment

Post edited by riclad on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Honestly, I think throwing the cat amongst the pigeons is rather reckless.

Years ago, Ulrika Jonsson spoke about being raped by a prominent male figure at the place she worked (as part of her biography), then some TV show named her alleged rapist as then TV presenter John Leslie... and his career was over. And his life... was destroyed.

Didn't matter that a thorough investigation was launched, as well as court proceedings, and Leslie's name cleared... he was done.

Jonsson could have said 'he didn't assault me'... but she had a book to promote and sell, and this created interest in the book.

Creating this kind of controversy... allegations. Seems really dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Seeing Russell Brand being mentioned a lot.

Surprised it wasn't Jim Jeffries who was mentioned. LOTS of creepy behaviour on his part. He even joked about it.

(plying a 17 year old with drugs, for one, just so he could sleep with her)

She isn't a whistle blower. She is a dog whistler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

breaking news; every man she's ever met has had his show cancelled/been fired from his job.

anyway this basically boils down to two options: 1. you disbelieve her (and i reckon you'd be a fool not to believe her). 2. you believe her, but think she should keep her mouth shut; i.e. that unless women are willing to name the people in question, they shouldn't talk about it.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

The sad thing is, many Irish comedians were called out for being predators/ rapists. A few comediennes spoke about the harassment they faced, as well as their own rapes.

I know James Veitch was called out by many women. Back when he did a post-grad in Sarah Lawrence. Doubt that was the only place he was predatory.

And there was a few articles about the UK comedy scene regarding predatory behaviours. Comedians got called out, many of whom claimed to be feminists.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8486409/British-comedy-stars-accused-sexual-harassment.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t even know what predatory behaviour is supposed to be as opposed to opportunistic behaviour.

Handy that nobody can be sure what she is actually referring to because she provided just enough information to kick start the rumour mill.

I wonder is that fuelled by the YouTube clip where Carr asks her what's the worst thing said behind her back, and she is sitting next to Brand at the time?

All speculation at the moment.

Why would anyone, who doesn't personally know her, be a fool for not believing her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Incredibly irresponsible doing this kind of "admission" - just fuels rampant speculation and can ruin innocent peoples lives and careers. This is the beginning of a witchhunt that could end up burning the wrong person at the stake.

Let the police handle it, not a trial by media

men: 'this is terrible! innocent mens lives could be affected! hand wring!'

also men: 'ooh, i wonder if it's X, he was on show A with her? or Y, she doesn't seem to like him. or Z, she's not appeared on telly with him since 2018'.

my opinion on this is somewhat - i wouldn't say tainted, i'll use the word flavoured - by the fact that my wife was sexually harrassed twice by a known irish celebrity, on the street in dublin. as in approaching her, asking her about her sex life, asking was she into bondage, that sort of thing. obviously i'm not going to name him here, but that's the sort of **** some of these creeps get up to and you can be damn sure i don't think women should be told to keep quiet about the issue, unless they name names.

people mention going to the police - i doubt the gardai would have done a thing about it had my wife reported it. his word against hers, etc.

So you think women should just go around and say "I know a sexual predator but I'm not saying who"?

What good does that do? Who does it benefit exactly?

But you are right, the police wouldn't have done anything about someone asking if your wife was into bondage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You absolutely should have made a report.

Maybe it wouldnt have gone anywhere, or maybe it would. The complaint would have been noted, and maybe enough other people who were harassed by this person also reported it, each report adds to the credibility of the last.

You cant decry the ineffective garda/justice system but then at the same time, not even report anything to them? How do you expect the gardai to do anything if they dont even get a chance? They cannot act if you dont report it to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I do wish the “usual suspects” wouldn’t be in such a rush to jump to the defence of this male predatory sex pest.

We don’t have any concrete details, as yet. It could turn out to be a, self declared, “male feminist” or a person of colour. Someone they would only love to pillory, and condemn.

You don’t want to have to backtrack and, suddenly, start supporting this woman. Patience is a virtue.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The truth is a defence in libel and I doubt she'd have much trouble crowd-funding any fees if she was sued. If it's meant to be common knowledge then make it properly common knowledge.

this happened over 20 years ago; my wife was a student in trinity at the time. whatever chance of anything happening now, i suspect then the gardai would have ignored her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement