Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

What are you on about?

the welfare state is a good thing but some families being allowed to become dependant fully on welfare is completely wrong and is the states fault

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And I do agree, unfortunately and as you can see on this Thread , some see the word's SW Bonus and it's like a red flag to a bull.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I don't and won't defend those who've become dependent through laziness but I'll absolutely defend those entitled to a SW Support through contributions paid and those who've lost jobs along with those on illness and disability payments.

The problem with these , Nasty Vile threads like this , the Narrative always subtle but intent very obvious , the Thread Title says it all .

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Easily could

eliminate non Irish workers and many towns in Ireland would have more people claiming dole, carers and disability or some other government benefit than actually work.

there is many families who run the careers disability combo scam and this will be handed down the generations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I work for an NGO , posting from my cruiser in the Mediterranean.

• Advertisement

Again, Disability allowance is by far the most difficult payment to get approval on, requiring detailed medical reports, perhaps it wasn't difficult historically to get but I can assure you, over recent years it's extremely difficult to get awarded this payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No need for the bold font , albeit impressive

There is unfortunately - the new Boards.ie layout is shyte and one cannot part quote and form a point around it.

A. We're does it mention JSA in the Thread Header 🤔

Where does it mention WFP, Disability, etc... Dole is a common slang name for JSA

B. Have you actually read some of the absurd comments and unless I've missed something this is another SW bashing Thread

I briefly do and skip to the comments that are worth engaging with

C. 370k household are on FA, again, you may not be aware, that includes pensioners, People on Disability, Some on JSA (After 15 months) ,NONE on illness benefit and none on JSB

As pointed out in the response to you last time - there are over 65K long term JSA recipients, so I have excused the other ~300K as being on the payments you mention - did you miss that?

D. I can absolutely claim welfare fraud is tiny in the context of the over all budget and incidentally the most high-profile cases actually involved pension fraud, PUP fraud, not jobseekers Allowance fraud.

No, you have not. Your language suggests you might be able to - perhaps your employment position offers insight into the workings of the department? - but as of yet you have not produced anything to back up your repeated assertion that fraud levels in the JSA payments are tiny. It's no more anecdotal than those on here who say its more widespread. Though from the outset there are alot more people saying it's more widespread than just you saying it's tiny - so over to you.

E. It is an insult to working people who literally depend on social welfare and HAP supports, both of which are heavily means tested.

No it's not. Anyone working and depending on supports a.k.a. the working poor are likely to be pi$$ed off that those on long-term JSA are being suggested for a summer "bonus" on top of recently getting an additional €100 fuel payment. Not withstanding that these long-term JSA recipients are also "entitled" to medical cards too. Many of the working poor cannot get medical cards because they earn more than the paltry thresholds:

How much you can earn and still qualify for a medical card - HSE.ie

Married, co-habiting couple/single parent family aged up to 65 with dependents: €266.50 for medical card and €441 for GP visit card

Anyone working and bringing in €442 take home per week to feed a family is pretty much mandated to take out private health insurance or take a chance that their guts stay in good nick 'till they hit 70 years of age.

Back to you , but I'm off to bed.

Do, and have a good think about the reality on the ground about proposals for Summer Bonuses for the Dole while the rest of us working hard go swing and pay through the nose via the stealth taxes required to keep feeding the welfare machine.

Someone posted it earlier, we have approx, 65k long-term (over 12 months) unemployed in this country. Out of a labour force of approximately 2.5 million people. Perspective. That's what the posters with veins popping out of their foreheads are getting bent out of shape about.

There should be nobody on long-term JSA in a jobs rich country that we are currently experiencing. Over a year on JSA and it should be mandatory to be on a community employment and/or retraining programme. Money for nothing should be stamped out. Too much of the "ah shure it'll be grand" attitude.

And I want a house made out of lollipops and rainbows. Every developed country you care to name has long-term unemployed, and with more acute problems on this front than Ireland. Welcome to planet earth, and welcome to reality. I want zero crime and zero road deaths too. Do you think I'll ever live to see the day? Or should I reconcile myself that we'll always see a certain level of both while working towards minimising it.

Once again, people are giving themselves brain aneurysms over 65k people out of a labour force of 2.5 million. We don't have a significant long-term unemployment issue in this country, both in absolute terms, and relative to peer countries, despite what the people covering their devices in spittle posting might be dreaming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I haven't read the full thread so this might have already been addressed, but here goes anyway.

If you're long-term unemployed, paying reduced rent in a council house or receiving HAP, have a medical card and extra payments for dependents you can live quite comfortably on social welfare.

If you've been working, have a mortgage or pay full market rate rent, no medical card or additional payments you would struggle on the PUP.

The 2 situations aren't comparable.

There goes the "ah shure it'll be grand" attitude I mentioned.

Anyone on Jobseekers for over 12 months should be forced to either work on Community Employment Schemes or retrain.

The attitude should be that you have to do something productive to heat and eat.

Long term welfare should be the reserve of those who can't work. And they should be offered better supports in some instances.

Ok Bill Cullen. I look forward to your latest book. I'm sure "The case for forced labour in the 21st century" will be a major hit at bookstands nationwide.

Do you think it is acceptable for people to be on JSA for years and even decades?

You know right well that it's not a case for forced labour. There is always the option to end a claim for JSA, isn't there?

About 7k people in receipt of jobseekers for over a decade. These people likely have mental health or substance abuse issues. Not ideal but I'm not losing sleep about 7 thousand people in a labour force of 2.5 million. Foam at the mouth about these people all you want, but you've completely overstated the scale of the issue. I'd rather that cohort of people get healthy and well in mind and body before putting them on the streets or through some General Pinochet inspired forced workhouse scheme.

Perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Scroungers gonna scrounge.

Layabouts gonna lay.

That number is a waste of time.

What are unemployment rate doesn't take account of is anyone who "can't" partake in it.

And the majority of those scroungers you see clogging up social housing or pushing a small child in a Biggie with another 3 U6 in tow (smoking a fag)...you know those ones?.

None of them are included as they're all on Carers Allowance, Disability Allowance, OFP etc..

So no matter what number we hear, it's nothing to be proud about as that doesn't take account of about 95% of the career bums who are born in and die in that lucrative system (you can have a comfortable life if you throw out a few kids to jump the housing list, and boost your weekly payments between CDAs and Child Benefit, add in the possibility for you to get Carers and Domiciliary and some of these are pulling in e500-700 a week).

This post reminds of this scene from Anchorman

"Those numbers don't take into account households with two television sets...and... other things of that nature"

You've got a facts processing problem my friend, and you're powered by anger and no little bitterness.

What fact have I missed?.

It is a fact that our unemployment rate isn't a good measure when it disregards a huge majority of the life long scroungers.

There are very few habituatal wasters on Jobseekers or working, so theyre not included in the labour force.

That is a fact.

😂

Go to bed. It's late and by the sounds of things you've got to be productive tommorow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Nutn but snakes in dis thread.

Spare me the sanctamony, it's clear what your agenda is, pretending you don't have a chip on your shoulder about those on SW supports. You paint every one, regardless of their circumstances and on a SW support as being almost akin to vermin.

You've showed nothing but your true colors and clearly have not a clue how the SW System works.

Read the Thread Title title and bizzare posts which might help you determine this is nothing more than SW Bashing regardless of people's circumstances.

OP Anticipated they'll get lots of reaction to suit their bizzare and ill informed notions, hasn't quite worked out that way.

Absolutely and well said, for some inexplicable and disturbing reason there's a small cohort in Irish Society that need to kick people when they are down and because of a small number of high profile cases automatically assume everyone on SW is playing the system, Lazy and beneath contempt.

Absolutely, have a debate, analyse what's going on but these threads as its title suggests and along with other threads have only one intention, Spew false information and spread hateful commentary.

People forget there are users of Boards, struggling and perhaps in desperate circumstances through no fault of theirs reading bile like what's being posted in these nasty threads and they care not a Jot about how comments may affect others. It's disgusting.

I spent almost two years trying to help users on Boards, navigate challenges during the Pandemic, primarily the PUP payment, understanding entitlements, directing people to advice centres, Ordinary, Decent people who found themselves unemployed for the first time in their lives who went on to develop other personal challenges. I'm no expert but took the time to research and help along with more experienced posters to try and help people.

The bile I witnessed at time was shocking but thankfully many people bounced back and were greatful for the little, I and other users did.

That awful Cliché "We're all in this Together" was infact the greatest lie to come out of the Pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

What could we do to get rid of this 65k person drain on public finances?

Where do they live? They wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage or private rents they must have some sort of free housing . How many free houses are non contributors taking up?

I have asked you as you are sharing around the 65k person fact. You might have access to the details.

Fascinating an article quoted from 2021, not withstanding a global pandemic in full swing the issues surrounding long term unemployment are extremely complex and not as you seem to think, Black and white.

Of course there's a cohort who just have no intention of working (what society doesn't) but to assume all on long term JSA don't want to work is a stretch. Some of this cohert maybe bordeline unfit to work but don't qualify for disability, Some may have limited abilities to interact, engage, Some may have criminal backgrounds, convictions meaning they find it impossible to gain employment, some may be one CE schemes, some may have no transport, there's just too many variables at play to say one way or another all long term unemployed Don't want to work.

If the Department, determine after numerous attempts a person is a lost cause or perhaps just don't have to abilities or qualifications to obtain employment or a person is Just unemployable because of past History, they don't move people onto Disibility or non Jobseekers payments, every medically related SW payment has to go through a strict review process and medical sign off.

Wether people like it or not, every society will have long term unemployment and the reasons for it very, very, very complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Live Register May 2022

Table 6: 65,678 on the Live Register more than a year

It seems hard to believe that all 66,000 of these people are genuine, given the widespread labour shortages, and refugees able to get jobs within days of arriving.

Also, there are 40,000 construction workers on the Live Register!!!!!

Craft and related = 21,076

Plant and machine operatives = 18,625

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Moving 50,000 of the long-term JSA people into employment would benefit everybody.

More output

Lower JSA expenditure = 500m

More tax revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭French Toast

Summer bonus. Christ.

There are people lounging in the social welfare safety net as though it were a hammock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can people in receipt of JSB (not JSA or Illness etc) receive any other income other than the €208?

• Advertisement

Complex, technically no for those on a FULL JSB/A payment, however some may be on a CE or job activation program that offers a top up, some may only be clawing reduced hours jobseekers payment (actually the numbers quoted by some don't factor in many who are recieved partial payments) as for illness benefit, the guidelines very clear, a recipient cannot work but may get sick pay also from an employer with the IB payment deducted.

Like everything SW Related, not everything is straightforward and as I mentioned earlier, those on IB or JSB are not entitled to Fuel allowance or payments some think the department just throws at people.

Advertisement