Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Where in the linked article or interview does she admit to lying? Please point us to the exact text or time reference in the video or it would appear you are the one spreading blatant lies.

At most she says that she used exaggerated language in some parts, but there is no suggestion in the linked text that she made stuff up herself rather than that the reports she passed on may not have been not independently verified.

No comment from you on the rapes that have been documented by other investigators in Bucha?

I'm going to copy and paste the text because nowhere does it say she lied or made up these 'terrible things'.

I argued - and the media agreed with me - why we need to talk about war crimes. Because when, for example, I spoke in the Italian parliament at the Committee on International Affairs, I heard and saw such fatigue from Ukraine, you know? I talked about terrible things in order to somehow push them to make the decisions that Ukraine and the Ukrainian people need. There ( in Italy - SK ) there is a party "Five Stars", which was against the provision of weapons to us, but after my speech, one of the party leaders expressed support for Ukraine, said that they will support, including the provision weapons...

I told the media word for word what was told to me by psychologists who worked on the UNICEF psychological support line, which has already completed its work - May 15 was the last day. I conveyed everything that the applicants wanted to say to society and the world; that the enemies, the Russian Federation, be punished. Yes, then this vocabulary was very harsh, we discussed it ( with the media. - SK ), I said that, indeed, maybe I exaggerated. But I tried to achieve the goal of convincing the world to provide weapons and pressure ( on Russia. - SK). I met with Pramila Patten, the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict - we work according to UN protocols and clearly to PACE, UN Human Rights Council resolutions, which clearly state what sexual violence is.

There seems to be some murky internal Ukranian political maneuverings going on, there was an attempt to remove her from office last Autumn.

https://www.dw.com/en/why-ukraines-human-rights-chief-lyudmila-denisova-was-dismissed/a-62017920

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SomewhereInTheMiddle

There were talks among Russians, they're hoping Putin would rebuild conquered territories just like he did it in Chechnya ~20 years ago. But would they?..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

It's a strategically insignificant area and reads more of a PR exercise than any actual tactical gain.

Whereas the Russian advances in the East are dismantling the most fortified defensive lines Ukraine has built.

If those 2 brits are actually "regular Ukrainian army" and not 'mercenaries', than Britain has no role here.

Of course we all know this is just a pedantic ruse. They fought in Syria for the YPG, were they regulars there too? How very convenient for-hire mercenaries get to swap out uniforms and countries at will and enjoy international protections where ever their flights of fantasy take them.

Let's bookmark this and return in a couple weeks to see how things have progressed.

• Advertisement

They are members of the regular Ukranian army.

A war crime being committed involving their citizens means Britain are involved.

Remarkable how you ignore any comment directed to you on the Wagner Group and Russia's use of mercenaries.

Or you know, any of Russia's war crimes.

Your citing the Wagner Group is what they call, whataboutism. Which is frowned upon across quite a number of discussions on boards.ie

It's not whatboutery when we are talking about mercenaries in the conflict area.

So your rather obvious and lame attempt to deflect when a comparable question is put to you.

I put it to you again - you comment about these captured Ukranian soldiers (note that is how I described them as they are not mercenaries), yet when it comes to the Wagner Group it is see no evil, hear no evil.

So once again:

Remarkable how you ignore any comment directed to you on the Wagner Group and Russia's use of mercenaries yet are quick to jump in throwing out accusations of mercenaries against Ukraine.

What is documented and proven - is a hard fact.

But does 3 vs 25 cases sound as "exaggerated in some parts" for you?

She's an official body and she definitely made a huge mistake, as the leaders of other countries will begin to withhold aid next time when it is needed again.

Also watch her answer on the video I've provided - I don't see any direct response to the question on the claims she's made. Before claiming such things, investigations should take place, not just "You know, there was a number of calls...".

I don't know anything about them, they sound like mercenaries.

Very much like the 2 Brits sentenced by the DPR.

• Advertisement

You are posting on a thread about the Ukraine war, have been reading this thread and you don't know anything about the Wagner Group? Right.

Here's a chance to educate yourself:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60947877

Let's dial it back it bit. Where does she admit to lying?

It was the headline you led with in your post.

So either specify the quote from her in text or video timeframe, or we can conclude that was a lie you posted.

She has explained where her information came from, from UNICEF help line for victims of sexual abuse.

Now maybe she made the information up, maybe the people phoning the help line made it up, maybe some or all of the people who phoned the help line did not want to engage in legal prosecution process. There are probably statistics out there on the % of abused women who come forwards.

But nowhere in the text and video that you linked as evidence did she "admit to lying". So why are you claiming that she did?

There are documented cases of sexual abuse during the Russian occupation by Russian troops. How do you suggest you prove these accusations in a time of war when the Russian troops are no longer there? Do you accept the cases documented by Bucha prosecutors of Russian war crimes?

Post edited by odyssey06 on

For-hire Mercenaries in my opinion, whether Russian ones, British ones, American ones or Ukrainian ones; are generally bad and should not be afforded the same protections as other combatants IMHO.

Spare me your little Brit propaganda article, it has no currency.

I won't spare you articles that reveal the depth of your ignorance on what is happening.

If you don't know who the Wagner Group are after 100 days of the conflict, and the amount of coverage of them in the press and on boards.ie threads, then you are ignorant of the basics of what is going on.

"Spare me your little Brit propaganda article", nope, we won't let you getaway with see no evil hear no evil head in the sand approach to justify your pro Russian posts.

Very easy to throw out slogans like "Brit propaganda article."

How about reading the article and telling us what information contained in it is false and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Britain and Ireland are failed states because their policies led to an ethnic civil war in the north of the island. Myyanmar is-obviously -a failed state. India and Pakistan are failed states because their policies led to an ethnic civil war in Kashmir. Mexico is a failed state because its policies led to an narco civil war in several states. China is a failed state because its policies led to a rebellion and a genocide in the west of the country. Turkey is a failed state because its policies led to an ethnic civil war in the east of the country.Israel is a failed state because its policies have led to an ethnic civil war in the country. Nigeria is a failed state because its policies led to an ethnic civil war in the north of the country.The Phillippines is a failed state because its policies once led to an ethnic civil war in the south of the country. Armenia and Azerbaijan are failed states because their policies led to an ethnic civil war.

Russia is a failed state because its policies led to an ethnic civil war in Chechyna and Dagestan.

Post edited by ilkhanid on

Now maybe she made the information up, maybe the people phoning the help line made it up, maybe some or all of the people who phoned the help line did not want to engage in legal prosecution process. There are probably statistics out there on the % of abused women who come forwards.

Sorry, but all these "maybes" and "probablies" are not constructive.

Again, she's an official body. Of course, she wanted to get help from other countries, but she admitted: "indeed, maybe I exaggerated" - this is a lie to get more weapon support. And she's risking to not get help next time because of her lies.

Ok, for your pleasure, let's say "25 vs 3 actually confirmed cases" was just a bit "exaggerated", but would it help to raise the trust in their words next time? That's what I'm trying to say.

Do you accept the cases documented by Bucha prosecutors of Russian war crimes?

As I said before - what's documented - is a hard fact. Of course I accept this! I'm not trying to downplay the sizes of crimes of any of sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobowen

They are over the river now and closing in on Slavyansk from 3 directions. Popasna has fallen and they are very close to completely surrounding Zolote with 3,000 Ukrainian soldiers trapped. Once the highway which they already have under fire control is cut off Lysychansk will be surrounded like Mariupol was.

Can you not see the change in rhetoric from the Guardian and Washington Post? A month ago they were declaring the imminent demise of the Russian forces now they have totally changed tack. Two opinion pieces in the Guardian appeared this week to inform people like you who only trust heavily biased western media sources that Ukraine will not win this war. Once the guardian stops its propaganda pieces you know the game is up and they can't spin the lie that Ukraine is winning any longer.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/09/west-victory-in-ukraine-escalation-war

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/09/it-is-in-the-best-interests-of-ukraine-and-the-west-to-end-this-war-as-soon-as-possible

When is there ever evidence that you will believe?

She was fired for lying by the endemic lie machine that is the Ukrainian government. You can't get more guilty than that. Get ready to see more and more of the lies of the first 6 weeks of the war being exposed as the lack of evidence for the crazy claims comes to the fore.

Poster posts a link to an article and video in which they claim person admits to lying.

Nowhere in the article and video does the person admit to lying.

The best they can find is that the person may have used exaggerated, so then it becomes subjective, is an exaggeration a lie?

Does not deny that sexual assaults by Russian troops occurred in the occupied zone.

It's pretty clear which is the bigger lie that's going on and that's the attempt to cover up Russian war crimes.

Someone who uses a phrase like "endemic lie machine" about the Ukranian government, while believing every lie put out by the Russians has no credibility.

Do you remember the lies that Russia weren't going to invade? They would never launch a full invasion of Ukraine?

Yep, all those lies about denazification, all those lies about protecting ethnic Russian and the origins of the conflict in Donbas, all those lies about concern about NATO expansion. Putin just came clean. This is about "taking back what's theirs". An imperial land grab.

So if you want to talk about an endemic lie machine, you've been repeating its output on this thread.

• Advertisement

It's not whataboutism, it's showing up why your 'failed state' definition is absolute nonsense. An attempt at language deception with clever phrasing that doesn't stand up to any kind of political or historical scrutiny or comparison.

After WWII France established a new constitution and a Forth Republic.

France (the 3rd Republic) was infact, a failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

How long do you think Russia would last if it had not got nuclear weapons. Or how long do you think Russia would last if it did not takeALL the nuclear weapons from Ukrin 1991 . Short answer please if possible

It is well known that many victims of sexual assault do not come forward. I consider it entirely possible women may phone a helpline after abuse and may for example access medical treatment but will not go through a legal or reporting process. This is a possibility that must be considered and it is "constructive" to point this out.

I don't disagree with this phrasing re: impacts of being found to have exaggerated (should that in fact be the case) but I still hold firm to opinion it is a world of difference away from "admitting she lied".

Wow. You still believe that "Trap" theory. What kind of trap involves walking cannon fodder into a cauldron encirclement and then retreating the same day?

Where are you getting your information from by the way? Popasna fell weeks ago. Here is a pro ukrainian website with a map of the war. Even they admit Popasna is gone.

https://liveuamap.com/

By that definition, the USSR was a failed state and any other country could legitimately invade its remnants? Because that seems to be your implication. Which is also, utterly without any moral or intellectual or political justification.

Your definition of failed state is so absurd, we can keep this up all day finding ridiculous examples to demonstrate it.

What are you talking about. Russia has been a nuclear power since 1949. Are you trying to create a hypothetical scenario involving time travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ah now theyve pushed well on past Popasna, its their biggest breakthrough on the old DPR/LPR border. The border is the most fortified part of the Ukrainian defence also - just look at how much of that original defensive line is still intact. It's like a WWI battlefield, trenches and no mans' lands.

Russians since reached the main Bakhmut/Lysychansk highway on one side, are pushing toward Bakhmut itself on the other, and on the north side are pushing towards Zolote along one bank of the river. Its one of the few areas they saw a breakthrough in the last month, which has now near stalled.

Likewise with Izyum they have since pushed well south and west of it, but are now starting to stall.

Since taking Liman they havent made any real gains, but up to that point they were albeit slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

On that link that bo posted, if you click on 'Time' at the top right you can click back to previous dates and see how Russia have become bogged down in the Severdonetsk area over the last month. Battles are won with weapons, wars are won with logistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

God , you are a gas man. Will you get up the yard and stay there. You would be an ideal subject for anyone considering doing a PHD on ‘ deflection , whataboutary,, misinformation, creating division, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc , keeping away from the core issue , etc,etc, etc, etc.

Advertisement