Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobby Horses of Belief (and assorted hazards)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Someone desperate for staff who neglects to do background checks. They are out there.

How did she ever get past Arthur Cox screening? Bit of an indictment of their processes

I imagine her academic qualifications are top notch, and she came across well in an interview.

If she hadn't gotten the job there probably would have been complaints of discrimination by considering say her family or religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I love the claim that the family are highly thought of in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 34,697 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So will the Burkes be withdrawing the nasty accusations they made about the adjudicator.......?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You still do not need to hire them. You just ignore the cv or tell them that they were not successful on this occasion. You don't say 'sorry you did not get the job because you and your family are religious litigious weirdos'.

Arthur Cox are the architects of their own downfall here.

• Advertisement

An inquest into the death of Sally Maaz, the 17-year-old Co. Mayo student who passed away while an inpatient at Mayo University Hospital two years ago, concluded in disorder on Monday afternoon as three members of the public were removed from the courtroom by gardaí.

Martina Burke, along with a son, Josiah, and a daughter, Jemima, loudly shouted questions and comments from the body of Swinford Courthouse after the Coroner for Mayo returned a verdict of death from natural causes.

While in hospital, Ms Maaz was diagnosed with Covid-19. Covid was diagnosed as the medical cause of her death.

After the Coroner for Mayo, Pat O’Connor returned a verdict of death from natural causes, Burke family members heckled the coroner claiming the proceedings were “a disgrace” and that the Maaz family had been “deceived” by gardaí.

So we can add Covid denial to the list of crazy?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So we can add Covid denial to the list of crazy?

I'd say go for it - but keep the crazy list open.

Speaking of crazy... this is well into bat-excreta territory.

Lia Fáil (named after Lia Fáil the "Stone of Destiny") was a minor political party and movement in Ireland during the 1950s and 60s. It espoused an extremist far right populist agrarian ideology mostly driven by the party's founder and leader Father John Fahy.

The last issue of the Lia Fáil newspaper was published in September 1960. In it, the paper imagines a world where the Lia Fáil party has achieved its goals. In this world Lia Fáil has abolished the Oireachtas, drafted a new constitution, frozen the banks, decoupled the Irish Punt from the British Pound, outlawed emigration, introduced mandatory military service, abolished both the Garda Siochána and the Civil Service and sent those former employees to work on the land alongside 500,000 other young men returned to Ireland from aboard. All members of Fianna Fáil, including De Valera, have been captured, tried, found guilty and sentenced to death, with their corpses left hanging in Dublin as a warning to others. Irish partition has ended, with Lia Fáil having destroyed the United Kingdom with a nuclear-armed airforce and nuclear-armed submarines.

All sounds a bit Khmer Rua.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Something I agree with Marjorie Taylor Greene about. The RCC is run by Satan. She has different reasons though:

https://www.salon.com/2022/04/27/marjorie-taylor-greene-to-right-wing-catholic-site-how-come-god-hasnt-destroyed-america/

mutter won't imbed articles mutter boards mutter...

Oh, I'm sure if Satan existed he could find few better employment opportunities.

• Advertisement

Not wishing to clog up the etherwaves in this forum with too much on the horror taking place in Ukraine, here's a short clip translated by Julia Davis and her team who are well-known and reliable observers of the media in Russia - which at this point, are required to deliver an endless stream of hardcore, projective propaganda. Davis's twitter feed has plenty of examples, all the more since February 24, but this clip here is memorable for being, I believe, the first to suggest that if RUGov nukes somebody else and there's a nuclear response, then at least any radioactive particles originally belonging to Russian citizens will go straight to heaven.

Ukrainians well-disposed to Russia, who at this point can only be the tiniest percentage, refer to this process politely as зомбификация, 'zombification'. While RUGov soldiers are referred to generally as 'orcs' and Russia, frequently as 'Mordor', one of many old Soviet-era gags to have resurfaced in recent years and months.

Klanmama, like a good Trumpist, when criticized, doubles down - "Just so we’re clear, bishops, when I said ‘controlled by Satan,’ I wasn’t talking about the Catholic Church. I was talking about you.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/04/marjorie-taylor-greene-catholic-church-militant-satan.html

MTG calling out the Church for its laughable job with the priest sexual abuse scandals... priceless.

Two former trustees of a non-denominational church have failed to have their bankruptcies annulled by the High Court.

Brendan and Sheila Hade were trustees for the Victory Christian Fellowship (‘VCF’) and were adjudicated bankrupt in 2019 arising out of default on a €2.2 million loan advanced to them in 2008 by Bank of Scotland.

The couple, along with another man, as trustees of the VCF, had also been advanced €17.6 million by the same bank to build a “new church and centre” on lands at Firhouse Road in south Dublin.

Was the Bank of Scotland on drugs?

In December 2013, the High Court entered judgment against them in favour of the bank for €18.5 million in relation to that loan.

The bank sold their own loan to Feniton Property Finance in 2016 and applied to have them adjudicated bankrupt on the basis of €1.8 million still due.

Before this however, the bank called in receivers over two properties they owned, including their home at Rockbrook Rathfarnham, Dublin, which had been used as security for the €2.2 million loan.

If they get an annulment of the bankruptcy, they can, in their own right, bring proceedings over what they said was the unfair treatment by the bank in 2013 when it called in receivers.

The appointment of receivers had followed the loss of VCF’s charitable status over its entitlement to claim relief from VAT on various items purchased for use in the construction of the new church.

Although they exited bankruptcy in 2019, in order to bring proceedings they still need the permission of the court-appointed official, the Official Assignee (OA), who oversaw their bankruptcy. The OA’s position is that he is willing to discuss the possibility of allowing such proceedings to be brought if they failed in seeking an annulment.

Feniton opposed the annulment application.

The Hades, in affidavits, said when the bankruptcy process began they sought “guidance, help and solace within our church and its congregation”.

Hades.... LOL

Due to “our state of mind and health at that time” they discharged their lawyers and withdrew “into our spiritual home of our ongoing church at Victory Christian Fellowship”, they said.

The ostrich approach never works.

They did so because of the extreme difficulties they found themselves in and due to “the pressure we were no longer able to endure”. Media coverage of the problems at VCF also caused them enormous distress and caused them to adopt a “certain stance” to legal matters, the court heard.

Among their arguments for annulment, was a discrepancy in the amount of the debt cited in the bankruptcy summons of €63 and this was fatal to the validity of such applications.

€63? I should probably post this in the Freeman thread, it's right up there with "give me a free gaff because the bank put a comma in the wrong place"

Feniton said it was a clerical error due to a simple inadvertent transposition of two digits in relation to the calculation of interest. The interest was put at €90,907.93 when it should have been €90,970.93, it said.

So they were letting them off the €63 🤣

Mr Justice Mark Sanfey dismissed their annulment application.

He had sympathy for the predicament of the couple, who are both of an advanced age.

However, he said “they chose not to fight their corner in the courts, but now want the court to come to their aid and set at nought” the efforts of Feniton to realise the value of their estates with a view to recovering the debt.

He said it was difficult to see how such a course of action could be “just and equitable” to Feniton, or to other creditors as a whole.

The total sum due, inclusive of interest, was some €1.8 million and this was the correct amount, the judge said. The Hades could have discharged this sum but did not do so and did not avail of their right to do so during the bankruptcy proceedings and did not contest that hearing, he said.

He said “a few minutes with a calculator” would have made it clear to them the €63 discrepancy “was most likely a clerical error and that the demanded sum on the bankruptcy summons itself was correct”.

He did not consider the particulars annexed to the bankruptcy summons invalidated the summons itself, which had demanded the correctly calculated amount of the debt.

Help help I'm being oppressed.

A Catholic couple say they will go to jail rather than pay a €300 fine for travelling 70km to attend mass during lockdown.

"I will go to jail before I pay it. I would rather go to jail, without a shadow of a doubt," Jim told the Sunday World this week.

"I have no intention of paying them a fine for me going to mass - for doing what I have done my whole life."

Jim's evidence before Cavan District Court saw him launch an impassioned defence of his religion.

"Catholic lives matter," he insisted.

🙄

Judge Finnegan responded that he "wholeheartedly" agreed with the sentiment but it did not absolve the couple from the fact they had broken the law.

He fined them both €300, giving them three months to pay.

"You are not a judge," Jim retorted as he stepped down from the witness stand.

"Jesus would be ashamed of you!"

Pope Frank having words with Archprelate Rolex. Seems Rolex forgot all that Jeebud peace stuff. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/04/europe/pope-francis-patriarch-kirill-ukraine-invasion-intl/index.html

Soon-to-be-ex-DAA CEO talks about how Gawd inspires his work, blah blah:

🤢🤮

I didn't realise arch-smugness was also a core Christian value!

From the Morrison's Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrisons

Following a new three-year corporate strategy revealed in March 2014 aimed at recovering sales and market share, at Morrisons Annual General Meeting in June 2014, Morrisons former chairman Sir Ken Morrison blasted Dalton Philips and his new board of directors for destroying the company he inherited from his father; Morrison remarked on Philips's strategy to save the failing supermarket from the pressures of Aldi and other discounter stores, stating "When I left work and started working as a hobby, I chose to raise cattle. I have something like 1,000 bullocks and, having listened to your presentation, Dalton, you've got a lot more bull **** than me."

2,600 people lost their jobs.

YT Comment:

Please do not put him in charge of entry to heaven after his chaotic time as CEO Of DAA where he was responsible for long queues with 1000 people missing their,flights on one day in May 2022 . It’s hard enough to get to heaven without him in charge of the entry point.

Just another example of the pervasiveness of the RCC in Irish life and how much of a bad thing that is. Similar to this knob are the rank-and-file admins of the HSE - the highest percentage of them in Europe - whose main qualification appears to be RCC membership or endorsement. Uneducated, untalented and lazy, but members of the cult. So, they get jobs, their rellies get jobs, etc.

He went to a so-called "public school" in England so there's a strong chance he kicks for the other team. You're probably not wrong though in relation to higher up hospital admin staff (who aren't HSE employees, but we still pay 'em). Bertie used to be a clerk at the Mater, his kickback to them decades later was the attempt to shoehorn the new National Children's Hospital into a completely unsuitable site on its grounds. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if a letter from the local PP got him the clerk job...

De Burkes again.

The Workplace Relations Commission official in charge of solicitor Ammi Burke’s unfair dismissal case last month considered the option of calling gardaí in to remove her mother from the hearing room so the case could continue – but ruled it out.

Ms Burke’s complaint under the Unfair Dismissals Act against Arthur Cox LLC was thrown out last month.

In a written decision on the case published this morning, adjudicating officer Kevin Baneham wrote that “sustained and deliberate obstruction and disruptions” by Martina Burke prevented a key defence witness from being sworn in.

In the decision published today, he wrote: “I warned the complainant and escalated the warnings throughout the day. Unfortunately, the complainant did not desist with her objections and Mr Moore could not swear the oath, nor commence his evidence,” Mr Baneham wrote.

He was left with various options, he wrote.

The swearing of an oath requires “a moment of solemnity” which would be impossible with someone speaking over Mr Moore, he wrote.

“Writing metaphorically,” he added, “issuing a summons for the sole reason of placating a party or allowing a party to hector the swearing in and evidence of a witness effectively amount to the defenestration of the adjudication officer” and the “extinguishment” of his authority “for all the world to see”.

Another option was to have gardaí attend the hearing room to remove Mrs Burke, he wrote.

“Whatever of the Circuit Court or the District Court (which both deal with heavy criminal lists), it would be completely at odds for the Workplace Relations Commission to have gardaí attend Lansdowne House to exclude a person,” he wrote, and this would also have “undermined public confidence in the hearing”.

The only options left were to adjourn the matter or dismiss it entirely, he wrote.

In light of what had gone on so far, he believed another hearing day would have “rehearsed the exact same impasse”, he wrote, and opted to dismiss the complaint.

“I had discharged my statutory functions and I could not find against the respondent as the respondent had not been afforded fair procedures,” he wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

I await the usual people jumping in to defend the extremists ...

• Advertisement

ok so tell us how many cinemas in Ireland have banned it? some people have a muslim obsession even though (thanks be to fúck) that religion has no influence over the state-funded education and health systems here, meanwhile the catholic elephant in the room in conveniently ignored as usual

Right so the UK has no bearing on what happens in Ireland ?

There is plenty of posts about global events on here , this is about the hazards of belief - if them having the power to get a film banned from a chain of cinemas is not a hazard , I don't know what is ... you won't bring yourself to admit that tho.

Catholic elephant ?? come on, church has no power in Ireland anymore, and there is no problem with people standing up to it.

tell that to the parents who can't get their kid into the local school because their kid isn't baptised.

They can go to educate together schools - religiously anti religious though ...

Come off it. I mean you even gave the game away in your first post

"I await the usual people jumping in to defend the extremists ..."

So it's perfectly obvious you're just here on a wind-up, unfortunately for you nobody is defending the extremists - why would they?

As for stating the catholic church has no power in Ireland, control of 89% of taxpayer funded primary schools... then there's the health system. They also convinced the government to get the taxpayer to cover over a billion euro of their abuse compensation bill. Tuam, Bessborough and other places with illegal mass burials have been known about for years but are still not being treated as crime scenes. The recent report on women imprisoned in laundries was a complete whitewash. I could go on. The actions of these muslims in the UK are pathetic and wrong but have no impact whatsoever on my family, unlike the catholic church's malign influence on health and education here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ET schools are massively oversubscribed. Most parents who want to send their children to Educate Together schools don't actually ever get that choice.

Educate together would have been our preference but there was zero availability. Our choice was the local catholic boys school or homeschooling.

Given that I have not got the temperament (or time) for teaching we had to (by law) send him to the catholic school.

Well, I never!

Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, who self-identifies as "Tommy" "Robinson", has admitted in court that he collected money from supporters and blew it on "drink, alcohol, partying". And £100,000 worth of gambling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-61753172

• Advertisement

More nonsense, they are not anti-religious, about half of kids in ETs make the catholic sacraments they just do the prep outside of the school day. What they don't do in these schools, unlike 94% of the schools funded by our taxes, is teach a specific religion as factually true during the school day.

Advertisement