Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya Mayo/ Dublin final.....and Mayo will find a way to lose again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Time for rule changes to stamp out the basketball play and return to kickpassing

Rule changes to do what exactly?

Forcing kickpasses will result in more backward kicking, forcing forward play will result in even more blanket defences as it'll be an easier way to turn over the ball. At the end of the day the good attacking football will win out more often than not. Rule changes will only have worse unexpected consequences.

Armagh could well go through, likely wont be a great Donegal crowd given the last performance, at least Armagh have momentum and a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Haha - at least with Kerry you know there’s potential there

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

It won't be out of character for them to get completely jammy in a draw anyway. If there's any justice they'll be pitted in against Kerry in the QF. Somehow it's a very good chance they'll get Derry though if Donegal get through

Derry shouldn't be scared in that scenario anyway though. Not much has been made of how epically bad Monaghan were on Saturday and yet it still took a dodgy referee decision to decide it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What justice would there be in Mayo getting Kerry if they got past Kildare?

• Advertisement

Finally getting a normal draw after years of generally getting lucky ones? Not being rewarded with potentially the handiest route to a final of any team left in the competition after being dumped out of the province and winning a bad home qualifier (ref assisted)?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hang on a minute Dublin ‘false decline?’ What are you basing that on?

‘ALL the star men back’? That is just one main guy Con O’Callaghan. On paper Kerry miles ahead of Dublin in overall squad. Mayo should have beating of Dublin as well strong panel. Only thing that stops Mayo winning Sam is the pressure. It becomes to much for them.

But this Dublin ‘False Decline’ narrative is based on what? Beating the worst Meath side and manager in about 40 years? And a Kildare side who were set up naively with no game management nous? Kildare were like a sieve. But still got 1-15 against Dublin. That score would win most games.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

Haha! You're over the shop,how are Mayo more likely to get Derry in a possible qf? I can't wait to see your explanation for that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They got Tyrone in the QF in 2016, Tyrone were favourites that day.

It's not Mayo's fault that Galway lost to Tipp in the other QF.

In 2017 they were played to a draw with Roscommon and went on to beat Kerry

In 2019 they went to Down and played Armagh at home after and then got out of a group with Kerry and Donegal.

Fair enough round 1 and 2 can be easy for Div 1 teams because it's usually full of lower div teams anyway.

I recall Mayo getting Limerick, Tipp and Clare in previous years.

But contrary to your stamemts they have not had years of lucky draws.

Do you even think before you post? Mayo could get 3 possible provincial winners in 2016, Kerry Dublin and Tyrone. Tyrone was by far the easiest of those 3 at the time. This was after the easiest qualifier run in history. And then avoided the two best teams who played each other in the semi

In 2017, again dumped into the qualifiers, again a handy run, again the handiest QF option in Roscommon and once again avoid the Dublin side of the draw.

2019, dumped into qualifiers, ref robs Armagh in a qualifier, reach super 8s and again avoid Dublin's group. There was one bogey team to avoid in the run every year and despite being put into the qualifiers Mayo avoided the Dublin side every year. Finally got a Dublin semi that year because you came second in your group to Kerry rather than win it

2020, win a bad knockout Connacht and Tipp await in the semi. Need I go on?

• Advertisement

Donegal can't get Derry. Winners of Cork/lim can't get Kerry. So if Donegal win it makes it slightly more likely Mayo will draw Derry or Kerry than your usual 1 in 3 shot and slightly less likely they'll get Dublin. It's not difficult to work out bud

OK,you're entertaining and I'm laughing here but you're obviously not the sharpest and I have to point this one out to you.

Mayo weren't on Dublins side of the draw in 2017,there were on kerrys who they bet and guess who they played in the next match?

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Correct Meath and Kildare were absolutely appalling against Dublin but still scored 1-14 and 1-15 and Meath missed 2 glorious goal chances as well now Dublin may have pulled up a bit considering the games were over at half time but those are still worrying scores to concede and certainly won't do against Kerry.

In saying all that Dublin are still very much the second favourites for me and if they beat Kerry in the AI semi finals I'd put the mortgage on them winning the final as I don't think any of the rest could live with them in an AI final.

Looks like it's not just me voting with my feet for the double header what an embarrassment for the GAA. I can't imagine sky will be too happy either.

The more I think about this being in croker the angrier I get imagine kildare v mayo in Longford or Roscommon or offaly etc on a sunny Saturday night capacity crowd in proper championship atmosphere much needed money being spent in a provincial town but no the white elephant that is filled once a year has to be fed. I mean it's not as if being in croker guarantees a big kildare crowd it won't there'll be more from Roscommon and Mayo at this guaranteed.

Yep, they avoided Dublin's side of the draw in 2017, exactly what I said. Did you read it? Dublin the 6 in a row champions. Mayo got dumped into the qualifiers 3 times (4 including 2018) and each time got rewarded by being on the opposite side of the draw to Dublin, amongst everything else

Lol? Are you a child or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

A lot of nonsense. What have you against Mayo? Such in depth analysis of their qualifier draws. By your rationale the Dublin 6 in a row team were poor and lucky, they got to the semi final every year with no game. Let's analyse their semi final opponents each year and pick them apart. Let's devalue some of their all irelands because they met a 'lucky' to be there, because of the draw, Mayo in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some comments from the GAA President

McCarthy: No plans for August All-Irelands in 2023 (rte.ie)

July finals likely to be continued, keeping rest of year free for clubs.

Seems to think Tailteann Cup North/South divide is a good thing - talking about how great it was that Sligo got to play Leitrim and Cavan got to play Fermanagh. "No-one wants to see Fermanagh v Waterford". "To a certain extent we were looking to replicate the provinces". Maybe poster @Cavan_King is right.

Games in Croke Pk - 'players want to play there', 'no other ground big enough for Kildare v Mayo especially with massive Mayo support'. Usual stuff really. I'm still intrigued what they'll do next year when teams who finished 2nd in the group are supposedly getting home advantage against 3rd place finishers.

He's going to get some land when he sees the massive Mayo support have been ridden too many times by GAA fixture committees and are voting with their feet on this one.

The second part is absolute nonsense Newbridge was big enough for Kildare Mayo famously not so long ago Tullamore Portlaoise Dr Hyde and a few others are plenty big enough. I'd respect them more if they just came out and said we have to have games in croker or we've calculated that 30 euro a head in croker makes us more money than 2 separate games etc but this total bullsh!t is hard to stomach. The massive Mayo support stuff is way overhyped as well we'll see that on Saturday evening( not that I in any way blame some Mayo folk for not going timing/venue ridiculous and more than likely they'll be out the following week as well.)

As it happens I agree with him on Tailteann Cup far more interest in neighbouring counties playing one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Mayo have reached 10 semi finals in the last 11 years. On 4 of those occasions we've had to play Dublin (won 2, lost 2), Kerry 3 times, Tipperary 2 times and Tyrone once. That doesn't strike me as an easy run of games. Kerry have only had to play Dublin in 2 semis during that time and lost both.

By all means criticize them for not finishing the job, but it's not some long run of luck that's getting Mayo to so many finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

That is some statement by him about Waterford and Fermanagh. Imagine the person in charge of the national sport saying that it's better if certain teams in a competition don't play each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is not what he said. He stated that the North South divide seemed to work from a crowd point of view.

While an open draw would be preferable you also have to factor in the viability of these fixtures. Will supporters from Antrim travel to Wexford or visa versa in any great numbers.

Give the competition 2-3 years to bed down and see what happens.

Next year there will be groups of four at prelim stage with a home ,away and neutral fixture. Give supporters a chance to start following there teams to games before expecting them to travel 150+ miles to a match

Slava Ukrainii

I can appreciate that somewhat but are the leagues geographically split? Are the lower tier hurling competitions geographically split?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yeah, it's a pretty bleak thing to say, although I did paraphrase his quote a little in my synopsis. But even his actual words aren't great at all.

I can kinda see some merit in @Fattybojangles comment that there's more interest in neighbouring counties meeting - that's probably correct. It doesn't necessarily mean it's the correct way to do it though. Sporting integrity has to come into somewhere. Also if Fermanagh v Waterford is considered a valid NFL Div4 tie in February then I don't see why it's a problem in the T-Cup in May.

Exactly. No issues with Fermanagh v Lancashire in hurling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If the Tailteann cup is supposed to improve standard of football by allowing the weaker inter county teams more games, then what logic is there in stopping them from being drawn against teams of a similar level?

There are stronger and weaker teams in the Tailteann cup, splitting them into north and south does nothing for county teams who need competitive games at similar level to themselves in order to have any hope of improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Does anyone believe its about improving standards. I thought it was more about giving every team meaningful competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hurling is split into championships of 5 and 6 and due to hurling being at it's strongest in the south most of those championships are northern teams anyway so it's not as easy or important to split.

I personally think the GAA has handled the TC very well they need this competition to be a success they need to get full buy in from the counties involved and I think neighbouring counties of a similar level playing each other in a competition they genuinely can progress in is a big part of that.

I'm the first to criticise the GAA when I feel they've got it wrong but I honestly believe they've got it right give the competition a couple of years to bed in and be a success and then the geographical split can be looked at. The last thing anyone wants is another Tommy Murphy cup.

• Advertisement

Again true to a certain extent but you have Kerry and Carlow in a group with Derry and Antrim. Also London and Lancashire competing in the lower tiers and playing multiple matches.

Advertisement