Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It only takes about an 1.5 hours for those to charge, there fairly economical, I am on 170 mpg.

Seen on Saturday a Taxi charging at a AC, check the app after it was there since 4 am, I presumed he finished his work Friday night and plugged in, still there at 2 pm.

He moved later on and a phev parked up and did not charge he was gone after 30 minutes.

Post edited by kanuseeme on

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭MichaelR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Feet under the table? More like bent over a barrel I'd say

Like I've said before, if IEOVA rocks the boat with Ecars then they'll just get the door slammed on their face and another EV owners group will get the airtime with Ecars

Personally I'm just holding out hope for the Ionity expansion and maybe Elon opening up the SuC network in Ireland. If those two go ahead then that'll be more or less game over for Ecars

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

“The company (ESB) added that charging in Northern Ireland will continue to be free to use in the short term while it continues its network upgrade programme.”

didn’t realise ESB charge different prices in the UK depending on where the charger is located. Would they ever introduce that here ? Hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

The demise of eCars might be a bit premature. It’s hard to see a big expansion of Ionity here, their focus is on busy inter-city routes and their capital costs are huge. Tesla will almost definitely open to the public over the next year but their network is relatively small in Ireland so it will be positive for people who use those routes but that still leaves a lot of the country needing another network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ecars in the Uk is a very different business, over there transport for London or the council etc identify the charger requirements and put out open tenders to companies to provide them. Ecars have won a number of these

I robbed this from the Ionity thread, apparently this is going to be the network by 2025, black markers are new sites

We'll see what happens of course, if ESBN are going to sandbag the whole process 😏

You're right that they're interested in mainly intercity routes, but those are the main money makers for ESB outside of the handful of DC chargers in Dublin

If the competition start eating into that revenue stream then there won't be much money making potential for Ecars, so it'll receive even less attention from ESB

As I've said before, Ecars should mainly be focusing on enabling charging in places where commercial operators won't touch, like providing AC chargers to people without driveways

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

^^ Which makes their statement that they are not rolling out any new AC charger sites all the more bizarre....

So if they are not rolling out any new AC sites, and their DC 'hub' roll out is slower than molasses, what in the actual fcuk are they doing??????

The busiest aspect of eCars is Anna with their Facebook account constantly posting articles about all the new supercar/aeroplane EV's being developed!

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

There’s every possibility that eCars consists of nothing more than one or two ESBN staff with no fixed budget managing an outsourced operation of engineers, call centre and PR agency. I’ve seen more than a few times where public sector staff are busy doing their job and suddenly a second role is landed on them because it looks like a small piece of additional work and some government minister wants the work done quickly and without guaranteed funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I did see the famous eCars Hyundai Ionic last weekend, out for what looked like a family drive (unless it was bring your kids to work over the weekend day).

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As I've said before, Ecars should mainly be focusing on enabling charging in places where commercial operators won't touch, like providing AC chargers to people without driveways

That's a job for local authorities and not something a commercial operator should be involved with beyond picking up the contracts from councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

NI and ROI were all part of the same 99% government rollout in approx 2010. ROI got a lot of upgrades in 2020+ and went from free to pay. NI is still free using mostly 2010 equipment. The said in 2022 NI will get most old chargers upgraded/replaced to new models but maybe no new sites and once my nar completion they will introduce fees. Some 50kW chargers in NI are ChaDeMo only, no CCS and some are broken for 1+ years.

Mainland UK, is a totally different set up & app, but it's actually run by the same Irish team and seems to have delivered more, but probably received better funds.

Actually rollouts if ecars seems to be mostly based on matching funds or similar and they don't seem keen to capture the market possibly because it's unprofitable. Until recently it was not possible to charge for charging in NI but the law was changed to allow fees. Connection fees in NI are apparently much higher, and may be the reason Tesla, Ionity etc are slower/reluctant to deliver hubs. There is talk of changes to connection fees etc in NI but the NI network is a total disaster. See plugshare app for real status of the chargers.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

'Grad' being short for Grandfathered yeah. Psych.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I gave up on eCars when kept getting cut off trying to charge my Leaf a good few years back, onto the helpline and they asked had I anything charging in the car and I said yeah, my phone was charging off the USB, that's it they said, the chargers can sense that and will cut out, you can't have anything charging in the car whilst charging, I kid you not

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Often accusations of nepotism in the ESB so wedging in grandfather even though it doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

So, If I understand correctly. Local authorities in the UK picked locations that they believed would be useful for EV chargers and put the process of installation out to tender. Then companies, including eCars, vied for tha opportunity and install the chargers where they're needed in a possibly timely manner.

Here, neither the local authorities or eCars can be bothered doing either.

Or is that a gross oversimplification.

Well , you seem to be encouraging the accusations. Which from my experience isn’t true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That about sums it up, in most of Europe councils are involved in the provision of charging infrastructure and tender out the actual running to private operators. Here the councils have largely been happy to stick fingers in ears and scream somebody else's problem.

I agree but local authorities don't have a clue about it , whereas ESB (theoretically) have the expertise. So it should be a case of councils saying they want, for example, some 50kW chargers in every town plus kerbside chargers for all council run street parking, and tendering out the contract to a provider like Ecars

Similar to how Ecars currently operates in the UK

It's probably also better that every council doesn't use a different provider, otherwise you'd need a different app or card for every county (like our current situation, but 26 times worse)

I don't believe eCars have any expertise in delivering an adequate public AC charging infrastructure to meet local residential needs. I'd be completely ok with a council tendering out such a project and attracting one of the many EU operators who do it in other cites.

I don't really see the problem with having many operators but maybe that's because I can't afford to live in many council areas at once. Visitor and out of town charging is a different scope, and is something that eCars are equipped for with their 50kW/150kW mini hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Councils (the few here that have any interest in charging points) seem to be having more luck with Easygo than ESB, see what’s happened in Carlow recently.

Maybe they come across the same lack of interest from ESB as Joe public, but imho I think it’s more like when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object and they both double down and cancel each other out.

Whatever way you look at it ESB is falling way short of it’s role in the national strategy, especially given how successful they’ve been in the UK.

The 2 markets are different, in the Uk they are responding to public tenders that have roadmaps, budgets and in many cases grid connections.

True, I did say ESB theoretically have the expertise to design a charging network, I've yet to see any evidence of this

My comment around having multiple providers was more around ensuring some level of interoperability between different councils

If you look at the situation with paid public parking, it's fairly dire. If I'm parking in county Dublin, I need one app. If I park in a train station, I need a different app. If I need to go to Connolly hospital, I need another app again

Evidently nobody in any of the councils said that all paid parking providers need to provide a payment API to allow 3rd party providers. Frankly I doubt anyone in the council understands what an API is

Now imagine the same situation with public charging overlaid on top and a bunch of different charging providers

I know a bit of forward planning and research can alleviate this. But really, should I have to download a bunch of different apps and register new accounts to travel from Swords to Dundalk for an afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

Apparently easygo offered the chargers to Carlow at zero cost to the council except for using some public parking spaces at presumably no rent. For businesses easygo offered a profit share model, where they pay the site say a hotel a cut of the profits while easygo don't pay rent to the site. It's a good offer for council's where they don't have 1/10 the funding similar council's in the UK have. ESB ecars seem to want payment in terms of free money, but they do put some money in themselves.

In terms of interoperability in the UK all new chargers need to have touch to pay by credit card as an option and all 50+kW easygo units seem to have that option, but it is more expensive than paying by app, probably due to single payment card fees.

ESB has touch to pay by credit card on their UK units as it was a requirement, so they could easily retrofit Irish 50+kW units.

On some 22kW private units there is touch to pay, but typically it's one reader for multiple posts, probably due to cost of card machine and that it would need a phone sim card, and presumably monthly bank and usage fees.

In terms of a proper rollout the council's simply don't have the funding beyond trials, easygo seem to be able to self fund and deliver, but only where they get free land to place chargers. ESB also seems to want free land as typically they have kept most of the same sites up to now preferring to replace chargers with a new model than roll out new sites.

I think in general AC charging is not profitable in general which presents a big challenge to rollout and ongoing repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So apparently I was on RTE radio this morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Unsurprising how this conversation went.

Ordinary EV driver - the network is miles behind where it should be. ECars are not delivering on their promises.

IEVOA rep - the network isn't that bad, all is well.

EasyGo - we're working hard but the Irish network IS behind whelat it should be.

ECars - the network isn't that bad, all is well.

Advertisement