Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Why invite them at all??

Couldn't they just give them Covid or some other makey uppy thing like Andrew?

As far as I'm aware they are on good terms with Andrews girls, Zara and her family attended the little one's birthday so would appear to be on good terms there and the Queen invited them to the Jubilee so must be OK with them too.

William does appear frosty towards his brother and Charles to a lesser extent but then again Harry spoke out about an institution that they're hoping will not only be their bread and butter but also their descendants so that's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

He was probably always a twat, just it was well covered up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Again, it bears repeating - An institution Harry wanted to remain working for but on a flexible, part time basis. The racism he subsequently spoke out about preceded his wish to remain part of the fold i.e. he wanted to remain part of a racist institution. Make it make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

We don't know who attended the birthday party, only who was invited.

MaryAnne said above they could have waited until after the weekend to hold the birthday party when most of the RF were free but I think it probably suited the RF to be conveniently unavailable that weekend 😁

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

only so much it could have been covered up however.

even for the royals, if one is a twat then there will be a give away, yet none with harry then and now.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

After everything that has been said on the topic you still do not get it. The comments here from the majority are not about outrage, or love of the monarchy, or racism, or jealousy, or stupidity, or lack or understanding. H&Ms actions and their own words do not align, ever. There is always something to be clarified or explained or cleared up. Their words and actions towards both of their families are by any standards rude, disrespectful and contradictory of all evidence that is right in front of our eyes. We see their actions, we hear their words and yet you are telling us that we misunderstand, or mis interpret or that they meant something else. But you clearly have drank the Kool Aid, and refuse the acknowledge the multiple contradtictions they embody.

You cannot promote compassion to the world and refuse the visit your ill father or forgive him, he has commited no crime, regardless of how slighted you feel over his past actions, of which the only one you have ever accused him of publically is selling photos and information about you to a newspaper. Thats it. Thats the terrible thing that she said he did. She has every right not to forgive him, but you lose the right to preach compassion to the world. That is the very definition of a hypocrite.

Ditto Harry and his family. He has every right to think they are a bunch of racist, trapped, inbred spongers, if he so choses. But if you go on worldwide tv and drop these bombs with no evidence, dont give any names or specifics, and contradictory information is shown that what you have said is not the whole truth, then dont show up and pretend you care about the head of the family who has overseen all that and sanctioned it, and expect the red carpet to be rolled out and to be given a front row position and expect to pass pleasantries with those people you have just ranted about, multiple times. And to top it all, keep on using those titles and insist on keeping the trappings of that very organisation which has done you so much harm that you had to leave, to the extent of taking them to court to get it (protection).

And if you do those things publically then you will be called out on it.

And that is all that is going on here.

ill or not, remember, he also used the media to imotionally blackmail her, which is reason enough to want to pull back, if i was in her situation and the same happened to me i would be pissed off as well.

thomas markle is the only one to blame for the lack of a relationship with his daughter, nobody else, he brought it on himself and she is not to blame in any way in relation to that issue, all he needs to do is to agree to not engage in such behaviour and appologise for his behaviour annd i feel there could be a way back for him into having a relationship with his daughter.

harry didn't expect a front row anything at anything, he stepped back from being a working royal so that he could be in the back ground of things, and yet dispite him exposing issues with the RF both as an institution and the RF as a family, he is still on good terms with plenty if not most of them, got invited to the jubbly and visited the queen.

so looks like once again the naratives aren't aligning with the actual reality.

Did he say the whole institute was racist or that a member of the institute made a racist comment?

And she has every right to pull back and be pissed off, and more. Literally no one is saying that she has no right to do that. But look at the subheading on Archewell "Leading the way with compassion", this is one of the basics of their speil everytime they chime in on a world event, be it BLM, or the shootings in Taxas, or their charity work with their foundation. That is called hypocrity. She is not showing any compassion towards an elderly ill father. There are alot of people who could hold a serious grudge against their parents over any number of things that they have done, but the grown up, adult thing to do (assuming we are not talking about actual crimes like child abuse), is to find some way to forgive and move forward and reconcile before their parent passes on. That is compassion in action. And it is only 1 example of the contradiction they both project to the world.

To your point on Harry, the Queen has shown herself to be compassionate in extending the invite to two people who have besmirtched her legacy as a parent, and head of an institution they called out as uncaring, damaging and racist. You intepret this as there being no ill will and they were welcomed and get along with most of the family. But the whole world saw something else. You are entitled to your view, but the evidence of no senior royals publically interacting with them does not back up your view point. An opportunity to show unity with them was not taken, and the unspoken message was that they were they at the queen's invite, she met with them, but the others were not indulging a public charade.

Well Meghan certainly looked friendly enough with Zara's kids in that window pic so not too hard to believe they might have been there, I'm nearly sure I read somewhere that they did but sure who can believe everything you read online, right!

If the RF did use the Jubilee to miss the baby's birthday well that's just petty and I don’t see Kate as being that petty especially where the kids are concerned, in reality it was most likely just a logistical thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Pretty sure dressing up as a nazi was a bit of a giveaway. God knows what else was covered up. He no longer has that protection so I suspect the real Harry is now on display for the world to see, an angry, petulant brat.

families are different and there is no right or wrong way to deal with a situation such as this.

he betrayed her in one of the most aweful ways possible, using the media to imotionally blackmail her, it is perfectly understandable that she would not forgive that and not doing so does not mean she can't show compassion ever anywhere, that's not how the world works.

humans are complex and sometimes different situations require a different way of managing them, even from individual to individual.

the whole world just saw the jubbly, some people saw something that they wanted to see which suits their narrative that the whole of the RF are against M&H and are giving them the cold shoulder and wide birth when really there isn't a shred of evidence for it, as M&H upon stepping back from royal duties were never going to be at the forefront anyway regardless of what they said or didn't say because they are not working royals and other royals doing whatever with them publically would have caused the media to invade their privacy even though that would not be the intention of the other members of the family.

anyway, the most important thing was that the queen got to see her great grandchildren which was long overdue, and which would have happened earlier but for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I don't understand why they can't just work. He's an experienced officer, surely he has some highly sought after expertise that could be put to excellent use? Military training, leadership, logistics, survival fitness, .... a fairly long list. She's an actor. They don't want to work. They want a life of luxury for no effort. They can't have that and not be working Royals.

Initially I thought 'fair play' for wanting to be as 'ordinary' as they can be, but it's clear they don't want that. They want titles for their kids (what for?) want to keep their titles (what for?) and get paid handsomely for talking schite.

dressing up as a nazi was a stupid thing to do, sure, completely agree, however all that shows is that he was dum as fcuck at that time.

he doesn't come across as being a brat, however given what he has been through and the situation he had to grow up in, i can't blame him for being angry if i'm honest.

wasn't he paraded around after the death of his mother to appease the whaling cult fans who previously hated her?

for all the pomp and privilage and titles and entitlements due to birth right and an invisible space wizard, being a member of the RF comes across as being hard work and i can agree with him that his father and brother are somewhat trapped.

poor charles himself i suspect is damaged to an extent, forced into a marriage that was never going to work out when he loved someone else, his mother being forced to leave him for long periods to do her "duty" .

i feel sorry for almost all of them and i think the sooner the lot is abolished, the better it will be for them, they will be free and be able to be who they actually are and should be, free to grow and learn, a huge weight will be lifted off their shoulders, and andy of course will no longer have any privelages in society, not that he has much now really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If they weren't invited they'd have another tantrum, if it was claimed they both have Covid they'd have another tantrum, and their version of tantrums is "tell all" interviews. Hell, this time they might have even gone to the bother of getting their stories straight.

I will respond to the points you made because you took the time to respind but then I will say no more on it because I will be repeating myself and that will waste both of our time.

Families are not that different and in my opinion it is one of the reasons why many people wade in on the dynamics of what is playing out in public here as almost everyone has a family member or close relative whose antics mimic what we are seeing here. An without getting into a pissing contest on how awful parents can be to their children, what you say Thomas Markle did is one of the worst things a parent can do, I would very much put what he did in the extremely mild category of what a parent could do to their child, which is why it is so mind boggling that she cant seem to get past it. but that is her perrogative. But if you make your living off being compassionite and cant cant forgive this one time act of betrayal, how compasionite are you? As I said it is only one example of her words and actions not aligning.

The whole world saw pretty much all the available appearances that they made while they were in the uk. I doubt in this digital age there was a single step taken outside of the confines of their residence that was missed or not captured. If the RF was chosing to show the world that they were not giving them the cold shoulder, there would be evidence. There is nothing to be gained by warmly embracing them in private and publicly showing no support, it is not logical that they would do that given the attention on all of them by the world media. That there is no evidence of any embracing or chit chat or the slightest acknowledgement of them at all among the immediate family. The queen made it known that she met with them. She made sure of that. But she didnt want it photogrphed for public viewing. She made sure that was known also. You say there is no evidence of cold shoulder, but the absence of evidence of a public show of support for them among the senior royals caught on camera or tv, is evidence of the cold shoulder.

And the most important thing was not that the queen got to see her great grandchildren, I think most people would agree the most important thing was the celebration of 70 years of service by a remarkable woman, something that is a rarity nowadays. But of course you wont agree with that either.

Why would an institution like The Crown care if 2 'nobodies' threw a tantrum? Can't see that being a good reason to invite them.

An unnamed senior member of the royal family discussed with Harry "how dark" Archie's skin color would be, and "what that would look like." and also concerns and conversations were had about how dark his skin might be when he's born. There was also inference that Archie wouldn't be titled because of racism.

When Winfrey asked, "Did you leave the country because of racism?"

Harry said, "It was a large part of it."

"I remember the Sentebale fundraiser," Harry said. "One of the people at that dinner said to me, 'Please, please don't do this with the media. They will destroy your life.' This person is friends with a lot of the editors and I said, 'What do you mean by that?' Obviously I knew. They said, 'You don't understand, the U.K. is very bigoted.' And I stopped, and I said the U.K.'s not bigoted, the U.K. press is bigoted, specifically the tabloids. Is that what you mean?' He goes, "No, the U.K. is bigoted.' And I said I completely disagree.

"But unfortunately, if the source of information is inherently corrupt or racist or biased, then that filters out to the rest of society."

He wasn't inferring that tabloid editors alone were racist, he was inferring that the UK in general is racist or at least gullible to the ends of a malicious press. You can lump in the institution with that ridiculous generalisation if you like.

I would imagine everyone wants to keep them quiet until the queen dies.

If a statement had been released to say they had Covid and couldn't attend you can be sure they'd have publicly denied it.

The queen is elderly and clearly not in the best of health, the Jubilee was about and for her, so easier to keep the gruesome twosome onside for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Their idea of ‘ordinary’ are the other aristos who also have the wealth and lifestyle but don’t have the royal duties.

• Advertisement

His gripe from your above post to me appears to be with 1) the senior Royal who made the comment about Archie's skin colour and 2) with the UK press inciting corrupt or racists views in the UK public, no mention of anyone else in the royal family.

But surely they are so disliked who would care?

I would imagine there is just a semblance of truth to the things they said and possibly still have to say and that's why they are being kept on side, nothing to do with the Queen.

Being exposed for lying about them having Covid? I'm sure everyone in the Palace would rather that didn't detract from the weekend, and it's a lie that could be very easily exposed.

Why give H & M more ammunition to claim victimhood when they could be invited and put in their place as non-senior, non-working member of the RF? It was a genius stroke that made the 2 of them less marketable too.

William went through the same thing and seems to have dealt with it in a mature manner.

They all have genetic pain. Charles had genetic pain. The same pain he passed on to his kids. I wonder what the Queen and Charles think of Harry dumping on their parenting skills under the admittedly unique circumstances.

Also Harry said he felt like he was living in the Truman Show as a Royal, that he had no privacy, had PTSD over camera clicks.

Now he is engaging with a reality show, which will have cameras trained on him, which will chronicle their lives and that of his wife and kids in the invasive manner such shows do. It's almost like the Truman Show only he's aware of the cameras. Like jumping from the frying pan into the fire to my mind but I'm sure he's living his best life and his kids will only adore being subjected to all of this when they grow up.

I would imagine they are being "kept onside" for the sake of their children who are the great-grandchildten of the current Monarch and the Grandchildren of the next. Regardless of whether they are working Royals or Royal at all it is only right that some form of a relationship can be established with them now, when they are small, so they know their grandparents. Behind it all, it's a family and the children don't deserve to be shut out from their own family heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

But they do work!

They have their woke company Archewell 🤣

To thine own self be true

Of course, I forgot. Busy 12 hoir days doing.... what was it again? 😉

william was much older in fairness so had a slightly greater ability to deal with it.

because he may allow the cameras in now does not mean his feelings about being part of the RF aren't valid or suddenly become invalid, at the end of the day people change and maybe he feels that by being able to control how and where cameras have access here and there it might help him in some way, who knows.

but they are apparently so disliked that the RF being exposed on a little lie won't matter because it was only a little lie about covid and M&H are so irrelevant that really it wouldn't have detracted from anything and they are so disliked that nothing the RF would do would matter because nobody would notice or care.

so the RF could have decided to not invite them and nothing would happen but yet they invited them.

invited to something and staying/being kept in the back ground which was always going to happen once they stepped back is really putting them in their place alright, remember charles is slimming the lot down to the bare minimum when he becomes king so this would be practice for what would have been coming for M&H anyway, even had they stayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It does seem rather idiotic to disagree with his assessment there. I have a soft spot for the lad, he's got a good heart. I do think Meggy had him in her sights but that's how it goes out there. You go for the best that you think you can get. She went for the stars and her children are now descended from royalty. I'm not chatting up my mates granny if you know what I mean. Shes in her 80s. I've nothing against octogenarians. Meggy is a stunner herself. Fantastic couple and I wish them the best of luck.

Advertisement