Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Anyone here from Lemlin lately he is gone fierce quiet 🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well how are we fixed for Sunday, have we a clean bill of health?

I've a few aches and pains but that's a consequence of getting old, hoping the journey to Croke park doesn't play havoc with my back. Thanks for asking. Yourself? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

That answer gives as much detail as you’ll likely get out of Mickey Graham. I did hear that they had some hard training sessions last week so injuries may have been picked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

RTE reporting in interview with Mickey that Conor Madden, Moynagh and Niall Murray all back in the frame for Sunday. Caoimhin must be close too?

Sad news about Enda McGowan, a fantastic footballer and a lovely man as well. RIP.

Madden was doing sprints pre Fermanagh game on the pitch so can’t have been far off.

Caoimhin still had the hand in a cast then but I have seen players go straight from a cast after 6 weeks to back to playing.

Some mess re Division 2 going into final round. 3 teams on 15 points and 4 on 14 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Just reading about it there. Awful tragedy. May he rest in peace.

CAVAN TEAM SELECTION.

Raymond Galligan

Jason McLoughlin

Padraig Faulkner

Killian Brady

Ciarán Brady

Killian Clarke

Conor Brady

Thomas Galligan

James Smith

Oisin Kiernan

Gearóid McKiernan

Gerard Smith

Martin Reilly

Paddy Lynch

Cian Madden

Subs:

Liam Brady

Chris Conroy

Luke Fortune

Niall Carolan

Michael Argue

Conor Moynagh

Oisin Brady

Stephen Smith

Ryan O' Neill

Thomas Edward Donohoe

Cormac O' Reilly

• Advertisement

Good strong team, no Conor Madden or Murray in the subs yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That's as strong a team as we've had all year, let's hope we can put in a good shift tomorrow and get the job done good and early

Niall Murphy back for Sligo and Spillane out as far as I've heard,

Sligo seem quite confident going into the game judging by the media interviews

Hopefully we'll bring a good crowd and a bit of life to what will be an empty stadium

They have to be taking a big chance with Murphy, he only lasted a few minutes against Leitrim, hamstring can’t be right yet. Anyway if we play to our level it won’t matter who they play

Sligo struggled over London and Leitrim, neither are world beaters and both Division 4 teams. We comprehensively beat a team started the year in Division 2 and a solid Division 3 team.

Sligo is the easiest draw we could have got so need to be beating them. This Cavan team need to be moving to the next level now - regularly beating inferior teams in both championship and League.

we got some luck against them in the league, but they’ve either stalled or gone backwards. And we’ve definitely kicked on. We’ll win this.

Conor Madden played for Gowna today. Got a goal in the hammering they gave Ballinagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mogue77

He didn’t play against Leitrim, he lasted a few minutes v London.

And that’s another reason this cup is important to us, with teams who on paper are inferior to us we’ve met them at their level and struggled, hopefully the results against Down and Fermanagh are the start of us playing at a consistently high level no matter who we play

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Winning by 3 with 5 left, Very good forward display ,albeit with 3 missed goal chances,

Serious issues in the backline though, tactically we allowed our players to be isolated one on one on multiple occasion giving up about 5 goal chances,Rectified it way too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 themink

Ball running away from him, flick it up on the run, off the left by Gerard Smith, followed by a point. Top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

He was outstanding, kicked some great scores, the foul for the penalty was a poor decision. Big problems in the full back line, how Sligo didn’t score another goal or two was very lucky for us.

• Advertisement

Going to watch the match at home but it looked on the big screen at the game that it was outside the square.

I thought when we were six up at the start, it was the ref made a game of it more than Sligo but they grew into it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Good to get the win today. Felt we didn't leave second gear though. I'd imagine it's just doing enough to get over the line while giving nothing away to Westmeath.

Onky slight worry is the defence today. Got opened up far to easily and they could have had a couple more goals. Going by the score Westmeath put up today that will need serious work over the next couple of weeks.

Still it's a place in the final and should be a cracking match.

Was like one of those freewheeling league final shootouts that we'd lose to Roscommon or Tyrone so good to come out on the right side of it. Our Achilles heel of not taking goal chances is still there, the two by Gearoid and the one near the end by Galligan were poor but Sligo will feel more aggrieved for the ones they missed. Gerry should have been MOTM, wonderful footballer and we took some great scores. Holla still finding his feet which is understandable and that will bring him on that bit more. Roll on July 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Funny game today. We looked excellent going forward at times but sligo ran through us and could've won that game if they'd taken a few more chances. I think tactically what we were at was very odd. Leaving us man v man in our full back line yet putting poor levels of pressure firstly on their kick outs and secondly barely laying a hand on them as they transitioned into attack. Well that was disappointing to me. Will need a lot more to beat westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Any word on Martin Reilly, hope it was just precautionary. He deserves a final appearance

He seemed to be struggling after he took a hit to the ribs 11 to 12 minutes in. He has 3 weeks now to get fit anyway.

We have looked worryingly open in every game at the back. I raised here previously that I thought both Donegal & Down cut us open too easily and it’s still an issue.

Graham will have had a look at Westmeath today but they do look a cut above what we have played to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

It's going to be a really tough final i feel this is the first team in this competition that we will face that you could argue are on same level or possible better than us.

They also seem to be quiet vulnerable when ran at and were opened up several times yesterday so i would say that both teams have work to do in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I think that was a good performance from Cavan while still leaving a decent bit in the tank. I think we were probably 10-15% off our max level of intensity and workrate. Defensively that makes a big difference. Gunner and Faulkner were exposed and not for the first time this year. We need to bring on some sticky defenders and to be fair there may be a couple of those U20s that could do the job.

Oisin Kiernan cleared off the line 3 times, huge credit to him for making it back and being in the right place at the right time. You make your own luck.

I thought we saw Paddy Lynch put in an exceptionally mature performance. He realised early on that he couldn't get the yard he needed from the Sligo full back to take on the shot and he offloaded and brought others into the play. It looked pre-planned to me and we got lots of scoring chances from it.

I thought Cian Madden played his best game for Cavan when he came on. Full of workrate, sharp, took his score well. Definitely some green shoots there and signs of the dynamo he was as a minor player.

Gerry Smith was outstanding. He's a different player this year. He always cruised through games and seemed overly conservative but is really taking the game to the opposition.

We didn't see the best from Thomas Galligan today. Would have liked to see him run at them more. He made two poor decisions to shoot for goal. Low percentage shots from that angle and the second one would have put us more than a goal up with time nearly up, a little bit of immaturity there I felt but he's that sort of player so you take the good with the bad.

Very solid displays from Conor Brady, McLoughlin, James Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭etuzyuk

Result never in doubt😎, apart from Galligan been beaten 5 times, two off the crossbar and post. Two off the upright for good measure!.

Westmeath look formidable and it's always tight between us. Great game in prospect. Bench you'd feel will come into it, something we're slow to utilise when games are close.

• Advertisement

Firstly, it was a very entertaining game with both teams willing to play open, attacking football. Not good for the nerves at times, but also some quality scores (especially from us in the first half- and has the Gunner ever hit a better score for us?).

For Sligo, Lyons is an absolutely quality defender and their half back line was full of running and Murphy showed his class (even when half fit). Carrabine was a handful all afternoon as was Spillane.

For us, Jason man of the match for me. Made two huge catches when the game was in the mix and as usual it was a no-nonsense, high work rate performance from him with lots of crucial turnovers. Gerry Smith not far behind, and Oisin Kiernan also very strong. I think your point about Paddy Lynch is bang on. Lyons got a great block on him and beat him to the ball early in the first hald and was impossible to shake off. Lynch did what he had to do, showed and won almost every ball in there and rather than go for glory, laid the ball off to someone else in a shooting position. That's the sign of a quality player.

Solid for most parts, but we just weren't firing to the levels of our recent performance. Holla is still way off the pace, and if Moynagh is 100% I would start him at centre half back there.

Advertisement