Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

And just like that Pascal Donohue says there will be nothing in the budget for working people

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ciara26

where did you see that? Was waiting for him to make that comment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've noticed a big uptick in grocery prices this week. A few random examples from Tesco.

Ham

December 2021: €1.09

May 2022: €1.15

Now: €1.65

Edam Cheese Slices

May 2022: €1.19

Now: €1.69

200g block of Charleville / Kilmedan Cheese (Sale Price)

May 2022: €2

Now: €2.50

Toilet Roll

May 2022: €2.50

Now: €4.50

3l Low Fat Milk

May 2022: €3

Now: €3.30

Bag of Pasta

May 2022: 70c

Now: €1

It's notable the amount of people commenting on the increases as you go around the aisles. People are really concious of the current rate of inflation.

Also, I would have been the first to say that the pubs remained jammers but to be honest there's a slowdown in midweek trade becoming evident over the last couple of weeks. It's hard to determine whether its the bank holiday effect or whether there's something more profound going on. We'll know soon enough. You'd expect midweek trade to remain strong in the summer months. Same story with restarunts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Makes all that staying home and saving lives seem all the more worthwhile eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Was listening to someone on the radio this week (could have been on the last word on Wednesday) and they were saying that food inflation hadn't started here yet but that it was only a matter of time before it was running at a similar rate to fuel inflation. That's definitely not something that most families will be able to cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,323 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

winter is gonna be scary, and our major institution's are heading in the wrong direction! we urgently need a rapid increase in the public money supply, and put it to good use, and quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

You only want social welfare increase, that won’t help the working person.

I don't think there's much public money to spend. But if food inflation starts to spiral out of control people will really start to suffer. Its hard to believe in 2022 that this is what we are facing into. I see posts online about people struggling to pay electric bills already and this would be the cheapest time of the year. Who knows how they will manage in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Voting for FG and expecting things to get better if you're an income tax payer is self-harming at this point. It's so clear that they just lie to voters in order to get elected. Want a functioning housing market? FG won't deliver it. Want more tax reliefs as a worker? FG won't deliver it. Big corporates, property owners and the lower classes are whose interests FG represent.

completely untrue actually, we urgently need a rapid increase in the public money supply, i.e. public debt, and push it into the economy, particularly into the private domain, i.e. the private sector, as most jobs are in the private sector. its clearly obvious that the demand for the private sector money supply, i.e. the credit supply, is gonna fall significantly, the only way to counteract this is by so.....

....again, central banks can actually never run out of money, so.....

we urgently need eu wide agreements to expand the public money supply, to try reduce the effects of this downturn, or we all could end up in serious trouble, quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

My farm inputs are up about 40% in the last 12 months .

I've kept it at that by reduction and deferral.

For other farmers it is worse.

It now costs more to feed a pig a kg of ration,than a kg of pig meat is worth.

It goes on and on.

The winding down of Agriculture in Western Europe has been a tremendous mistake and one, along with Merkel closing down half of the German energy sector in favour of Russian gas, that was not done for European benefits.

Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm from a farming background. Inputs are increasing on a daily basis. Farming is fast becoming unsustainable in this country.

EU policy is fast coming back to bite all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

When is there ever? We exist to fund their social programmes and bloated public services

If every business did that..

Costs go up in every business. I run another business and the story is the same there, not as steep though.

What business do you run?

Self employed one man band, kept it tight. If I was a pig farmer and it was costing me more to feed them than what I was getting end product for I would call a halt to it.

The pig farmers work on having a few good and a few bad years.

The nature of pigs determine that it tends to crash every so often.

The millions in the account are there for that.

Ultimately the problem is the same for all food production in Western Europe, having the highest yields per acre in the world, much of the best Land and suitable climate isn't much good when it is policy to ensure it doesn't keep up with inflation.

Western Europe will still be a global food powerhouse without fertilizer.

From Nigeria to China would see an incredible collapse in yields as it is incredible abuse of Fertilizer that drives yield there.

I've seen lads in India putting on urea at a bag to a qtr acre and that is not the only application. Infuc8ing sane.

Food production and supply has little value in Western society but especially so in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

there is a sense now that businesses are starting to just make up prices and charge whatever they feel like .. from airport parking charges, hotels, rentals, food, fuel, etc. etc. things are getting out of control..

businesses are starting to panic, and understandable so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’m just back from a few days in England. It’s the first time I’ve been over in a couple of years but really noticeable how expensive groceries have become over there. Also many supermarkets have less choice and more gaps on shelves. Given how low their welfare payments are when compared to ours you can see why so many people rely on food banks in England. I’m hoping it’s not a direction we are moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There is tension in the supermarkets these days, people going around with scowls on their faces (very few wearing masks now) and swearing when they see the prices. Also, I saw two women arguing over a packet of mince at the last day section, haven't seen that sort of thing since the days of the financial crisis. The mince was only reduced by around 50 cent meaning it was still dearer than the full price from a few weeks ago.

Things are going to get worse. It's really going to bite when winter arrives and people are using more heat and electricity, cars also use more fuel in wet and cold weather.

If you meal plan you should still be able to shop on a decent budget. It's the people who don't do a weekly shop but pick up things throughout the week that will be hardest hit.

SuperValu still giving €8 off your shop if you spend more than €40 (€10 off €50 with a saver card). So makes sense to plan and do big shops. They give the voucher when you pay, along with your receipt, to use next time, and it amazes me that people don’t bother getting it

I try to spend exactly €50.01 with every shop, and leave things behind at the checkout for next time once I hit that number

dont know how long they’ll be able to carry that on though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

People who are worried about their grocery bills are unlikely to be shopping in SuperValu, voucher or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Completely understandable that that's the sense. But I'm genuinely unsure that sense is accurate.

And this isn't popular what I'm about to say (I'm questioning myself over it too)

But they're doing it for a reason, in all cases it comes down to a combination of a lack of supply, and a willingness of people to pay.

Hotels for example, are basic 3 stars charging 300quid a night for the craic? They couldn't fill them at 80 quid a night 10 years ago. Are they quoting 300 quid just to leave all the rooms empty and go bust? No, they're charging it and filling their rooms, and still having demand.

Fuel and food suffering the same problems-the shipping routes, staffing issues, the decimation of "just in time" logistics has led to a huge drop in supply, missing items or irregular/uncertain amounts. Yet the global demand for those goods is still there. Hence price rises.

Similar to hotel rooms, 10 years ago we had supermarkets selling carrots for 9c a kilo, competing on various items as loss leaders simply to get people in the door. Restaurants were doing crazy cut price offers, some pubs 2.50 pints. The demand wasn't there, they needed footfall.

Remember in 2011 the calls to reduce vat to 9% so restaurants could either have a bit of breathing space, or lower their prices just to get customers in the door.

Funnily, I remember McDonald's advertising a Big Mac Meal slashed to about 5.75 at the time. https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2011/0630/303063-mibusiness/

The problem now is, we have a scarcity of products but strong demand.

Calls for introducing anything on the stimulus side of things is madness imo. Fuel on the fire. Pumping money into the economy only gives people extra money to throw at the same amount of goods, pushing prices further.

The supply issues need to be addressed. The logistics issues. But in all reality, the government cannot impact what is now a massive intertwined and global supply chain issue.

Vat cuts, grants, increase in money supply, that's what you do when a market is dead, to encourage people to go out and spend as per the examples of c. 2012. You don't do it now putting in more money, to chase the same amount of goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are CSO only measuring more expensive stuff? I know basic foodstuff went up by more

Milk went from 75c/l to 95c/l this year +30%

Bread went from 69c/loaf to 79c +15%

Eggs(6) went from 99c to 1.19 +20%

Cheese, Fresh Veg, Fruit, Poultry also gone up more

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/tighten-your-belts-cost-of-living-is-only-going-one-way-41744083.html

Advertisement