Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ombamiele at right full and mcguinnes in cb though.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Omobamidele is a much better centre back than McGuinness.

If you want to change the right back then put Ebosele in there.

That would be better. I think Mcguinness had a decent season at a decent level of football. Would be good if we could get himself and ombamidele into the team.

Getting really excited about the move for Bazunu now. The more I look at it they must be planning for him to be number1. NO way he'd have gone there otherwise. I'd imagine a season in the championship would have been more preferable than that. If the chap continues to develop at the level he has we will have a world class keeper on our hands in the next 2-3 years. Also if Southampton are relegated he won't end up stuck there either. City will have a back clause also and he will have no shortage of other offers either.

Exciting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Coleman has left camp and Egan won't be playing tomorrow.

O'Shea will obviously start. Will he go for Browne in a RWB from that start or will the ever poor Christie be back in? In fairness to Kenny not a lot to work with once Doherty and Coleman are out. Wouldn't be a game I'd start Festy in either.

Good article here from MON. To be fair not laying into Kenny but kinda asking the same questions most of the moderate media / fans are starting to ask. He even highlights the importance of beating the poorer teams in the group. Something I have said a lot. Again though results don't seem to matter when it comes to analysing kennys reign.

You know a win again a decent Scots side could save Kenny's bacon but it's really difficult to see. I think he'll be ushered out the door at the end of the nations league.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/a-couple-of-years-into-stephens-reign-youd-have-to-ask-martin-oneill-queries-direction-of-kenny-era-41739645.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Kenny may not be good enough, fair enough but some of the vitriol of "Irish fans" towards League of Ireland on here and on Twitter is just weird.

Is it the best standard in the world? Clearly not but the amount of hate some posters have to LOI I can't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think its a direct by-product of the extreme pro-LOI tilt that others have tbh.

• Advertisement

I'd throw Festy in and have Browne in midfield. We've nothing to really lose and Festy has the pace to cause trouble. Give him licence to push up and attack. Doherty is a massive lose as he picks up good positions in the final third and supports attacks.

Would try out:

.......................Travers

..........O'Shea - Duffy - Collins -

Festy - Molumby - ??? - McClean

...............Browne - Knight

......................Obafemi

I'd give Travers the last two games in this window with Bazunu out. For me he's our no.1 and we should give both back ups time this window to show what they have in competitive games.

Would consider O'Shea at RCB rather than LCB to make a possible back four if Festy pushes and McClean can hang back. O'Shea has played more at RB than Collins so would look at him on that side of a three.

Fresh legs have to go into midfield and you're gonna get more out of Molumby than Hourihane. It's probably a toss up whether you want to start Hendrick or Cullen. Ones barely played while the others play a lot this season but both guys can't start all four games. Just depends whether you want Cullen for better protection of the defence or Hendrick who could play passes through the lines.

Would play both Browne and Knight supporting Obafemi. Scotland will play Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, and probably Christie in midfield so would match them with that line up and both Browne and Knight playing.

Ogbene or Robinson aren't CFs so would start Obafemi so you've got someone pacey up there and with the two midfielders supporting the CF rather than playing Ogbene in one of those roles is why I'd throw Festy in and give him that bit more freedom to push up and attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I've seen very little of Testy. What is he like defensively? As he will be likely to against Robertson or maybe Hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Starting to lose faith in Kenny myself. Feel like the brand of football he’s trying to play is so basic there’s just no depth to it at all.

If he plays Enda and Cyrus at all again in the next 2 games I’ll have given up completely. They are miles away from the level, the offered zero last time out, not for the first time. The formation is hugely dependent on those two positions playing the two of them killed him mid week

I'd ordinarily agree soups. I don't think Christie should start regardless. He's dreadful. Is Manning going to be in the squad? It's possibly time to start him at LWB and see what he can offer. I'd leave McClean on the line. Much bettter coming into a game with 10-15 left. Here's what I'd go for

Travers

OShea Duffy Collins

Browne Molumby Cullen Knight Manning

Parrott

Obafemi

Defensively meh as he's not really a defender but we need a WB that's gonna offer an attacking threat. Would prefer him in a front three as he's more effective there though, and could throw Ogbene in there to see how he goes starting out as a RWB.

I'd say Scotland might give both lads a half each. Was surprised they gave Robertson 70mins against Armenia when they were two up at half time.

I'll never forget the absolute bile, hatred and toxic atmosphere this guy drummed up when we played them. Thank god for Alan McLoughlan.

• Advertisement

Plenty of live action Tuesday with both games being shown on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Shane Long has not been named in the released players list and is in talks over a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Feel the same alright. Can see wgat he wants to do, nice not to see the ball up in the rafters constantly, but need to do more with the ball faster. For majority of pro players, it's easy to play against. The need not to get an early goal makes games inevitable. Was going to say its u lucky that the worst results have been from long range shots, but 4 times may not be unlucky. Wouldn't want him gone, but needed results now and doesn't look like happening so can be no complaints.

The question is though...who next?

Does parrott still hang out and party with the kinahan gang members and would he be on the list of 600 people the fbi have banned from entering the america

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

No it’s not, and I find it disgusting to be honest. I’m proud to support my local club. The fact some think there’s something wrong with this quite frankly beggars belief. Is there something wrong with being pro LOI ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Don't see a ticket thread so posting here, apologies if out of order mods, Ticket for sale in East Stand BLK 107, Row N, €65 face value, will let it go for €30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yep. There’s no excuse for it. It’s pathetic actually and completely counterproductive to be belittling the domestic league while spending all their money and time watching EPL stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

I think Kenny needs both a win and a performance tomorrow to reduce some of the pressure on both him and the squad.

As others have said if we persist with the wing backs we need to change the personnel as they are crucial to provide the momentum in the system. We also need to get an extra body in midfield as well.

I would like to see us go to 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 to try and get more control in the middle of the park. But I can't see Kenny changing the system.

Whatever system and players are selected an improvement in both tempo and attitude is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No everyone can support whoever they want obviously. The issue is you get people then claiming that the Irish team is in the state it is because people follow Man Utd/Liverpool instead of local teams, you can see those posts post match, or below.

But the simple fact is the LOI is a small league. Some have delusions of grandeur about it being a hotbed of international players but it just isn't. Its improving definitely but its not at a great standard yet.

For years people have banged on about how whichever LOI flavour of the month should be starting for/managing Ireland. Be it Ritchie Towell, Graham Burke,Daryl Horgan or Stephen Kenny himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The main problem with the LOI is not people who support it or even the few with delusions of grandeur about it. It’s those Irish people that moan about the Irish football team being crap but have never but a penny towards the game here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

"The issue is you get people then claiming that the Irish team is in the state it is because people follow Man Utd/Liverpool instead of local teams, you can see those posts post match, or below."

I think this claim is quite valid though. Across Europe, the vast majority of players can start in a professional domestic league and if they're good enough move abroad around 21/22 for a decent transfer fee and with senior football under their belts already. Here, in part because we don't really have a proper professional structure, if a player doesn't move to England at 16 (and sit in an academy for another 4-5 years), then they can often stagnate around 18-21 because it's so hard to get a fully-pro contract at that stage. I think comparing the performances in the UEFA Youth League to senior European competitions highlight this.

More people supporting LoI clubs would put more money into the local game and create more professional spots, give young players a better chance of developing in line with almost everywhere else in Europe, and lead to a better national team.

And you can still follow Man Utd/Liverpool as well if you want. They're not mutually exclusive.

I agree LoI fans can tend to overestimate the league and its players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ogbene ruled out of tonight with a knock. Manning and Ebosele the two left out of the squad again tonight.

Suppose it hardly matters if he's called up, he's as unlikely as Talbot to play.

• Advertisement

Some interesting comments made by Gary Breen which I haven't seen made before.

Are they demanding enough of each other?

It seems that any mistakes on the pitch are responded to with words of encouragement, applauding and thumbs up. I’m not talking about waving arms for dramatic effect.

People can see through that. But what I’m looking for is that edge which comes with a really exacting environment, almost a fear of being culpable.

There’s a mistaken popular belief that Roy Keane was the only demanding presence in my Ireland team – the reality was you were scolded verbally or a with a look of utter disdain by the majority of the lads for an error...

My generation had snarling types but the characters viewed as ‘nice guys’, like Kevin Kilbane or Matt Holland or Steve Finnan or Richard Dunne, they would all quickly show their teeth and respond to any shortcomings.

That’s not visible in this current generation and it needs to be.

Aye thank god we don’t have ogbene’s ability to get on the scoresheet in a team that doesn’t score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Surprised Ebosele is out of the match day squad with Ogbene missing through injury.

Would expect Obafemi to start now at least though, love to see what he could do with more time. I presume Robinson will be out of the team too after starting both games? Has looked poor enough, and a bit sluggish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah would have thought Ebosele was a fairly direct replacement for Ogbene so strange he isn't in the squad. Reckon we will go something like this tonight, although I don't think we will get a result regardless.

Kelleher

Christie Collins Duffy O'Shea McClean

Browne Cullen Knight

Obafemi Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Anyone have any idea about expected numbers today? Plenty of scots about yesterday which was nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But at the same time, he's consistently shown himself to be one of our most dangerous threats through his pace and tenacity alone. He's not a centre forward, but he does have good instincts for where to be when he's in and around the box as an auxiliary player. But he needs players inside him both in midfield and CF to work off to get the best out of him. In the Armenia game for instance he kept getting isolated and having to come back onto his weaker foot to cross as no-one was making themselves available for the lay off. I could see him working better with Obafemi, who has been good at linking up with his wide men at Swansea, as well as forming a solid partnership with Piroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Have a feeling we'll be seeing Alan Browne at RWB today...

Rules for judging Irish squad members

have more than 30 caps: you’re useless (hendrick) or past it (Coleman/Duffy)

you have being average in most recent games but were good before: you are terrible, how do you expect to support a family being this bad (ogbene, Robinson, Parrott)

you’re a fringe player but was good in the last game; you’re the answer, why don’t you get picked every game (obafemi, knight)

you’ve never being capped but showed well in a couple of games ; we all know you are special and great but the manager is clueless (obsele, smallbone)

moral of the story; average footballers have average games. All our players are average, It doesn’t mean you are destined to be terrible forever or the lads not getting picked will be anything other than average

Strange that Festy was dropped from the match day squad, unless he's also got a knock. With Coleman out and now Ogbene would have assumed he'd be back in again but drops out for Hogan.

We've lost leadership in the defence with Coleman and Egan now missing. Be interesting to see if Lenihan actually starts. Feel a bit bad for Manning that he can't get a look in at a match day squad whatsoever. Hopefully the Adaramola to Coventry links happen and we see Bagan push on at club level with Cardiff. Doherty is missed badly with the positions he picks up in the final third especially coming in field to support attacks. When you see highlights of games Bagan has played you notice him getting into similar positions for Cardiff.

• Advertisement

Maybe festy came, trained and looked a level or two off it. I don’t find it strange. He’s got one season of senior football behind him.

Then how did he make the match day squad the other night. This isn't me saying FFS why isn't Ebosele there Kenny hasn't a clue. Just find it strange he was brought in to replace Coleman in the match day squad when he was ruled out, now Coleman and Ogbene are ruled out but Hogan now makes the match day squad.

Neither would see a minute but thought he'd go with the lad that offers more versatility. CJ and Keane will surely get on ahead of Hogan who'll probably only see game time in friendlies like Lithuania or a big injury crisis.

Browne has played right midfield and right back for Preston.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hopefully these are the last 2 painful 90 minutes of this ridiculous experiment and we can get a proper manager in for the next international window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

If he had no intention of playing Ebosele then why didn't he leave him with the U21s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Speaking of the LOI the absolute scum at the game between Longford and Bray last night is unfortunately typical, absolute knacks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Apart from the reason I’ve already given. There’s a question of whether ebosele wants to play for the 21s. Didn’t he leave the last squad he was called into with no reasons given why? And then unfollowed the fai on his socials and deleted any pictures of him playing for Ireland.

my own feelings are the way out of this mess are unlikely to majorly involve an uncapped young lad.

we need midfield to high press and tackle, not a late press as seen vs Ukraine

I hope you never go to a premier league game so. Those "fans" last night were a disgrace, but typical it most certainly is not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Unless Kenny changes things from a style perspective I think you are correct. Formation etc make it simple for the players all knowing their jobs.

I was thinking it is ironic that Kenny seems as stubborn as Jack Charlton. Zero variation. Differences are Charlton had the players to play any style.

But I would argue because Charlton kept it simple had a structured system (which was solid and a constant threat) he was successful where others before him and after failed. As some detractors like to say it was hoofing the ball.

But this is not true it was planned chaos against the opponents. The ball had to go in the corners for the ‘runners’ to go behind. The team pressed. The opposition defence was turned.

It allowed Charlton and Ireland to overachieve. And let’s not forget it was Charlton who brought ‘pressing’ into international football. It is now called gegenpressing. Charlton’s style was not pretty. But Jayus it was effective! It brought overachievement.

Kenny is doing the opposite no structure, no plan. Easy to play against no threat. Limited as his players are, his idealistic nature is making them underachieve.

Kenny is finding out the hard way now that with very limited technical footballers you cannot be effective with that slow build up style in international football. Top managers such as MON and Trappatoni knew this but were ridiculed for it. It was not playing football ‘the right way’.

If you look at McCarthy’s two tenures he copped this. And went for pragmatism not idealism in his second stint. Common sense, of which Kenny has none.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In my experience it's typical, I've seen plenty of assaults both inside and outside the stadium and I've just been to a few rovers games. Been to around 12 premier league games and seen plenty of aggro but no assaults.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Typical of Rovers so is it? Vast majority of games have no trouble. We've all seen fans break into a stadium in the pl, and lots of scenes of areas in stadiums getting smashed up. Seems to be more a football problem rather than a LOI thing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement