Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nose job - Turkey vs Ireland which to choose

• 09-06-2022 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had rhinoplasty or any other kind of cosmetic surgery done in Ireland or Turkey? Turkey is half the price plus you get to stay in a nice hotel for a week recovering. Turkey has an excellent reputation for plastic surgery. But like anywhere there might be con artists and I’m worried about how to choose. I’d feel more trusting in Ireland - but haven’t really liked too many of the after pictures and Ireland doesn’t have a good reputation for surgery as it’s not common enough, whereas the Turkish ones are doing several a day.

What would you go for? Can’t find any reviews online and the decision is driving me nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You only have one nose. Get it done here would be my advice.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Don't get it done in roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Don't get it done at all.

I don't know how you got to a point in your life where you decided that your nose needs to be changed. Social media I presume, seeing as women are lining up for plastic surgery like never before - propelled by instagram and unrealistic beauty standards.

Slight imperfections make people look more beautiful, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Somebody broke my nose so I just want to fix that. I won’t touch the rest of myself, I have no desire to look like a barbie doll. I don’t use Instagram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going to Turkey and making a holiday too of it isn’t to be sniffed at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

After the story of that northern Irish woman, and her teeth, I wouldn’t be going anywhere for cheaper surgery, cosmetic or otherwise.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Fair enough. I hope the surgery goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I read a horror story on r/plasticsurgery.

Surgeon messed up, destroyed her. Do your homework out the wazoo on finding someone reliable in Turkey.

I've heard wonderful things but not something you want to go wrong with.

At least in Ireland you have recourse, Turkey the surgeon can basically ignore you if things go wrong.

Read-read-read, if you have 100% confidence and a series of flawless recommendations, maybe Turkey could be considered?

Otherwise I personally wouldn't chance it.

That being said I only looked into this previously from a dental point of view (and LASEK eye surgery), not plastic.

Youtube has some good video logs of patients who has their work done in Turkey, good place to see a first hand accounting of things.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've never had surgery done in Turkey but I've looked after people in an Irish hospital following post op complications from procedures done in Turkish facilities (all found on Facebook apparently). Tummy tuck (two different people) and breast augmentation. All had infections that required iv antibiotics and one of the women who had a tummy tuck was in for almost a month and was sent home with VAC therapy*.

So I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but ymmv.

*Explanation of VAC therapy:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/vacuumassisted-closure-of-a-wound

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check other EU countries to see what their pricing is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The Irish nose did tend to be “button” like, and so shouldn’t require any work.

Turkish nose tends to be quite large and indeed “hooked” so would require extensive filing down, indeed this is where the term “rhino”plasty is thought to originate from maybe you’ve seen a poachers work in Africa. I suppose another comparison would be Escape from Alcatraz? It’s quite the job.

The term “Rhinoplasty” comes from the Ancient Greek words for nose, and plassein, which means to shape. It is more likely that the animal derived its name from the same Greek word for nose.

Op, as with all medical procedures, do your research and do not rely solely on the internet/site reviews, they are marketing material. Check the qualifications of the surgeon, an article earlier in the year reported that under 20% of the most popular clinics on Instagram had the qualifications required in Ireland to do the procedures. And, consider aftercare, particularly if there are complications. This procedure could be life changing, hopefully for the better, but you have to consider for the worse.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/boom-in-pandemic-cosmetic-tourism-backfires-41364335.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd be alarmed at some recent reports on medical procedures being done in Turkey to be honest, admitidly some of surgeries that went wrong were more complex than that of OP"s procedure but nonetheless, I'd still be very very wary of having major surgery abroad, generally & regardless of cost, obviously surgery can go wrong in Ireland too but I'd rather be home if something did go wrong or there was complications, just a personal opinion, no judgments intended.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

In terms of that article those too Instagram places weren’t pretending to be plastic surgeons but openly were advertised as what they were. All of those procedures were things like butt lifts. I’m thinking that it’s less risky going to a qualified surgeon in Turkey for rhinoplasty - but I’m unsure how to find out anything about them other than from their own websites and that’s the scary part.

I have my deposit for a house saved and this is going to eat into that, if i had my house already I could afford to do it in Ireland as my mortgage would be a lot less than my rent is currently. But I don’t think I want to wait years and I feel it might be years before I find a place.

The "horror story" I mentioned was a simple rhinoplasty where the surgeon filed down her cartilage excessively, including nerve impingement.

I can't find it but this sub is a gold mine of info.

I'm definitely an advocate of enhancement/cosmetic surgery as, like yourself I've had necessary work done (from accidents).

My face would be pretty messed up without a good surgeon.

Having asked around in Ireland already about good cranio-facial surgeons (made a series of appointments, paid a lot of money to find the best), I mean, an incompetent could mess your life up (as I read one dudes reviews after, that's exactly what he did with several patients). And a good surgeon do the opposite.

That r/ has so many case reports of both sides of the story, and it's wonderful to see an excellent outcome.

Devastating when it goes wrong.

Scroll through + use the search function; lots of links/information.

Where did you ask around if you don’t mind me asking? Did you ask your gp? I find it just as difficult getting information about surgeons based in Ireland

Oh and thanks for the Reddit link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

I just went to my GP and got a referral (deviated septum from a break years ago). Was waiting a couple of years for the appointment but it was all free apart from the overnight stay charge.

did that change the appearance of your nose? While the breathing issue is annoying the main reason I was this done is to no longer be self conscious about the appearance of my nose

• Advertisement

That was obviously public.

Assuming OP is looking for a private surgeon.

Yes, I don’t think public is an option because I want the appearance altered as well as the breathing issues fixed. At the time of breaking my nose I was offered surgery on the public system but i was too frightened to have it done. I had one operation (non cosmetic) to knock the bone back into place and the recovery put me off having anything else done. But I feel differently now!

My GP is very well informed, but I wouldn't ever bother inquiring with them about something like this.

I checked the register of all the major public, private and best hospitals for a list of their consultants/surgeons in this area.

I rang their secretaries, I confirmed their areas of expertise and speciality.

I cross referenced all that with reviews I could find of them on google; cranio-facial, plastic, maxilofacial and ENT's.

I ensured all my information was correct using the appropriate reddit forums, in some cases contacting oversea's surgeons.

I posted about it somewhere on boards also and got some feedback.

I checked the compiled list of consultants for who was who and who stood out (turned out the senior consultant from St James who also practices privately was the person I went with).

I contacted him privately and sought an opinion.

Then I made appointments with three different consultants and having met with them, hit them with all my questions, and in perspective of all of the above, I felt very confident in the choice I'd made and proceeded (the result was flawless, and he said after it was a complicated and difficult job, i.e. anyone but him would almost certainly have fucked it up).

Basically if someone's coming at my face with a scalpel + pair of pliers, I want to be 100% sure I've made the best possible choice to minimize the risk any possible damage, optimize the probability of the best possible result.

Did you have to get your nose packed after the realignment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭standardg60

I was asked whether the appearance bothered me (it didn't), so only got the septoplasty, but if it's an issue for you they'll take that into account.

Gold mine, information wise.

Read it, search it, post in it, follow links you find in it.

It has several board certified verified surgeons (they'll have a "verified plastic surgeon" etc., tag on their screen name), that can give very good insight.

Many contributors post pictures and seek out opinions re the desired results.

Getting this from a practicing surgeon could be worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I agree about the unrealistic beauty standards well unless you are me. I'm so perfect in everyway it's not easy to be me. Hot young women do stop me in the street asking me if I am a model and I say yes, I am actually. I get with hot 18 year old girls all the time and the most common thing they say when they pull down my trousers is what the hell is that how will that fit in here.

I’ve decided to stick with Ireland. There was actually a consultation I went for a good few years ago but then I chickened out. Couldn’t remember his name and couldn’t find him but did this morning so I’m going to book another consultation and go for it. Hopefully there is no crazy waiting list. Thanks for all the advice. I’m also considering eye bag surgery but want to try getting more sleep / improving diet and treating allergies better first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭sporina

• Advertisement

I really don’t think it is appropriate for one person to tell another that they are wrong to want to change something about their appearance which they are unhappy with. It is incredibly inconsiderate , and ignorant. Have we not gone past the point where we tell people what they should and shouldn’t do with their own body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I agree I used to have a 12 inch penis and everyone told me to get it reduced so I did and there isn't a day gone by that I am not sorry for getting it done.

• Advertisement

Think the current rapidly increasing culture of plastic surgery, lip fillers, botox, nose jobs etc is extremely badly guided by social media pressures and always, always looks worse.

Whether it looks better or worse is subjective, and is a matter only for the person it applies to. There is a difference between body dysmorphia and someone who wants to improve for example a large bump on their nose. You don’t know the op or why they want a rhinoplasty, so I’m struggling to see why you think you are in a position to comment on whether he/she should have surgery.

Its not subjective.

Id wrote a reply to you earlier....but theirs no point...im out.

Of course it is subjective, it’s the personal opinion of the person who has undergone the procedure. They may think it is great, you might think it isn’t, that is the essence of subjectivity.

• Advertisement

I see people going around with these big hoops in their ears that they need to see a surgeon to get fixed afterwards.

These people are gobsh1tes. And they look it.

And theirs to many many lads running around with balls and boobs for my liking, thanks in no small part to their f*ked up childhood and Instagram. Videoing themselves and posting it online. And to many surgeons happy to do this to them for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭sporina

"assumptions" ... "assume"... "ass out of U - ass out of ME"

ie: NEVER assume - fact check 1st!

Advertisement