Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Whoops! Guilty as charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A common sense approach on the road can sometimes mean as much as the rules of the road.

Let the bigger guy in front make his move. Slow down. Wait. Patience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Unfortunately, once he was in front it then became your responsibility to not hit him :(

i think there's a bit more nuance than that - if someone pulls into the clear space you had maintained in front of you, they are the ones who have created the dangerous gap, and not you. i don't know if the law would reflect that subtlety, and without video footage, it's going to be very difficult to prove it wasn't a straightforward rear ending.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well this is a whole world of incorrect, overtaking on the left is completely legal for bicycles

Weirdly the OPs reply wasn't there when I opened the thread, the new site seems to be annoyingly weird with some new posts temporarily being doubled and others not actually appearing (for me anyway) for awhile after.

Not sure you could have had his guts for garters, as many have said, not enough details given but without anymore detail, there was potential for the Super to direct a FPN against you (had it done to me for a collision that was my fault, guy in front of the car I was behind brake checked him, he dropped anchor and my brakes chose this moment not to be as good as normal. Hit the car at walking speed but the back window exploded even though the force I put on it would have been equivalent to leaning against it lightly). Most insurers will just cover the windscreen as its covered under fully comp for free (at least the 1st one) and to get the costs and arrange payment, with the risk you would fight it, it's cheaper just not too. Be under no illusion, insurance companies won't fight something if it will be cheaper to just pay on balance, even if their client is 100% in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Squatman

Thanks for that richard head, made it very easy to fully discredit you - see below

However as a cyclist you cannot overtake on the inside if the vehicle you intend to overtake:

• Is signalling an intention to turn to the left and will move to the left before you overtake it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

He got away with **** driving and you got away with slamming into the back of him and damaging his car, all well that ends well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep pretty much, though may have been different if i hadn't been able to walk away.

They were young, unfamiliar with the area, maybe late for something they were meant to attend and mind was elsewhere, so happy to forgive and forget.

Having to put in a claim on their insurance hopefully made them a more conscious and courteous driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

105 rims, funny given the other thread on rim brakes. I have them tuned to only lock the wheel when fully depressed, so goes to show what effect a 'death grip' has!

They probably saved me from going through the back window, as the momentum of the bike threw me right over the car. I still have no idea how the SPDs released so easily, but they did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But that's not what happened if you've read the op. The cycle lane is also a separate lane so that vehicle has to treat traffic there (IE bikes) as it would a car on its inside lane

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You've nothing to forgive, but the driver of the car has, he may have felt bad about it so took it upon himself to fix it but ultimately you're the 1 on the wrong, if you hadn't walked away you'd still be in the wrong because you hit him from behind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Without dashcam or cctv it's hard to give a definitive answer to this OP

any chance of obtaining cctv?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think the shop beside the incident holds CCTV for 5 years so you might get lucky 😉

Advertisement