Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Charlie69

There has to be a place somewhere in that team for a fit P. Walsh. He's one of the best hurlers on the panel with huge experience of the big occasion and if we can't find a place for someone as versatile as Padraig then there's something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'm also a big fan of John Donnelly and I'd have him in from the start. Billy Ryan frustrates the life out of me, I keep waiting for this lad to catch fire. The chap has all the tools and is capable of so much more than he has shown so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

We won't see many changes. I'd put Padraig into midfield and put Kenny and Donnelly in the forwards instead of Leahy and Ryan. We also need to work out a way to get Eoin Cody into the game. He has been marked out of it in the last two matches. Centre forward maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

he just doesn't start well, dont know why. Would prefer to see Billy Ryan starting if he's to play at all, he's not going make any great impact coming on as a sub, some day it will click hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I think when a player has pace you sometimes tend to overrate them because they look exciting and dangerous on the ball.

Ryan's scoring rate of barely a point a match (over nearly a 6-year period) is way too low for a corner forward.

Cody and Mullen (even with a bad dip in form 2021) are way ahead of that, and that's why there is rarely debate over their selection if fit.

I'd have Donnelly and Maher starting every time as they are better shooters thanthose often picked ahead of them (Walter, Buckley, Fogarty,).

To have a chance versus Clare (let alone Limerick) we will need to be deadly accurate. You can talk all you want about work rate (which was terrific) but we nailed Galway principally on better shooting accuracy.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Is Fogarty our only midfield player to last a full match in months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

He done some amount of work with out touching the ball. Tracked the 3rd runner in the off the shoulder phases. Totally confused the patterns. A hell of a lot of ball broke down between halfway line and our 45 which the 2 boys used pretty well mostly. A lot easier to play good ball forward when you can look up straight away after getting possession compared to having to turn and then look up. Also less lads around to block and tackle when the play broke down.

gonna have to double check my scores but I have Billy at 3-15 and Donnelly at 1-6 this year from play. Billys got a lot more game time to be fair but I dont think Donnelly has been going all that well so far, hopefully he can pick it up, when going well I would prefer to have him playing, no comparison in being able catch a ball too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

A few days for us all to reflect on the poor match but we all agree if we were told walking out of nowlan Park after the wexford match that you'd win the u20 all Ireland and leinster final you'd take the hand off them. Alot of talk about the few goal chances galway missed we also had 3 or 4 chances we could of got. A little more awareness and less selfish we could of worked two goals.We'll need to convert these the next day. We all know that performance won't win a semi final so we're in a good position going into the semi final and not like the Dublin match where maybe some believed we were better than we were. Players going to training the next few weeks will know places are up for grabs especially in the forwards.Daragh corcoran and James bergin were starting and coming on last year amd now can't make the match squad.We see how leahy,fogarty and browne came from no where. Cody will know he'll need more spark in the forwards but its important to have a few subs who can help get the game over the line. Our subs were better than galways.Mullen has regained a bit of form so this is a plus. It was great to see tjs radar back. Eoin cody was a threat the other night but as others have said we need to get him more involved and maybe a move out to the half forward line like the league match against cork would be no harm.ji I thought mossy worked like a dog and isn't a bad goal getter but don't think he'll get 4 or 5 points from play but I'd hold on to mossy for the next day. I agree that surely to god we have to start padraig the next day and I'd also throw in donnelly. These two are able to score I know donelly is probably better coming on when it opens up Mullen,padraig,donnelly,cody,mossy,tj is my front 6. There's still a spot up for grabs in mf. Fogarty does alot of dirty work and breaks up play. I thought he was very good the other night and completely nullified monaghan who was having a great year.Its a pity maher has slipped back a bit.He could go for browne here but his touch and striking let's him down at times.

Thank god we didn't revert to route one when the pressure came on but as others said the trick now is to learn how to get more out of the forwards.galway probably helped us by missing a few frees and it sucked the life out of them but our lads deserve credit for the high workrate and forced them into mistakes. Murphy who I've being critical of here he picked out mullen a few times and he got a few scores.

It would be great to see Hogan on the bench the next day but I wouldn't hold my breath.I heard he was moving well before the leinster final.While butler had a good game and done a good job on mannion I didn't think he was man of the match. I would of gave it to tj,mullen or deegan but no one will begrudge him obviously. He's a good bit of stuff and has being a big help to us.Anyone watching this lad the last few years will know he could have a great county career. It would be great to see him fill out no corner forward would like facing him.He done well on dessie,Rory o and now cathal mannion. O loughlins will fancy their chances in the championship especially with joey and Colin gone from the shamrocks.

I was told that Billy drennan or none of the u20s were called into the senior set up and its probably the right decision. Hopefully alot of these lads can keep going with s&c and hopefully we'll see a few of them early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Was interesting to hear Cody's quotes about not having a settled team at moment in contrast to every other team....We are always chopping and changing our midfield's and forwards in particular it's frustrating when we've lads who will go to town one day but won't be seen the next.

The Form of Billy Ryan and Wally in particular last few games is a concern, Wally's bit of bite, hunger and aggression that he was showing in spades this year has disappeared, John Donnelly was hurling much better in his 1st 3 years on panel than the last 2.

Padraig Walsh I would definitely have back in team aswell most likely in half forward line in my opinion. Will be interesting to see where Cian Kenny plays in semi final and I assume Fogarty will play it'll be just a matter of who is alongside him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

they didn't initially as when lohan came over to kiely he was being embraced and didn't see lohan. shortly afterwards on the field they met warmly and shook hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

From the outside looking in Kilkenny just need to get their most accurate shooters on the field from here on in. Padraig Walsh is definately one of them, Donnelly I'm not as certain on. Against Clare and Limerick and even Wexford Kilkenny won't have the bulk of possession but accuracy is what beat Limerick in 2019. That and an early goal. Alot needs to go right for Kilkenny to beat a Clare but who's to say Eoin Cody won't catch fire and score 2 goals. Definately they have work to do but Kilkenny are in a good position. If Cork beat Galway and Wexford beat Clare then it's Cork v Kilkenny. Iv said it before, I don't see Kilkenny living with a Cork. Everyone else are beatable for ye.

I saw Richie Reid in a photo of challengers left in the All Ireland series. He's a fine player and played well the last day but in comparison with the other guys he doesn't look athletic.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

My team for semi final -

E Murphy

M Butler, H Lawlor, T Walsh

M Carey, C Delaney, R Reid

C Fogarty, P Deegan/C Browne/D Blanchfield

TJ Reid , J Donnelly, A Mullen

B Ryan/P Deegan, M Keoghan, E Cody

Think i would have leahy in ahead of browne or blanchfield in midfield. Billy Ryan to start if he's to play, he's not an impact sub. No Padraig Walsh?

Deegan in midfield then? I'm not convinced that the P Walsh experiment is working. Haven't seen enough of Leahy.

yeah, be happy enough with deegan in midfield. Was Leahys first game in a long time, thought he did ok considering the amount of time he missed. Padraigs got 27 points so far this year, he wasn't going to get anything lumping ball into him in the middle of that Dublin half back line, assume its due to that game he hasn't played much if he didn't pick up an injury, not sure we have many great scoring options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Hard to pick before we know the opposition but id go with.

E Murphy

M Butler, H Lawlor, C Delaney

M Carey, R Reid P Deegan

C Fogarty, P Walsh

E Cody, J Donnelly, A Mullen

TJ Reid, M Keoghan, C Kenny

I agree on Leahy. It's just frustrating, especially for himself, to watch him underperform or pick up an injury so often. He'd be an enormous addition if going really well. Were most of P Walsh's scored in the league when the experiment worked?

Wouldn't disagree except C Kenny would need a big improvement on last Saturday. He looked completely lost. Perhaps the early yellow card didn't help. Thankfully A Mullen wasn't affected by his yellow - hopefully it's a sign of him maturing! Would P Walsh have the legs for midfield? P Deegan excels in matches like last Saturday. I'm not convinced his best position is in the backs.

himself browne and delaney have missed so much time with injuries, doesn't seem like they got close to their potential. Always thought delaney would have nailed down the full back spot before now, never worked out. Maher in midfield has gone back a long long way from where he was too.

A lot of the scores were league alright but he was pretty consistent overall, 0-5 vs waterford, 0-2 vs cork to pick some out, not all against poor opposition. Championship he got 0-4 vs westmeath, 0-4 vs laois, 0-2 vs galway in first game, nothing against dublin and hasn't played much since, a point in both the wexford and galways games

• Advertisement

Edit: Mullens playing a lot better, would like to keep him out of midfield though, roams too much for me. If its not Leahy, then either deegan up or padraig. I would still have deegan on the field over richie reid if there was a choice between the two in the half back line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

August 2021

Henry: Brian, I will take you up on your offer to join your management team.

Brian: Good man, Henry. There is a problem though, the players we have at the moment are poor. Any other manager would be struggling to get them to beat Westmeath or Laois. We might beat Wx or Dublin but not a chance we'll beat Galway. Would you go up and manage Galway?

Henry: Put the breaks on them? Hold them back? We'll never get away with that. Everyone knows that we are good mates.

Brian: Don't hold Galway back during the round robin match. After the match, I will hold on to your hand for a few seconds longer than normal and everyone will think that we are at loggerheads.

Henry: Surely people will not be fooled that easily?

Brian: Trust me, Henry. In the final then, Monaghan is a good midfielder. Play him at half forward. Play Cathal Mannion in the corner. Bring on Jason Flynn. That should do it.

Henry: And hold on to the handshake for a few seconds again?

Brian: No. I will shake hands with everyone in the stadium and ignore you. Then, you come up to me with a sour puss on you.

Henry: That will win Leinster for us, Brian. What about the rest of the campaign?

Brian: I have it on good authority that Tipp are sending LC into Waterford to bring disruption to their team. In 2023, we are hoping to send EB into Lk. He will have everyone up there fighting each other. Jackie could do a job on Limerick, MF could hold back Tipp, DL has volunteered for Cork, DH for Clare.

Henry: You are a genius, Brian

Glad Fahy was caught. Stamping on an injured player like he did deserves the two match ban.

As for the other two incidents, so much for letting the game flow while ignoring so many minor fouls, yellow card incidents and sending off offences.

Did this happen from any other games over last few years??

surely limerick should have had a few lads suspended..

I dont remember anything as high profile as this happening but I suppose the fact that these players weren't booked on the day gives them the scope. We have to go down the route of tmo sooner rather than later.Players are putting in so much now. It took a few minutes the other day to check hawkeye in Thurles and it didn't slow the game down that much. I was sitting in croke park Saturday night and I didn't see the stamp but within a few minutes it's was everywhere circulating on WhatsApp.Everyone is hooked up to microphones so stop the clock and check these incidents.

Yeah id agree. Like a captains call. Maybe get 1 request for a video review each game ..

I'd have no problem reviewing the 3 or 4 controversial incidents during the match. Stop the clock and review it. We certainly need to try something because players and management are putting so much into it. Clare will feel aggrieved tonight but the appeal process is a bit of a joke they could get away with it.It was a clare man that dived a few weeks ago and got hegarty sent off this should of being investigated at the time because no one likes to see players feigning injury.Fahy will have to take his medicine that was dirty and he deserves to miss a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm not disagreeing with your point about using TMO/VAR etc., but the two times that Haweye was used (in Croke Park on Saturday and then in Thurles on Sunday) was a disaster and it felt like the matches were stopped for an eternity.

• Advertisement

Thurles took about two minutes and yet only 2 minutes added at half time which was a joke. I know I agree it was and is slow but the point I make is over the two matches hawkeye was only used twice and for the controversial decisions its only a a few per match and I think most players would agree we have the technology and we could do worse things than try it next year in the league but then we'll have the debate the lower divisions put in the same effort will they have the technology available? I think its only a matter of time before we see it. Hegarty got sent off for nothing against clare and if that was our player In a 3 weeks time we'd be disgruntled.

Advertisement