Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@FintanMcluskey ye know yer Walla Walla's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ah I've seen it evaporate over the years. My spending power has gone way down. I'm just trying to help a family member out. I'll still get use of it if I want to and it's not my idea.

And anyways, money is worthless when it sits in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree about money in a bank to some extent. However machinery deprecates in value no matter what some try to tell you. At present we are an upper end of a machinery value cycle. This can change fast. I would consider fencing and a water system ahead of machinery.

A lot depends on your ability to write off farm losses against tax as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I bought my 1st tractor a 390 for 14k punts in 2000 has put up 6k hours surely worth 16/17 k now

I bought my 2nd tractor a 399 for 20k in 2010 has put up 5 k hours worth 20 k still ,no depreciation on good 2nd tractors

Most machinery that is anyway minded has not depreciated much in 20 years ,biggest problem is if you sell it ,you give back half in tax!!

No I wouldn't be writing it off against tax as I'm not the farmer.

I know machinery depreciates but at least you have an asset you get the use of.

In any case, the family member will be buying something anyways so I don't mind spending. Why save money if its not going to be spent.

• Advertisement

A tractor like a 110hp tractor. Would you need to take a lot of care with a Bale in the front loader?

One used now is very heavy so no worries at all about height or speed with Bale on front.

Neighbour has 100 hp and inexperience bloke came down off a slab of concrete without much care and wheels came up at the back for a second. When I checkee the specs online that tractor weight came up around 3.8 or 3.9t which seems very light? 110hp tractors seem to be about a tonne heavier.

And what are your thoughts on those dyna gearboxes with no clutching?

A lot depends on the bale and the speed you are traveling at. A bale can vary from 600kgd-1k, depending on DM and baler. As well you have to factor in the height the bale is at. A lot of lads carry a bale off the stack and never lower the boom going across the yard. Modern tractors are way lower in weight V HP.

After that you have to factor in the driver and how much of a rush he is in and how knowledge he is around tractors.

Do you know PH you have more money than when I started ( I bought the place so I was virtually broke) but you seem to have less knowledge of farming as a business( not a critism just an observation). I would be really interested in seeing how you get on. You seem to have interest in it which is an advantage but you need to look at it from a business POV.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

In my experience yes you do need to take care....how much depends on the weight of the bale, how fast you are travelling and/or if you are turning and how sharply, the loader itself and if it's the right size for the machine and how high/extended it is etc.......go overboard on any of these areas and it'll tip (probably not seriously) if it has no counterweight at the back....it does exert very significant leverage on that bracket of tractors ......but if you take it handy, lower it when you need to and keep the speed reasonable and it will be fine.....you'll get a feel for it in no time if you are at it and your not an impatient sort.......

Lad locally filled a blue barrel with cement and it has a three point linkage sticking out of it...uses that as his counter weight

I never bother with that with a light enough fairly modern 95hp yard tractor feeding bales during the winter on less than ideal surface. I Just take it handy......if I was transporting an odd few bales on the road..a double Bale handler on the back would be the counter weight.

Ha! I'm fortunate I have a decent job that pays OK and I don't really waste money or spend money reckless.

I'm not looking to input all the cost myself. There is a trade in so maybe if be looking at putting in 20 or 25k. The one I'd be looking to help out, it's something I'd like to do to help them rather than make it a financially viable decision.

I could be sitting here in 30 years time with loads of money thinking why didn't I just spend a bit of money at the time when I could have made the last 10 or 15 years of their farming life a bit more comfortable.

I am assuming here. I think its a place you are going to inherit from an aunt or uncle. You still have to look at it as a business. A lot depends on the farm. Is it a 20-25 cow suckler farm or a calf to beef or store to beef farm or a calf to beef farm.

A lot of lads end up with land and have no vision of where they are going. Do a green cert, form a partnership basically work the system. This is a tough game its dog eat dog at times. It's business at its rawest especially as a small farmer.

I have being there wore the jersey and from an arrogant point of view walked out the other end.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I’ve wore the shirt, doesn’t get any better than that.

You're correct.

I'm not working it yet as I live in the city but in a few years I'll likely get more involved.

It's hard to imagine giving up a decent off farm job and I don't have children or any family so suckler seems impossible. Switching to dry stock would seem the most likely eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Spend on concrete, fencing and sheds before you upgrade an already ok tractor. They are the things that make life easier. (As long as your tractor is reliable and capable)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@Pussyhands be careful about buying a tractor that is too big/tall as it may not fit into some of the existing sheds etc.

It's one thing I've already thought of 😁😁😁😁

It's one thing I noticed first when looking at tractors is that they all seem much higher than our current one but wasn't sure if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. Heights of the sheds are measured. Thanks 😊

Did you think about buying a good second hand telehandler/loader instead of a tractor, they come with all the attachments that any farmer needs. If I had the money I would buy myself a nice tidy pivot loader with the boom out the front as opposed to it on the side.

Ideally yes but need the tractor for transporting cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Realistically no small farmers can justify a dedicated materials handler.

You'll pay as much for a telehandler as a fresh tractor

I meant instead of upgrading the existing tractor buy a second hand telehandler instead.

What about something like a clean Matbro TR200. If they are only feeding a few hundred bales a year it would more than suffice. I used to have a second hand one a lifetime ago and other than the power transport box for the tractor it was the most used implement on the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭DBK1

2003 Massey Ferguson 4370

Surely a mistake in the price!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not in that stable. They had a fiat 88-94 at €28000 iirc a while back. At least they will put up a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

2 years ago they had a 1999 6210 se john deere for 26k plus vat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is it me or is this thread rapidly turning into a tractor version of dreamer of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’d be more nightmare of the year if all you ended up with was an old 5000 and €28k gone from your bank account!

Sorry I didn't make it clear what I meant...there used to be a thread, think it was on the motors forum called dreamer of the year for adds for cars with mental prices on them ... the dreamer being the lad advertising it!

I agree it would be a nightmare to end up with a 5000 in exchange for 28k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

It’s not even particularly well done either.

I’m not a Ford man but a few things stand out at first glance..,,the one piece side windows, I’m pretty sure these were split windows with one half sliding. The tail lights are not the correct ones either. The front weights are all over the shop. There are probably a good few other details that I can’t spot.

Edit to add that the Left hand door is a disgrace and the head lights are gammy too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No exhaust rain cap, no leveling box. Front grill, seat and I suspect nose cone are all spurious. Front wheels are wrong, indicators, and perhaps air intake are wrong too. I'll stop now. There's other lads that know a lot more than I do. But I do like the asking price!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/31552615

Massey Ferguson 188

😅😅😅

Advertisement