Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

soft! :)

I'd say bring both...i'm driving so easy for to pack a few options. Hiking boots for me whether it's wet or dry.

Getting excited now - still some minor concerns over '1st time teething issues' but sure it should be great craic. If we can get some half decent weather that'll be mighty fine

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Gunner5

Cheers, I'll bring both :) . Hopefully it turns out to be good. I thought with so little communications it may be cobbled together. But some fantastic DJs in there just a bit disappointed with the Johns Talabot and Bonobo clash :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I hope its not to breezy up there like here in Galway, have a good weekend dudes.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Jaysus lads, I hope ye're avoiding the monsoon like showers! Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hopefully the weather is better for ye than it is in Dublin :/. Have a better folks! :)

• Advertisement

And so ends the national weather from Boards.ie. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thoughts are with those going to the festival today, I'm struggling to remember a day that the weather was this poxy. Hopefully the ground holds up and the next two days are an improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Gutted I can't get down (sick). Had tickets and comfy camping bought on Monday as well based on what I thought was going to be decent weather as well. Can't even get rid of the tickets due to weather (although people saying it's ok down Wicklow)..but Dublin was off putting!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Hi, if you are stuck with the comfy camping tickets, please PM me, I'll give you something for them. Heading tomorrow on a Sunday ticket and was going to just lump into gen pop...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I wonder what its like up there today, the weather has settled quite nice here in Galway so I can imagine even nicer up in Wicklow. How did Four Tet's set go, I'd say that was nice in the woods.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

Who do I contact to complain about the music which has been going since Friday ight till the early hours through to now, very loud base and its almost 1 am

Nobody in this thread anyway, Roisín. It'll all be over soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

You need to ring the organisers and tell them to drop the bass.

Beverly Hills, California

Any reports back from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Was a good vibe with some organisational issues. Got in first thing Friday so we'd gotten setup before it pissed down. Was hella windy all weekend. Rain mostly stayed away after Friday. Saw quite a few tent casualties to that. Bigger tents looked like a nightmare. Mallets were like gold dust. We were in Comfy Camping. They ran out of water constantly so some toilets were out of service, showers and a few shops too. I didn't see much value for the 60 quid extra (by two). In general toilets across the site seemed top notch.

Food was great ( but slow and expensive ) , beer was good when I had it (mostly on free flow cans). Sound was good but the Big Romance stage never shut up so lots of bleed into Main. Soda Blonde were so late we missed them, The Comet is Coming cancelled which was a big blow. We left before Orbital but heard they'd problems with the PA cutting out. I missed loads I wanted to see by overdoing it. Just running into friends and randos all weekend made it though. Could be tempted if they did it again but they were really hawking merch at the end. Got the feeling it was a well stretched budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Research who owns this place.. u will be surprised

Im sorry, I was too sick on Saturday and didn't see your post... Hope you enjoyed the weekend at least!

Unfortunately, I was also too sick to notice that adverts.ie automatically withdraws tickets at the start time of an event. So a selling platform engineered to connect people with a marketplace disconnected a seller from a marketplace based on a business rule that was completely hidden... Terrible user experience and cost me 100 euro or so as there was still demand for tickets on the Saturday..

Anyone recommend any other platforms for selling tickets in case I need to again? I remember there used to be another forum for selling tickets but can't remember the name of it.

I'd be very hesitant to use adverts.ie in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

An interesting history, but I can't find any info on the current ownership. Care to enlighten us please?

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Polish count , just married to a glamour model called Sophie Anderson

• Advertisement

Thank you!!!

That was doing my head in lol as it's been a few years since I bought or sold gig tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Joza

So what did people think of it? Can't find much online apart from this thread.

I thought overall it was a fantastic time. Really great buzzing and connecting with people again. There were definitely some organisational issues that let it down. There was no ATM on site but some vendors were only accepting cash and nowhere did cashback, really pissed us off as it was pushed as a cashless event. Running out of water was a joke but I heard there was a problem with a pump generator and they got it fixed in the end. The free massage in Comfy Camping was great.

Smashing line up, genuinely one of the best I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

if you know why don't you say? why play games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Had a great time, will definitely be back. Sound issues for orbital were unforgivable though. I'm not sure if they're linked but two of the times I heard the main stage cut out was when the big romance stage was really going to overdrive with bass, maybe it was taking too much power or something? They could do with covering the big romance with a tent or moving it further away or something, it was bleeding into every other stage pretty badly.

Everything else was great, crowd were probably the best I'd seen at a festival in a long time. Not many messy people around at all, no one looking rough or anything either. Most people were 25+. There was loads of room in general campsite. Didn't bother with comfy campsite, heard it was pointless. Fresh water available everywhere,no queues at the bar and good beers. I liked that the beer was low percent as well, could drink a lot more during the day without getting too drunk. Hopefully it's back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,115 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah thought it was great. Comfy camping was a scam though, I couldn't see any diff between it and the main camping, it looked bigger. The only benefits maybe would be the distance from the stages meaning it's quieter. The beer on tap was delicious. Was a great crowd and the sound systems were amazing, could really feel that bass. I really enjoyed Bonobo. Would def go back, I hope they keep it small again next year.

I didn't see any really young people either, and didn't feel out of place at 41 which was great, met lots of cool people.

Oh and they didn't even check our tickets just gave us wrist bands, which was a bit mad.

There seemed to be a crazy amount of security lads walking around the campsite, and Garda too, is that normal? I've never been to an Irish festival but you don't see this in Spain and Portugal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

The Big Romance setup I believe was a Four Tet curated stage, and it wasn't in the woods ... ! Would much prefer another tent than that setup or have it like the arcadia stage, where there are speakers at your back also. If it had actually been in the woods, the sound would have had a bit of reflection back into the crowd, instead of escaping into the ether.

Not a clue what was going on with the sound in general, Orbital sounded excellent until it sounded like nothing for a time. Other than that Romare sounded excellent, and if you got close enough to the Big Romance, at headliners, it sounded good. Other than that, some acts were just - quiet.. like frustratingly quiet... I remember seeing the acts on the Big Romance on Friday, before Ben UFO, and it was basically a whisper. I wonder if this was to do with trying to deal with power issues over the weekend, poor sound engineers, or organisation. Donal Dineen was trying to play at a decent level, and was basically berated off stage by one of the organisers, returning to play a little quieter (he was not pleased, but to be fair he was playing where the food was, still the crowed were loving it). He was playing the same time as Keral Dust, which we left because it was too low .. they were playing on a much bigger sound system, and Donal Dineen was playing a small Funktion One, but sounded louder - as good!

Anyway, the sound systems were good, when they were at a decent level, but sound quality over the weekend was subpar and inconsistent.

I wouldn't go back to it again, purely on the sound issues, unless they sorted that out of course ... and orbital cutting out twice! (for the time I stayed there anyways) Also thought, HAAi shouldn't have been put on the same time as Orbital ... :D

Post edited by Adren on

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

I did the Sunday..

It was great, from parking the car to tent pitched and can in hand in less than 10 mins. Getting out was just as easy.

The site was great, pretty small so you could bounce between acts handy enough.

The crowd were easy going and relaxed, as mentioned above, the sound cutting out for Orbital (at least 4 times) was poor and killed things - slightly.

Will defo do the full thing next year if the lineup is as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I had a wknd ticket and stayed Fri and Saturday night and went home Sunday night.

Had a great time I must say and I'd go again. So easy to get in and get out. 10 mins from car to campsite, 5 mins from campsite to arena. I'm in my 40s now so all these things make a difference :)

Jacks were clean and stocked every time I visited them and any staff I had dealings with were sound. Security checks etc were chilled :)

It being their first year they did an admirable job of creating a good festival with a great vibe. Really impressed with the general atmosphere and the crowd and craic was spot on. Yes, the power cuts etc were unfortunate, but people got over that pretty quick..

It wouldn't be right not to give some constructive criticism. We also bought the 'comfy camping' tickets and it wasn't money well spent. Now bare in mind, I've been going to festivals since the 90s, so luxuries I can do without, and I did so happily last wknd too. But...the showers were busted most of the time, the hot tubs were cancelled last minute, the phone chargers weren't speed-chargers (so you might leave your phone in for an hr and get 30% out of it), plus the advertised extra space in the comfy camping section didn't exist. Again, it didn't spoil my wknd clearly, and honestly I barely gave a fook, but at the end if the day, it was paid for, and I haven't seen much yet from the organisers in the way of addressing it.

Organisers if you're listening I do think a small gesture to all those that paid for comfy camping is in order, even if it's a guaranteed early bird or a small discount for next year. That would go a long way. Don't forget about us. We supported the festival in good faith. I know others are asking for refunds etc. Each to their own. I can understand the frustration.

I'd also second a lot of the comments regarding the sound bleed from The Big Romance. Not a huge issue or a showstopper but an issue nonetheless.

But anyway, great craic, great music and acts (Kerala Dust, Bonobo, Elder Island, Soda Blonde, Boy Harsher, Glasshouse Ensemble all highlights).

Thanks all and glad to see everyone else had a good time too - it was just so f*cking cool being back in a loved-up festival crowd again! ❤️ ✌️

Roll on All Together Now

Post edited by Denalihighway on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭rubick

We arrived on site with no major traffic issues, but my god are we glad we didn't queue for the Comfy Camping option of having bags brought around to the campsite. We'd brought the usual festival trolley and for the sake of 10 mins walk including wristband exchange time we just ploughed on. It was gusty, but we just got the tent up in time before that apocalyptic shower hit Glendalough. We were sat in the tent for a good 45 mins but at least we were dry, our neighbours weren't so lucky.

All in all we had an amazing time, and the logistic issues didn't really bother me - water was restored in good time and I didn't have any bother at the bars/food stalls with card or cash. Really disappointed that Soccer96/The Comet Is Coming didn't make the festival, but we saw all other acts we wanted to see. In wholehearted agreement that the Orbital/HAAi clash was unforgivable!

I really enjoyed The Big Romance stage concept but it needed to be much further away from the Main Stage to avoid sound bleed. Acts we caught were Ben UFO, Four Tet, CiCi, Mad Professor, Stereo MCs (best afternoon's craic ever!), Colleen 'Cosmo' Murphy, Byron Wallace Ensemble, Irvine Welsh, Mr. Scruff, Pote, and Orbital. We saw some of Bonobo but only stayed until 'Cirrus' - weren't feeling it - didn't think that chilled sort of vibe suited the timeslot.

A solid first attempt for BTP but agreed with those points above about the Comfy Campsite - it was just a field. We had no issues aside from the water outages but yeah, didn't see much for the extra cash. Would still go again if they have it next year. Off to Glastonbury next week. Ooofft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

The issues are forgivable, but not acknowledging them, not apologising to the acts, and deleting every single negative comment from their social is just pure disrespect. Makes it very very hard to be excited about next year.

Advertisement