Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Don't think it needs to be in the last 12 months. My Dad shows a low index and he's only submitted 2 or 3 scores the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes, there may be situations like that. But that's unusual enough tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

How does it work when you are cut during non-qualifying? I had a purple patch during he winter and was cut a shot but I'm back playing poorly again. There has been no change in my handicap even though I have posted a couple of qualifying scores since. I'm not complaining about not getting the shot back just curious how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I it was non qualifying how were you cut?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I had a run of good results so the handicap secretary decided to cut me. I didn't question it as it made sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not really sure what you're asking?

You had a cut which is still being applied.

You've since had a couple of bad rounds, but a bad round on its own won't change your handicap now, if your 20th round on your record was a counting round and you played a bad round to replace it, your handicap would go up.

Your handicap is based on the best 8 scores of your last 20 rounds, the only way it goes up or down is by those 8 rounds changing to either a better or worse set of 8, on a rolling basis.

I'm pretty sure that extra cuts applied are phased out over a period of time (but not 100% on the mechanics of that process)

That's what I'm wondering as 2 of the rounds I have played are marked as counting but there's been no change, either way, in my index.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

I’m done with this new system. It has ruined club golf. Too many fluctuations in handicaps seeing bonkers handicaps on people well known for being better than that mark

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

But what are you gonna do?

give up golf?

we are kinda stuck with it……..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Advertisement

Giving up is a real possibility. Why bother wasting time and money on something that is no longer enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I was at an interclub match last night where I talked to a guy complaining about the wHS being a rubbish system. He said he had 2 bad rounds of golf and got no increase for them.

The same guy later told me his handicap was 16.6 which would have made him eligible to play in this comp. When I asked him why he wasn't playing himself, he said he was off 12.5 in July last year, so he was too low.

A 4.1 shot increase over 12 months, yet he complains that the new system isn't as good as the old system. In the old system, he would have only gained a shot and he'd be off 13.x around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Mind me asking why its no longer enjoyable for you?

General question on the app, I recently got cut to my lowest figure (and target for the year, so delighted with that! :)) of 9.4 but underneath it says low index 9.9. Screenshot here;

How does that work that my current index is lower than my lowest index? Do I have to maintain it for a while or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

@Ivefoundgod if you look at the definition:

Low Handicap Index

The lowest Handicap Index achieved by a player during the 365-day period (one year) preceding the day on which the most recent score on their scoring record was played (see Rule 5.7).

"preceding the day..." so I think when you play your next round, it should drop to 9.4. Could you post if it does or doesn't please?

Ah that makes sense so. Will let you know what happens when I put next card in.

Not enjoyable anymore because it’s no longer competitive. Giving loads of shots to fellas in matchplay and they throwing in a couple of birdies in a round. Lads coming in with 45pts with scratches in captains prize meaning id need to smash the course record to get there. These same guys will come good in team comps but on an ordinary weekend won’t break 30pts. It’s the obvious banditry that the new system allows that makes it no longer enjoyable for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Fair enough but to be honest while it's annoying sometimes I'm never really bothered by what others are doing or winning.

I still think the game can be very enjoyable just trying to lower handicap and improve as much as possible. I'd never find it loses enjoyment by not winning prizes really

I think it depends what you're playing for I suppose, I know where I play the competitions are a big thing but I'm not remotely bothered about them. If I win a prize then great but my aim is always to put in a card that lowers my handicap. I take the point though that where there is obvious manipulation it would be frustrating. I don't pay enough attention to the results but I have seen some at my club that raised a few eyebrows given the handicap and the gross score.

So I’m expected to pay €20 to enter the captains prize to ultimately subsidise the prizes for these guys?!

or if I play a casual round and record it for my handicap get charged €5 anyway?!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

I've started to play in a few junior scratch cups around the place. Scoring in this events seems to be a bit more consistent with people's handicap range. No chance I'm winning any big prizes in my own club. Thankfully they have introduced categories in fairness

• Advertisement

Sounds like its particularly bad in your club. €20 is very expensive entry fee for captains IMO. Ours is €15 and while I've never won any of the majors here I did come 2nd and got a decent pro shop voucher out of it. I don't think WHS is universally hated, I personally like it and I haven't heard many complaints in our club. It does put a lot of responsibility on the handicap secretary to monitor players. We have had several emails sent out about handicaps so they must have identified some people doing it.

My club doesn't charge for casual rounds either and I would be vehemently against that, especially as in your case its clearly not stopping handicap manipulation.

I wouldn’t mind €20 if it was a fair contest. The alternative is to not play competition and not enter a casual round score for 18. Taking the competitive side of of things lessens the attraction of playing golf for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

€20 is crazy money for Captains Prize

€15 absolute max is fair

Our general comp fee is €5 and it’s €10 for Captains and Presidents then

i think we paid €25 last year (maybe even €30), it’s been at least €20 for 10 years + now.

but well worth it.

bbq burgers, few bars and drinks offered as you pass through 9 holes and a pint or 2 afterwards in the walled garden with a putting contest and a plethora of prizes.

Stay late for dinner, another €50 for a 4 course meal with wine, presentation, a bit of craic and entertainment (Gunther from Apres Match a regular)

always a great day and we’ll worth it. I never look at it as subsidising someone else’s prizes though, just enjoy it for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My biggest bug bearer is lads that play competitions but then don't submit their card as they had a bad round and don't want their HC to increase.

I personally know one lad that has only entered 1 card in the last 2 months but played every weekend. To me it just doesn't make sense.

I played a course through the work society and registered on the Golf Ireland App. I generally get my brother to approve it after the round. One of the rounds he couldn't approve the score I entered as his phone was on the blink and was waiting for a new one. The app eventually approved the score and I was penalised. Surely a system like that should be in place for lads that register for a competition and then don't submit their card.

I know its not specific to the new WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Then craic of not handing in cards needs to be dealt with within your club.

In our place first time you get a warning second it's a comp suspension, keep at it and you could be told to leave the club. Very rarely happens now.

If your club isn't sorting it then you need to ask why not!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Golf Ireland are going to start penalising people that don't hand in cards, or do we were told in my club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

€20 is crazy money for a comp, unless the money is going elsewhere like food on the day, welcome packs etc. An extra €10 or €14 or whatever it is on your normal comp is grand to make more of a day out of it. If they just increase the price, I'd be annoyed.

And @slingerz - it sounds like your club has a real problem with cheats as opposed to the normal giving out about the new system that every club has. Charging a fiver for submitting casual rounds is a disgrace, but if it's needed to stop lads bumping up their handicap for the big comps, then maybe it's a price worth paying.

But if these lads are as clear a problem as you're giving the impression they are, then there must be actual evidence to identify them and ultimately do something about. Every club has people giving out about the new system, but most of that is just noise. But if your club can pick out these guys, show they were clearly submitting intentionally bad casual rounds and then able to perform on the big days, then you can probably look at bans and the like.

The one fear I'd have is that your committee happens to have the likes of the fellas on it who are convinced that this new system is giving rise to these new breeds of bandits, but the evidence isn't actually there. I'm thinking of that "journalist" whose article was posted here a couple of times. He came out with all sorts of nonsense like 90% of the casual rounds submitted were for the purpose of inflating their handicap for competitions. In which case they're probably fueling the perception in the club that this is a massive problem when it might not be and charging you a fiver for casual rounds when they don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

How quickly did it give you to get him to approve it? Ya think he would have told ya there that his phone was dodge before submitting :D

What was the penalty?

• Advertisement

I’m reading between the lines here but does your brother always play with you when you are getting him to approve your scores? 🤔

Advertisement