Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

At this point January will have been calmer than June 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

If this continues, I'll be wrecking your head again at the end of this month saying now Sryanbruen, check out those wind stats for June for Dublin Airport😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Have missed all the showers in Trim and there's been plenty of sun but that wind has put me off stepping outside, thankfully work has me busy. Current scene:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just after picking up all the garden furniture which was blown over by gales. I am totally fed up of the wind and this June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very windy here in carrick on shannon, thanks to that low wizzing past us, only outter bands from this but just seen the BBC weather as that's all i watch and a Spanish plume is to come up but mostly southern England getting this at present any shift to the west and we'd get it 🤞🤞🤞

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The heat spike still has to be watched. It could easily end up in a bust for us which is normal for Ireland. I think the most noteworthy weather event of this month will not be the very short lived heat spike but will instead be a possibly very unseasonably chilly and unsettled second half to June. The models still want to open up the Polar Express with low pressures dropping from northern Greenland down across Ireland and getting recycled over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolute horror day so far here in Naas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

We're in the middle of our 8th torrential downpour here in sw Dublin atm ,this one is the worse yet ,an absolute washout of a day here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh no not a repeat of 2007 or 2012, I'd happily take the Spanish plume that polor weather can feck off, if only it was winter in that case we'd be in for a deep freeze, yes models still have to be watched absolutely, I'm watching them myself

• Advertisement

It's the weather equivalent of ADHD here in Dublin 4. Torrential downpours followed by clear weather. Missus took off for a run there in the clear sunshine about 20 minutes ago and now it's torrential rain and gusty winds.

Apart from the wind and one short shower in the late afternoon, it's been dry and mainly sunny today in Trim, Meath - Serious amount of shower dodging! I may venture outside for the first time today but not looking forward to that strong breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

One benefit of the torrential downpours was a timely reminder to get up and clean the gutters, mine were full to the brim with water and overflowing. They were only replaced two years ago but full of moss already. Anyway hoping the remnants of TS Alex takes a hike and we get a better day tomorrow.

Darwin, you need to get yourself a few magpies. They clean our gutters for us. I'm not joking they pick out the moss and throw it on ground so we just have to pick it up.

On the downside they absolutely terrorise all the birds nest at this time of year looking for baby chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Lol...think I'll give it a pass, the crows are bad enough squawking on the roof at 5am. It is interesting the magpies do that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

*Query?

At this time of year there's a strange smell that lingers within my bungalow, a 'boiled cabbage' type smell it comes and goes - is it something within the environment that causes this? 😶

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

You got me thinking Highdef about wind and my love of it! Even getting nostalgic for my sailing days when all we thought about during the season was wind strength , direction, fronts, Lp pressures etc , watching the charts like a hawk. During the day before evening racing I would be sailing the course in my mind and thinking of what sails and spinnakers we would be using, would even make or take a call during the day to discuss what suit of sales would be best to have on deck prepared before heading out! From town we could tell what force the wind was out on the coast by the direction and adding on a bit to allow for the freer air on the coast and would have a fair idea of sea state if the wind was coming off the land or onshore and depending on the tide or a recent pass from a Low Pressure . Of course many a time we would run out of wind especially on Summer evenings and almost drift around the course but always watching for stripes of wind on the water and trying to get into it, you should have seen the pleasure on our faces sailing past stationary boats maybe only a couple of hundred yards away ( or our glum looking faces when we were stuck in a hole 😀 ) . And of course some nights would be too strong to go out in and some races would have to be cut short and abandoned while we were sailing if it got too windy and I was often out when a lot of damage was done to boats, masts down, blown out sails, broken stays ect. scary but exhilarating . Did some overnight racing also and that is where you really get in tune with the strength, direction, gusts and so on. After some time sailing and getting use to what ever conditions were there that night we would talk of getting into the grove, feeling the wind and sensing how the boat was sailing , trimming the sails and knowing when they were set by feel , this all in the pitch dark maybe with the odd use of the flash light to check the tell tales on the sails ( bits of string like material hanging from the sail, when the sail is set correctly they should be flying horizontally).

I wonder will I get back again. Running out of jobs to do on my house 😁

Picture of a picture from a few years back during a regatta, crewing in the boat with the yellow and orange spinnaker........that's it I have to get going again although at my age now I might have to stay in the white sails class 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s seems to have been feckin windy almost every day for the last month

so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep think we are all sick of the wind. Windy summers are not nice unless it’s coming from a warm southerly/easterly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The wind here in Galway all evening!! 😲Lots of interesting sky colours before showers and the dark clouds rolling by at speed tonight.

• Advertisement

Fair play meteorite, didn't think there was anyone who would benefit from wind but forget about the sailors.

Everytime I look at those boats on water though personally, I always think, jaysus it must be freezing out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's now 7-3 to good days in NW after yesterday produced a lot of sun and a lot of wind but only 2mm of rain. Today will prob be one for the bad days here. But tomorrow n Monday promise better so as bad as the weather is it has been dry enough. Well 19mm of rain here so far this month. It's 38mm in Dublin so East seeing heavier showers due to conventional effects of slightly higher temperatures.

Still nothing over 20c yet here in 2022. Might see it late next week. Finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool cloudy windy morning here in Castlebar. October like.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

Absolute muck weather and muck summer in a muck climate. Sick of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Very little rain falling in my area,and whatever is falling the wind is drying it up as fast as it falls,ground rock hard and streams and wells fairly low as well

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s worse than yday which is some achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Disgusting day here. Sunny but too windy it would be a scorcher if the wind wasn't so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

The sun is shining, it’s dry. Okay it’s breezy. It’s not that bad out

a dry day so far but that wind is just killing any feeling of a nice day outside.

• Advertisement

Moderate rain, strong and gusty breeze and current temperature of 14° in Trim, Meath. Looks like there'll be further showers throughout the afternoon. Couldn't ask for a better summer's day 🙄

EDIT........that's now very strong and gusty breeze and very heavy driving rain. It's about as bad as it can get.

Advertisement