Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National EV Charging Infrastructure Strategy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It would be hard to do it any other way, you can't just make a claim to the local authorities land without them being involved. If your local authority is doing a bad job start hassling your councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,276 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have. They're useless as very few people care about this issue so they can safely ignore it.

By cutting the individual out of the process it's going nowhere. It's supposed to "replicate the home charging pattern of charging vehicles during off-peak and at low cost". But by cutting out the actual end user from the scheme you're left at the mercy of the local authority and their interest in doing this and then actually putting one at/near your home.

Look at the existing local authority charging scheme as of March 2022 only 13 LAs had expressed an interest in it and just 29 chargers were being delivered. My own local authority has made no application for funding under the existing scheme. Complete and utter shambles.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What response did you get from your local representatives? They'll only start caring when you hassle them enough to make it a problem. Local politicians don't do anything for the sake of it.

It's a national issue and they're waiting to see what happens.

As I said most LAs have done nothing with the existing scheme as is so you're left at the mercy of how interested your own local authority is. Mine is a notorious shambles (Cork County Council).

Your local authority not spending funds available to them is very much a local issue. If they're fobbing you off with "it's a national issue" then you are giving up too easy.

• Advertisement

And what exactly can I do as an individual? Politicians and local authorities are experts at fobbing people off. Stuff like this really shouldn't be so difficult that people have to harass their local authority about it, especially when it's supposed to be national policy to expand ev usage. Laying the blame at individuals door is a lazy and easy way out tbh.

If you as a constituent don't care enough to lobby about it they'll work on items that other constituents are lobbying on, it's local politics 101. Clearly the issue isn't important enough for you to go beyond complaining on an internet forum. I'm not saying it's the right approach, but that's how the real world works with our gombeen politics.

I already said I contacted local councillors about it and they said it's a national issue and nothing they can do. I honestly don't have the time to be harassing politicians and shouldn't have to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What you need to do is contact one of those bot farms to send 1000 emails a day to your local politicians from different email addresses, then it'll be a big issue for them 😁

Disclaimer: that was a joke, don't do that

Tbh, I think you're both right to an extent, local authorities and politicians are only going to deal with issues that apparently affect a lot of people. One or two constituents complaining about an issue isn't going to gain much traction, regardless of how good their point is

It might be worth reaching out on Facebook to any residents groups in your area to try and start a lobbying campaign

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A lot of parish-pump politics is about exposure.

If you put an educational email into the face of the politician you might not get much of a response other than a polite "thanks, will remember that", but as least you've raised awareness. Many of the TD's don't have EV's and don't get the nature of the associated problems, but are always too happy to turn up at a charger unveiling all of the same. Follow-up with group pressure (facebook, as @the_amazing_raisin says, and also management companies) - and then get a letter off to every TD - elected and un-elected - and also into every Councillor. Put up a white tent & invite them to discussions.... you know, standard political modus operandi. ;)

• Advertisement

It's an unfortunate commentary on the quality of our public representatives, if you don't care enough to harass them, they don't care enough to do something about it.

Just saw a woman pleaded guilty to harassing a local councillor and sending him 500 texts a day

IEOVA should hire her as an advocate 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

They are still selling LEAFs with Chademo, so we will be stuck with them for a while. Many of these sales are for the 62KWh LEAF (~57KWh usable) which has a range similar to the ID.3 (58KWh usable) and is a mid to long-range battery suitable for longer motorway journeys. I just drove one to Limerick from Dublin and it is fine for doing these journeys with a comfortable margin of battery left at 120kph. It make sense to continue supporting 70KW charge points for this car, but in line with sales figures if we could get some breakdown of LEAF sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The deadline for this survey is 5pm today (31 May), I believe.

If you have some time, please take a moment to fill out the survey to share your insights, experience and feedback. It can hopefully help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

“€100m has been allocated in 2022 to ensure the continued transition to electric vehicles. This is an almost doubling of the provision made available in 2021 and underpins the Government’s commitment to making electric vehicles accessible to all. This funding will continue to incentivise the switch to electric vehicles as well as enabling the expansion of a fast and rapid electric vehicle charging network to stay ahead of demand. Zero Emission Vehicles Ireland, ZEVI, is currently being established to coordinate this work.”

I’d be interested to see how the €100m is being spent, can’t all be going on grants for cars/chargers ….

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So far this year there's been 8,259 EVs registered. Assuming they all got the grant that's €41.3m.

Say 75% were new EV owners and availed of the charger grant that gives another €3.7m.

So we're half way through the year and have used about 45% of the €100m on purchase grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Anyone know if there are any plans to install a few 150kw chargers off the M9 around paulstown, kilkenny, or even Mullinavat areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

seems that by the end of summer will see a charger at J5 Carlow. Already in place but some other bits are delayed

Thanks for that.

Are the chargers just going to be 50kw?

Also do we know how many are being installed in the Carlow location, as in how many EVs can charge at once and draw max current at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

The charger in the picture @J5 Carlow it is a max 350kW with two cars charging at the same time. So maybe not 350 but ~ 150kW each. 1CCS&1CCS/1CHAdeMO

so only two cars able to charge at the same time?

Also any idea how much they will charge?

2 cars at once puts it ahead of around 90% of ESB sites. And no the AC doesn't count 😜

Not to thrilled about only a single unit, just need one fault and the whole site is offline

Hmmmm. I get ya. Not great for the entire M9 corridor if you regularly travel from dublin to waterford and back though!!

Maybe a grant/share of the allocation for secondhand ev’s (like in the Netherlands) would help with the uptake, but I doubt there are enough funds to go around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Great idea in theory, but I can pretty much guarantee that it would push the price of second hand EVs up by the amount being given in the grant (happens all the time in this country)

The prices of 2nd hand EVs are high because we don't have enough supply, adding a grant will just put money into the pockets of the original owner and do nothing to increase the numbers. If the goal is to increase the supply of cheaper EVs we'd be better making a government backed 0% loan available that only applied to cars below €35,000

I haven’t heard much about this apart from the headline grabbing phase out of ICE.

“With the final Council of Europe meeting of the year taking place in September, it seems like we won’t know the fate of the proposed bill for a few more months.”

“It includes the roll out of an extensive network of publicly available electric vehicle (EV) charging facilities, to ensure that EV drivers no longer need to be concerned about range or access to charging points. The Irish Government has already committed €100 million to develop a nationwide network of charging points in rural and urban areas by 2025.”

Another mention of the €100m, buzzword bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I'll take your €100M and raise you $7.5B :)

The federal government on Thursday further sketched out plans for a national EV charging network to be funded by the Biden administration's infrastructure law.

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) proposing minimum standards for the network, which aims to install 500,000 chargers by 2030.

The FHWA is proposing a minimum of four 150-kw connectors per DC fast-charging site. Those sites should be positioned 50 miles apart, and less than a mile from highways, according to the proposal.

<snip>

This started to take form with the infrastructure bill last November—but it's just the start toward a $7.5B nationwide network of 500,000 chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Good to see some ambition being shown here, and since it's linked to the Infrastructire review of 2021 hopefully some joined up think.

When you look at the review set up in 2021 things like Lamp-post charging, pop up chargers etc are all being looked at - as well as case studies in wireless charge pads. So while this is all desperately needed, the fact that things like the upgrade of fast chargers over a relatively short period of 3 years looks to be starting, hopefully these other measures are also in pipeline.

Advertisement