Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens Jubilee, what's the craic

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is the media going on and on about things that scare some people, to the point that that it takes on a life of its own.

Labout and lib dem politicians are asked about trans issues far more often than Conservatives precisely because the right get outraged, associate the left with always pushing trans issues and it sells. Now they (and the population as a whole too) think trans and minorities are a far more populous than they actually are.

Its juts a consequence of media media needing to be a form of entertainment to survive. We all know social media pushes controversial topics to stoke outrage because that's what sells. Its the same for news for the exact same reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I think it was more a comment on the demographics interested in attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She got me an extra days holidays at work, bless her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw a poll that showed that British people thought 10% of the national budget was being sent to the EU every year (the real figure was 1%). It shows how easy it is for the right wing tabloids to brainwash the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And once brainwashed on that kind of stuff it makes it a lot easier to sell a lie that Brexit would deliver £350m a week for the NHS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Shoog

Old biddy has a party ... enough said.

Move along Gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We're pretty susceptible to that kind of thing too. I'll bet the British and Irish alike, underestimate how much is spent on pensioners. "Benefits" covers a multitude of programmes which are necessary and good. But it's used to conjure images of single mothers and gypsies. Also covers very popular programmes like child benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah we are not immune to it but in fairness that time when Varadkar launched his dog whistle welfare cheats cheat us all campaign with the claim of 500m euro of fraud there was a lot of push back on the claim. So while he pulled the figure out of his arse many people just werent buying it. iirc the Dept of Social Welfare themselves later admitted that fraud was nowhere near the level of what Varadkar was claiming

Advertisement