Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

This is the greatest post I’ve ever seen on the internet 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I agree

May of been beverages consumed at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Davey and McGrath both stayed on after major hammerings on a par with what what Cahill experienced…..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

For those who are giving out about Waterford's performance at u20, just remember the board turned down Andy Moloney at interview in favour of a Google coach.

Andy Moloney's team was Andy, Ken Mcgrath, Joxer O'connor, Dan Shanahan and goalkeeping coach Paco Curran.

Sometimes we deserve what we get.

Didn’t know that……who was the ‘Google’ management that you refer to…?

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a ‘Google’ coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

2 weeks on from our exit out of the championship and it is still hard to get the head around what went wrong. I was a little bit worried because we hadn’t been brillant in our opening two games but definitely didn’t see us going out of the championship so tamely.

Did we get our timing wrong and put too much emphasis on the league and peak there and by the time the championship came around we were just spent. The high intensity high pressing running off the shoulder game which we have been playing under Cahill just didn’t happen in the four games. Did too many of our top players just loose form at the same time?

Getting knocked out was bad enough but the display we put in down in Clare set the alarm bells ringing. It reminded me of our game against limerick under pairic fannings reign when it looked like players just downed tools. It would be sad if there have been issues in camp between players and management because Cahill and bevans have been a breath of fresh air for Waterford hurling and overall have given us three enjoyable years.

I still think with the panel and management we have that we are not far from an all Ireland. For the sake of Waterford hurling I hope all concerned can sit down air their grievances and try and move on together. Cahills interview the other night was positive in the fact he seems to want another year but we need the whole panel to row in behind him.

The only positive I can take is that mistakes were made this year by both management and players but if they can both learn from them hopefully it will stand to us next year, do things differently next year and come back stronger (with no pressure as more than likely we will be written off by most).

finally Munster final is on today, don’t know about anyone else but I’ll find it hard to watch knowing it could have been us lining out today. Anyway hopefully it’s a good game better than last nights one ( which wouldn’t be hard) and may the best team win. Have a feeling we could see both of these teams lining out against each other again in 6 weeks time

Munster final will be hard to watch alright…….some predictions as follows….

Score: 2-26 to 1-26 to Limerick

Yellow cards: 4 each, Low-Han to get one for mouthing at linesman and ref

Red Cards: 2 in total one B for Hegarty, one C for Duggan

Top scorer: Gillane with 1-13 all bar 2 pts from placed balls

MoM: Byrnes

Clare top scorer : Kelly 0-14. 0-9 from from frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

While I was also surprised they didn’t get the gig, Joxer was never a part of the management team. I’m not sure Ken was either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

On fitness levels alone in that Munster Final my god we have plenty work to do this off-season .

• Advertisement

Did you forget that it was being ‘too fit’ was waterfords problem this season…😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We looked fresh in the league final and flogged in the championship game v cork. They were the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

The lack of quality at the helm of all our underage sides is a concern and has been for a number of years. Can’t just expect quality players to emerge if the calibre of coaching isn’t there in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Any talk of county hurlers heading Stateside to hurl with their free time? Or do the regulations around transfers permit it after being involved in an intercounty championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Between the great Munster final on Sunday and the hurling championship now entering the do-or-die business end of the season, I’m more angry and disappointed now than I was a few weeks ago after the Clare game. Seeing all these teams now gearing up for big mouth watering clashes and days out at Thurles and Croke Park without us being involved is sickeningly painful. Also mentioned here and there the last few pages about our continued dreadful underage performances/results is another source of huge frustration. The fact that our minors and U20’s are also long gone from their respective championships means we’ve no involvement at any (male) grade for the rest of the summer and thereby nothing to get excited about or act as a distraction, in the absence of any senior success. (Sick to the back teeth of the failings underage, we seem to bounce between hammerings and throwing away games when in winning positions. It has to be some mentality thing?)

I take nothing away from Clare, they’ve been great this championship and it’s good to see someone really putting it up to Limerick but it’s hard not to look at that and think that really could have been us. Seeing them play great, consistent hurling and so many of their lads going well acts as a painful reminder of our failings and frailties. After the league (or even after the Tipp and Limerick games) I think we all expected us to be in the position Clare now find themselves in. Instead we sleepwalked into a Cork ambush and it only went downhill fast from there. The crash and burn exit from this years championship has to be up there as one of the worst. Don’t know what will happen for 2023 or what the hurling landscape will look like by then but at least we’ll go into next year written off.

In 2009, Limerick brought out a book “Unlimited Heartbreak” detailing their infamous failures and hard luck stories to land success over the decades. Think it’s safe to say that mantle has been passed on to us and probably the only award we could give ourselves this year….

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

The intensity and commitment shown by both Clare and limerick in that Munster final really brought home the embarrassing and pitiful showing we saw from Waterford in that game in Ennis. it's frightening how far off the level required we were and it's so hard to understand.

I'm not going to get into the rumours going around but there would seem to have been a significant break down somewhere along the way and it is hard to know if that can be repaired sufficiently, I certainly hope it can but there does seem to be issues.

Yeah yesterdays Munster final was a depressing wake up call how far we have to get back . What would be considered success now for next season personally at least get to a all ireland semi to psychologically at least get back in a good place . Another week or so I’d like to see something coming out what happened and where we are going from here . It’s a long climb back but it’s a climb we must do , sooner rather then later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Lads you'd be surprised how quickly things can change, ye were a disaster in 2019 championship, 18 months later ye were contesting the All Ireland final.

If Cahill stays on main thing is both management and players need to give and be receptive to honest feedback, something seriously went wrong in the 2-3 weeks after the Limerick game and at this point main thing is to figure out why.

Cahill should only remain in post if he has full backing of the players otherwise next year could be similar to what happened in limerick under Justin McCarthy…….massive discontent and players being dropped off the panel and a totally wasted season

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As a Clareman posting. Like the rest of the hurling country I would love to see Waterford in an all-Ireland, once it wasn't at our expense!!!!!!. Imo for your own sakes, you need to get someone with authority to bring everyone together and get players and management on the same hymn sheet,, then lay out your preparations for next year. The physical conditioning must begin immediately. Knowing the type of gym work members of both the Clare and Limerick panel do, its imperative that Waterford can match them physically. Having the most skilful hurlers in the county is no longer a guarantee of success as Cork have learned over the last decade. Many of our current Clare players have very modest resumes but under a driven Lohan have progressed significantly. Waterford obviously believed the hype this year, something which can easily happen as the media wrote up the country's 'best panel' etc year and consequently were caught flat-footed. The Waterford performance against Clare in Cusack Park was disgraceful and players and management must never again accept such an abject performance. This year's championship was a painful lesson but if people learn from it rather than turning on each other, then next year will be a better year. There's no guarantee that a better year would result in winning a title, but it would restore pride in waterford hurling which in full flow is a delight to watch.

• Advertisement

Thoughts ?

Not a fan of it and odd enough timing of the release when our season has been over for a few weeks now

Though fair dues to the kid who designed it, no doubt many entry's into the competition

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Conditioning between the ears is what is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Rosita

Very curious as why you assume Cork have had the most skilful hurlers over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

At different stages ove rthe last decade, 2013 in particular, I believe Cork has a very skilful set of players. Not saying that Cork consistently had the most skilful players in the country, but the accepted mantra in Cork was that skill wins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

2013 was a freak year when all the big teams went out early, they definitely weren’t the most skilful. Skill might win out, soft tippy tappy shite hopefully will never win

Frustrating today seeing Cork playing in the Preliminary Round up in Antrim

The sooner the season ends the better

Whatever the reason for this year’s debacle in the player’s minds, the sight of Kerry still hurling when we’re gone should be a sobering one.

More down to the championship format then anything . The sooner we get back to the old format the better and hurling final in September you were guaranteed to still be in championship by July this just leads to lack of interest and distraction for other sports by end of may !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah and feck the club players nobody gives a shite about them 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Advertisement