Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Didn't capitalise on man advantage and didn't use the bnch well. But gutted for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Awful. Cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The kick looked close enough to review it. Not convinced it was wide but not convinced it wasn’t either so no idea how the touch judges could be that confident to call it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It looked wide to me too...

Was there not a forward pass Infront of ref missed around the 78min too...

But ultimately, Ulster had a man advantage and failed to utilize it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Great game again. Good crowd in Cape Town. Pitch must have been heavily watered beforehand as a lot of players slipping especially the Ulster lads. Ulster bench just not strong enough. Tom O'Toole and Warwick should go to NZ and Herring should start at 2 for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Link to kick. Still no idea. Maybe an in off the imaginary post job 😵

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

2 superb semi finals....better than anything from the heineken cup...

Brilliant crowd and atmosphere aswell in cape town....

Really good advert for the URC.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

i think there was also a forward pass in the move that led to the try and Ulster should have got a scrum penalty in the scrum Tom O’Toole went off after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Thought Billy Burns had a very good game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Ulster got sucked in in that last play. They shouldn’t have been exposed the way they were, with an extra man in backs. A little bit of inexperience there. Absolutely gutted for them, they got 99% of the game right, but just came up short. Will be a long summer for some of the players, especially those that don’t go to NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Hard to tell on kick. It’s over the post. If the post is longer it probably hits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Connacht fan here gutted for ye. I have no idea how that kick was given...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Ian Henderbum.

Cruel finish. Glad the ref got the red out for gauging. I thought that shti was finally dying in SA...moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If that went to extra time, I think Ulster would have lost by 10 points. They were spent at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

You can afford to defend narrow against Leinster or Munster, who just go for one-out pick and goes near the line, but these South African teams play it a bit wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Bitterly disappointing.

Big issue is how little Dan trusts some of our bench players - after all the travel, we need subs on earlier, not later. The players were out on their feet. You can't be afraid to bring your bench front row on.

I'll be interested to see how the SA teams adapt to playing across two comps during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Pretty mad the front row played as long as they did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

You know what, I was furious at the end there and I've been in piss poor mood ever since. Can't be arsed dwelling on the game and I really don't want to begin thinking about next year so there I was pacing the house looking for some semblance of a silver lining when it hit me..

...awec's probably worse off than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

The bench front row actually managed to hold up which I found unbelievable, but to be fair to Dan they haven't really given him a reason to trust him for most of the year. I'll admit I haven't watched wasps this year, but from reading other forums Toomaga-Allen is a fairly poor scrummager which doesn't really solve much. Getting Tom Stewart fit will be key next year.

Treadwell has bench fantastic coming off the bench but he can be headless at times and a penalty magnet - and he gave one away in the lineout after we just cleared our lines in the final two minutes. Does frank bradshaw ryan coming in solve much? Ideally we'd look for an improvement on AOC (as good as he's been for us), but that doesn't look doable as Carter is taking up an NIQ spot.

Backrow depth is shocking an devoid of any impact off the bench, which will be especially concerning as father time catches up with Vermuelen. Hopefully Sean Raffell is an improvement of the other Rea, but yea, nothing to be assuredly excited about.

So to be honest, I expect much of the same again next year with regards to our pack and bench.

• Administrators Posts: 53,828 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

another year, another let down. Same old Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That period between the ref not giving a penalty from the attacking maul, and Herring losing the ball in the tackle was the decider imo. Any score there and Ulster see it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Hold your heads up Ulster fans, it's been a good season and the silverware is within sniffing distance. Unlucky today, I hoped you'd right the injustice of the TMO theft during the last trip to Cape Town. Loved Baloucoune's offload for the second try, you need to bring him more into the game. You will rise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It was always going to be a huge ask to travel to SA and beat the Stormers on their home turf. It's a difficult way to lose but there's no shame in that performance

The Referee and TMO were an absolute wild card throughout the match.

The URC really need to do something about this. Can we poach some refs from other leagues even just for the knockout games?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

The ref needs to stand behind a decision if he gives it. The penalty try and then then reneging on that decision was unacceptable. He also gave knock ons where the other team made them and awarded penalty against Ulster when he said the ball was out of the ruck and Ulster tackled the scrum half. The part where he said “I didn’t see that, don’t let me see that again” made it even more ridiculous. It kind of balanced out but you don’t want to see bad decisions given either way. It was poor officiating and had an affect on the outcome of the game. And I have sworn all my life never to give out about a ref!

• Administrators Posts: 53,828 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't really care whether the kick went over or not tbh, they would have pumped us in extra time. Ulster just do not have the mental strength to win games like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Also, I think the Roos try could possibly have had two forward passes (he didn’t even check it - very Blasé) and the Balacoune try was definitely forward. The ref had a poor game and seemed to get sucked into the revelry of being on tour which is speculation but he was all over the place. The crowd being in a stunned silence by some of the decisions for most of the second half sapped the life out of the game.

And then there was the blatant spear tackle at ruck even more blasé and the kick at the end which I thought was wide. Might just have been the camera angle though. He didn’t check anything!

I am reluctant to criticise the referees as I think they have a thankless job and it’s very difficult to get it right on every occasion but Adamson needs to review this game and get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

How,every single stormers player celebrated after watching it,the ulster players dropped their heads too.flags went up aswell as the fans reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Ref aside….

Same old issues, we don’t have a 23 let alone a squad capable of playing for silverware.

We need a loose head & Blindside and have for several years.

We just can’t compete with the physicality and that gets even harder when we can’t trust our bench! I said this last year but Ulster need to go backwards to go forwards! We rely to much on same flogged players! We have the one of lowest player usage in the URC also.

Albeit thank you SA teams, I have really enjoyed your involvement and new grudges forming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Has there been any bells and whistles technological review of the footage to confirm it? Not that it matters now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That result must be bitterly disappointing for Ulster fans but the team were competitive in every aspect of play for most of the match. I wrongly wrote them off after the first two tries. Let’s hope Baloucoune’s injury isn’t too serious.

Advertisement