Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rossie4ever

Any idea when the team will be announced for tomorrows game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

No team named, as is Cunningham normal Modus operandi.

Kit doesn't particularly annoy me, but there are plenty who get het up snout not having a team named early.

There are two ways of looking at it, either teams have to be announced say before 2pm on Friday and then big fines if they are not, and have press releases etc in the sport news bulletins like the Rugby heads do, or else wait until the team lists are provided say 90 minutes before throw in, and make the announcement part of the media coverage. The current free for all does SFA for the promotion of the games.

Once the players know what's happening, I don't thi k it makes any difference whether a team is announced early or late to the public. More traditional supporters like to see it early, but in truth is makes no difference.

Can't see many changes from the Connacht final personally, but there will be some. I'd hope McCormack is brought back in, he was in hard luck to be dropped for the CF, and maybe Hughes too, both good leggy lads who can cover ground. Maybe one of them (Hughes) named at ten to give more solidity? Also, think McKeown is gonna be under pressure, he's had a good league but was very quiet in the 2 Championship games so far.

Best of luck to the Women's against Longford tomorrow 🤣

Intermediate Championship Group C Round 3

2.00 Pearse Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Very lucky to be just 2 points down at ht. Very poor stuff again, look totally devoid of ideas at times and the ease of some of the Clare scores is unbelievable at this level.

Why aren't we contesting the Clare kick out, their keeper looks very nervy and putting on a full press might give us some impetus and momentum to get back in this game.

Spot on. Our defence is wide open and when we break it's very lethargic. Still only 2 points down at half time but a major improvement is needed in the second half if we are to win this.

• Advertisement

That was a shocking result. I'm not too sure where do we go from here. It's going to be a long winter. Well done to Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

Yup. Only turned up in the 2nd half. Fair play to Clare. They brought intensity and desire and out fought us at nearly every moment of first half and just hung in there in 2nd to go for peno. Once that went in momentum was with them... I was hoping for draw and extra time but they got the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Hard luck today lads, it probably was a bit of a snatch and grab job in the end ,but realistically we would not be at this level but for ye

Our template for years was follow Roscommon and Cavan up the divisions in order to be competitive, while we have yet to reach division 1 or win a provincial title Colm Colin's always used ye massive benchmark, especially through the league system

Only thing I would say is if Roscommon want to make the step up into the top 6 in the country ye will need the small clubs to start producing better players , only 9 clubs were represented today for Roscommon , that's not enough to really challenge for all Irelands

Granted no more then Clare most footballers in the county are working outside the county and numbers are low , but club Rossie and the people in London can only do so much ye have serious talent in this county but it all seems to be coming from 3 or 4 clubs

Ye need to be as positive as a typical Willie heagarty or Brian Carney commentary going forward, division 1 football next year and another real shot at a Connacht title, today will not highlight that this has been a really good season for Roscommon

A really gracious bunch that ye are both today and on here I wish ye nothing but the best of luck next year , and days like today will be quickly brushed aside

A day on and this result looks and feels no better.

Potential progress in the league completely wasted by reverting to trying the same things that haven't worked for the last 10 years. We uncovered a few rough diamonds in McCormack, Hughes, and Doyle along with Heneghan in the league campaign, but they were jettisoned in the main once the big games came along, despite them being able to cover ground and inject pace. Instead, the safe option taken with a heap of Dalys and Murray added who only slow down the game in possession and give away frees out of it. These guys are grand on a heavy sod in February or March, but are found out in a dry summer sod.

Again, Lavin's kick outs exposed when Clare pushed up in the last 15 minutes, hanging up in the wind and leaving our midfielders sitting ducks under them.

Some really strange selections yesterday, but despite that the game should have been won. Clare are a decent, honest side, but are limited, and I'm truth if Roscommon can't beat them, especially when 5 points up late on, we have no business playing in an AIQF.

Where to from here..... we need a change of approach. Thanks to Anthony for his work over the last 4 or 5 years, but we're not going to progress under him, it'll be the same story, promise in the league, and decisions made for championship football based on league form.

Let's move on.

Silence has been deafening in the 3 or 4 weeks since the Clare debacle.

Have to say, the lack of any announcement of forward planning from either Anthony or the Board is very disappointing at this stage. Say what you like about James Horan, but he realised he's brought Mayo as far as he can, and has stepped aside with honour and with a lot of credit in the bank. The contrast with Anthony is stark, in spite of AC being clearly out of his depth t the top level and with the team at best stagnating or more realistically coming back down the hill.

If Anthony doesn't do the honourable thing, the board has to be proactive IMHO and take the decision out of his hands. This management team is leading us nowhere except into the doldrums.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree AC is out of his depth. I don't see what the hurry is to have him gone is.

Do you think we've improved or gone back since he's taken over? Are we improving, stagnant, or going backwards?

I dunno, not going to sh1t on Anthony, but as a management team in my opinion they have not improved the squad. We have certainly plateaued, and are built for a pace suited to league/winter football, rather than summer/championship, while there appears to be a reluctance to change from the established players and go with younger, more pacy players.

There is no panic, but certainly there needs to be some planning and some pathway for the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Stayed the same. Cunningham took over a Roscommon team that had just gained promotion to Div 1 had lost 3 of their 4 championship matches and which included a 4 point loss to Galway in the Connacht final.

This year, have just gained promotion back to Div 1, lost 3 of their last 4 championship matches which included a 3 point Connacht final defeat to Galway.

Clare debacle not all on management, the players on the field have to have to take a long hard look at themselves for not closing out that game. On Horan i'd say like his first term 4 years was all he was ever going to give.

We've definitely stayed the same. We've been unlucky with some injuries/walk aways too. I'd agree he's been too loyal to players.

We're still operating much higher than similar sized counties, with similar resources.

It will take something different to bring us to next level. But fundamentally we're not fit enough or intense enough in our play. A few connacht titles and yoyo leagues has peppered over the cracks in the standard of player we've on the squad. And it's been that way for 30 years.

Like our lads already work hard in terms of fitness and preparation and training. So the manager who asks for and gets more out of them, without destroying the playing panel cos it's just too hard... Difficult balancing act for any manager.

I always say the day to prepare the next manager appointment, is the day you appointed the incumbent. I'm not seeing the replacements lining up. And if we've to create a vacancy to get them to line up, that just means we want the next merry go round famous guy. And that's a lottery as to whether you go forward or go backwards.

One month on, and the silence is deafening.

Zero update from the board on 2023,looking like it's the status quo in the absense of any update or leaks to upgrades to the backroom team.

Not going to personalise it against Cunningham, but the truth is the management team needs a refresh - might be to bring in a good coach or two to help Anthony, but we'll regress further of we keep the same backroom team, make no doubt about it. We're not being coached to division one standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

I met him in the Croke Park Hotel before the All Ireland and he said he was staying another year, for what that's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Thank you Anthony, you have done us some service.

It's the correct decision in my opinion, but it should be acknowledged that Cunningham seems a decent man, did his level best to do a good job for us, and whatever shortcomings there may have been during his time at the helm he conducted himself (as indeed did his team) with integrity and decency.

I said here and have felt a change is needed, and I'll stand by that. The higher we have reached, the more the shortcomings in the management team in terms of coaching and team structure have been exposed, and the inability to get proper top level coaches to back up Anthony over the last few years has been our downfall.

The biggest problem now though is that it's what, seven or eight weeks since we've played Clare (11 June). It's a long time waiting to get moving on a proper coaching ticket and to get it together, woth many counties having a good head start on us.

The Irish Mirror newspaper are reporting that Mick Bohan has been contacted for the now vacant Roscommon senior football managers job, after Anthony Cunningham left the role yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Covid really screwed Cunningham over. By early 2020 we were Connacht champions with wins over Mayo and Galway away from home. We breezed through Divison 2 then everything went to crap. Roscommon followed the rules re training to the letter while many others did not and got a slap on the wrist.

I wish Cunningham all the best, some great days like that win finally in Castlebar after so long (not many of us there that night but it didn't matter), the second half against Galway in the 19 final where we absolutely blitzed them. The league final this year and Murtaghs goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That's who I'd like to see get it but wasn't he approached last time and wasn't interested?

He probably has his eye on Dublin senior job.

As a Clareman I'm hoping that Farrell stays on with Dublin, as I see Mick as the favorite for the Dubs gig. If Dessie is there for 2023, and the rumour that Colm Collins will take a break from inter-county football management then Bohan, who previously suggested that it will be either the Dubs or Clare for his inter-county management aspirations post the Dublin ladies footballers managers role, will please God return to the Banner county, as bainisteoir after a one year stint as Clare football coach in 2016.

Liam Tully standing down as U20 manager.

Good on you Liam, took on the U17 a few years ago when nobody else would touch it, a pretty successful period at that and U20 level since, an U17 title and an U20 AI final that came up just short. Another good, honest GAA man, Roscommon's best interests always at the centre of his actions.

Not going to feature at the Senior level I don't think, still no sign of any developments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Ant word of a new manager or any contenders made themselves known yet?

Email out today asking clubs to forward Nominations for the manager by 5pm tomorrow.

Any word on whether Mulryan is funding it this time?

I'm guessing he will, in so far as he has in recent years and in fairness AFAIK he hasn't been found wanting in any regard.

There are 2 options, either the Co board is seeking Nominations within 24 hours as a box ticking exercise, or else they are genuinely floundering around 2 months after the Clare game looking for ideas as who to approach about the job.

One of these is a very scary prospect, but is very likely given the recent track record of our board in many aspects.

Yeah tbf I heard they expected Cunningham to stay another year and as such are floundering around.

Crazy to be floundering around two months later.

Anthony deserved some time to make up his mind, but at the same time..........kinda caught with our pants down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The Irish examiner tonight has linked Stephen Rochford to the Roscommon managerial position

Advertisement