Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Only Lower Hogan, Lower Cusack and premium Suite Level will be open tomorrow and just 20,000 is the expected attendance

Will the penny drop with HQ that they made the wrong call to not play Kildare v Mayo and Clare v Roscommon in provincial grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

No qualifier games should be in croker I'm absolutely delighted for the GAA serves them right!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is three tiers in hurling so teams are very equally split. The Liam teams are 5 in Munster, Kilkenny,Wexford Dublin and Galway. Slight below them( yo-yo teams between Joe and Liam) are lapis, Westmeath and Antrim.

Kerry is the only team that really get to have to travel distances to matches.

I am not saying it's ideal but give the competition a chance. I think it's the same cohort that think the split season is wrong, that all teams need to have a chance to play Sam

The really big thing is that there seems to be major buy in by players and that is a big thing. Lots of people nit picking and I think most are not those that play or support clubs

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What did London come under in the Football this year ?

In reality they could be used as a wild card seeing as they can get in and out of Dublin, Cork, Limerick etc.

I get the argument that it's good for fans and I know it could be the difference between me attending or not given that I am following hurling around too. But I would prefer the randomness of the open draw and the football qualifiers as opposed to hurling always gave me a chance to visit really random stadia and towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

I was arguing in favour of the open draw in football! The original point I was making is that it was stated that the cost of Waterford going to Fermanagh would be prohibitive so the T Cup was North and South.....but yet there are non traditional hurling counties travelling all over for matches in lower tiers.

It appears to me that the GAA have been far more interested in supporting hurling over all but the best football counties in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In one sense HQ need to focus on hurling more because about 26 of the 30 odd county boards can't be trusted to care.

I know it's the same in hurling counties but there is only about 8 of them.

The tiered hurling seems set now though so I expect attention to turn to sorting out the football championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭snowgal

Slightly off topic and point me in the right Direction if so. But I’m just wondering can you pay a one-off sky fee for these games tomorrow? Or is there some way to watch them if you don’t have sky? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You can get a day pass for now tv, make sure you pick the sports package. Its around a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Now TV is usually 10 or 15 quid for a day pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

Can you not process the simple point I'm making? Dublin beat every team they played against by double figure points in the provincial championships. Mayo got knocked out in the provincials 4 years in a row. In 3 of those years they got the luck of the draw to a huge degree (they're very easy to go back and look at btw), and the other year they got knocked out in the qualifiers. Dublin were never in the qualifiers, and they finished top of their super 8 group twice, so how exactly can you say Dublin got lucky? Mayo went into the qualifiers and ended up rewarded rather than punished. I was saying I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

That's nothing against mayo, it's just what actually happened. Is it wrong when it's repeatedly pointed out that Man City got repeated handy domestic cup draws, or that Liverpool had a handy champions League draw this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

Looking past that you nicely bookended your argument with the two times Connacht were due to meet Leinster. Mayo 2012-2015 weren't lucky with draws at all because there were no draws. They beat every team put in front of them until they met the eventual winners. So I'm not referencing those years at all, there was no luck involved.

When the element of a draw came in was when they hit the qualifiers in 2016-2019. At that point they got an easy run, anyone can take a glance back and see it. You reference meeting the Dubs in semis above, the one year they did in that period (2019), they couldn't possibly avoid them any further having been in the qualifiers and finishing second rather than win their super 8s group.

Look at Tyrones routes once they left the province/qualifiers since 2016 (3 provincial titles) compared to Mayo's (2 titles) for a good comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I actually bookended my argument with 2011, the year James Horan won a first connacht title and then got drawn to play the reigning all Ireland and league champions in the QF. An unlucky draw you would say. Same thing happened in 2013 getting Donegal in the QF. I agree 16 and 17 were nice qualifier draws, but then this year we've been drawn against 2 division 1 teams while Cork got Louth and Limerick. When you're knocking around for 11 years pretty much there will be a few handy runs in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,976 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If you are going down the Now TV route, you would be much better having a Good read through the thread below. Plenty of deals and codes for Monthly/3months/6month sport packages. If you haven't registered with Now TV yet, you will have a few Vouchers/codes as a new member anyway.

Day passes are the Worst Value by comparison. 2 or 3 of them would be the same as getting 3 months with a voucher.

Also,l Firesticks are on sale in various places with a month free sport for around 15 euro - a no brainer really.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058086783/now-tv-latest-deal-codes/p38

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would say you are probably right re All Ireland winners. Dublin have a muscle memory if can have a decent lead for the last 20min could still be a top side. But if is close at last 20min not sure.

There is always a surprise package that puts it up to the top sides each year. Or even beats a top team, this year likely looks like one of Ulster teams.

Todays game Kildare v Mayo will tell a lot of were teams are really at. Should be a good match looking forward to it as a neutral. Knockout football should be goals anyway.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

To be honest I thought the arse would fall out of the Tailteann Cup. Fellas would feck off to America, and teams would not take it seriously. But games I have seen there is bite in them. Teams well met mostly, teams giving it a real go. And statements about teams wanting to be the first Tailteann Cup winner. I am glad to be proved wrong.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

You must be from Galway🤣

You're totally on your own with your ridiculous point. No one agrees. Out of Roscommon, Galway and Mayo the later team is the only one that performs in the All Ireland series since 2004. Delusional stuff your typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It probably stems from the fact that Galway have successfully managed to avoid Dublin in the Championship for the last decade and some...

We/Mayo are getting his attention but the pain is coming from within.

We can take a bit of grief from most, but Galway would want to learn not to sh1t the bed in Croke Park (when they occasionally manage to get there) before we'll start listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Galway is the 3rd most populated county in the Republic also. Mayo 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Croker is empty for this game. Embarrassing. Can hear all the players shouting on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

The GAA deserve nothing more. The penny might finally drop and have these games in actual neutral venues halfway between both counties. And not in an empty, atmosphereless croke park. It really is a horrible place to watch a game on days like today with so little in attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

That lad in goals for Clare is the worst I've seen for a long time at this level. He can't catch (punches EVERYTHING away) and his kickouts are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would make you question the scouting of club players that they do

Or is it just a case of ‘ah ya he’s our goalie and that’s the way it is’

How among all of their clubs is there not a better keeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

But only half play football while the other half only play hurling. There's very little crossover so Mayo would have a bigger playing pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Donie Smith puts Ros a point up!😝

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lads have gotten All-Stars for less than Sexton showed today.

That was some free to level it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭snowgal

Unbelievable well done Clare!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭munster87

3 Munster teams in the last 8 now

Advertisement