Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hoggie132

hi im new to boards and just about to start the leg work getting quotes. can someone point me in the direction of good installers. not overly trusting of the f/book recommendations etc so if could bother a few for help pls. i am also going to head down the server rack batteries route so that i can expand over time.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Have you posted the quotes so others can comment?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Yes I have. You can see them in my previous posts.

Question to all with knowledge.

Does the inverter only have a lifetime of 10 years? How much to replace an inverter?

People work out payback time but dont consider the lifetime of the parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

When I tried check your previous posts via your profile all I could see was cycling posts, but with the new boards most things don't work right. Inverters last approx 10-15 years or more. You can extend the warranty on most. Panels last 25-30 years. Batteries lose performance but will keep on working.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There is no reason the inverter wouldnt last 25 years or last only a couple of years. Also if it goes it isn't necessarily a total loss. Maybe only a few mosfets/igbt blow and can be fixed easily

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

Update:

Without naming the company, I wanted to post an update on how this fit was progressing.

In a nutshell, they're not making much money out of us! In fact, it wouldn't surprise me is they have lost heavily.

But what I have to say is how absolutely amazing this company and its fitters are. All brilliant, all friendly, I wouldn't want anyone else doing this fit.

So the fit started on Tuesday (7th June). The roof/panel fitter and his right hand man arrived at 10:30. They're come ing to me from Dublin (I'm in Wexford) and had to collect the panels, rails, fittings etc. that morning. By 3:30, they gave up for the day having fitted 3 rows of brackets for 5 panels on the east facing dormer. The biggest issue was how the tiles on my house are fitted, and his slate rip wasn't long enough to get to the nail in the very top of the tile (unusual to nail the top of the tile).

On Wednesday, the top row on the right hand south facing side of the roof had the brackets fitted.

On Thursday they attended another job of 12 panels on a house. They started and finished that house on the same day! I wasn't mad as they had already given me two days. It also shows what a pain my house is for them!

On Friday, they were back and finished fitting the remainder of the brackets on the left hand south facing side. They were going to try to finish, but with ex storm Alex blowing a gale, they decided against it. Frankly I wouldn't have wanted them trying to fit panels on a 45 degree roof in storm level winds with occasional showers. They wanted to come back today (Saturday) to finish, but I mentioned the winds were forecast to remain high, so probably not the best decision, they agreed.

All the electrics are fitted. Although they changed the inverter model from a standard Solis (I thought it was hybrid, but I was wrong, it was my mistake) to a SunSynk Hybrid inverter. At least that gives me or a future owner of the house the option to fit a battery in the future if prices come down or I am gifted one! Reading about SunSynk, they get good reviews for longevity and efficiency so its all good. It's also supplied with a wifi data logger, so that should be fun! The electrician managed to run the cable from the "loft" where the inverter is fitted to the consumer unit in the utility room. How they did that is utter genius and totally unexpected. Eddi was fitted in the hot press wired to the twin immersion, Harvi and additional CT clamp was fitted. Eddi shows import from the grid and read to show import from the panels. Not sure where its fitted, I can't see it, but Eddi reports its existence, so that's all good. I don't think its the Eddi with built in Hub though, but I've yet to see one for sale, so I'll see how it goes, I might buy myself a Hub.

They also got the the latest 395 Watt panels for me. SO I have a potential 4740 Watts (yes I know I won't ever see that figure).

They're coming back on Monday to finish, they reckon 4 hours to fit the remaining rails and the panels. So with luck, I should be producing my own power in the afternoon, or at the very latest Tuesday.

So it has to be said that, to a degree, I understand now why the other companies said no, and why this one originally declined also. It turns out it was the owner of the company that assessed my house and said yes in the end. His philosophy is "take the rough with the smooth", he makes on some and loses on others and accepts that is what has to happen for the greater good. How wonderful would it be if every company had such a philosophy.

So I'm looking forward to Monday, I might get my first ever evening solar shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hla

Looks like you got a good deal BoxerX

More out of luck than judgement. I realise I could have been one of the "smooth" fits, but I know if I paid for man-hours rather than a set quote, it's unlikely I'd have been able to afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

So I am looking at getting a 2.5KW PV system for my house,

how many panels are needed and on avg what kind of prices should I be paying and what kind of system should I be looking at ?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

Hi all, I've just joined, and feeling scared as I have agreed to purchase the following for €12,879- grant of €2,370.

10Q cells Duo 385w black mono

Solis string inverter

Performance estimate 3307.92kwhr/year

Wifi monitor

Nc6 submission

Ground mounted.

My usage is 4000 kwhr per year

I currently have panels for hot water since 2007.

After reading this forum I think i might be getting ripped off.

I got a second quote from origional supplier.

2.28kW system

6. 380 watt solar pv panels

Solis inverter

Fully installed €3945 after grant. Subject to site assesment.

All advise greatly excepted.

I was given 2 weeks to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

So if I'm reading that right it's ~€10K for 3.85Kwp in panels and no battery or Eddi ?

(From the FAQ)

€1.2k per 1kWp in panels + €1K per 2kWh in battery + €550 (diverter/Eddi) = Rough price to pay. 

Plugging in your numbers.....

(€1.2K x 3.85) + (€0k as you have no battery) + (€0 as you have no eddi) = €4.62K, so potentially you are paying €5-6K over the odds.

The one caveat though .... that formula is designed for a roof mount. You have a ground mount and while I've not personally got one, they are typically more expensive to setup as you have to dig holes, pour cement, build a frame etc.

Is that going to be €4-5K though? Super unlikely.....so yeah, as much as I know doing the whole canceling thing is a pain in the botty......save yourself some money.

Aside: Your original quote for 2.28Kwp for €3945 is not bad. The formula doesn't really work well for small systems, but that's s decent price for 2.28Kwp. (I would however try to go bigger)

Thanks Bullit_dodger, I agree I think I'll get second quote to come out and get extra panels and see what price is, as they seem more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 18 stephenchilds

Hi all, unfortunately I jumped into solar before doing my research and am tied into a truly awful contract. Read it and weep (and let's all tell our friends to be more careful than me!:

8 x 370w Solarwatt panels = 2.96kwp

Solax X1 hybrid inverter [sold to me as "battery-ready" v. limited battery connectivity options]

4x panels needed optimisers

NO BATTERY

NO EDDI

8000 before grant, 6000 after !!!!

If I want a battery I am looking at another 3700 for 5.8kwh.

I reckon the price of components (retail!) should be less than 4000. So they are making 4000 out of less than 3 man-days of work.

It was a difficult install with panels all having to be individually mounted due to awkward roof shape. But still and all ...

Also it is 10 weeks since signing contract and while panels are up I still don't have a date for electrical installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

They're laughing. You definitely aren't. You got rud. Far too many companies doing it now.

To be fair (and I mentioned it above) that formula is only a rule of thumb and it doesn't really work well in the lower (sub 4.0Kwp) installations. The theory goes like this....that it costs "x" amount of money to get a guy out to put say 2 panels on your roof. However, it doesn't cost 2x to put 4 panels on your roof as he's already there. You've already paid for the "call out charge" so to speak. As a result, smaller installations don't really map to the formula.

So don't feel too bad about €6K for 2.96Kwp. Yeah, you paid more than you should have, but not multiple €1000's like others have done in the past. I'd say €4200-4500 is probably about right (ballpark) give or take. I was quoted some €13.5K (after grant) myself for 3.5Kwp and 5kwhr battery.....still doesn't "sit well" with me that.....nearly a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 stephenchilds

Thanks! Makes me feel a bit better. I will push them a bit and try and strip out any optional extras since the install is not yet complete.

And thanks to this knowledgeable group I have a much better understanding of options for future upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ah man sorry for your troubles. Too many companies are pulling this stunt of a partial install. The batteries and inverters are in good supply but not at the price they quoted.

this whole thing is a mind field, you really do need to do your home work, surely the government should be doing something if there serious about us going green, this is just gouging and SEAI must see this also when companies apply for the grant on customers behalf.

I've been in touch with the co' that gave original quote, explaining everybody is saying i can get cheaper. there response, O you want a cheap job, couldn't believe it, needless to say i will be cancelling, thanks to everybody, I'm still in shock at the price variants. Keep up the good work Maulbrook

Reading some recent quotes does make me wonder if the shortage of IC chips and the whole upturn in prices of gas and oil etc. has affected the quotes people are now getting.

It struck me that in my case two vans have driven from Dublin to Wexford 3 times so far with a 4th on Monday. With diesel at €2 a litre, that can't be cheap. And I could go into the shipping of our solar panels from China to Ireland, and the cost of building the inverter has gone up, Eddie's are in short supply, I've even seen a Harvi on eBay for £500!.....I could go on, but you get the gist.

Point being, is it not expected that prices of solar panel fits is increasing? If inflation is circa 9% with oil prices significantly more than that, surely we're going to have to accept a rise of the same in our SolarPV quotes? Of course let's remember that with electricity prices the way they are, our payback will be faster! Perhaps we need to re-calculate the costs per kW/p to take inflation into account?

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

There's a bit of cartel pricing going on with installers. Look at midsummer and solartricity - have their prices increased ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Prices have and are increasing, sure. Hence the adjustment in the pricing guidelines you'll see on this thread.

Also it's fair enough that some installers will add to the price if they're travelling a long way. If you're in Donegal and need to send a van or 2 to Cork for a 2 day job then that's a lot of time, diesel and/or an overnight stay.

But the gouging isn't a new thing. Certain companies have been doing it for years.

started Getting my quotes for my 2.5KW PV system,

what are the base ball park prices should I be looking?,

what kind of setup should I be looking at battery and eiddie ?

Is that the most you can fit? It's a pretty small system.

think so my house is a 1950s mid terrace and from my home check which was a waste of time this was the system that I should be looking at getting and quoted me 10k plus vat just for the panels, this is a one stop shop who quoted this,

how big should I be looking at going if it will fit ?

Look at earlier post, I was quoted for 2.28kWp system 6, 380 watt panels for just under 4k after grant Look at your usage from your supplier that will tell you what you need, if this is all you can fit then maybe it will cover 50% of your bill, and is it worth that investment to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I've been quoted figures between 6-7k for similar set up (2.8kw eddi but no battery).

For such a small system and at those prices it just doesn't make financial sense at the moment.

By the way, others may disagree but pointless to have a battery for such a small system specially with an eddi.

I get the feeling that many people come here without reading the FAQ. While it's not prohibited of course, people really are missing out a lot of good information there that could make your installation more optimal for you (and cheaper). If you haven't done so, I'd encourage people to read some/most of it.

Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

The "what size system" question comes up a lot. Basically the average house in Ireland uses 4,200 units a year. That would (IMHO) be well suited with 5Kwp in panels and a 5kwhr battery. Other people may have different views and that's ok, differences of opinions are good here, but I reckon 5Kwp (panels) and 5kwhr (battery) is the golidocks of a decent mid-spec'd system which would cover the majority of households. Expect to pay ballpark €8500-€9500 in todays landscape after grant reduction.

Should you go bigger/smaller? If you have the consumption yes, go bigger. But you don't want to be buying something that's sitting on your roof unused, likewise buying too small increases your payback timeline. Counter-intuatively, smaller systems have longer paybacks. It pays to sit down and think about this as it's an important decision. If in doubt, increase the size 10-20%....assuming budget allows of course.

Run a mile from that quote for a start...

Lots of installers I think are more recently steering people away from batteries. Not because they're a bad idea, but because 1 they're a harder sell due to loss of grant and 2 because they're in short supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Madrarua1

Hi,

Looking into maybe getting solar pv but not sure how beneficial they would be as I have an air to water system for heating and hot water. The house is a new build, A2 Ber rating.

I use 6300kw per year, 4900kw is used by the air to water system and the majority of this is used in winter.

The quote I was given is

Solar PV Installation

22 Q-cell 375kw Solar Panels

8.25 kw System

Huawei 6ktl Inverter

3.75kw at the back Facing South/East. 4.5kw Facing West

System on Average Generation 6316.71kwh

Fully Installed Price

Price excluding Post BER

€14,850.00 - after grant

I was told by the installer my bills would be more than halved but am not sure if solar pv are compatible with air to water systems.

Thanks in advance for any advise given.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement