Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well said, really quite shocking the lack of any compassion or understanding, I'm fortunate in that medications are available but horrendously expensive and very grateful to have a MC, there are many in far worse situations than I and its not so wrong to offer assistance, support and guidance to those who need it.

A lot of what I learned about the SW system is self thought during the Pandemic, I'm no expert but researched when it became apparent many, many people on Boards were new to SW with regard to PUP and illness supports on the state benefits Forum, some genuinely difficult situations. I didn't have to help, was working from home, was on PUP for a while but was happy to help along with more experienced posters including Mods with direct knowledge. It takes very little to show some compassion and understanding to people in difficulties.

I'm not for a second saying there's no need for reform or indeed abuses take place but assuming every person on SW is a scrounger or there's rampant fraud is just a shocking and appalling attitude to have.

Anyway well said on your Post 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts and responses to those posts deleted

If you cannot post in a civil manner then do not post at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,653 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In Australia during the pandemic the government were supplying the people with 42 inch televisions to get them to stay at home. An Aussie mate sent me a link to their Dept of Social Services website and he had a choice of 4 different TVs to pick from. iirc the allowance they had was $600, if they wanted something more expensive than that they had to top it up themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

The problem is the whole system just one example if your living in the countryside say a small village with little or no transport let's say your 21 and you need to purchase a car and the rest that goes with it I don't need to point out the cost it's very very difficult to get on your feet . So then that guy is put into this bubble a been a waster or look sure move into a bigger city with more prospects . Cost of living is higher also rent and so on the real wasters here are the government and the younger people are put between a rock and a hard place . Not everyone has it handed to them on a plate just saying. I also know a guy in a situation that he worked for the 20 year the last two year couldn't get work, he has a big family not because he wants extra welfare hand outs but just because he is a family man . So after been on the dole for two year and ashamed of it he went on a tus scheme to get out and have a few bob rolling into the bank. This guy came out much worse on the tus scheme than by been on the dole, so by going out doing work in his community and enhancing the look of the village it was less appealing to do such a scheme . Way too many small minded people on this given an input without knowing anything but what's really going on yes they are people who will absorb every penny of tax people's money without a thought but the majority need it and if some think it's a better life than their own well stop complaining and pop on the dole wagon if it's so glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The majority of applicants (52% last figures) in the relevant year are unemployed. Put up evidence that the majority in-situ in social housing are unemployed.

You're making big noise on this point, so lets see your sums.

Will we get a tumbleweed or are you going to show us something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Now your using the strawman argument. Lots of money is wasted on a minority of lazy people and I don't like the idea of giving more money to lazy people when we can try to give that money to people in need instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Social democrats want €10 a week raise on the sw. Wrong direction that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

'Lots'

'Lazy'

'wasted'

'Don't like'

This is all proto-Tory pathos. Nothing factual, all angryman sentiment convincing yourself you hold up the sky.

Not at all sure how your coming to those bizzare conclusions, I think I've made my views known on various crisis, I think it's fair to say and despite differences on this thread we all know to well the numerous crisis needing urgent attention.

But what these crisis have got to do with this thread and its clear agenda, namely generalisations, outlandish claims and SW bashing, remains mystery.

• Advertisement

Do us a solid and put it up then.

Once again, what percentage of in-situ social housing residents are unemployed? You say it's a majority, so lets see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Interesting. Why do you not want to talk about MNC tax avoidance and farmer's grants?

You seem very angry. Perhaps you should relax a little.

The proportion of main applicants whose employment status is ‘unemployed and in receipt of social welfare’ has been declining year-on-year from 59.8% in 2016, however the majority of main applicants remain in this category. In 2021, 31,541 households or just over half (53.2%) fell into this category, which is a decrease of just under 1 percentage point compared to 2020 (54.0%), as shown in Table 2.2.

Put that in your solid.

I am surprised that right wing boards posters have so much free time to be ranting and raving on the net out about those they consider beneath them (i.e. those dependent on social welfare, usually for genuine reasons). They obviously have hospitable employers. They should be giving back some of what they've earned under false pretences to their employer. It's called theft.

We know of course its absurd, met a, lovely lady last week, renting a property for 17 years, property sold, notice to quit, now living on a friends sofa, 52 years of age, separated, slightly above threshold for social housing but applied in desperation, now on housing list, can't find anywhere to rent, she reckons she'll be pension age before being offered a house. Lives in a town in Tipp.

Interesting recent article whereby a mother objected to demand from the social welfare to repay a miniscule social welfare grant just weeks after her son's death. It seems that fortunately, the minister took her concerns seriously.

Probably some of the extreme right on here will demand that the money be paid back in any case.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/06/11/heather-humphreys-apologises-for-letter-sent-seeking-repayment-of-disability-allowance/

🤣 You walked into that one dingus. As I said that's the percentage of unemployed applicants in 2021.

I'll repeat it, what percentage of in-situ social housing residents are unemployed? You're banging your pots and pans saying it's a majority, but have put up zero evidence that it's the case.

In fact I think I recall you doing this in another thread, and you scarpered when it was pointed out you were misleading with the exact same claim.

I find these posters focus on a limited amount of threads, generally around similar topics, they struggle they have is understanding most Users of Boards perfectly decent, objective and open minded and from over all experience always willing to help others wether is bea hobby, car trouble, gardening and indeed state benefits.

Speaking of Hobbies (slightly off topic) I'm into vintage cars, do I detect a love of MX5 in your user name 😉

• The employment status of most qualified households remains as unemployed and in receipt of social/community welfare benefit (54.0% compared to 54.4% in 2019) and the largest proportion of households continue to have an income source from social welfare only (59.2% in 2020 compared to 60.3% in 2019).

Is qualified enough??

What more do you want?e

You are trying to split hairs as the evidence you need is right there

• Advertisement

That's qualified applicants in an idividual year. Keep up.

That's enumerating the approx 60k qualified applicants in 2021. There are over 170k social housing units in Ireland at present.

You're saying that the majority in-situ social housing are unemployed, and when challenged, you keep on circling back and pointing at applications for an individual year. In short, you're pointing at the figures from social housing waiting list - and not tenants in-situ, which is the basis of your unproven claim, and what you're making the noise about.

You're either conciously misrepresenting, or you have comprehension issues. I don't know which it is.

And what about the 16.8K fully employed applicants applying for social housing in 2021 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

Plenty of anecdotes but little evidence on the thread

Have you a number on the fraudulent ones 🤔

a solid?

Except that he's wrong. And by extension so are you if you think he's doing anything but digging himself a deeper hole.

He has put up zero evidence of his claim that the majority of social housing residents are unemployed.

A so fully employed applicants are automatically fraudulent, is there honestly any cohort in Irish Society you don't think is scamming, perhaps monks 🙄

Do you? You're the chap claiming that the estimated fraud numbers (which are actually modest given the budget of the DSP) are "the tip of the iceberg".

Put your scuba diving gear on and show us the iceberg. What you heard on the high stool down the pub doesn't pass as evidence by the way.

I’m talking about the unemployed, we need to talk about the full cohort.

we need a solid.

• Advertisement

Advertisement