Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I have recently come across the podcast with Jim Power on Spotify.

Why do you say he is a clown? Is he not to be listened to or what is his story ?

Buddy ! We are not talking about price of cars parts here ! We are talking about Financial System in Total !

Read again :

Economists say that over time the sanctions will corrode growth and productivity, but the central bank has managed to stabilize Russia’s currency and financial system through drastic measures such as high interest rates, restrictions on flows of money out of the country and a requirement that importers sell their foreign currency earnings for rubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I enjoy his pod to but more for Chris's input than Jim.

He's most famous for this "soft landing" humdinger while speaking to an actual expert (Morgan Kelly) on RTE in 2007

Also he notably called the Obama era goverment "extreme left" lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wasn't Jim Power working for the banks when he was predicting soft landings?

Morgan Kelly had done his research and realised the whole thing would come crashing down.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It was a great piece of TV and in the context of the time it was huge. Kelly was predicting job losses in the construction sector, which many people would have found hard to believe at the time. But the fact Power was arguing, but not fully dismissing his opponent, showed the jig was up.

Some involved in the industry for a long time knew it was going to end, but many people didn't. It was clear the level of construction couldn't continue given the number of houses being delivered, but many mostly younger people didn't see it, there really was a belief that this time was different. Amazing time, incredible boom and savage bust, hopefully we don't get such extremes very often in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The state of the construction (and by extension, housing) industry back then compared to now is chalk and cheese.

Back then we were on a credit fuelled bender, we had insane property output as you say, people were taking out 100+% mortgages that were many multiples of salaries, people were buying investment apartments all over the place. There was so much discretionary spending going into this artificial market.

If / when we hit recession, I am not sure you can look back at 2008/2009 as an indicator as to what will happen next time, the situation today is just so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The European central Bank has been on a credit splurge, as have many other central banks but the ECB one is among the worst.

In many ways this crisis is a follow on from 2008, it wasn't dealt with properly then.

It's just been record cheap money and creating vast sums of it.

Who knows what will happen.

Even if we have growth it will still feel like a recession as wages do not Keep up.

It's a different twist this time but ultimately it is down once again to money being too cheap, no redundancy in the System.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes but this is still different than before, and goes back to the point that another poster made earlier about public vs private debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

What is the actual cause of this impending recession...

Is it been driven purely by the low supply of oil/gas thus driving the price of energy up and thus driving everything else up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

WOW, all of that, and yet you remain in the dirty capitalist west??? How could you remain here even one month , given your description of the west versus the heaven of the Russia that you describe?? Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Yep, I accepted a quote for work from someone in November, spoke to him again in March and he told me he'd keep me updated. Haven't heard from him since so I've no idea if he actually intends to do the job. I'm not gonna chase him about it, I haven't paid anything up front or signed anything. If he does it fine, depending on what his no doubt revised quote will be, if not I won't be looking for anyone else to do the work, I'll leave the money in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

And you can add another little nugget to the lifespan one, for every 1'000 Births in Russia there is 500 abortions. That's how eager women are are to bring children into the Russian paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

That is only one aspect, QE and unsustainable low interest rates which instead of benefiting by trickle down economics has instead ballooned an asset bubble like shares and property has also been a contributing factor. Supply chain issues from China has being another major cause and personally we have not seen the worst yet, when the food crisis kicks off come the tail end of the year with Ukraine and the fertilizer supply chain and input cost crisis, food costs will spiral out of control, and Putin knows this.

As the US dollar is strengthening the African and 3rd world countries are in a currency and debt crisis at present - sad thing is most of these countries are either in debt to Russia or China. Wonder who they will side with when times get bad worth noting not one African country condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The West has lost its influence internationally and it is not a good sign. This happened back in the late 70s early 80s with Nicaragua and other South American countries, but the US stepped in and issued Brady Bonds as the Russians were looking to bank roll them and the Americans didn't want pro Russian Communist regimes on their door step as well as the promotion of Communisms in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Japanese and South Korean stock markets closed down 3.5 percent today. Jitters about the US Fed raising interest rates too quickly that may tip the global economy into recession if done too quickly.

Dollar very strong against the Yen also.

You can see how this is a very fine balancing act.

For all the people calling for monetary tightening and sharp interest rate rises, We've seen this before, when interest rates hikes in the late 70s were done in a cavilier manner, and the global economy went south - giving us the bright and wonderful world of the 80s. Interest rate rises will cool inflation, but there will be a cost.

We're in a very uncertain phase.

Correct. The US dollar is among the safest of safe havens for a medium term play in conditions like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭riddles

The reality that businesses need to run on their profits and not borrowed money is a lot of it

Dollar is only strengening now because there are raising interest rates when compared to the other currencies and thats what comodities are priced in. That's what's happened Sri Lanka now.

Let's just hope these African countries run to them because at the minute the debt is owed to China and Russia.

When 3rd world countries wanted loans for infrasturture and economic growth the West didn't support them, China did and this was not out of the goodness of their hearts it was a planned Debt trap. They'll offer forgiveness but at what cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

2019 levels should be the benchmark so valuations, prices etc. only being back to 2019 levels is not actually anything to worry about. A lot of what is going on right now is just huffing and puffing, trying to spook the Fed.

At the same time, populism will fester (left wing or right wing, depending on the country) the longer the current runaway inflation and cost of living soars.

Tightening the supply of Dollars makes it stronger as it is the reserve currency and everyone needs it. Big difference chalk and cheese. No one needs Argentinian money and noone needs Rubles bar however closes to buy his oil and gas in rubles.

The dollar doesn't only strengthen because of interests rates. The same effect is observed in low interest rate conditions at a time of economic uncertainty. It's a safe haven currency.

It's the same reason why countries and institutions line-up to buy T-bills year-on-year.

• Advertisement

I totally agree with that but all I am trying to saty is that the stronger the dollar gets the harder it is for 3rd world countries to service there dollar denominated debt as well as the exchange rate for buying comodities like food and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Eh, wasn't the high inflation issue of the 70's fixed by high-interest rates by Paul Volcker? Sure, he caused a recession in the early 80's but high interest rates finally tamed inflation for good, well for the guts of 30-40 years anyway..

The issue here is letting inflation get out of control, which is much much harder to get under control once it does. Too much dithering by the central banks is going to ruin the world economy. I thought everyone was in agreement that the Fed missed the boat on this one and got inflation very wrong.

No, I don’t believe that everyone is in agreement. Too high too fast, with the resulting emerging market debt crisis, personal and sovereign debt defaults and financial system stresses, to accompany the global recession will ruin not just the global economy, but the whole global economic and financial system. So, yes, it is a tightrope, and inflation may well be higher for longer in the absence of an easing of supply side pressure

The Worst is The Better.

Everything what doesn't kill us make us stronger.

World was needed some sort of " correction " because too much people lost connection with reality and forgot 1929 and 2008 lessons.

Also some "correction" on housing market was also badly needed.What didn't do COVID the recession will do.

Time for some people to remember how money has to be earned and how money has to be spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

What has Eddie Hobbs have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I was on my early 30s when recession hit in 2008.I had happy full of parties and drinks life.Over time and extra hours didn't bother me so I had empty pockets when recession started.Everyone had happy life and everyone was saying that enough come to the bank and get as much you want.

I couldn't understand what happened in 2008 ! I left my job thinking that I will get another one tomorrow and another I got only in 2014 ! The Real One The Permanent !

The M1 motorway was empty ! There was more trucks than cars ! People which was celebrating and saying The Only Bright Future waiting for us lost them happy faces.Families were falling on parts losing homes and businesses ,suicides.Everybody was happy get Any job ! I remember how I was looking on my neighbours which was leaving home for work and I was jealous thinking How Lucky They Are !

But after time I started reading and discovering what really happened then what and why happened during many others recessions and I started live hamster life.Everything home and nothing outside ! I using every single hour working overtime at work ,I did 5 months without single day of once ,created new incomes and this time I prepared to this recession a lot better than to 2008.

But I see same people faces as before 2008.Same smiles same talks about loan for Holliday new car mortgage and We will Always have Bright Future .People never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Here it comes... Potentially up to 100 of the 400 strong workforce to get the chop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Completely agree with you here.

For 20 years the solution to every economic crisis has been stimulus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

For some people, it will be different this time. Covid gave people a chance to save and to invest. Those that did will come out of this recession in a good place.

Advertisement